Questions I would ask D'Antoni in a press conference

Blas

Benchwarmer
What I posted early was not really relevant to this thread...

My Question:

Why do you have so many haters =)?

Last edited:

moneyg

Starter
Did you father gallo out of wedlock?

Why does your team give up so much points in the paint? (i am assuming he will say that we are undersized)

So..... why do you play an undersized lineup?

Do you think its wise to give up something on the offensive end to gain something on the defensive end?

Why do you have such a short leash on player not name gallo?

Do you view Melo as a 3, 4 or 5?

If you could have any player in the league at the 5 spot, who would it be?

Do you run much plays ofr do you just give your player freedom for the most part?

Red

TYPE-A
Red, you are way off and your bias against D'Antoni is glaring in your arguments!
You reference D'Antoni's system in your arguments but don't really break down what you think his system is or what about his system you think is bunk!
First of all, everyone talks about his "Blanton" disregard of defense and judging every player on their offensive qualities but you might be surprised to know that D'Antoni's Suns has ranked in the top 10 in multiple defensive categories! Traditionally his defense has players playing off the ball, not applying man pressure in order to close out lanes at all times to avoid penetration to the basket; Essentially his strategy is to turn the game into a jump-shooting contest; which of course he feels he can win that contest.
Also, you insinuate that he prefers smaller lineups when the fact is that he just makes do with what he has! Marion was in Phoenix before he was and when D'Antoni moved him to the 4 spot and Amare to the 5, that's when they became all stars. He's kind of doing the same thing here with the Knicks. Moving Chandler to the 4 spot has propelled him to a higher level! I think the reason why they went after Anthony Randolph is they thought they would get what Chandler is giving them from him and you would have 2 tall, very athletic bigs... Things don't always work out like they are planned and now he has an undersized 4 again.... But it is working and the team is wining. So relax, sit back and enjoy your team that is finally exciting and fun! Walsh will tweak it a little more and I'm sure it the roster will improve without destroying what is WORKING!
Homey.... you disappoint me. The flaws in MDA's system have already been well documented in this forum... early! Just search.

No I'm not suprised the PHX teams weren't the worse defensively because I've done my research (which if I remember correctly they weren't top ten either. About middle of the pack). Again my point is made though...
Even with a (maybe top ten, maybe mid road) defense combined with this offensive strategy, it didn't produce championships... did it?

And this line about preaching a defense that plays off the ball and doesn't preach pressure... I can only lol. How's that been working out? Turning the game into a jump-shooting contest eh? Well for one jump shots are lower %shots (repeated like crazy), and two better teams get higher %shots more frequently due to flaws in philosophy and a domino effect (also noted years ago).

Being that MDA's system stresses more frequent, lower % shots it:
1. Gives the opposition more shots too
2. Takes more shots to amount to slower teams better/higher % attempts near the rim thus is less efficient
3. Promotes fatigue which...
4. Leads to a lack of consistent defense (which entails stamina, determination, proper close out and rotation, and communication aka fundamentals)
5. Promotes a chucker mentality especially when falling behind (which again fundamentally is a flaw- teams that fall behind are best served to get to the basket and draw fouls or get better/high% looks)
6. Undervalues the fundamental role of the center which is essential
7. Leads to more rebounding opportunities

I insinuate MDA prefers smaller line ups? No I'm stating his system doesn't utilize the Center position. as fundamentally incorporated in most successful applications, and if he uses what he has why are we even having this discussion? Why do we have so many DNP's since his arrival without these players being hurt? Stop it, realize the truth.

Then you like many state Marion and Amare being all-stars in MDA's system...
1. I'll start by saying... F*ck Pheonix
2. Allstar voting is a popularity contest see Iverson
3. Scoring gets votes, and as stated playing out of position, speeding up the O leads to inflated #'s, but doesn't prove a thing

FYI, playing someone out of position due to matchups is one thing. Because you're reinventing the wheel, not so good (there's a reason why players have Natural positions based on their skill sets).

Yes, Chandlers offensive #'s are up playing more time @ the 4. But the trade off is we struggle with rebounds and interor defense. Did you state that? No... but I'm biased.

I support the Knicks because that's my team. I recognize the strengths & weaknesses of MDA because I can be objective. While I am not saying fire MDA as before, I am advocating a better more fundametal use of size particularly at the center position.

This is the NBA, and size matters, unlike what your wife told you...lol

But seriously, for MDA to improve I would suggest :
1. A better fundamental use of size (5), get him involved, accept his presence as essential
2. Slow it down and draw up plays for higher % looks. That's not to a crawl purposefully, but everything in moderation... there's a time and place for everything
3. Utilize your depth, teams don't sign 12 players for nothing if only to save the legs of the players and ensure more long term health
4. Realize the flaws in the system, if players who many teams covet and have high value aren't up to your standards, maybe you should lower the standards
5. Realize how NOT to alienate players which fractures the team
6. Defense and subsequently the sets/rotations/nuances are just as important as off., and aren't just a result of hungry players... it has to be a point of contention and importance...stressed!

Then maybe when opportunites to acquire players arise the proper value, outlook, and projection can be made and not skewed to fit a fundamentally flawed approach. One.

Damn good post.

In keeping with the theme of the thread, I would ask Dantoni if he thinks its a failure on his part that AR has been banished to the bench seeing how he praised him so much in the preseason.

Quick story guys:

I use to play basketball with my boys and as you know there is always that guy who isnt particularly skilled. Anyway, whenever that guy was on my squad I'd give him specific instructions on the court to maximize what he did do well. He was aggressive on defense and had some length. I had him guard the shooter and his only responsibility was staying with his man no matter what. Anyway it worked and we won.

I find it hard that a professional coach can't get a "max potential" player on the floor and assign him responsibilities. Players like Birdman, Evans, Mcghee, (Rodman), Turiaf... are not skilled all around players but they have/had something to lend to the success of their teams.

People like to point out that AR looked lost on offense and he forced the issue too much. Well, Dantoni's practices are either weak or don't heavily include the bigs on the bench. I'm guessing the latter. I'm not a huge AR fan but at the same time I think he's too good to be burried on someones bench.

Great post. I was going to point out something similar in my experiences.

I played HS and college bball. Particularly in HS you know you have tryouts. There was this kid. 6 9 and 150 pds dripping wet. He had absolutely NO SKILLS. A lot of us were wondering how he even made the team. But coach played him sparingly against teams with length. Told him all he has to do is stay in front of his man and keep his hands up. We won quite a few games that we would have lost because of this guy simply staying in front of his man with his hands up.

All I'm saying is Mike D needs to coach up our length to do basic stuff that will help us win games

welcometonycity

Rotation player
Great post. I was going to point out something similar in my experiences.

I played HS and college bball. Particularly in HS you know you have tryouts. There was this kid. 6 9 and 150 pds dripping wet. He had absolutely NO SKILLS. A lot of us were wondering how he even made the team. But coach played him sparingly against teams with length. Told him all he has to do is stay in front of his man and keep his hands up. We won quite a few games that we would have lost because of this guy simply staying in front of his man with his hands up.

All I'm saying is Mike D needs to coach up our length to do basic stuff that will help us win games

where did u play college ball at? aka?

I would ask him to do his talk show in the off season and focus more on his weaknesses as a coach. If his team can find a way to cut back on giving up so many easy baskets...he would have a potential dynasty in the makings. Out scoring the opponents is a very risky tactic.

CoolClyde

Questions for Mike Antoni

1) have you considered removing the D' from your last name, as you remove it from your game plan?
2) if you had to lose your mustache or a testicle, what would you choose?
3) if you had to trade Chandler or Gallinari, who would go first?
4) do you have a family responsibility to keep Gallo on the team, no matter what trade options come up?
5) if the Knicks keep winning without Gallo in lineup, would you put him back in starting 5?
6) why is it you are constantly "surprised" by the good play of bench when they enter the rotation (ie: Shawn Williams), don't you see how well they play in practice?
7) how is it you started Moscov this season, but now he doesn't see any minutes whatsoever?
8) same question, re Anthony Randolph
9) did Stephon Marbury send you a christmas card?
10) did you call your brother Dan D'an as a kid?
11) do you think your sh*t doesn't stink?
12) how long thru the season do you think your players can last with an 8-man rotation?
13) what does Herb Williams actually do?
14) why do you think most teams in the NBA play their centers and you do not?
15) do you think championships are won with a better offense or a better defense?