Magic take away a trading option for Knicks

la2ny

Starter
The Orlando Magic, already in serious trade talks with the Washington Wizards about acquiring Gilbert Arenas, have agreed to a deal in principle with the Phoenix Suns, according to league sources.

The trade returns former Magic star Hedo Turkoglu, along with Jason Richardson and Earl Clark, to Orlando in exchange for Vince Carter, Marcin Gortat, Mickael Pietrus, a 2011 first-round pick and cash considerations.

Orlando, losers of five of its last six games, is also close to acquiring Arenas for Rashard Lewis, sources said.

Magic president Otis Smith told The Associated Press on Saturday that he has had serious talks this week with the Wizards about acquiring Arenas.
Smith said he would rate the aggressiveness of the talks at an "eight out of 10" but that "nothing is imminent." He would not talk specifics of the potential deal with The AP.
The two teams have been discussing a deal involving Arenas off and on since last summer.
Arenas and the Wizards have been open to parting ways since Washington landed point guard John Wall with the No. 1 pick and thereby providing a new face for the franchise.
Arenas was suspended last season for the final 50 games by commissioner David Stern after a locker room incident involving gun play with former teammate Javaris Crittenton came to light last Dec. 23.
The Magic have plenty of lucrative pieces to package in a trade in addition to Carter's expiring contract. Lewis, who has 2? years remaining on a $118 million, six-year deal, would line up with Arenas' backloaded contract -- which still has about $60 million left.
Arenas was at Washington's morning shootaround but did not speak to reporters.
"Have we had conversations with a number of teams regarding guys on our roster? Of course we have," Smith said. "Do we like losing five of six? Of course not. Yeah, there's conversations with Washington regarding Gilbert Arenas."
The latest round of talks, first reported by Yahoo! Sports, come as no surprise.
Smith has been a close friend and mentor to the troubled guard going back to their days together at Golden State, when Smith was in the front-office and Arenas was a young player. Smith has said in the past that Arenas' troubles, which, in addition to last year's 50-game suspension, included faking an injury to sit out a preseason game this year, are not a concern.
"The length of his contract and health probably have been more of my concerns," Smith said. "With the length of his contract, you're always concerned about taking on more, of course. That's always been one of my concerns. I know a little bit more detail about Gilbert off the court and who he is as a person.
"He's probably similar to the guys we have in the locker room right now. I would say that sometimes good people make dumb decisions, and he's one of those guys."
Arenas, a three-time All Star, has had several knee problems that limited him to 47 games over the previous three seasons. But while playing alongside -- and often behind -- Wall this season, Arenas has showed flashes of his old self.
He has averaged 17.3 points and 5.6 assists per game this season, including a season-high 31 points in a loss against the Magic on Nov. 27. The Magic have made strong pushes to acquire Denver's Carmelo Anthony and New Orleans' Chris Paul, but with those talks showing little progress, they might be forced to make another move.
Orlando has lost five of its last six games, including a frustrating 1-3 West Coast trip, falling from first to fourth in the Eastern Conference. The Magic were set to host Philadelphia on Saturday night, and Washington was hosting Miami.
"I circled the West Coast trip on our schedule a long time ago," Smith said. "The West Coast trip, to me, was going to decide whether or not we're going to either fix our woes or continue down the same path. I don't think we've played particularly well leading up to the West Coast trip. So, we were on the West Coast trip and some of our woes continued, so you start to explore opportunities that are out there."

So J-Rich is gone and as a trading option.Who's left for us to obtain now since so many were in love w/ the J-rich,Tyson chandler option

iSaYughh

Starter
Seems like good news, if anything. Takes away a prime competitor to swoop in on a Melo trade.

Plus, trading for Richardson would have taken us out of being able to get Melo by trade or signage, assuming we didn't just trade him to be a rental.

This is a sick trade for ORL, though. And apparently they are getting Arenas for Rashard.

I don't think Chandler would be good, either, in any event. He's overpaid and will want starter money even if he accepted a role as not being a starter for us. We either need a C who fits the teams style like a glove and can move and has offensive skills (Gasol), or we need a guy who will be a role, albeit key role playing big man, who will be coming off the bench while Amare still logs minutes being a 5 (Gortat, not that he's an option, or just a guy like Glen Davis who isn't a C, per say, but we wouldn't be going for a traditional 5, so much as a bruiser of a big man who can be good off the bench and situationally and won't command starting C dollars)

KingCharles34

All Star
Now phoenix has Wince? :lol:

The suns have taken more L's then any other team since Stoudemire signed with us :lol:

The magic will be tougher now though

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Magic traded up quality-wise but you gotta think that they're really ruining their cap situation, aren't they?

With Arenas and Turkoglu, I just looked...they're going to be over the cap until the 2013 season...

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
This all matters whether they got pre-Arenas and pre-Turk. If they did, this team is nasty. If not, then you have one HUGE finacial mess. They will have no cap relief anytime soon. Both of those 2 have insane contracts.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Yeah I mean the Magic are STUCK with the lineup they've got. If they win a title, fine. If they don't, it's going to be awfully hard for them to upgrade their roster.

KingCharles34

All Star
I think what the Magic did is great, Turkoglu fit in with the Magic so much better then vince did. I knew as soon as they traded turkoglu for vince that it meant R.I.P. to there chances of beating a healthy boston team in the playoffs. And they got Jason Richardson who is better then both carter and pietrus. And now the Agent Zero trade is official now too. Id say they got a shot at being the best team in the east, Im not sure how this new roster will match up with the scumtics

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
Just taking a random prediction (haven't really watched much Agent Zero or Turk so this is just my guess), I think Arenas is going to be a 22-24 ppg guy, while Turk will struggle still. We'll see how things work out though.

For the Knicks hope...I hope this does not work out, because if it does this is one tough ass team.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Furthermore what's the trading option that the Magic took away from us? Did anybody seriously think we were getting Richardson or Arenas or Turkoglu? Arenas or Turkoglu were HELL no's because of their contracts...

la2ny

Starter
Furthermore what's the trading option that the Magic took away from us? Did anybody seriously think we were getting Richardson or Arenas or Turkoglu? Arenas or Turkoglu were HELL no's because of their contracts...
mainly j-rich and possibly gortat