Brace Yourself: Carmelo N-O-T coming to the KNICKS

mafra

Legend
We all knew this day was coming. I mean, we root for the NY Knicks, don't we? What were the odds we would have our dreams realized, and have lady fortune finally smile upon our collective faces?

What a Christmas treat? Just in time to spoil the holidays and our good moods, huh? After the loss in CLE, it seems the cold water of reality is splashing us in the face again.

1- Nets about to make mega deal
2- A few teams willing to rent Melo for a title run

Either way, Walsh will not get his man (again), and now the Knicks are stuck in the mud.

It appears that horrific trade, sending Jared Jeffries to HOU, is coming back to haunt Donnie Walsh and NY Knicks fans again- and will be responsible for foiling the latest attempt to get this team title-ready.

The impetus behind the deal to send Jeffries away was to get NY under the cap to make a run at Lebron James PLUS another star. Well, it didn't work and now that trade will be directly responsible for why we cannot pursue Carmelo Anthony.

If we didn't make the trade, we would have our 1st round pick to trade this year. We would be able to grab another 1st rounder (dealing Chandler or Randolph), and thus would be able to match DEN's requirement of 2 1st round picks.

OH freaking well.

On to PLAN-C.

Target Tyson Chandler or Marc Gasol in the offseason. TRADE for a few pieces now (a semi-star w/ a bad contract some team wants to move, along with a backup PG and a backup C)

- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - =
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AmcrZwwmmz_oOIt0g2eQmxw5nYcB?slug=aw-anthonytalks122110

Nets structuring new deal for Anthony

By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports 5 hours, 14 minutes ago

The Denver Nuggets and New Jersey Nets are advancing on another complicated multiteam trade proposal that would likely fit Carmelo Anthony?s criteria for signing a contract extension with the Nets, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Anthony is inclined to accept a trade and contract extension with New Jersey over his preferred choice of New York only if the Nets are able to bring back a package of significant talent with him, league sources involved in the talks said on Monday.

So far, there are trade scenarios that include a combination of Anthony?s Denver teammates ? including forward Al Harrington ? and other league players coming to the Nets.

?The way this is structured now, the Nets will significantly upgrade their team,? said one NBA executive involved in the talks.

Said a Western Conference executive whose team has pursued Anthony: ? ?Melo wants something similar to the Orlando deal, where he won?t have to go into New Jersey ? or anywhere he?s going ? without some help right away.?

Denver?s and New Jersey?s trade partners are still unclear, but league executives said the Nets and Nuggets are tweaking several possible proposals with multiple teams. For now, New Jersey general manager Billy King is preparing to send rookie forward Derrick Favors, the expiring contract of Troy Murphy, two or three future first-round draft picks and $3 million to Denver for minimally Anthony and Harrington. More Nuggets and Nets would likely be on the move, too.

Center Brook Lopez is the only Nets player not involved in any of the proposals, sources said.

The Nuggets? sudden urgency to move the unhappy Anthony is the reason more teams have been calling lately, including two contenders who are willing to chase a championship with Anthony as a rental player, a league source said. The Nuggets could do those deals without consulting Anthony, because those teams aren?t requiring a contract extension with Anthony to make the trade.

Several executives involved in the talks believe a deal will come sooner than later. Denver has made clear to teams the bidding process will culminate long before the Feb. 24 trade deadline.

No deal is imminent, but sources involved in the talks believe that early January is a realistic target. The New York Knicks are still Anthony?s preferred destination, but so far there are no trade packages involving the Knicks that interest Denver. Knicks GM Donnie Walsh and Nuggets GM Masai Ujiri have been talking more in the past couple weeks, but sources said Denver officials still prefer the Nets? multiple picks and Favors.

Nuggets president Josh Kroenke and Ujiri haven?t spoken in two weeks with Anthony about the approval process on a trade, a source said, but they?ve proceeded with an understanding that fattening a package for the Nets will go a long way toward getting him to sign an extension. When the time comes, the Nets are planning to have owner Mikhail Prokhorov personally sell Anthony on the Nets? future in Brooklyn beyond 2012.

There are no teams involved in the pursuit of Anthony, including the Knicks, who believe Anthony is willing to pass on a contract extension before the trade deadline. With the owners determined to make sharp cuts into player salaries with a new collective bargaining agreement, Anthony?s willingness to accept a compromise sign-and-trade to get his three-year, $64 million extension illustrates his reluctance to enter free agency under a more restrictive salary structure.

The Nets would need to trade point guard Devin Harris to a third team to help bring back more talent, and somehow they have to come out of this trade with a veteran replacement. Chauncey Billups is a possibility, but there are questions about how much longer he can perform at an elevated level. Another player the Nuggets will likely move is shooting guard J.R. Smith, who has drawn interest from the Chicago Bulls. Smith is making $6 million in the final year of his contract, and would love to end up with the Bulls, sources said. So far, Denver has resisted Chicago?s overtures on Smith because it may need to include him in a larger deal with Anthony. Bulls GM Gar Forman has been calling league personnel to do more research on the temperamental Smith, sources said.

The Nuggets and Nets had the framework of a four-team trade with Utah and Charlotte in October, but the deal ultimately fell apart. As involved as that scenario was, one executive involved in the past and present discussions described these as ?a more complex, even bigger deal.?

Red

TYPE-A
Even with Melo, the Nets won't be better than us.

Any team that goes all in to "rent" Melo 1) is dumb if they don't win it all 2) will only be helping us out by allowing us to sign as a FA

This deal doesn't happen imo.

We wil get him if he is moved. No worries.

Plus when u think about it, no team that Melo realistically can go to will be better than the team he is on. And we are better especially if we add size. That said, Melo should know we are a few players from making a run. He can roll with us or get rolled over.

Our priority still is in the size dept., without that Melo won't matter.

mafra

Legend

Any team that goes all in to "rent" Melo 1) is dumb if they don't win it all 2) will only be helping us out by allowing us to sign as a FA

Plus when u think about it, no team that Melo realistically can go to will be better than the team he is on. And we are better especially if we add size. That said, Melo should know we are a few players from making a run. He can roll with us or get rolled over.

Who knows what other parts NETS will get. Maybe AI. Maybe Wallace? We don't know. Melo-Lopez plus a few more parts might be enough.

Make no mistake about this, Carmelo wants to get paid. He wants that extra year and 15-20 mil he can only get if traded now and signs extension.

He's saying he wants to be a Knick, but that will only happen if Walsh makes a deal. TRUST ME. Playing out the season and signing Melo will not happen. I highly doubt that's even a possibility.

This russian owner and their GM will find a way to make this happen.

Of course, you read reports like this: http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/12/21/nuggets-to-observe-carmelo-anthony-with-full-cast-nets-not-idea/ and you do get the jist that Melo wants the kNicks. Maybe he's flating this story to force Walsh to make something happen.

I believe in 2 things though:

1- DEN will make it very difficult for the kNIcks to get Melo. Think losing Fields, Chandler, Gallo and Randolph.

2- About 10 percent chance Melo plays out season, risks losing millions, and we sign him as a free agent in July.

I honestly believe the only way this works out for the Knicks is if Walsh gets creative enought to get a player like Mayo back in return, along w/ Carmelo.

I think if Knicks can end up keeping Fields, or getting a Mayo, then Knicks have a slight chance to make something work.

BUt remember.... we rarely catch a break here. So, don't get your hopes up.

Last edited:

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
I don't think losing Melo to another team is the end of the world! Like I posted in another thread, there are many players that are available that can help the Knicks become a great team!! Listen you can't believe everything you read but if for some reason that does happen do not despair this is not the end of the world!

Knicks4Life_1985

★The Floor General★
I want him like the next man. I have been a fan up until the day he socked Mardy and ran from Jared and Nate.... With that being said I will be happy to see the Nets trade away all their chip for nothing.

Even with Melo they are still scum of the division. Hey it could be the best thing for us, maybe we will finally get back to real baskeball and give up on these pipe dreams for other teams super stars.

The best deals are the ones that are not talked about, I am not 100% sure but I dont think the Lakers yapped about Gasol months before they got him. They were stealth and they got what they wanted now look at them.:gony:

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
I want him like the next man. I have been a fan up until the day he socked Mardy and ran from Jared and Nate.... With that being said I will be happy to see the Nets trade away all their chip for nothing.

Even with Melo they are still scum of the division. Hey it could be the best thing for us, maybe we will finally get back to real baskeball and give up on these pipe dreams for other teams super stars.

The best deals are the ones that are not talked about, I am not 100% sure but I dont think the Lakers yapped about Gasol months before they got him. They were stealth and they got what they wanted now look at them.:gony:

Well, that being said if the trade does happen they are still Keeping Lopez and Harris... That makes them serious contender and on par with NY. We beat NJ but we really didn't take hold of that game until Harris went out.... I do not want to face that trio and I am sure other fans here will agree; not with what we have now! The good news is that the Melo drama will be over and these super stars can stop holding us hostage and we can move on. If the Nets get him I hope Donny goes after Iggy! I think we get him with out giving up really anything... Maybe picks... I also hope they look at Gerald Wallace, I really hope they give him a serious look!

I seriously doubt he goes to the Nets, he'll be better off staying in Denver. Mello wants to compete for titles in a big market. He doesn't have to bow down to any demands or trades he doesn't want. Denver haves no real say in the matter. Mello is the captain of the ship....and rightfully so.

I believe the Nets are blowing up the team and rebuilding reguardless if Mello goes there or not. I just hope the Nets look like a solid team by the time they come to Brooklyn.

petescud

Starter
That's too much to give up for Melo from any team mentioned. Let the chips roll as they will. There are other avenues. We need to improve defensively, and Melo isn't a great defender. Also what do we gain if Melo averages 24 points a game, and we give up Gallo (about 16 PPG) Chandler (about 18 PPG) Fields (10 PPG) and we aren't even talking rebounds, as in MAD system, you need second opportunities.....I'm really at a crossroads with this trade.....Let's trust Donnie

KingCharles34

All Star
i really dont give a fukk about Melo....I've made up my mind, we dont need him. I still have a feeling we will get him after this year. The Nets are gonna gut there team only so he can not re-sign with them. That part of it I love, fukk the Nets

mafra

Legend

Well, that Gasol to LA deal was an unique situation. Basically, ex Lakers great Jerry West just handed his former team a gift as he was about to leave MEMPHIS. Much like what Mchale did with Garnett to BOS. In the real world, on this planet, those deals never happen.

Sure. No news is good news. And this is simply more hearsay. However, it's clear DEN is going to deal Carmelo before the trade deadline, and if Carmelo is traded the odds of him ending in NY drop significantly IMHO.

I'm moving on. Knicks need to improve now. IN other words, there are deals to make this team better... and these are moves we have to consider. Save enough money to sign Tyson Chandler or Marc Gasol, and move on with life.

Go get a Mayo. DO something. We waited 2 years to make moves. I dont eant to si tight and wait another hoping we get a guy. If the trade deadline approaches and we dont get Anthony, Walsh has to make alternative moves.

serendipity10

Benchwarmer

Agree and if the Nets get and keep Melo there are other options. Plan B the way I see it is Iggy and a Center hopefully Gasol.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Players that are on the market or likely on the move:

Andre Iguodala
Richard Hamilton
Jamal Crawford
O.J. Mayo
Hasheem Thabeet
Chauncey Billups
Sebastian Telfair
Antawan Jamison
Samuel Dalembert
Tayshaun Prince
Kevin Martin
Emeka Okafur
Stephen Jackson
Gerald Wallace
Joel Pryzbilla

I can't think of any more. Anybody?

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
...Here's the thing.

The Nets suck. They're not just rebuilding, they're not just slumping...they suck. They're an outright terrible team, and the only way they bring back enough talent to convince Carmelo to sign an extension is if they pick up a TON of bad contracts (ie get Al Harrington and give a first round pick, or something like that).

They're not going anywhere, period.

iJoe

Rotation player
Its gonna take a lot more than Al Harrington and trading away all your power forwards to get Anthony.

I don't know why the Nets are holding so hard onto Lopez. Hell, I like Nene better than that softie who doesn't rebound.

legend33

Rookie
Good, I don't care.

I know this is a star driven league, but Melo and Amare, if you look at their shot charts, do the EXACT same thing - hit midrange jumpers and get into the paint, then draw fouls.

They don't particularly complement eachother taht well.

Again, guys like Gerald Wallace, Iguodala, etc. would be better fits...

Besides, I've also said Melo would be a better fit with NJ anyways, slower offense that is already good at D and needs a primary scorer.

Our primary scorer is already Amare, whose, what 2nd in the league in scoring already?

Pfff.........**** Melo, let's get another star.

legend33

Rookie
Like I said, Melo, like Kobe, Wade, etc. needs a post scorer and a slow it up offense with good defense to be an effective part of a chip team.

They have Lopez, we have more of a face-up, uptempo big man in Amare anyways...

Dont think it would've worked out quite as well as we think... but imho, who knows right?

iSaYughh

Starter
...Here's the thing.

The Nets suck. They're not just rebuilding, they're not just slumping...they suck. They're an outright terrible team, and the only way they bring back enough talent to convince Carmelo to sign an extension is if they pick up a TON of bad contracts (ie get Al Harrington and give a first round pick, or something like that).

They're not going anywhere, period.

Agreed100. When they traded Williams it really showed this.

I'm surprised the Clips aren't fighting --hard-- to be in the Melo hunt. I can see an amazing quid pro quo between Melo, Clips and DEN.

Imagine Melo going there and really battling the Lakers and Kobe for supremacy. What a storyline.

Clips have legit assets, too, including a prized lotto pick rookie sf. pgBledsoe, sfFarouk, cDeandre Jordan, and their next two 1st rounders.

A Gordon, Melo, Griffin 2-3-4. Ungodly. Great trade for both teams. I guess the Clips are too hogtied by cap worse than I imagine, tho....

This really boils down to a two-headed game of chicken for us:

DEN has to worry about the potentiality of Melo walking, a monstrous disaster, and missing out on, let's say Chandler-Douglas-Walker and a couple 1st round picks, on top of the PR debacle and shame it'd bring.

We have to worry about the potentiality of Melo going to NJ. A bad beat, but nowhere near as apocalyptic of DEN's unknown.

And it's an unknown for both DEN and us. We will be making a judgement call based off of incomplete information. At the end of the day Melo might just accept NJ at the last hour. Or, Melo might at the last hour not want to play there and make a mini-legend out of himself and wait for Amare and NYC.

What I *HOPE* happens, and I don't see why it wouldn't, is for Melo to be the true trump card in this bluff.

For him, he can do all he can to put up the image and say everything and do everything to make it look like he will just go to NY no matter what. And string everything along. At the last hour, he can always bail and accept whatever.

But he has that total choice to really make DEN sweat. At the last hour, the apocalypse that faces DEN vs the legitimate but not KO punch that faces us, should make DEN buckle while we can hold strong and show real strength.

Let's get picks in the meantime. Get creative. AR, cash, Turiaf, even Moz...Lets do all to get these guys traded for picks.

nyk_nyk

All Star
Good, I don't care.

I know this is a star driven league, but Melo and Amare, if you look at their shot charts, do the EXACT same thing - hit midrange jumpers and get into the paint, then draw fouls.

They don't particularly complement eachother taht well.

Again, guys like Gerald Wallace, Iguodala, etc. would be better fits...

Besides, I've also said Melo would be a better fit with NJ anyways, slower offense that is already good at D and needs a primary scorer.

Our primary scorer is already Amare, whose, what 2nd in the league in scoring already?

Pfff.........**** Melo, let's get another star.
Really? You can tell all that from a shot chart? LOL I guess Amare can break down defenders on the perimeter at will too.

Melo would replace the inconsistent Gallo and immediately improve the team. What don't you understand. For every good game Gallo has, he follows with 2 bad or subpar games.