Don't hate the player.. Hate the coach

moneyg

Starter
Agreed 100%. All there is to say: Danilo Gallinari EFF + 15.03. Why would you not play him? And it isn't even a question of playing Gallo over Chandler. D'Antoni plays them both.

dont even bring up the EFF rating crap becuz chandler EFF rating is 19.33.. so he better than galo right

also get this..Z bo EFF rating is 23.32 ....way over gallo and u dont want him.. dont be a fool

BleedOrange&Blue

Benchwarmer
Agreed 100%. All there is to say: Danilo Gallinari EFF + 15.03. Why would you not play him? And it isn't even a question of playing Gallo over Chandler. D'Antoni plays them both.

Oh ok, so that contextless stat ends the debate, Gallo is great. Thanks Hollinger. Close this thread down right now!

skisloper

Starter
first of all that win streak was not aaginst that many good teams... im lookin at our record when turiafs starts...do you know what that is... look it up..ok

and we are better.. when turiaf starts and chandler is a better 3 than gallo..

i cant go by these last years cuz we were a losing team....and i am not a fan of good numbers on bad teams...

we are good now.. and gallo should not be starting

felton
fields
chandler
amare
turiaf

gives us the best chance against good teams.. key word .. good

if we cant get melo..im using galo for a big... and id use williams off the bench becuse he more comaprable to gallo thand gallo is to chandler

Our win streak was not against good teams ? Whats your point.

Just to be clear....
YOU believe that D'Antonio would rather lose games then miss out on giving Gallo a lot of minutes ?
Is This Isiah Thomas on Knicksonlline because u sure sound like him.

iJoe

Rotation player
Sure Gallo got some favoritism in the past, but that was because we really had absolutely nothing else to root for in our mess of a bench. Chandler really wasn't playing that great at the time and we didn't have Amare to constantly draw double and triple teams or Felton to direct the offense.

I totally agree with Ski in that it can't always be the coach's fault. Everyone always needs a scapegoat for something and once you get labeled one, its near impossible to get rid of the tag. Dantoni gets no credit for anything positive and all the blame for the negative.

You all know I'm not a fan of Dantoni, but he's always played guys who perform and Gallo is backed by the numbers. Everyone gave credit for Nash for the Suns, but our offense is clicking just fine without him. Look at how guys like Barbosa and Diaw are doing now.... I doubt they would have gotten a chance to play like they did under most coaches and they're suffering under different systems now.

Does Dantoni have a lot of faults? Yes, but the blame game has got to stop. Last I checked, we're winning right? Why not try to enjoy the ride instead of bickering at someone you hold a grudge against for a bad period in Knick history.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Since apparently Gallo is making this team worse, according to many on this site, can anybody find a game this year after the 3-8 start (because everybody was playing like crap) where he cost us a game? Some posters on here have claimed that he has lost us games.

I can think of many where his play was instrumental in winning games.

After the 3-8 start, the first 4 games of that winning streak, he scored 21, 27, 23 and 31 points, including several late game clutch shots. The second Denver game in the Garden also comes to mind. He was sritical in that win.

I suppose the Cleveland game could be placed on him. That was a terrible game. 3-14 shooting. Some of the other losses, he didn't shoot very much. I suppose that could be on him. He wasn't aggressive enough and should demand the ball more.

Overall, I don't see where the hate comes from. He's not an all-star, and I never thought he would become one. I do think he can become a 20ppg game scorer. It's there. Nobody can deny that. All he needs to do is correct the same things that Chandler did, which coincidentally were the same faults with Chandler his whole career up until this year.

He's a good role player that can get hot. Teams have needs for players like that too. They don't have to all be stars.

The Garden media definitely sold him as the next up and coming star, but all teams do that when they're bad. Is that really reason to hate him though?

Basically the only legitimate argument against Gallo is that he is inconsistent. Chandler was inconsistent his whole career up until this year. So why the hate?

moneyg

Starter
I think his point is that no matter what the scenario coach will call upon Gallo go into a game even if that means we lose....Based on our winning record the argument is mute.

He is a Gallo hater or for some reason has issue with the bond coach has with Gallo. Should they pretend they are not close ?
When we start losing and Gallo's on court performance worsens watch how quick Gallo is moved to the bench just as he was in the first 10 games of the season.

the name of the thread is ..Dont hate the player ahte the coach...

the hate for the coach mostly comes from his favortism of Gallo and a lil for his lack of defensive principles..

so there no doubt where my postion is...its a shame how you even have to ask..... its unbelivable how people only read what they want to see

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Tearing it up at the end of a losing season in meaningless games. Right so we should get back Mardy Collins and Earl Barron. Wilson is playing good on a good team in games that matter. Wilson as played well against the Heat, Celtics and was our best player in our best win of the season versus the Spurs. Gallo only really had a good game against the Celtics, in which he was horrible in the first half and then got it going down the stretch with clutch play. If he was consistently deadly from downtown and a little better rebounder then we can start talking, right now he is Matt Bonner.

I'm not arguing that Gallo is better than Chandler, never. I'm fine with Gallo coming off the bench. But to argue that he makes us worse is just silly.

The Mardy Collins example is a good example. Everyone was jacked up about him at the start of the next season, as was everybody about Gallo, hence why he started the season.

And you wanted to trade Chandler too. You were wrong then, how do you know you aren't wrong now?

LJ4ptplay

Starter
first of all that win streak was not aaginst that many good teams... im lookin at our record when turiafs starts...do you know what that is... look it up..ok

and we are better.. when turiaf starts and chandler is a better 3 than gallo..

i cant go by these last years cuz we were a losing team....and i am not a fan of good numbers on bad teams...

we are good now.. and gallo should not be starting

felton
fields
chandler
amare
turiaf

gives us the best chance against good teams.. key word .. good

if we cant get melo..im using galo for a big... and id use williams off the bench becuse he more comaprable to gallo thand gallo is to chandler

Again, I'm fine with Gallo coming off the bench and Turiaf starting. Gallo will still get his minutes and Turiaf still his typical 20. It doesn't matter who starts.

I'm just against all of those posters that believe this team is better without Gallo and are giving up on him. Chandler is the better player, for sure. But a lot of people gave up on him and were wrong, why should we give up on Gallo?

moneyg

Starter
I'm not arguing that Gallo is better than Chandler, never. I'm fine with Gallo coming off the bench. But to argue that he makes us worse is just silly.

The Mardy Collins example is a good example. Everyone was jacked up about him at the start of the next season, as was everybody about Gallo, hence why he started the season.

And you wanted to trade Chandler too. You were wrong then, how do you know you aren't wrong now?

i just want to make it clear LJ.. i do not think Gallo makes us worse.. i root for this dude...but its clear the only reason he starts is becuz of favoritism

i want him on this team.. but he is our best option as far as having value and being expenadable to use in a trade to upgrade the 5 position...

nyk_nyk

All Star
I and a few others have made the point about Gallo all season, but these people are obviously brainwashed by the Al Trautwigs of the world, they buy into the hype and the marketing and lets face it... Guys like Gallo, Nate Robinson are novelty players that put fans in seats and get people excited.

Let these kids enjoy him while he lasts as trying to argue with them is pointless, you get the same bs line every time.. hes young talented etc... You either know how to play basketball or not. Gallo skills are limited by his difficulty adjusting to the physical nature of the nba and his own lack of athleticism.

To be fair tho, I think its not his fault. To his credit he even said that he doubts he will be an all-star and he did not ask for all the attention and hype that was forced on him by MSG and the media. Gallo has demonstrated a desire to get better and seems very coachable so I got no real problem with him as its his job to shoot 3 pointers whether hes hitting or not. Its more the moronic Gallo-lovers who come with the same tired argument and literally look more and more delusional with each lackluster outing Gallo has. Luckily people have caught on finally, including the press which is now giving Wilson his f**king due.

The All-Star promotion is just that promotional marketing, Donnie and D'Antoni aren't stupid, if they could unload Gallo and AR for Carmelo they would pull that heist off in a NY Milli-second. As is your just going to put up with the ensuing cock-sucking party that goes on every time he does something remotely productive like hit a wide open shot, or do his best Ginobili impression to get to the line.

Gallo is not a great player, nor will he ever will be but its more the fault of D'Antoni and MSG marketing that pumped this kid up with expectations so average is not good enough.

This just about sums it up. Gallo is who he is, a 6-10 shooter with no athletic ability. The reason there are two sides here is because some of us bought into the Gallo mania and "face of the franchise" talks early on. Others, like myself, have seen through the hype and figured out that Gallo is a solid role player but nothing more. You can see the signs early for players who reach that next level. Gallo has NOT gotten much better each year. Based on what I've seen he's pretty much stayed the same. Sure he's attacked the basket a bit more than usual but he's still one dimensional. Either he takes a 3 or flops his way (while constantly jerking his head back) to the basket. No mid-range game.

He'll have his 20 point games and follow that up with 2-3 subpar games. He's not a major piece to the puzzle but he is a piece... a role player type. I've already gone on record as saying he should be in the rotation, just not a starter.

Here's one for the Gallo lovers to chew on: For all of Gallo's responsibility on the court, i'd rather have Harrington in that position. Note that Al can hit the 3 at the same clip plus he posts up and attacks the basket. He mixes his game up nicely, puts pressure on defenses and that's what I want to see from Gallo. Probably won't though since he's had enough time to showcase it.

FYI - I'm not lobbying a trade for Harrington! (I know how people like to twist stuff up)

Why are you guys comparing/asking who is better between Gallo or Chandler? Does it really matter because last time I checked they are both NY Knicks and both are young players that are grooming their games.

I swear some people want to see certain players on this team do bad just to hate more even if we lose a game. And Ya'll call yourselves Knicks' fans

LJ4ptplay

Starter
i just want to make it clear LJ.. i do not think Gallo makes us worse.. i root for this dude...but its clear the only reason he starts is becuz of favoritism

i want him on this team.. but he is our best option as far as having value and being expenadable to use in a trade to upgrade the 5 position...

That's fine. I just disagree about the favoritism thing. I'm sure he has some feelings for Gallo more than other players but D'Antoni seems like a cold-hearted bastard to me. I wouldn't doubt it for a second that he would not play any player, including Gallo, just to get a win.

Why are you guys comparing/asking who is better between Gallo or Chandler? Does it really matter because last time I checked they are both NY Knicks and both are young players that are grooming their games.

I swear some people want to see certain players on this team do bad just to hate more even if we lose a game. And Ya'll call yourselves Knicks' fans

Lol! Can't we all just get along?

We're winning, and playing the best basketball in over 10 years, with a good young core that is playing some of the best TEAM basketball I've seen in years and can only get better as a group. I for one, am happy as a motherf*cker. Some fans will always focus on the negative.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
[/B]

and that's what I want to see from Gallo. Probably won't though since he's had enough time to showcase it.

And therein lies the difference between me and the Gallo haters. I don't think he's had enough time to showcase it. I learned my lesson from bashing Chandler. He was just as inconsistent as Gallo last year and I wanted to trade him for Rudy. Boy was I wrong about that one!

I'll give Gallo the rest of this year, which, ironically, is actually less time I gave Chandler. If he can't show some consistency by then, I will be on board for moving him. Although, who knows, maybe next year he'll put it together and I will have been wrong again. It took Chandler 3 years to put it together, maybe it will take Gallo the same.

nyk_nyk

All Star
I went a bit off topic so let me get back.

I do agree that coach favors Gallo and that's ok, BUT he can't alienate other players in the process. Ever since he got here, some guys were never given the opportunity to improve via quality playing time. Meanwhile, Gallo gets to "grow and learn" on the job and fight through his mistakes.

Steph - No fair chance
Darko - No fair chance
Randolph - No fair chance (can he really be THAT bad?)
Hughes - (defense improved with him but he still got benched for more O)

bboycustom92

Benchwarmer
Who cares? The knicks are winning. Isn't that all that matters? Chandler and Gallo have both been playing great. And The knicks are doing what they gotta do. I would understand if the thread was made when they were 3-8 but come on... 20-14 and people are b*th$n and moaning over nothing.

welcometonycity

Rotation player
ur right bro. I hate to say it as much as i love Galo the italian stalian and his game. He really isnt better then Chandler. I know everyone is saying give him time this and that. I think no matter what hes better off the bench or a good trading tool. Nd i love dude and would always be a fan not hatin on em. As far an D'antoni hes a good coach/player but can he take a team to the championship and win it??????? i dnt think so, hate to say it.

Hitman

Benchwarmer
What the truth hurts? Name calling isnt getting your point across...

The "truth?" What are you talking about?

You started a thread yesterday about whether or not the NBA would ever consider dropping the salary cap,

which proves

you have absolutely no idea

about reality.