Plan B is to get Iguodala or Anderson Varejao/Gibson

iJoe

Rotation player
According to Chris Broussard at ESPN;

While the New York Knicks remain confident in their chances of acquiring Carmelo Anthony this season, they are preparing backup plans in case he winds up in New Jersey or elsewhere.

After Anthony declared how important signing the three-year, $64.47 million contract extension is to him during last week's visit to Madison Square Garden, the Knicks realized they may have trouble signing him as a free agent next summer.

More and more, the thinking at Knicks headquarters is that Anthony will sign the extension with some club -- be it New York, New Jersey or whomever -- rather than become a free agent with a lockout looming.

So if the Knicks can't trade for Anthony by the Feb. 24 trade deadline, they've got two other potential Plan Bs in mind.

In one, they may go after Philadelphia's Andre Iguodala, who would seem to fit nicely in Mike D'Antoni's system. Eddy Curry's expiring contract and one other player might be enough to pry Iguodala away from the Sixers, though Philadelphia doesn't want to give away its top player in a mere salary dump.

The Knicks' other scenario would potentially bring Cleveland's proven role players Anderson Varejao and Daniel "Boobie" Gibson to Madison Square Garden. The Knicks are aware of their need for more toughness inside and Varejao would provide that. And Gibson could fill the backup point guard spot the Knicks have been looking to upgrade.

The Knicks are weighing whether those two options are better than what they could get on next summer's free agent market.

Of course, Anthony remains the most coveted prize, and the Knicks still believe they can get him. Denver would rather deal with New Jersey, though, since the Nets have more to offer.

The Nets have several potential trades for Anthony on the table and are merely waiting for Denver to choose one, according to sources. That doesn't mean a deal could be completed immediately; just that the Nets would then begin getting agreements from the various parties involved.

The Nets have trade scenarios based on two-team deals between them and the Nuggets, as well as three- and four-team deals on the table.

The two clubs have stayed in periodic contact over the past few months, but haven't spoken since Saturday, according to one source.

Personally, I prefer Varejao/Boobie. Varejao would solve a ton of our defensive issue and provide a nice amount of toughness while Gibson can be the third PG. Not sure what it would take to get them. Iguodala is overrated in my opinion and I've heard hes a terrible lockerroom influence.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
If we go fer Iggs, Fields or Chandler along w Curry does it.. I think we'd do that.

Godsn stays. I can't see him being included in any of these backup type trades.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound

Personally, I prefer Varejao/Boobie. Varejao would solve a ton of our defensive issue and provide a nice amount of toughness while Gibson can be the third PG. Not sure what it would take to get them. Iguodala is overrated in my opinion and I've heard hes a terrible lockerroom influence.

I've never heard that bout Iggs..

iSaYughh

Starter
Not so sure Philly trades Iggy unless they get at least 80cents to the dollar.

They aren't a bad team, and may very well make a playoff push this year.

With Jru's unexpected emergence into a quality starting PG on the rise, locking down a Jru/Iggy backcourt as a base isn't a terrible idea.

They may actually want to trade Turner now. To get a player they can start at forward or center.

Their bad contract isn't even Iggy. It's Brand, who's playing alright and it's not an unrealistic thought they ride out his contract till he can be trade bait himself, and build while competing now.

I'd rather target Richardson if we can in off season, and keep assets like Fields. And make a trade for Mayo if anything. AR and a 2nd.

Bird Right Chandler, the Mayo deal, and signing: Richardson, BigBaby and Kirilienko should be our priorities if Melo fail, while letting Turiaf and Curry and Azzy go.

Felton-Douglas
Richardson-Fields
Gallo-AK47
BigBaby-Chandler
STAT-Moz
6th Mayo
bench -- Walker, Williams, Ewing Jr, anyone we get through draft

That team could be a defensive beast, while only improving our offense w needed depth, improved shooting especially with range, a superior big man, and winning veteran leadership.

The sheer amount of talent and assets we have, which could even be argued is TOO great, would let us consolidate for an upgraded bigtime Center if we wanted, or a PG even.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru

Hmmmm, Iggy and Varejo; I remember suggesting them a month ago!

iJoe

Rotation player
Maybe terrible is too strong of a word. He's more of a me first player who blames losses on his team and not himself. He's cockier than he has the right to be and isn't the guy you'll see cheering on him teammates, but pouting on the sidelines.
Then again... you should take this all with a grain of salt, because you never really know whats going on behind the scenes.

I like Iggy cause he's a great defender. Hes not consistent from 3 range, but has a decent pullup in midrange which he relies a bit too much on. His main strength will be in transition where with the Knicks he can create major havoc. I actually think he's a better fit for us than Melo, in that we need a 2 more than a 3 and he'll be less of a strain on our salary cap.

I'm mixed about him, but would still rather have Varejao for intimidation.

KNICKMATIC809

Benchwarmer
i dont believe in that plan b crap.... just like if we failed to get lebron .

joe johnson and boozer where going to be the plan b :boohoo:

i have a feeling if that deal with melo dont come tru he already has something on the table

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
i dont believe in that plan b crap.... just like if we failed to get lebron .

joe johnson and boozer where going to be the plan b :boohoo:

i have a feeling if that deal with melo dont come tru he already has something on the table

That is what happen when you put all your eggs in 1 basket! Hopefully Walsh has learned from the LaBron disgrace and has open dialogue with the various teams that are putting quality guys on the block.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
And Ramon Sessions is not that good. Backup PG at best, really.

Iggy would be a good player but is Iggy really THAT much better than, say, Wilson Chandler or OJ Mayo?

Again, I'm not sold. Iggy is a 2 guard who isn't a great shooter for his position. Iggy's a good defender but I'm not sure we take that contract.

Again I think we're better off just trading for OJ Mayo if you want to go for the Iguodala route. We could probably get Mayo for less due to Memphis' financial situation and the fact that they want to dump salary, he's much younger, cheaper, under team control, and he's a much better shooter.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Again I see the merit in Iguodala but someone tell me just exactly how and why Iguodala is that much better than OJ Mayo.

If anything we could trade for Mayo and then pick up a Tyson Chandler-type player to give us a starting 5 of Felton-Mayo-Gallo-Amar'e-T. Chandler with Wil, Douglas, Fields, Mozgov coming off the bench for us which would be a great 9 man rotation

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
Again I see the merit in Iguodala but someone tell me just exactly how and why Iguodala is that much better than OJ Mayo.

OJ Mayo is still somewhat of a project and doesn't really play D while Iggy is a defensive juggernaut. Their offensive numbers are almost the same...

If anything we could trade for Mayo and then pick up a Tyson Chandler-type player to give us a starting 5 of Felton-Mayo-Gallo-Amar'e-T. Chandler with Wil, Douglas, Fields, Mozgov coming off the bench for us which would be a great 9 man rotation

My only issue with bringing in a Center is that Amare is at his best when playing Center... I know he wants to play the 4 but there is no denying that his best numbers and his most productivity comes when he's at the 5.

BleedOrange&Blue

Benchwarmer
My only issue with bringing in a Center is that Amare is at his best when playing Center... I know he wants to play the 4 but there is no denying that his best numbers and his most productivity comes when he's at the 5.

Didn't Stat have a monster season at the 4 alongside Robin Lopez?

Wargames

Starter
I have the solution:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=29f8je4

Knicks take SESSIONS VAREJAO
Cleveland take TURIAF RAUTINS MASON AZUBUIKE

We have all the pices now
we can keep AR CHANDLER CURRY' CONTRACT

GUARDS:
Felton -Sessions
Fields - Douglas
Walker

F/SF
Gallo - Chandler - S. Williams

PF/C
Amare - Varejao - Mozgov

I rarely like line up ideas but this one is pretty nice and realistic and cleveland might do it since honestly they know they have to scrap that team eventually. also while Turiaf is nice he hasn't been able to start at the 5, Verajao could which would allow Amare to play the 4 where he is beast. also with the Curry contract we could make moves to get a dynamic scorer since we would still have that as cap space and AR as a trade piece.

Last edited:

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
Didn't Stat have a monster season at the 4 alongside Robin Lopez?

STAT's productivity numbers have always been higher as a 5. STAT's offensive numbers went down behind SHAQ and Lopez. STAT's effectiveness is higher when he is the 5 because 98% of the centers in the league can not guard him. He is not a good defender at all so whether he is at the 4 or 5 is irrelevant on the defensive side since he doesn't body up his man. He is a great rebounder and shot blocker but not a great defender. When he is at the 4, his man takes him off the dribble where at the 5 he is always a step quicker that who he is guarding with the exception of 2 or 3 centers (Howard as 1 example). Also, when at the 5 he forces his man to leave the paint to guard him so that causes defensive mis-matches and forces the other team to double outside the paint.

moneyg

Starter
no to iggy unless u can get holiday which wont happen

better off resigning chandler.. iggy is only a slight upgrade

varajo.. while he has a long contract.... is resonable at 8 mil per and he is a glue type playing..

amare, varajo would be good compliment to oneanother

mafra

Legend
MAN, how good could this starting 5 be:

Felton
Iggy
Chandler or Gallo
STAT
Varejo

Fields. Turiaf. Williams

LJ4ptplay

Starter
MAN, how good could this starting 5 be:

Felton
Iggy
Chandler or Gallo
STAT
Varejo

Fields. Turiaf. Williams

That is a great defensive team.

What about OJ Mayo? He's played very well recently since he was put back in the starting lineup while Gay was out. He had 27 points on Sat. night against the Spurs. 5-8 from 3-point line.

Felton
Mayo
Gallo
Amare
Varejao

w/ Gibson, Fields, Chandler, Williams and Turiaf off the bench.

Trade Curry + Randolph to Cleveland for Varejao + Booby
Trade Azubuike + Douglas to Memphis for Mayo