Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Are the Knicks better WITHOUT Gallo?

I actually heard rumblings about this while leaving the Garden (granted folks were still on a high from beating the Spurs) but people were saying that they liked the starting 5 they saw out there.

Why wouldn't Gallo be better suited in a scoring 6th man role? If he's as dangerous an offensive player as some of you believe him to be (while looking past his limitations because the Knicks marketing department tell you that he is the next big thing) then why not use that firepower off of the bench to go against the second unit of opposing teams?

If our starters are giving it to the opposing starting 5, and then Gallo & Co. are giving it to the second unit, that's a balanced attack over 48 mins. What's the opposition to this? Hurt feelings cause Daniloooooooooooooooooooooo Gaaaaaalllllllllliiinnaaaaaaarrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii needs to be a starter? Why?

I say do what's best for the team, and let's put hurt feelings aside. The coaching staff still has a few more games to make these evaluations but it's more than a fair question. He could be to us what Ja. Crawford and Jet Terry are to their teams. You already have to deal with the starters, and then when they catch a breather, here comes the second unit to drop more buckets.

I think Turiaf starting was big for us. Gallo should be coming off bench and let everyone play into natural positions. Everyone thrived.

So Red,

Will you tell these posters here that have not taken a stance to stfu too?

You started your thread stating are we better WITHOUT Gallo.

But because almost all the posters bring up a different perspective and said bring him off the bench you are forced to change YOUR stance on the matter.

You want to create a thread saying stating maybe there are options for using Gallo differently to include as trade bait, etc then that would be great and informative and add perspective.

You didn't do that, you went right in with the dramatic "WITHOUT GALLO."

So how about you stick to YOUR guns and take a stance.

With

or

Without Gallo?
    Last edited by Blas; Jan 05, 2011 at 11:36.

Originally Posted by Red
    Are we better without Gallinari?
    Wilson Chandler back @ his NATURAL position as was Amare...

Wilson inparticular was a beast.
    Gallo is too streaky and is suited for a bench role at best imo.

Is Gallo trade bait... would you rather keep him or Chandler IF you had to choose.

I don't like the urging to vote for Felt, Amare and him BUT not Chandlr who to me is more deserving

I also don't like the feeling that we force Gallo shots and force his role, and now that I see us without him, it looks more glaring.

He can contribute, he has size, but his effciency may hinder us, plus consider the CENTER we might be able to replace him with...

That big is needed more than an inconsistent 3pt shooter

While I agree with this entire post, I will offer the fact that it was only one game. Danilo is a rotation player, and the threat of is shot gives the Knicks great spacing. Wit that said I could totally see the Knicks being a better team with Gallo being traded for a big man, or coming off the bench as a legitmate scorer or back up to chandler and Turiaf. With Stat at C and Turiaf at PF and Wilson at SF this team is much better defensively and rebounding. Plus Wilson is a superior scorer, so we wouldn't be missing much of Gallo as he was currently our 4th leading scorer anyways.

That Starting lineup can play D and Get more rebounds then one with Gallo who is 6-10 and averaging 4 rebounds... which is kind of pathetic compared to Fields and Chandler who are averaging 7 and 6 respectively. Fields and Wislon while not amazing three point shooters, still can spread the floor and are excellent cutters. I want to say that we are better without Gallo considering we just beat the best team in the League w/o him as I ave been telling people all along that e is not an impact player, but seeing guys like Walker and Douglas get extended minutes doesn't make me feel so good either.

If we want to get out of the first round of the playoffs we need Gallo. As good as Will as been shooting from downtown, teams just don't respect him yet and don't space the floor as well. You cannot take Gallo out of the rotation.

Now if your saying he should come off the bench, let's wait and see how the Knicks do against Utah and Portland this coming week. Phoenix should be an easy win, but the other two are good teams. If the Knicks continue to play this impressive without Gallo, maybe it is more important to have Turiaf in the starting lineup, and let Gallo come off the bench.

Originally Posted by nuckles2k2
    I actually heard rumblings about this while leaving the Garden (granted folks were still on a high from beating the Spurs) but people were saying that they liked the starting 5 they saw out there.

Why wouldn't Gallo be better suited in a scoring 6th man role? If he's as dangerous an offensive player as some of you believe him to be (while looking past his limitations because the Knicks marketing department tell you that he is the next big thing) then why not use that firepower off of the bench to go against the second unit of opposing teams?

If our starters are giving it to the opposing starting 5, and then Gallo & Co. are giving it to the second unit, that's a balanced attack over 48 mins. What's the opposition to this? Hurt feelings cause Daniloooooooooooooooooooooo Gaaaaaalllllllllliiinnaaaaaaarrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii needs to be a starter? Why?

I say do what's best for the team, and let's put hurt feelings aside. The coaching staff still has a few more games to make these evaluations but it's more than a fair question. He could be to us what Ja. Crawford and Jet Terry are to their teams. You already have to deal with the starters, and then when they catch a breather, here comes the second unit to drop more buckets.
    Quality post

Originally Posted by nuckles2k2

Patience. This Knicks team has 2-3 weeks to prove this starting lineup is the way to go. That Spurs game was just ONE win. Honestly I'm a huge Gallo fan, but if bringing him off the bench is going to help our team win more, I'm all for it. But I don't want to penalize him for not playing. We did win 19 games with him in the lineup.

I loved seeing everyone play their natural positions and thought we were better off that way. One game is way too small of a sample size, but if this works during the road trip I'd like to see Gallo play a 6th man role. My concern is that Gallo stops being productive coming off the bench.

We beat the Spurs without Melo, we must be better without Melo.

Dallas is winning without Dirk, they must be better without him.

Knick fans overreact over everything. Sometimes they are the best fans but sometimes they are the worst.

And for those of you that watched the game last night, Turiaf only played his typical 20 minutes. We still played small ball for the majority of the night.

This has nothing to do with starting a traditional lineup. Williams and Walker, not Turiaf, got Gallo's minutes. Chandler still played a lot at PF and even some at Center, not at SF. I'll take Gallo over Williams and Walker any day.

Chandler, and the other players, stepped it up with one of our key pieces down. This is what good teams with a good coach do. End of discussion.

And this was one freaking game. Sheesh. If we beat the top teams with Chandler playing starter minutes at SF and go back to our inconsistent ways when Gallo takes over at SF, then we can debate this. Until then, drop your desire to root against D'Antoni and Gallo.

Originally Posted by Blas
    So Red,

Will you tell these posters here that have not taken a stance to stfu too?

You started your thread stating are we better WITHOUT Gallo.

But because almost all the posters bring up a different perspective and said bring him off the bench you are forced to change YOUR stance on the matter.

You want to create a thread saying stating maybe there are options for using Gallo differently to include as trade bait, etc then that would be great and informative and add perspective.

You didn't do that, you went right in with the dramatic "WITHOUT GALLO."

So how about you stick to YOUR guns and take a stance.

With

or

Without Gallo?
    1. You need to distiguish how I feel about Gallo (which has been documented ad nauseum) from how I feel about how we as a team play with him on the floor

Obviously we need depth, so why would I think we should have LESS players. Contextually, "without" Gallo means not having him -vs- having him on the floor... not, not on the team.

Everyone realized that but you. Because your personal love has you jaded and unable to see the team above the player.

2. I clarified not b/c I've changed my opinion, but to get to the point which is are we better with him off the floor, not off the team, off the floor.

Every team has a drop off when the bench is inserted, so its not a knock. But in my estimation, although we sacrifice his 15ppg, we're better served by playing a big rather than him in the starting line up.

We probably won't have to play from behind as much
    We probably will have better ball movement
    We get to evaluate his and our other players worth
    We get to see what happens when we infuse size and defense
    The personal godson, hyped pick pressure is off, and I think that's a blessing. It forces MDA to coach better imo and use more of our assets.

So yeah, I feel we are better without him on the floor. Not that he has no role, but we may be better.

As stated just now on the radio...
    This has relevence b/c new factors are coming into play, and our current situation (Melo, trades, rebuilding, etc)

We'll discuss it, then take a look at the results 2-3 weeks from now.

But I suspect, we don't need a 6'10, streaky shooter, who can't guard his position, because coach plays him out of position, while we have another player who is better at his natural position as much as we thought or been made to think.

It would serve the team better to have him come off the bench or used as a trade to acquire what we really need, imo... which is what I said about D Lee and you see the results. Yeah I knew I was right... thought so.

Veteran

Yes we do play way better without him in the lineup, and it will be even more evident in the following games. We can find anybody in this league to contribute streaky points and lack luster defense. Now that he is out of the line up, we can keep our flow/tempo/rhythm of the game up on both ends of the court. I'am so glad he is not playing and hurting our team. His little contributions can easily be replaced but our bench. This will be a very telling time for all Gallo supporters. The truth always comes out....

I've felt Gallo was a bench player waaay before this game. I wouldn't say we're better without him BUT I definitely don't think he should be in the starting lineup. Reasons being he's too inconsistent, usually only plays good for a half and he's for the most part one dimensional. His 15ppg while playing 30+ min is not going to dramatically alter anything by coming off the bench. Hell, Will averaged more than that when he was coming off the bench.

I think if it were any other coachs' decision, Gallo would be a 6th man. We all know the family ties along with Dantoni's love for the 3 ball weighs heavily in this decision. However, basketball purists would prefer a more well-rounded starting lineup.

Turiaf
    Amare
    Will
    Fields
    Feltip

With this lineup you still have good perimeter shooting with added defense in the middle. Remove Turiaf for Gallo and all your doing is substituting interior toughness for more shooting. I'm sure Walsh knows that you have to incorporate a real center to your squad to be effective in the playoffs. The playoffs is all about consistency and the way we play is exciting and even explosive at times, but its not consistent. Relying on 3s is dangerous in the playoffs because its tough to maintain a high 3pt shooting percentage (evidenced by how shooting a % of 37% or higher is considered good).

Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay

Knick fans overreact over everything. Sometimes they are the best fans but sometimes they are the worst.

+1 we're not going to be shooting 54%(or whatever it was) every night guys.

Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay

Wake up McFly, I mean LJ....

We've been discussing this for years, since he got here.
    The current circumstance I.e we have a legit 1 & 4, adds to the situation which may or may not be coming to frucian.

Posters/ writers make assertions, state opinions, then we look at the data... theory, then application. That's it, not reaction. Gallo has always been limited, we haven't always had a chance to see how we do with better players minus his inconsistent contributions.

Evaluate and let me know using your logic, not your personal feelings.