Mayo to NY as early as next week?

serendipity10

Benchwarmer
The Houston Rockets, according to the report, would trade back the 2011 first-round pick the Knicks surrendered in the Tracy McGrady deal in exchange for Randolph.

I'm more exited about this than Mayo. Mayo is a question mark and not to familiar with his game, maybe he can be rejuvenated coming to New York. This seems to be more of a rumor than the Randolph trade, but we will find out in a week or so.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
to bad that's last weeks news.

Actually part of another story that referenced it and was stating that the Knicks are close to making this happen... Yes, this rumor is not new but according to many sources, the Knicks are close to pulling the trigger on this....

NY_Swagger

Benchwarmer
Actually part of another story that referenced it and was stating that the Knicks are close to making this happen... Yes, this rumor is not new but according to many sources, the Knicks are close to pulling the trigger on this....

Okay, seems something is going to happen soon. With the way we're playing I dont know if this such a good thing.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
Okay, seems something is going to happen soon. With the way we're playing I dont know if this such a good thing.

It's a good thing unless you've settled for only wanting to watch the Knicks finally win a few games after a decade of irrelevance...but if you have a desire for a championship in NYC again, then you understand that there need to be changes made to take that next step. If the Lakers weren't championship contenders until they got Pau and Ariza, and Boston until they got KG, Ray, PJ Brown, and Posey, then the same goes for us. We need to add to Felton, Amar'e and Chandler...Mayo and Melo are two perfect fits. Then we get a solid big and a backup PG and we can see what we have and what tweaks need to be made to take several runs at those 50+ win seasons and hopefully some championships.

What we have now is good enough for a 5th, MAYBE 4th seed in the East. Nice considering our recent past, but not nice enough going forward.

Get Melo and Amar'e on the same team (two dudes that legitimately command a double team) and throw Mayo out on the wing to shoot and play some D on the other end and we're beginning to say something.

la2ny

Starter
It's a good thing unless you've settled for only wanting to watch the Knicks finally win a few games after a decade of irrelevance...but if you have a desire for a championship in NYC again, then you understand that there need to be changes made to take that next step. If the Lakers weren't championship contenders until they got Pau and Ariza, and Boston until they got KG, Ray, PJ Brown, and Posey, then the same goes for us. We need to add to Felton, Amar'e and Chandler...Mayo and Melo are two perfect fits. Then we get a solid big and a backup PG and we can see what we have and what tweaks need to be made to take several runs at those 50+ win seasons and hopefully some championships.

What we have now is good enough for a 5th, MAYBE 4th seed in the East. Nice considering our recent past, but not nice enough going forward.

Get Melo and Amar'e on the same team (two dudes that legitimately command a double team) and throw Mayo out on the wing to shoot and play some D on the other end and we're beginning to say something.
I love this guy

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
i like the way the team is playing but im all for a trade as long as these two things happen:

1. it improves the team( Mayo might do that )

2. we dont give up too much( especially for Mayo )- i think for Mayo, Walker and a second round pick could do the trick.

I like mayo and i think he'll help us out a lot, he's a scorer and when STAT is sitting we still have a player who could demand defensive attention. and as for Felton until we get a soild backup Mayo can run the point( to some extent ) while Felton gets a rest

our priorities in this trade season should be adding a solid backup big and solid backup PG as well as a scorer ( mayo or Melo ) long as the price is right

tiger0330

Legend
He could help our bench, Mason is useless and AR who knows. The guy has fallen from grace, declining numbers since his rookie season and now riding the bench for the Griz, I think the change of scenery would be just what he needs.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Mayo's been on the decline ever since his rookie season. Check the stats, they've gotten progressively worse in almost every category. Markedly so. He's been bumped from the starting 5 for rookie Xavier Henry, and has averaged 8 points (and declining) since.

His salary increments from this year are - all in the plus million - $4-5-7M, over the next three years.

I'm really not buying in to this dude at all. If he becomes a Knick, I'll be sceptical until convinced to be otherwise.

We offer Memphis Walker as relief for their cap and hopefully drop Rautins in the attempt. Nothing more. At the salary cost, we could be shooting ourselves in the foot with this guy.

Getting him on the cheap would prove to be a huge steal. Can't tell me he can't atleast be as good as Barbosa was in this offense

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I think OJ Mayo would shine great at MSG.

You guys are forgetting that he almost stole Rookie of the Year honors from Derrick Rose.

I think he'll benefit from having an offense that takes advantage of the 3-point shot (Mayo is a career 38.4% from 3 which would instantly make him the best long-range shooter on our team). In Memphis he doesn't really have a whole lot of role models to look up to but I think he'll benefit from having STAT and Felton on the same team as him giving him some good guidance to become a better player and harder worker...the talent is there.

Oh and he also plays DEFENSE.

Memphis is eager to get rid of him, they're eager to shed salary, we can trade them Bill Walker and/or Kelenna Azubuike (expiring) and they'll save tons of money and we get a quality player that can either be traded for Melo/Center OR become an integral part of our offense.

I think his athletic ability, shooting ability, and defensive ability are going to serve him well for us. He's a bit of a streaky scorer but I think that has as much to do with the fact that he doesn't get a whole lot of looks as well as the fact that he's riding the bench than it does his not being a good player.

Even this year he's had some big games, and I think he'll have huge success when Amar'e kicks the ball out to him.

Imagine:

Felton-Mayo-Gallo-Chandler-Douglas-Williams-Fields can all shoot pretty well. That'd give us great shooters out on the wings to complement Carmelo/Amar'e/both. Most of those players are also versatile scorers who can drive the ball to the basket and draw fouls (particularly Gallo) and I feel that'll also work to our advantage...there's no such thing as a scorer who's too versatile.

Clowns that wanted a good 3-point shooter in Rudy Fernandez? Mayo is just as good a 3-point shooter as Rudy is. He's just as athletic, much quicker, and a better defender who can guard both PGs and SGs.

Let's not forget that Mayo was drafted 3rd in a draft class ahead of Russell Westbrook, Kevin Love, our own Danilo, Brook Lopez, Eric Gordon, and DJ Augustin. The kid's got game...scouts recognized it during the draft, and let's not forget that when he was runner-up for ROY in 2008-2009 there were some who thought he might have a better career than Derrick Rose.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Honestly we should pull the trade ASAP because Memphis is so cheap they'd be eager to save money by dumping OJ Mayo for Bill Walker.

It'd eat into our cap but it'd give us the flexibility to trade one of our young players if Mayo turns out to be good for us. If he's a solid scorer on the wing we might opt to trade Wilson Chandler or Landry Fields, who knows.

If he doesn't run out to be good he's a pretty easily tradeable player since he's young, finished runner-up for ROY, and just all-around solid. Could spin him in a trade for a C or in a trade for Carmelo if that's possible (dunno rules on trading a player twice within season).

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
Mayo's been on the decline ever since his rookie season. Check the stats, they've gotten progressively worse in almost every category. Markedly so. He's been bumped from the starting 5 for rookie Xavier Henry, and has averaged 8 points (and declining) since.

His salary increments from this year are - all in the plus million - $4-5-7M, over the next three years.

I'm really not buying in to this dude at all. If he becomes a Knick, I'll be sceptical until convinced to be otherwise.

We offer Memphis Walker as relief for their cap and hopefully drop Rautins in the attempt. Nothing more. At the salary cost, we could be shooting ourselves in the foot with this guy.

Also, keep in mind that his role has changed and the reduction in minutes has reduced his numbers.... So, whether his numbers truly reflect his play or is just mirroring his playing time is really the question. From what I read about him, his numbers are only down because of his minutes....

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
Also, I think we are missing the bigger picture here and this might be part of a bigger picture. Denver really like Fields so Mayo might be Fields replacement....

tiger0330

Legend
Also, I think we are missing the bigger picture here and this might be part of a bigger picture. Denver really like Fields so Mayo might be Fields replacement....
Good point. Gives Donnie flexibility as well, Mayo could replace on our roster Fields if Denver insists on Fields. I like OJ, not sure what's going on in Memphis but he has talent.

tiger0330

Legend
latest news

O.J. Mayo: Grizz owner give Mayo a pep talk
O.J. Mayo - G - MEM - Dec. 17 - 1:13 am et

Grizzlies owner Michael Heisley met with O.J. Mayo to give him a vote of confidence and to tell him he is part of the team's future plans.
"I wanted O.J. to know how much we think of him," Heisley said. "I stand behind our plan. My goal is to keep these five guys together and try to build a good team. We had a good talk. There were no problems." Mayo had 24 points on Wednesday, his best game since being demoted to a bench role, but the game was never close. As long as he's not starting, vote of confidence or not, he's going to be inconsistent coming off the bench. Dec. 17 - 1:13 am et
Source: Memphis Commercial Appeal