Are the Knicks better WITHOUT Gallo?

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Gallo - Chandler - Melo

Last night's results produced a thread that at base reflects some disdain for Gallinari's talent level. To some extent it resurfaces the common Chandler versus Gallo theme. And in the background, of course, is the what do we do about Melo question.

Chandler has been sensational this year and he is currently plainly more consistently productive than Gallo. But being currently less productive than Chandler is hardly embarrassing. There are precious few players performing at a level equal to or above Chandler's.

If we get the opportunity to sign Melo as a free agent, we will not be able to sign Chandler within whatever the cap is likely to be. If we trade for Melo and the Nuggets do not demand Chandler, we will have to give up Gallo as well as other assets and the cost of keeping Melo and Chandler will put us over the cap going forward for a substantial period of time. And we will still be without a reasonably dominant big man, a back-up point guard, and perhaps a backup shooting guard.

Chandler's emergence makes me less inclined to seek out Melo. Chandler's game is similar, though obviously not as strong offensively, as Melo's. Gallo would probably complement Melo better than Chandler. And Chander will be less expensive than Melo, thus increasing cap room for other needs. Assets otherwise spent in acquiring Melo will be available to fill our other needs.

I like our current team and consider both Chandler and Gallo integral parts of the team.

If anything, last night's game suggests that D'Antoni can afford to give more minutes to Williams, Walker and others, with or without Gallo.

Red

TYPE-A
Seriously tho, what is your point? I am actually pro D'Antoni and anti-Gallo so your assumptions fail :). Wat i am trying to say ere is tat Gallo is not needed, if we can trade for a big man, Shawne Williams and Bill Walker can fill the role of one dimensional gunner off the bench.

As for your assertion that this is just one game, again your logic is flawed. Gallo has been inconsistent and mediocre all season. Even when he has good games, hes not going for 25-30 points on 50% shooting. He is not a lockdown defender, and he is a crappy rebounder for his 6-10 frame. This evaluation is not the reaction to 1 game but a whole season of disappointment and mediocrity.

Even the sensible Gallo Fans will tell you hes not playing to their expectations and that Chandler is head and shoulders above him right now.

Co-sign.

I'll add Gallo has been inconsistent and mediocre his entire career.

Head and shoulders. Now if this continues, do our plans for Gallo and Ill Will change?

KingCharles34

All Star
I think you make some good points here. Right now Wilson is a superior player and can play SF and PF effectively. When Gallo is on the floor Wilson is pushed into the PF position which makes us undersized and very susceptible to being out-rebounded. With Gallo coming off the bench Chandler plays his more natural SF spot and we get to add Size and rebounding with Turiaf or a potential trade or signing of a big man like M. Gasol or Tyson Chandler. If we were to trade Gallo it wouldn't hurt as he is replaced by Shawne Williams and Billy Walker

While i do think trading Gallo would hurt our offense a little bit, I do believe it would be worth it if we got back Mark gasol or especially Tyson Chandler. Chandler might be available now, the Mavs know they aint winning no championship with caron butler out the rest of the year. I dont care how good that team plays, they wont get past the spurs and the Lakers. They know it too just like the Jazz and most the other teams out west.

The impact Tyson Chandler would make on this team defensively is greater then the impact losing gallo would have on our offense.

However, my gut tells me that all of this is irrelevant and the Knicks are still trying to find a way they can fukk up the team and get carmello. Id rather have his teammate and former Knick (for only a few minutes) Nene Hilario

If I'm right, Denver can't really dictate what or who we should give up....not with that extension still sitting on the table. If Mello wants to come here (and nowhere else) Denver is going to have to settle. I really don't think Denver has any real power in this, They can take what we give them or loose out completely in FA.

We have a better chance at keeping Will if we trade for Mello now and not wait for the off season. Anyway you put it I doubt Wilson is leaving NY. The fans will not allow it...especially if he keeps playing like the way he is.

Great teams always find a way to keep their best players...always.

Blas

Benchwarmer
Since this thread is based off of last night's performance, I think we need to fix some errors in some arguments:

Chandler is having his best season and playing a majority of his minutes at PF NOT SF, meaning he has been playing WITH Gallo not replacing him.

Chandler last night did not replace Gallo, Walker and Williams took Gallo's minutes.

Turiaf played his 20 minutes, we were small ball most of the time. We did not change our strategy.

So the argument I believe, should come down to this: Is Walker and Williams >>> Gallo?

LJ4ptplay

Starter
So when we played the Pacers and won the game and Gallo was having a very good game driving the lane, shooting and drawing fouls and Chandler was his often quiet and inconsistent self, does that mean Gallo is better than Chandler? Or the many clutch plays/shots Gallo had earlier in the season during the winning streak and Chandler was quiet, does that make Gallo better than Chandler?

This back and forth between fan favorites is getting ridiculous. The differnce is the fans that like Gallo and know he is a valuable piece to this team don't make threads about how awful the other players are. It seems the Gallo haters look for any chance they can to make a thread about how terrible Gallo is. They are loud when Gallo has a poor game and quiet when Gallo has a good game.

Gallo has been instrumental in many of our wins this year. Probably more than Chandler, individually. Yet I don't start threads about how we should get rid of Chandler. No. Chandler has been playing great lately. I acknowledge that. I like Chandler. I like this TEAM.

How about just watching the damn games and rooting for the team instead of trying to prove a point on an internet forum so you can stroke your childish ego about needing to feel like you were right? The next time Chandler has a bad game and Gallo has a good game and played a crucial role in winning a game, I won't start a thread about how we should get rid of Chandler. SMH.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Since this thread is based off of last night's performance, I think we need to fix some errors in some arguments:

Chandler is having his best season and playing a majority of his minutes at PF NOT SF, meaning he has been playing WITH Gallo not replacing him.

Chandler last night did not replace Gallo, Walker and Williams took Gallo's minutes.

Turiaf played his 20 minutes, we were small ball most of the time. We did not change our strategy.

So the argument I believe, should come down to this: Is Walker and Williams >>> Gallo?

+1. Exactly.

For some reason, some "fans" just want to dislike Gallo. They look for any excuse to hate.

Chandler has been a consistant contributor. Gallo hasn't. I believe most of the arguments here are about the true effects Gallo has on the team. ...how well they play without him and how they struggle with him in the line up. These are facts.

Most Knick fans want dominance so wanting to get rid of the weak link is something all fans should be considering....instead of making excuses for a shaky player. SMH

KingCharles34

All Star
Well Chandler has been more consistent then Gallo and is having a better all around season, i dont think theres any denying that. I like Gallo but hes alot more inconsistent the Chandler THIS YEAR. At the same time Im not on the "Trade Gallo" or "Gallo sucks" bandwagon. Hes a good player and hes still improving his game. I do agree with toons though, I'd prefer to see him gettin about 25 minutes off the bench

petescud

Starter
I like both of them. I think Chandler has found his confidence this year, and Gallo is trying to find his, but not quite there yet. He does shows signs every now and then though

Blas

Benchwarmer
I still do not see this as a Chandler vs Gallo argument. One way Chandler is "replacing" Gallo is if we get a starting or 20 minutes a game Center for him. That way we can have Turiaf and the newly acquired center to play an entire game and Chandler can play SF.

Which to my knowledge there are zero officially on the trading block. (Not even Javale Mcghee: http://dc.sbnation.com/washington-wizards/2010/12/29/1903236/wizards-trade-rumors-andray-blatche-javale-mcgee)

We cannot get Melo with him, Denver does not want him.

I mean we can keep talking about how we can potentially get X player and do this and that all day. But unless there is HARD evidence stating that we can do those things we are just talking out of our butts.

All we can do with Gallo is:

A) Bench him
B) Start him
C) Play him off the bench as 6th man or role player
D) "Realistically" Trade him for a player officially on the trade block like Telfair, Blatche, Duhon, etc.

Too many of us go off on these fantasy tangents that do not apply. Because I can go off on my own Tangent and say Walsh called the Mafia for a favor to kidnap the Thunder's owner and force a trade between Gallo and Durant. Yeah that sounds silly but things suggested on this board hold just as much water.

Red

TYPE-A
So when we played the Pacers and won the game and Gallo was having a very good game driving the lane, shooting and drawing fouls and Chandler was his often quiet and inconsistent self, does that mean Gallo is better than Chandler? Or the many clutch plays/shots Gallo had earlier in the season during the winning streak and Chandler was quiet, does that make Gallo better than Chandler?

This back and forth between fan favorites is getting ridiculous. The differnce is the fans that like Gallo and know he is a valuable piece to this team don't make threads about how awful the other players are. It seems the Gallo haters look for any chance they can to make a thread about how terrible Gallo is. They are loud when Gallo has a poor game and quiet when Gallo has a good game.

Gallo has been instrumental in many of our wins this year. Probably more than Chandler, individually. Yet I don't start threads about how we should get rid of Chandler. No. Chandler has been playing great lately. I acknowledge that. I like Chandler. I like this TEAM.

How about just watching the damn games and rooting for the team instead of trying to prove a point on an internet forum so you can stroke your childish ego about needing to feel like you were right? The next time Chandler has a bad game and Gallo has a good game and played a crucial role in winning a game, I won't start a thread about how we should get rid of Chandler. SMH.

Why are you trying to turn this into a Gall -vs- Chandler thing?

Everyone already knows Chandler is better, face it.

Is the team better with Gallo (minus a real big), or sans his contribution with added size?

See how simple I made that for you... want me to draw two boxes and lable them yes & no for further assistance?

This isn't about 1 game, its about our evolution and valuation. Its offense -vs- defense and future prospecting. That's what we do on boards. We speculate and discuss.

If you wanna watch and enjoy and not register your 2cents, do so... but stop wasting everyones time misconstruing things... its girly.

NicksKnicks

Rotation player
gallo is a liability. Hes stopping other players from playing in their natural positions! im fed up with all this 'all-star potential'.

Hes a trade piece for melo.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Why are you trying to turn this into a Gall -vs- Chandler thing?

Everyone already knows Chandler is better, face it.

Is the team better with Gallo (minus a real big), or sans his contribution with added size?

See how simple I made that for you... want me to draw two boxes and lable them yes & no for further assistance?

This isn't about 1 game, its about our evolution and valuation. Its offense -vs- defense and future prospecting. That's what we do on boards. We speculate and discuss.

If you wanna watch and enjoy and not register your 2cents, do so... but stop wasting everyones time misconstruing things... its girly.

Read the posts in this thread dude, including yours. You even ask, would you rather have Chandler or Gallo. It is you who is making this a Chandler vs Gallo thing, not me. Not one bit. The whole premise of this thread (and all of your threads) is "girly".

Yes, Chandler is currently playing better than Gallo. No question. Does anybody remember how inconsistent Chandler has been his entire career up until recently?

We have other assets that can get us a big. I personally like both and want to keep both and ADD to the current roster. Why do you want to get rid of Gallo so early in his career?

If you can propose a legitimate trade for Gallo that will get us the soild big that will take us to contending level, then by all means, I am willing to listen. But we all know that isn't your motivation here.

I can propose trading Chandler (his value is much higher than Gallo's) that will make this team better too. And Chandler can get us a much higher quality big in a trade than Gallo. And since this apparently isn't about Gallo vs Chandler and only about getting a quality center and playing a more traditional lineup, then why not propose that trade?

p0nder

Starter
with gallo typically we average 2 more points on offense per game and we average giving up 2 less baskets per game.

As well having gallo out reduces our 3pt %, our main deep ball threat and limits our ability to spread the floor.

Gallo is a key role player in this system and gives added length on defense.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
gallo is a liability. Hes stopping other players from playing in their natural positions! im fed up with all this 'all-star potential'.

Hes a trade piece for melo.

Yeah. We really played a traditional line-up last night because we didn't have Gallo. *sarcasm*

Try watching some games. Chandler played PF most of the game. Our lineup wasn't any different than normal except for about 4 minutes at the start of the game.

And Gallo is not getting us Melo. In all likelihood, Chandler is the one that Denver will ask for. Chandler + Fields.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star

+1 Rep.

The Gallo haters take the opportunity after one game that Gallo misses where the rest of the team plays well and claims that they're better off without him...newsflash, it was one game and we had a shooting night that you cannot expect on a regular basis. The starting lineup made over 60% of its shots last night - that will not happen in the playoffs if we face a good team, that will not happen down the stretch if we play a tough defensive team like the Heat or the Celtics. We will not have 3 players scoring in the 30 point range on a regular basis - it's not likely to even happen again this year (but you never know).

Point being that you can't take last night's game and use it as evidence for anything. The Knicks shot the ball at an unreal percentage...that's just not what happens in most games, period. And to say that Chandler and Felton having arguably some of the best games of their careers (considering strength of opposition) makes Gallo irrelevant is idiotic.

Gallo and Chandler are both good players. Period. Can't we all just agree on this? I mean, I like Gallo but you don't see me talking about how Chandler's useless, or anything like that...come on.

nyk_nyk

All Star
Gallo has been instrumental in many of our wins this year. Probably more than Chandler, individually.

I have to disagree with you here. for the most part Chandler has been solid and consistent all season and in the games where Chandler was off offensively he still helped by rebounding and blocking shots. I believe he's 2nd or 3rd on the team with nearly 2 blks per game.

moneyg

Starter
i think gallo injuring forces us to play a more convential lineup, which i like..

gallo is expendable.. more so than chandler in my opinion... i was always in favor of a galo for melo trade and since the season started i always prefered chandler over galo.. i want to keep cahandler and i think galo is best suited off the bench.. but i dont see his father not starting him.. so in a way im kinda glad he is injured.. i just wish it wasnt for 2-3 weeks.. he a good role player.. key word "ROLE"...

i do think we need another big that can share the 5 spot with turiaf and gives us a little more offensively....

but im sure if denver says that they dont see any value in chandler... that just a smoke screen..

chandler to me is better than the other AI and Iggy got this achillies this thing going on which brings back memories of ewing in the 2000 finals

LJ4ptplay

Starter
I have to disagree with you here. for the most part Chandler has been solid and consistent all season and in the games where Chandler was off offensively he still helped by rebounding and blocking shots. I believe he's 2nd or 3rd on the team with nearly 2 blks per game.

I really don't care. That wasn't the point. I can point to several games where Gallo has been clutch for us this year.