Is Gallo Expendable?

BleedOrange&Blue

Benchwarmer
With the recent emergence of Wilson Chandler as the best SF/PF on the team, does Gallo even have any business being in the starting lineup? While i have been hard on him in the past, I don't think hes not good enough to be a starter but rather I just don't see him being the right fit for us right now.

The Knicks have proven they have plenty of players who can score and shoot threes, so how valuable is Gallo to the team? Furthermore when we consider that we are a poor rebounding team and are in need of more size down low, Gallo's poor rebounding 4 per game pale in comparison to Wilson's and Field's 7 per game. By having Gallo on the floor we put everyone out of position and have been man-handled on the boards. Gallo goes down with and injury, in comes Turiaf and all of a sudden we have better defense and rebounding while barely giving up anything on offense. 128 points dropped on the Spurs.

Gallo to me seems like a young version of Hedo Turkoglu. On the right team Gallo's playmaking ability can be much appreciated as his size and shooting can pose matchup problems. On the Knicks Felton and Amar'e Dominate the ball on the Pick N' Roll relegating Danilo to Matt Bonner duties which I feel he is not cut out for as Gallo is more of a rhythm player like Turkoglu who thrives with the ball in his hands not as a spot up shooter. Gallo is at his best getting to the basket and drawing fouls.

Wilson and Fields rarely require the ball to make a play and are perfect compliments to STAT and Ray. Gallo on the other hand does not benefit from rolling to the basket off setting picks or sneaking in for much needed rebounds.

On defense Gallo is not fast enough to guard conventional SFs and does not ave the strength to play post defense and bang down low with PFs. Ironically he played phenomenal defense on Lebron James who is kind of a PG trapped in Linebacker's body. Gallo is not a terrible defender but rather one that seems to be out of place at times.

Stats are great and they have their purpose certainly. But I find the easiest way to evaluate a player is how mindful do you have to be of them when they are on the opposing team. What teams are thinking to themselves "how are we going to stop Gallo?" Gallo is not a force, his presence is rarely felt in a game, like David Lee he might put up decent numbers but nobody is scared to matchup against him. Gallo does not have the ability to dominate a game the way Wilson, STAT or Felton does. Gallo can erratically score but as I have explained he is not winning games with his rebounding or defense.

While I try to foster as much debate as possible with my threads I am of the mind that Gallo is clearly expendable and is not what the Knicks need right now. I feel that trading Gallo for real needs such as size, defense and rebounding would better serve us than the skillset he currently has to offer.

Last edited:
He is very expendable. Mr.Peyronies can be easily replaced by our bench guys or package for better talent. We have to pull the trigger and upgrade if the opportunity is there...

Fans of NY never really had a true dynasty...other then the Yankees.

moneyg

Starter
With the recent emergence of Wilson Chandler as the best SF/PF on the team, does Gallo even have any business being in the starting lineup? Wile i have been hard on him in the past, I don't think hes not good enough to be a starter but rather I just don't see him being the right fit for us right now.

While the Knicks have proven they have plenty of players who can score and shoot threes how valuable is Gallo to the team? Furthermore when we consider that we are a poor rebounding team and are in need of more size down low, Gallo's poor rebounding 4 per game pale in comparison to Wilson's and Field's 7 per game. By aving Gallo on the floor we put everyone out of position and ave been man handled on the boards. Gallo goes down and in comes Turiaf and all of a sudden we have better defense and rebounding while barely giving up anything on offense.

Gallo to me seems like a young version of Hedo Turkoglu. On the right team Gallo's playmaking ability can be much appreciated as his size and shooting can pose matchup problems. On the Knicks Felton ad Amar'e Dominate the ball on the Pick N' Roll relegating Danilo to Matt Bonner duties which I feel he is not cut out for as Gallo is more of a rhythm player like Turkoglu who thrives with the ball in his hands not as a spot up shooter. Gallo is at his best getting to the basket and drawing fouls.

Wilson and Fields on the other hand rarely require the ball to make a play and are perfect compliments to STAT and Ray. Gallo on the other hand does not benefit from rolling to the basket off setting picks or sneaking in for much needed rebounds.

On defense Gallo is not fast enough to guard conventional SF and e does not ave the strength to play post defense and bang down low. Ironically he played phenomenal defense on Lebron James who is kind of a PG trapped in Linebacker's body. Gallo is not a terrible defender but rather one that seems to be out of place.

Stats are great and they have their purpose certainly. But I find the easiest way to evaluate a player is how mindful do you have to be of them wen they are on the opposing team. Gallo is not a force, his presence is rarely felt in a game, Like the overrated David Lee nobody is scared to matchup against him. Gallo does not have the ability to dominate a game the way Wilson, STAT or Felton does. Gallo can erratically score but as I have explained he is not winning games with his rebounding or defense.

While I try to foster as much debate as possible with my threads I am of the mind that Gallo is clearly expendable and is not what the Knicks need right now. I feel that trading Gallo for real needs such as size, defense and rebounding would better serve us than the skillset he currently has.

i think gallo's injury might be a blessing in disguise....

shawne williams can easily step in and give us what gallo can give off the bench..

O'antoni has already said that Williams is the best shooter on the team.. the problem with gallo is that.... O'antoni's luv for Italy wont allow him to bring gallo of the bench.. which pisses me the hell off

Use gallo for a big...im thinkin maybe azzy, gallo, AR and a secound rounder for Sammy d and Omari cassipe and a first rounder

that gives us a cheaper replacement for gallo as well as another expiring contract.. improves our teams and gives us flexability

Blas

Benchwarmer
Regardless if Gallo does or does not start he most likely get starter minutes because I believe the coaching stuff believes he is better then Walker and Williams. I am not apposed with Gallo coming off the bench and starting Turiaf at the 5 instead and shifting STAT and Wilson back to their positions.

I do not think Gallo is expendable.

1) If we do happen to trade him, I do not think we are going to get good value for him. I do not believe he can be packaged to get Melo or even a serviceable Center. Those teams with those commodities want something else in return.

2) He is still young and he has shown to improve his game. He made some changes to the way he plays this year. Example: Getting to the charity line. There was an interesting article I read (I regret not having the link) but he was 2nd in the NBA for the most percentage of his points (I believe it was 33.4%) being made at the free throw, while Magette was first. Meaning if Gallo scored 100 points 33.4 of them were from the FT line. Year three Chandler was not clearly better or worse then year three Gallo. Chandler clearly exploded this year (the fourth year) making huge strides. There is a possibility Gallo could do that or he could flop, but to see that you have to wait. I do not believe Gallo has given us enough reason to not show us he cannot improve.

3) I think Gallo fits in our system offensively and defensively just fine. We still won 19 games with him. Some of those games were due to him hitting big shots in the 4th.

4) If we happen to keep Gallo and Chandler nothing says Gallo cannot be a great 6th man. We still need one of those.

Kiyaman

Legend
Gallo has always been expendable on the Knicks.....with Dantoni as the coach

Things would be helluva alot different for Gallo if he wouldve came off
the bench lastseason and this season, he wouldve learned how to gell
and associate with his teammates to get playingtime to be apart of the team.
If Gallo came off the bench as our peremeter-shooter he would not
be expendable. HELL-NO! not the way Gallo shoots, he should be taking
more 2 point jumpers than 3-balls.
There are plenty of NBA headcoaches that wouldve had Gallo winning the
6th man of the year award this season.
Harrington comment (in Denver) on Gallo was short and indirectly to the point.
No player on the Knicks last season believed Gallo was a starter, which
caused alot of DNP

New New York

Quiet Storm
is Gallo expendable.....yup!

Trade Tariaf to Orlando for their trade exception and a 2012 first, ship that pick, Gallo, and Randolph for Verajo

Backload Wilson's contract this off season, sign Melo and we have

Felton/Douglas
Wilson/Feilds
Melo/Wilson/Williams
Amare/Melo
Verajo/Mozgov

top 3 team in the East for sure!

point being....Gallo is now and has always been an expendable piece and should be moved while he still has enough value to bring in a good player in return.

Kiyaman

Legend
Regardless if Gallo does or does not start he most likely get starter minutes because I believe the coaching stuff believes he is better then Walker and Williams. I am not apposed with Gallo coming off the bench and starting Turiaf at the 5 instead and shifting STAT and Wilson back to their positions.

I do not think Gallo is expendable.

1) If we do happen to trade him, I do not think we are going to get good value for him. I do not believe he can be packaged to get Melo or even a serviceable Center. Those teams with those commodities want something else in return.

2) He is still young and he has shown to improve his game. He made some changes to the way he plays this year. Example: Getting to the charity line. There was an interesting article I read (I regret not having the link) but he was 2nd in the NBA for the most percentage of his points (I believe it was 33.4%) being made at the free throw, while Magette was first. Meaning if Gallo scored 100 points 33.4 of them were from the FT line. Year three Chandler was not clearly better or worse then year three Gallo. Chandler clearly exploded this year (the fourth year) making huge strides. There is a possibility Gallo could do that or he could flop, but to see that you have to wait. I do not believe Gallo has given us enough reason to not show us he cannot improve.

3) I think Gallo fits in our system offensively and defensively just fine. We still won 19 games with him. Some of those games were due to him hitting big shots in the 4th.

4) If we happen to keep Gallo and Chandler nothing says Gallo cannot be a great 6th man. We still need one of those.

u make alot of good points on Gallo, but Gallo is expendable for one reason,
Damnphony is clueless on how, when, and where to use Gallo talents/skills.

Hypothetically speaking, the design low-post plays Eddy Curry used to get
in our Half-court offense getting double and tripple team would open up
Gallo (who been 37% from 3-ball range), the same way the Lakers use that
same 3-ball design play by kicking the ball down low to Gasol, who quickly
kicks it out to an open Artest horrible 3-ball shot.
Why do you think the Orlando Magic could afford to take the majority of
3-ball shots in the league for 4 straight years..... the double defenders
around D.Howard in the paint.

moneyg

Starter
u make alot of good points on Gallo, but Gallo is expendable for one reason,
Damnphony is clueless on how, when, and where to use Gallo talents/skills.

Hypothetically speaking, the design low-post plays Eddy Curry used to get
in our Half-court offense getting double and tripple team would open up
Gallo (who been 37% from 3-ball range), the same way the Lakers use that
same 3-ball design play by kicking the ball down low to Gasol, who quickly
kicks it out to an open Artest horrible 3-ball shot.
Why do you think the Orlando Magic could afford to take the majority of
3-ball shots in the league for 4 straight years..... the double defenders
around D.Howard in the paint.

while Im not of big fan of O'antoni.. i think he gets the most out of gallo.. i think on another team.. his number are not as good.

brian scalabrine can hit three pointers off double screens but he aint better than gallo.

point is..we expect more of gallo than hitting open 3's.. these type of players are more common around the league.. one dimensional types..

do we really think if gallo wasnt Italian and O'antoni wasnt his father.. would he really get this much burn.. i think not