Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 68

Thread: Don't hate the player.. Hate the coach

  1. #46
    Veteran Clyde & The Pearl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,463
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Originally Posted by Hitman
    The "truth?" What are you talking about?

    You started a thread yesterday about whether or not the NBA would ever consider dropping the salary cap,

    which proves

    you have absolutely no idea

    about reality.
    It was a question just to start a discussion. Plus I heard Stern on an interview at the beginning of this year contemplating that very issue. You know pros and cons...

    BUT? What does that have to do with Chandler, Walker and Williams eating Gallo up in practice? How far fetched is that? I can definitely see it happening on a daily basis...

  2. #47
    Sexy Stud knickzrulezH20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,781
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Originally Posted by nyk_nyk
    I went a bit off topic so let me get back.

    I do agree that coach favors Gallo and that's ok, BUT he can't alienate other players in the process. Ever since he got here, some guys were never given the opportunity to improve via quality playing time. Meanwhile, Gallo gets to "grow and learn" on the job and fight through his mistakes.

    Steph - No fair chance
    Darko - No fair chance
    Randolph - No fair chance (can he really be THAT bad?)
    Hughes - (defense improved with him but he still got benched for more O)
    Randolph looks that bad in a Knick uniform. Not because he sucks, I just think he's sick of being in the doghouse. He doesn't look like the type of player that has the maturity to learn from a benching. He looks awful in garbage time, and like he doesn't even care.

  3. #48
    Superstar pat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    903
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Originally Posted by moneyg
    dont even bring up the EFF rating crap becuz chandler EFF rating is 19.33.. so he better than galo right

    also get this..Z bo EFF rating is 23.32 ....way over gallo and u dont want him.. dont be a fool
    As I said: in our system you don't have to play Gallo over Chandler and as far as I can see they both get around 34 minutes of action. But why on earth would you bench a player with a +15 rating just because he is your godson?

    As far as your Zach argument is concerned, I have always said -- and will continue to do so -- that he is a good player, however, he is too slow, not enough of a shot blocker and too much of a black hole to be be as efficient in our system as he is in Memphis.

  4. #49
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,792
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Originally Posted by knickzrulezH20
    Randolph looks that bad in a Knick uniform. Not because he sucks, I just think he's sick of being in the doghouse. He doesn't look like the type of player that has the maturity to learn from a benching. He looks awful in garbage time, and like he doesn't even care.
    It's a tough "Chicken vs. Egg" thing.

    Does a player need meaningful minutes before you evaluate him? Can you blame him for not caring considering D'Antoni wasn't even putting him in the game when we were up by 30 points going into the 4th? It seems as if he doesn't have any motivation because he's in the doghouse and it seems kind of unfair given that he was a pretty decent player with the Warriors.

    But then you go on the other side of the coin and wonder if you can trust him with meaningful minutes if he doesn't even use garbage time well.

    It's tough...I do think D'Antoni should've played our benchwarmers to start the 4th instead of just waiting until the end of the game...I mean, the Suns were not coming back from that one...

  5. #50
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    county of the kings
    Posts
    1,120
    Rep Power
    8

    Nyk Logo

    Originally Posted by pat
    As I said: in our system you don't have to play Gallo over Chandler and as far as I can see they both get around 34 minutes of action. But why on earth would you bench a player with a +15 rating just because he is your godson?

    As far as your Zach argument is concerned, I have always said -- and will continue to do so -- that he is a good player, however, he is too slow, not enough of a shot blocker and too much of a black hole to be be as efficient in our system as he is in Memphis.

    PAt come on r u serious... im not saying bench him completely... but he should come off the bench.. yes..

    there r many player in the league with aroung 15 ERR ratings that come off the bench.. for example Jamal Crawford...

    all im saying is this.. given the same minutes.. Shawne Williams can produce the same number Gallo produces.. however Shawne Williams cant replace a player like Chandler

    I disagree with the black hole comparison to Zach.. Gallo doenst pass the ball..

    he steps back and lauches 3pters.. rarely does he drive the ball..which he should do more of

    i think zach and Gallo average about the same assists.... as far as our team is concerned Gallo is the blackhole for us.. he just does it from the perimiter.. which lead to fast break point for the other team

  6. #51
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    421
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Originally Posted by moneyg
    Al Harrington said it...

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]


    this article shows how quick O'antoni pulled harrington and inserted gallo after two bad games..something he didnt do to gallo.. lets say wouldnt do to gallo

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]


    sorry for not including it in the begining.. but i thought it if everybody on here followed the knicks..they would of read at least one article about it..

    im sure theres more..

    go do ur research
    Thanks for the articles, I forgot about them.

  7. #52
    Sexy Stud knickzrulezH20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,781
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Originally Posted by SSj4Wingzero
    It's a tough "Chicken vs. Egg" thing.

    Does a player need meaningful minutes before you evaluate him? Can you blame him for not caring considering D'Antoni wasn't even putting him in the game when we were up by 30 points going into the 4th? It seems as if he doesn't have any motivation because he's in the doghouse and it seems kind of unfair given that he was a pretty decent player with the Warriors.

    But then you go on the other side of the coin and wonder if you can trust him with meaningful minutes if he doesn't even use garbage time well.

    It's tough...I do think D'Antoni should've played our benchwarmers to start the 4th instead of just waiting until the end of the game...I mean, the Suns were not coming back from that one...

    Lol you know coach D'ant. We could have a 40 point lead heading into the 4th quarter and Ray Ray will still be in the ball game.

    And good points about Randolph. I honestly feel that when he's invested with the team and playing hard he could be a good player.

  8. #53
    Superstar pat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    903
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Originally Posted by moneyg
    I disagree with the black hole comparison to Zach.. Gallo doenst pass the ball..
    he steps back and lauches 3pters..
    Here I disagree with you. As far as I can see he passes the ball a lot, although this does not always amount to assists. A lot of them are hockey assists after he received the ball after an insight out pass after which a defender closes him out.

    I am only signed up here but if you have got a real GM account, by all means go to their universal NBA forum and without any further reference ask them whether Zach Randolph is a good fit for the Knicks current system. If you get positive results, I will eat my words.

  9. #54
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,845
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by pat
    Here I disagree with you. As far as I can see he passes the ball a lot, although this does not always amount to assists. A lot of them are hockey assists after he received the ball after an insight out pass after which a defender closes him out.

    I am only signed up here but if you have got a real GM account, by all means go to their universal NBA forum and without any further reference ask them whether Zach Randolph is a good fit for the Knicks current system. If you get positive results, I will eat my words.
    100.

    Great pt about the passing, too.

    See. When people talk like Gallo is a 1trick pony, or "just steps back and launches threes", we either watch different games, or they are myopic to Gallo. Not that they are blind to basketball, the knicks, or games, but to Gallo? Without a doubt.

    Countless times this season he has had reasonable 3pt looks, only to make moves to drive and either get to the basket or make a pass. 1trick benchplaying 3pt shooters don't get to the line 15times a game and ice free throws, and make instrumental clutch plays to close out games or keep them tight (a l BOS game, where Gallo's dunks and late drive and 1 was the very thing that gave us the true chance to win)

    On that note, the *quality* of his passes are extremely high and savvy. Which is exactly what you'd want from a forward, particularly in this offense and with Felton. Regardless of how many "assists" he happens to register in the stat book.

    He is very skilled and willing to ball movement.

    That Gallo has these skill, but is still flawed in them and his play...doesn't negate them.

    It's actually just what you'd expect for a 22yr old with big shoes to fill, in his 2nd full season.

    It's possible Gallo is overrated, terminally so. But it's impossible to truly debate that pt if ppl are fronting like he is a 1trick pony or robotic 3pt fiend.

    And re: being the son of D'ant's friend. Lol. He was a high projected lotto pick. His drafting wasn't a reach. He has/had skills (passing savvy, maturity, some experience, range) that D'ant covets, regardless of who the person is.

    It's a straw man argument and a superficiality to really think D'ant, and Walsh, would sacrifice NYK NBA basketball wins and team development bc D'ant want a to throw some old Italian friend a bone by playing his son...because he's a friend's son?

    That d'ant gives a long leash, etc etc is simply bc he likes him as a player, is a big young lotto pick, and that he has lots of talent and he's giving him some more time (I'd suspect all this season) to see if he can really blossom.

    That there is a tangental off-court relationship is incidental.

    This isn't behind closed doors politics. It's pro ****ing NYC basketball.

  10. #55
    Member BleedOrange&Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    354
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    I'm not arguing that Gallo is better than Chandler, never. I'm fine with Gallo coming off the bench. But to argue that he makes us worse is just silly.

    The Mardy Collins example is a good example. Everyone was jacked up about him at the start of the next season, as was everybody about Gallo, hence why he started the season.

    And you wanted to trade Chandler too. You were wrong then, how do you know you aren't wrong now?
    When did I want to trade Chandler? dude seriously stop.. now your just making stuff up.

  11. #56
    Veteran LJ4ptplay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ft. Collins, CO
    Posts
    2,950
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by BleedOrange&Blue
    When did I want to trade Chandler? dude seriously stop.. now your just making stuff up.
    Poor choice of words, my bad. Many, including you, recognized the need for a starting caliber SG and were open to moving Chandler for Rudy.

    Ironically though, you were more in favor of waiting and seeing how the inconsistent Chandler developed. The same position I have with Gallo.
    Last edited by LJ4ptplay; Jan 08, 2011 at 18:09.

  12. #57
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    962
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Life is unfair.

    Do you think Eli Manning would be a starting QB in the league (after his first 2 seasons) if he wasn't related to Peyton. They could have Akili smithed him....it's just what happens.

    EIther way Gallo is ok, at least he's much better this year than he was in years past.

  13. #58
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    county of the kings
    Posts
    1,120
    Rep Power
    8

    Nyk Logo

    Originally Posted by clumsy
    Life is unfair.

    Do you think Eli Manning would be a starting QB in the league (after his first 2 seasons) if he wasn't related to Peyton. They could have Akili smithed him....it's just what happens.

    EIther way Gallo is ok, at least he's much better this year than he was in years past.

    he wouldnt of even got that new contract extension..

    favoritism

    thats all im sayin...i dont hate gallo...i hate the favoritism

  14. #59
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,792
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    Poor choice of words, my bad. Many, including you, recognized the need for a starting caliber SG and were open to moving Chandler for Rudy.

    Ironically though, you were more in favor of waiting and seeing how the inconsistent Chandler developed. The same position I have with Gallo.
    Yeah.

    We had some posters here who were all but dead set on dumping Chandler for Rudy Fernandez, saying that we needed an SG, blah blah...Rudy fills a need, Chandler doesn't, Rudy has an outside shot, Chandler doesn't...

    And I almost hopped on board that train until I realized that Chandler was a good player and I wasn't ready to trade him JUST YET. He's really emerged and demonstrated what he's capable of doing.

    Hasn't Gallo done the same? He's not the exact same player as he was last year, he's far better. He's a far better defender than he was at the start of last year, he's relied on shooting the 3 much less than he did last year, and he's gotten much better at his other tools...keep in mind we didn't draft Gallo because of his shot...

  15. #60
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    421
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Originally Posted by moneyg
    he wouldnt of even got that new contract extension..

    favoritism

    thats all im sayin...i dont hate gallo...i hate the favoritism
    While I cannot prove there is no favoritism towards Gallo there a couple of things that could state to alleviate this point.

    1) D'antoni did sit this guy down when he was playing awful in the beginning of the season.

    2) [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

    While I do not completely agree with this article I can see the sense of D'antoni and Walsh are investing in their high draft pick. Meaning last year we knew most of our roster was going to be shipped out instead of a few key players like Chandler and Gallo. D'antoni spent a lot of time at the end of the year on those guys and discarded guys like Harrington.

    Again, I'm not saying it does not saying it does not exist, but I'm not sure if it truly does exists or if it is at a horrible degree.

Similar Threads

  1. Carmelo Anthony is not an elite player
    By phantom9000 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 90
    Last Post: Mar 11, 2012, 21:52
  2. Traded by Knicks, Lee Was Still a Team Player
    By mafra in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: Jul 23, 2010, 03:16
  3. Today In NBA
    By NYKnicks15 in forum NBA
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: Apr 22, 2005, 11:43
  4. Larry Brown Won't Be The Next Knicks Coach
    By DownUnderKnick3 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Jan 31, 2005, 09:15
  5. Assistant Ford promoted to replace Ayers
    By KnickFan2080 in forum NBA
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Feb 10, 2004, 13:00

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •