Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 68

Thread: Don't hate the player.. Hate the coach

  1. #16
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,674
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Originally Posted by moneyg
    im not saying play AR or anybody else.. im saying u cant sit here and say our coash doesnt favor gallo

    why r u avoiding the question???

    if u dont think its favoritism.. thats fine... but im not fooled

    I guess a coach has their favorites.
    Does he have a soft spot for Gallo no doubt.
    But to say you think he would give up wins just to let Gallo play is just silly.

    Do you not see that ?

    Why did he bench Gallo so much in the first 10 games ?

    Coach spoke of Randolph as a great athlete and addition to this team. He knows he ate his words by not letting him crack the rotation. Point is D'Antonio owns up to his mistakes

    YET U choose to believe that if Coach had a choice to win or let Gallo play an extra 10 minutes he would chose Gallo...come on ?????

  2. #17
    Superstar pat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    903
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    I disagree. I think a lot of people blow this way out of proportion. I get the feeling D'Antoni would drop Gallo, or anybody for that matter, like a hot potatoe if it meant winning vs. losing.

    He benched him for large portions of games this year, during our slump. He didn't even play him for an entire 2nd half of one game.

    D'Antoni said he initially didn't want Gallo in the draft and it was Walsh's scouts that convinced both him and Walsh to draft him.

    I think a lot of fans forget last year. Chandler was an awful outside shooter and just as inconsistent as Gallo. Gallo was tearing it up the last 20 games of the season. He was beginning to show what a lot of people thought he could be.

    He plays Gallo because of the system. For spreading the floor to run the pick-and-roll and give Amare room. We started the winning streak when Turiaf went to the bench and Chandler played PF to spread the defense.

    He only played Turiaf 20 minutes against the Spurs. He still went with Chandler at the 4 for the majority of the game, and the end of the game, to spread the floor.

    It's about the system, spacing and giving the current team the best chance to win based on the system. Not because he would prefer Gallo over winning.
    Agreed 100%. All there is to say: Danilo Gallinari EFF + 15.03. Why would you not play him? And it isn't even a question of playing Gallo over Chandler. D'Antoni plays them both.

  3. #18
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,674
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Originally Posted by pat
    Agreed 100%. All there is to say: Danilo Gallinari EFF + 15.03. Why would you not play him? And it isn't even a question of playing Gallo over Chandler. D'Antoni plays them both.


    I think his point is that no matter what the scenario coach will call upon Gallo go into a game even if that means we lose....Based on our winning record the argument is mute.

    He is a Gallo hater or for some reason has issue with the bond coach has with Gallo. Should they pretend they are not close ?
    When we start losing and Gallo's on court performance worsens watch how quick Gallo is moved to the bench just as he was in the first 10 games of the season.

  4. #19
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    county of the kings
    Posts
    1,120
    Rep Power
    9

    Nyk Logo

    Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    I disagree. I think a lot of people blow this way out of proportion. I get the feeling D'Antoni would drop Gallo, or anybody for that matter, like a hot potatoe if it meant winning vs. losing.

    He benched him for large portions of games this year, during our slump. He didn't even play him for an entire 2nd half of one game.

    D'Antoni said he initially didn't want Gallo in the draft and it was Walsh's scouts that convinced both him and Walsh to draft him.

    I think a lot of fans forget last year. Chandler was an awful outside shooter and just as inconsistent as Gallo. Gallo was tearing it up the last 20 games of the season. He was beginning to show what a lot of people thought he could be.

    He plays Gallo because of the system. For spreading the floor to run the pick-and-roll and give Amare room. We started the winning streak when Turiaf went to the bench and Chandler played PF to spread the defense.

    He only played Turiaf 20 minutes against the Spurs. He still went with Chandler at the 4 for the majority of the game, and the end of the game, to spread the floor.

    It's about the system, spacing and giving the current team the best chance to win based on the system. Not because he would prefer Gallo over winning.
    first of all that win streak was not aaginst that many good teams... im lookin at our record when turiafs starts...do you know what that is... look it up..ok

    and we are better.. when turiaf starts and chandler is a better 3 than gallo..

    i cant go by these last years cuz we were a losing team....and i am not a fan of good numbers on bad teams...

    we are good now.. and gallo should not be starting

    felton
    fields
    chandler
    amare
    turiaf

    gives us the best chance against good teams.. key word .. good

    if we cant get melo..im using galo for a big... and id use williams off the bench becuse he more comaprable to gallo thand gallo is to chandler

  5. #20
    Member BleedOrange&Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    354
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay

    I think a lot of fans forget last year. Chandler was an awful outside shooter and just as inconsistent as Gallo. Gallo was tearing it up the last 20 games of the season. He was beginning to show what a lot of people thought he could be.
    Tearing it up at the end of a losing season in meaningless games. Right so we should get back Mardy Collins and Earl Barron. Wilson is playing good on a good team in games that matter. Wilson as played well against the Heat, Celtics and was our best player in our best win of the season versus the Spurs. Gallo only really had a good game against the Celtics, in which he was horrible in the first half and then got it going down the stretch with clutch play. If he was consistently deadly from downtown and a little better rebounder then we can start talking, right now he is Matt Bonner.

  6. #21
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    county of the kings
    Posts
    1,120
    Rep Power
    9

    Nyk Logo

    Originally Posted by pat
    Agreed 100%. All there is to say: Danilo Gallinari EFF + 15.03. Why would you not play him? And it isn't even a question of playing Gallo over Chandler. D'Antoni plays them both.

    dont even bring up the EFF rating crap becuz chandler EFF rating is 19.33.. so he better than galo right

    also get this..Z bo EFF rating is 23.32 ....way over gallo and u dont want him.. dont be a fool

  7. #22
    Member BleedOrange&Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    354
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Originally Posted by pat
    Agreed 100%. All there is to say: Danilo Gallinari EFF + 15.03. Why would you not play him? And it isn't even a question of playing Gallo over Chandler. D'Antoni plays them both.
    Oh ok, so that contextless stat ends the debate, Gallo is great. Thanks Hollinger. Close this thread down right now!

  8. #23
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,674
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Originally Posted by moneyg
    first of all that win streak was not aaginst that many good teams... im lookin at our record when turiafs starts...do you know what that is... look it up..ok

    and we are better.. when turiaf starts and chandler is a better 3 than gallo..

    i cant go by these last years cuz we were a losing team....and i am not a fan of good numbers on bad teams...

    we are good now.. and gallo should not be starting

    felton
    fields
    chandler
    amare
    turiaf

    gives us the best chance against good teams.. key word .. good

    if we cant get melo..im using galo for a big... and id use williams off the bench becuse he more comaprable to gallo thand gallo is to chandler

    Our win streak was not against good teams ? Whats your point.

    Just to be clear....
    YOU believe that D'Antonio would rather lose games then miss out on giving Gallo a lot of minutes ?
    Is This Isiah Thomas on Knicksonlline because u sure sound like him.

  9. #24
    Member BleedOrange&Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    354
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Originally Posted by moneyg
    dont even bring up the EFF rating crap becuz chandler EFF rating is 19.33.. so he better than galo right

    also get this..Z bo EFF rating is 23.32 ....way over gallo and u dont want him.. dont be a fool
    haha u show those annoying hollinger wannabes!

  10. #25
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    525
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Sure Gallo got some favoritism in the past, but that was because we really had absolutely nothing else to root for in our mess of a bench. Chandler really wasn't playing that great at the time and we didn't have Amare to constantly draw double and triple teams or Felton to direct the offense.

    I totally agree with Ski in that it can't always be the coach's fault. Everyone always needs a scapegoat for something and once you get labeled one, its near impossible to get rid of the tag. Dantoni gets no credit for anything positive and all the blame for the negative.

    You all know I'm not a fan of Dantoni, but he's always played guys who perform and Gallo is backed by the numbers. Everyone gave credit for Nash for the Suns, but our offense is clicking just fine without him. Look at how guys like Barbosa and Diaw are doing now.... I doubt they would have gotten a chance to play like they did under most coaches and they're suffering under different systems now.

    Does Dantoni have a lot of faults? Yes, but the blame game has got to stop. Last I checked, we're winning right? Why not try to enjoy the ride instead of bickering at someone you hold a grudge against for a bad period in Knick history.

  11. #26
    Veteran LJ4ptplay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ft. Collins, CO
    Posts
    2,950
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Since apparently Gallo is making this team worse, according to many on this site, can anybody find a game this year after the 3-8 start (because everybody was playing like crap) where he cost us a game? Some posters on here have claimed that he has lost us games.

    I can think of many where his play was instrumental in winning games.

    After the 3-8 start, the first 4 games of that winning streak, he scored 21, 27, 23 and 31 points, including several late game clutch shots. The second Denver game in the Garden also comes to mind. He was sritical in that win.

    I suppose the Cleveland game could be placed on him. That was a terrible game. 3-14 shooting. Some of the other losses, he didn't shoot very much. I suppose that could be on him. He wasn't aggressive enough and should demand the ball more.

    Overall, I don't see where the hate comes from. He's not an all-star, and I never thought he would become one. I do think he can become a 20ppg game scorer. It's there. Nobody can deny that. All he needs to do is correct the same things that Chandler did, which coincidentally were the same faults with Chandler his whole career up until this year.

    He's a good role player that can get hot. Teams have needs for players like that too. They don't have to all be stars.

    The Garden media definitely sold him as the next up and coming star, but all teams do that when they're bad. Is that really reason to hate him though?

    Basically the only legitimate argument against Gallo is that he is inconsistent. Chandler was inconsistent his whole career up until this year. So why the hate?

  12. #27
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    county of the kings
    Posts
    1,120
    Rep Power
    9

    Nyk Logo

    Originally Posted by skisloper
    I think his point is that no matter what the scenario coach will call upon Gallo go into a game even if that means we lose....Based on our winning record the argument is mute.

    He is a Gallo hater or for some reason has issue with the bond coach has with Gallo. Should they pretend they are not close ?
    When we start losing and Gallo's on court performance worsens watch how quick Gallo is moved to the bench just as he was in the first 10 games of the season.
    the name of the thread is ..Dont hate the player ahte the coach...

    the hate for the coach mostly comes from his favortism of Gallo and a lil for his lack of defensive principles..

    so there no doubt where my postion is...its a shame how you even have to ask..... its unbelivable how people only read what they want to see

  13. #28
    Veteran LJ4ptplay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ft. Collins, CO
    Posts
    2,950
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by BleedOrange&Blue
    Tearing it up at the end of a losing season in meaningless games. Right so we should get back Mardy Collins and Earl Barron. Wilson is playing good on a good team in games that matter. Wilson as played well against the Heat, Celtics and was our best player in our best win of the season versus the Spurs. Gallo only really had a good game against the Celtics, in which he was horrible in the first half and then got it going down the stretch with clutch play. If he was consistently deadly from downtown and a little better rebounder then we can start talking, right now he is Matt Bonner.
    I'm not arguing that Gallo is better than Chandler, never. I'm fine with Gallo coming off the bench. But to argue that he makes us worse is just silly.

    The Mardy Collins example is a good example. Everyone was jacked up about him at the start of the next season, as was everybody about Gallo, hence why he started the season.

    And you wanted to trade Chandler too. You were wrong then, how do you know you aren't wrong now?

  14. #29
    Veteran LJ4ptplay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ft. Collins, CO
    Posts
    2,950
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by moneyg
    first of all that win streak was not aaginst that many good teams... im lookin at our record when turiafs starts...do you know what that is... look it up..ok

    and we are better.. when turiaf starts and chandler is a better 3 than gallo..

    i cant go by these last years cuz we were a losing team....and i am not a fan of good numbers on bad teams...

    we are good now.. and gallo should not be starting

    felton
    fields
    chandler
    amare
    turiaf

    gives us the best chance against good teams.. key word .. good

    if we cant get melo..im using galo for a big... and id use williams off the bench becuse he more comaprable to gallo thand gallo is to chandler
    Again, I'm fine with Gallo coming off the bench and Turiaf starting. Gallo will still get his minutes and Turiaf still his typical 20. It doesn't matter who starts.

    I'm just against all of those posters that believe this team is better without Gallo and are giving up on him. Chandler is the better player, for sure. But a lot of people gave up on him and were wrong, why should we give up on Gallo?

  15. #30
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    county of the kings
    Posts
    1,120
    Rep Power
    9

    Nyk Logo

    Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    I'm not arguing that Gallo is better than Chandler, never. I'm fine with Gallo coming off the bench. But to argue that he makes us worse is just silly.

    The Mardy Collins example is a good example. Everyone was jacked up about him at the start of the next season, as was everybody about Gallo, hence why he started the season.

    And you wanted to trade Chandler too. You were wrong then, how do you know you aren't wrong now?

    i just want to make it clear LJ.. i do not think Gallo makes us worse.. i root for this dude...but its clear the only reason he starts is becuz of favoritism

    i want him on this team.. but he is our best option as far as having value and being expenadable to use in a trade to upgrade the 5 position...

Similar Threads

  1. Carmelo Anthony is not an elite player
    By phantom9000 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 90
    Last Post: Mar 11, 2012, 21:52
  2. Traded by Knicks, Lee Was Still a Team Player
    By mafra in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: Jul 23, 2010, 03:16
  3. Today In NBA
    By NYKnicks15 in forum NBA
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: Apr 22, 2005, 11:43
  4. Larry Brown Won't Be The Next Knicks Coach
    By DownUnderKnick3 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Jan 31, 2005, 09:15
  5. Assistant Ford promoted to replace Ayers
    By KnickFan2080 in forum NBA
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Feb 10, 2004, 13:00

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •