Knicks Reluctant To Part With Fields In Possible Carmelo Deal

GeeboBXNY

Benchwarmer
Dec 15, 2010 8:15 AM EST

"Chris Sheridan of ESPN.com writes that while the Knicks may have the pieces needed to acquire Carmelo Anthony from the Nuggets, they may not be willing to part with them.

Denver especially covets rookie Landry
Fields, but New York is reluctant to move him.

Fields, a second-round pick, is playing under a two-year contract and will be an unrestricted free agent after the 2011-12 season."

I really hope we stick to our guns here. We really don't need Melo immediately and to lose Fields or even Gallo for him would not only disrupt chemistry, but would also be a huge confidence drop for the rest of our team. What Fields brings to the court is irreplaceable I don't care if your Carmelo Anthony.

Our most logical move is to move Randolph, Chandler, and Curry. I love Will the Thrill but I just don't see him and Melo meshing, too similar of games. Also i dont see us paying Will in the offseason. With a move like this we keep our core and can have one of the best 6th man in the league in Gallo, thoughts?

la2ny

Starter
yea this has been the overwhelming sentiment. if we can keep fields thats the ideal deal.

Gallo would still start because Melo essentially replaces Chandler in the starting lineup.

On another note,we have pretty much a 7 man team why cant we get rid of the dead weight an try some d-leaguers. isnt that what the minors are for? we could get our backup pg from there. Antonio daniels anyone? Also iknow theres some rebounding bigs in the D-League

metrocard

Legend
Fields can average 15-17 ppg, he was a crazy good scorer @ Stanford.
I don't see the need for Melo, rather see Fields develop within 5-7 years to a borderline all star player.

Fields can average 15-17 ppg, he was a crazy good scorer @ Stanford.
I don't see the need for Melo, rather see Fields develop within 5-7 years to a borderline all star player.

So lemme understand this right. You wanna pass on getting Kobe lite, to wait in Landry Fields 5-7 years from now to develop into a borderline all star, when Stat will be 33?

metrocard

Legend
So lemme understand this right. You wanna pass on getting Kobe lite, to wait in Landry Fields 5-7 years from now to develop into a borderline all star, when Stat will be 33?

Carmelo is nothing like Kobe. More like Glen Big Dawg Robinson on steroids. He's so hyped by you guys its not even funny. He's great at scoring, average at everything else. I rather just enjoy the well balanced roster we have right now that are all good offensively and can put stops on the defense. I wouldn't take Melo's defense over Feltons, Fields, Gallo, Chandler and Amare. The need for him is really illogical.
and Fields doesn't need to be an all star for us to win.

Carmelo doesn't promise us a championship.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
Carmelo is nothing like Kobe. More like Glen Big Dawg Robinson on steroids. He's so hyped by you guys its not even funny. He's great at scoring, average at everything else. I rather just enjoy the well balanced roster we have right now that are all good offensively and can put stops on the defense. I wouldn't take Melo's defense over Feltons, Fields, Gallo, Chandler and Amare. The need for him is really illogical.

Metro, I agree with you somewhat but you are way downplaying Melo here. He is an elite player in the NBA and that is a fact. Big Dog was very talented but was not half the athlete that Melo is or as strong as Melo is. Now, that being said, that doesn't mean Melo is a fit for the Knicks in it's current form and worth desemating your roster for. That is my biggest struggle over him right now, we would have to give Denver everything to get him and in the end, he might not fit and we would then have to reinvent ourselves to fit the Melo version of our roster and that might not be as succesful as what we have now. To be honest, I am torn!!

In addition to his scoring which has always been there.. Melo's rebounding has picked this season. I'd rather wait it out, but if we have to trade Landry to get Melo I think we might be forced to pull the trigger and take that risk. Dude's a flat out superstar.. like Amare.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Fields is a good player for a rebuilding team cause he's young, on a 2nd rounder's contract, and has a ton of upside and no real chemistry problems to speak of.

That being said if we could give up Fields instead of Gallo or Chandler I might opt for that one instead

la2ny

Starter
Exactly.

This isn't about points, we all know he can score.Melo gets the rap as a "scorer" because thats what everyone potrays him as because he does it so well. That man gets boards and actually pushing people around for them.For his position he is BIG,plays bully ball. He's also an underated passer.

Take Cleveland for example:
They had a chance last year to keep LeBron if they obtain the man who we are thanking god is here Amar'e "Freaking" Stoudemire for who you might ask? Well they didn't want to give up...J.J Hickson? WTF were they smoking?!?!? now look at them

My point is that certain players get bad raps because their scoring overshadowed everything else they did(case in point Amar'e) and secondly you can't grow attached to certain players or bank on future potential.

2 years ago in 2008 Sasha Vujacic was one of the main catalyst for the Lakers and was the "Landry Fields" of that team, then all of a sudden he reverted and now he's a Net for Joe Smith.

Im not saying just chuck away Fields, especially if you can keep him,but if it comes to it why cant we find another role player that gives what he gives. There are tons of diamonds in the rough out there, and if anyone can find em its DW.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Not just that but Fields' ceiling is a borderline All-Star.

Carmelo's a Future Hall of Famer.

If we can find a way to NOT give up Fields, then that'd be awesome, but if someone tells you you can swap Fields for Carmelo straight up and you didn't do it, you'd be the biggest moron alive.

Point being there's no reason to give up Fields if we can push Denver to the trading deadline and force them to accept a Bill Walker + Toney Douglas + Shawne Williams for Melo trade, but Fields, as good as he is, will not be as significant to this franchise as Carmelo will be.

la2ny

Starter
Not just that but Fields' ceiling is a borderline All-Star.

Carmelo's a Future Hall of Famer.

If we can find a way to NOT give up Fields, then that'd be awesome, but if someone tells you you can swap Fields for Carmelo straight up and you didn't do it, you'd be the biggest moron alive.

Point being there's no reason to give up Fields if we can push Denver to the trading deadline and force them to accept a Bill Walker + Toney Douglas + Shawne Williams for Melo trade, but Fields, as good as he is, will not be as significant to this franchise as Carmelo will be.
exactly

but you saw melo's face when he thought that dude said New York lmao his anticipation of the word New was crazy! lol

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
He wasn't speaking very loudly so when the guy asked "Nets?" he thought it was "Knicks" cause they both start with the "n" sound and then when he heard clearly that he was talking about the Nets...yeah, he was pissed.

I dont hype Melo. I know what he is, and he is way better than anyone we have on our team besides Stat. Therefore, if we got a chance to get another go to guy, and evn you will have to admit, that is what he is, you HAVE to do it. We are better off in a 7 game series with Melo than Wilson Chandler and Fields. Period. Even without a back up pg, more size pr whatever, Melo gives us a much better chance in any series than the guys we have.

And the second we signed stat meant we were no longer waiting on talent to develop. We are going for it now. By the way, Melo is 26. Is that not youth?

la2ny

Starter
metro doesn't like melo so theres no reason in trying to give all these statements about it.he'd just have to watch if melo becomes a Knick and learn to like him

metrocard

Legend
Metro, I agree with you somewhat but you are way downplaying Melo here. He is an elite player in the NBA and that is a fact. Big Dog was very talented but was not half the athlete that Melo is or as strong as Melo is. Now, that being said, that doesn't mean Melo is a fit for the Knicks in it's current form and worth desemating your roster for. That is my biggest struggle over him right now, we would have to give Denver everything to get him and in the end, he might not fit and we would then have to reinvent ourselves to fit the Melo version of our roster and that might not be as succesful as what we have now. To be honest, I am torn!!

I don't really have Melo in my top 15 to call him elite.

Based on my top 20 this season and the future

Tier 1
1. LeBron (consensus)
2. Kobe (consensus)
3. D12 (defensive player of the year)
4. STAT (MVP of the NBA thus far)
5. KD35 (best scorer in the league.

Tier 2
6. Gasol (Another MVP Candidate)
7. Dirk (MVP type season)
8. Wade
9. Paul
10. DW8 (Epic season)

Tier 3
11. BW0 (Should be higher, but I favor D-Will and Paul over him, is probably having the best season than any other PG though )
12. Rose (A gay version of Stephon Marbury)
13. K-Love (20 and 15...if he had defense, we're looking at a top 3 NBA player)
14. Blake (Can you say beast?)
15. Nash (Not the MVP we once knew, but 18 and 10 with crazy shooting percentage is undeniable)

Tier 4
16. Ginobili (Best player on the Spurs right now, who are a top 3 team in the NBA)
17. Rondo (despite having no scoring ability, best player in Boston)
18. Horford (incredible what he does for the Hawks, high IQ player and rarely makes mistakes. Best player on that team)
19. Wall (16 and 9 at his rookie year is quite epic, not even Paul did this, we're looking at the future NBA 1 PG of the NBA, he's in my top twenty now, soon to be in my top 5 3 years from now)
20. Felton (19/9 with 2 steals and great shooting, only going to get better)

Then you got guys who can compete on Melo's level(Tier 5 or 6)like Josh Smith, Scola, Curry, Odom, Gay, Gordon, Milsap, Ellis, Garnett, Noah, Bogut, Bosh, Curry.

la2ny

Starter
I don't really have Melo in my top 15 to call him elite.

Based on my top 20 this season and the future

Tier 1
1. LeBron (consensus)
2. Kobe (consensus)
3. D12 (defensive player of the year)
4. STAT (MVP of the NBA thus far)
5. KD35 (best scorer in the league.

Tier 2
6. Gasol (Another MVP Candidate)
7. Dirk (MVP type season)
8. Wade
9. Paul
10. DW8 (Epic season)

Tier 3
11. BW0 (Should be higher, but I favor D-Will and Paul over him, is probably having the best season than any other PG though )
12. Rose (A gay version of Stephon Marbury)
13. K-Love (20 and 15...if he had defense, we're looking at a top 3 NBA player)
14. Blake (Can you say beast?)
15. Nash (Not the MVP we once knew, but 18 and 10 with crazy shooting percentage is undeniable)

Tier 4
16. Ginobili (Best player on the Spurs right now, who are a top 3 team in the NBA)
17. Rondo (despite having no scoring ability, best player in Boston)
18. Horford (incredible what he does for the Hawks, high IQ player and rarely makes mistakes. Best player on that team)
19. Wall (16 and 9 at his rookie year is quite epic, not even Paul did this, we're looking at the future NBA 1 PG of the NBA, he's in my top twenty now, soon to be in my top 5 3 years from now)
20. Felton (19/9 with 2 steals and great shooting, only going to get better)

Then you got guys who can compete on Melo's level(Tier 5 or 6)like Josh Smith, Scola, Curry, Odom, Gay, Gordon, Milsap, Ellis, Garnett, Noah, Bogut, Bosh, Curry.
lmfao see what im talking about guys?