Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Warriors agree to deal Dampier

I wanted to ask you guys about Bessy... I mean, he's good PG, he's decent and he's tight at D... I think it would be great to get him to our bench. His cousin could've influence his game and push him to become a great player. What do you think?
    youre referring to Telfair right? it would be nice to see him here but apparently Portland(read: Mo Cheeks) is in love with him and its improbable that we will see him here in the near future..

Originally Posted by Twisted NY Assassin
    The Dampier deal is great. The only thing that concerns me is that I read we are looking at giving him a 6 or 7 year deal starting at 9mil/season and ballooning to 14mil at the end. I can tell you he is not going to be worth crap at the end of this deal. Hopefully, Isiah makes it a team option after 4 years or so. Remember, Dampier for his career has a 8 point, 8 rebound, 2 block average until last year when he was playing for a contract. I am very comfortable with the players we give up for him, but have a long term concern for the state of the franchise in 5 years + if we give him that large and long of a contract.
    As far as Crawford trades go, I also read today that Chicago and NY are still working on it with Penny now being included potentially in the deal to mentor the young Bulls and teach them(also with a few expiring contracts like mutombo and trybanski, but without including K. thomas or F. Williams).
    We will see soon. In Isiah we trust.

David
    this is a very good point uve made, i kinda looked at it the same way, but i think isiah will push his players to play up to their potential or else he would have them gone, i hope this works out

interesting.. I might be able to deal with losing Penny to get Crawford.. if that means we keep KT and FWill, even better.. we'd be losing some leadership but.. it might work.

In today's NY Post

Erick Dampier flew yesterday to Salt Lake City, where the Hawks are playing their summer league. There, Dampier was to be wined and dined by the Hawks brass - GM Billy Knight and VP Dominique Wilkins - in talks that would greatly determine the Knicks' future. Knicks president Isiah Thomas, who hopes to give Dampier the red-carpet treatment, too, was back home in Indiana, waiting with bated breath, because it's nearly three weeks into July and he has yet to upgrade his roster. But $74.1 million - not one lobster dinner in Utah - will tell the tale of whether Dampier becomes a Knick this week. And that is why the Knicks appear in solid position to land the Warriors' 6-foot-11 unrestricted free agent whom Thomas feels is needed with Shaquille O'Neal now in the East.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    from what i've heard, the hawks' offer is much less then ours, so dampier should be in the big apple soon

Dampier is in the bag, he is definetely coming to the Knicks. The Hawks would be stupid to give him all that money without having a good team to go along with Dampier like US to contest for the title. They need the money they have to acquire more than one piece or even a more talented star than Dampier. Now the waiting game is on because Dampier's agent is trying to squeeze another year out of the Knicks offer. Instead of a 6 year deal he is trying to get the max which is seven. Dude is using the Hawks as leverage making the Knicks think they will top there offer so that the Knicks be tempted to offer the seventh year as more incentive.

dasilva1079 is right. Damp's agent is trying to squeeze everything out of us he can(like the 7th year). Honestly, as this deal unfolds, I hope the Knicks dont get Dampier. Nothing against him, and a lot of you might not understand this, but he only helps our team for the next 2-3 years. Thats if he does not have an injury(remember he got hurt at the end of the season last year and could not finish it). Other than that we will have an overpaid, slow big man in a few years who makes too much for too many years, preventing us Knick fans from obtaining someone better down the road that will want to come to NY. Remember when everyone wanted Ewing and his huge contract gone because he was too slow and his game had declined. This deal is too risky for me. I would love to have Dampier, but not for that price tag.

David

Originally Posted by dasilva1079
    Dampier is in the bag, he is definetely coming to the Knicks. The Hawks would be stupid to give him all that money without having a good team to go along with Dampier like US to contest for the title. They need the money they have to acquire more than one piece or even a more talented star than Dampier. Now the waiting game is on because Dampier's agent is trying to squeeze another year out of the Knicks offer. Instead of a 6 year deal he is trying to get the max which is seven. Dude is using the Hawks as leverage making the Knicks think they will top there offer so that the Knicks be tempted to offer the seventh year as more incentive.
    The Pacers are in the mix as well.

IMO a 7 year contract would not be wise for Damp.. i think he has 4 years max of productivity, maybe even less.. however, we are in a tight spot and need a big man inside..

I agree with you guys about not giving Dampier a seven year contract, but honestly if the six year wasn't enough and I had to choose of either going another season without having a presence in the middle that can go big minutes, rebound and block shots or giving Dampier a seven year deal. I would have to go with the seven year deal. Eventhough its not the smartest thing, look at it this way, we are already spending mad money on so many players, we have a decent squad, and you know that we can't win without a big man. So might as well throw the rest of the chips in and get him instead of wasting all that money and losing anyway. At least we will have a better shot at the big picture. Anyways look at how much of a difference Mutombo makes for us when he is in the game. The man is guaranteed to get you at least 3 blocks a game, but he is old and slow now so he can't play that many minutes. You think the Nets woulda swept us if we had Dampier and they didn't get all those layups? Make the other teams shoot from outside thats the trick, there aren't many people out there that can shoot consistently like Alan Houston.

The Dampier deal may be dead as far as the knicks go now that GS traded VanExel for Dale Davis. They dont have a pressing need for our players now. I read this am that they are still open to trade with us but want all expiring contracts or young potential players. Now I definately do not like this deal. Besideds giving too long a contract and for too much, now we have to let more and better players go for him. I am totally not sold on his play anyway. History shows that a player like Dampier who has 6 or 7 mediocre seasons, and then busts out in his contract year, resorts back to his mediocre play after they get the big contract. He is fragile like Camby as well. I say stay away at this point. Plus, all the attention in the media about the Knicks closing in is creating a frenzy with the Pacers and Grizzlies getting back into the mix. Based on how teams are overpaying guys this offseason(like B. Cardinal getting 6year/39million), you can almost surely forget Damp coming to NY. I dont think he is that hot on the Knicks anyway or he would have pushed for the Knick deal sooner, rather than go to Atlanta and now I read he is going to talk to memphis again. Let reopen talks with Chicago and GET A DEAL DONE FOR CRAWFORD!

David

i think this is a great trade

isaih need to take action before this trade is totally gone. this probably the most important trade because we need a big man. espeacily with shaq in the conference now.