Carmelo to Nets deal within 4"8 hours" (I'm not buying it)

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
If his shooting percentage weren't at one of the lowest of his career, then I'd say you were right.

Honestly he's still not a bad player, he's a good 6th man and an average starting SG but he's not really a quality player on a championship team like he was six years ago

And of course we have to realize that there's a reason he got booted for the starting lineup and is now behind Gordon (he was the starter for a while, and now no longer is)

la2ny

Starter
I still don't see how that solves their point situation if it happens. I wouldn't want Jordan Farmar starting for my team but thats just me.

I was listening to David Aldridge on Gametime and he said what I've thought all along this is another trade scenario that has been put out there pretty much like all the rest. There is nothing to this until Carmelo's ass is sitting in Newark, @ the Prudential Center, @ a press conference, with a Sharpie ink pen signing that extension.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
It's weird his shooting percentage is that low but he's 32. Comparatively Ray Allen is 36 I believe, and still playing very well. He's got some game left.

Melo apparently thinks he's still serviceable, according to the above sources anyway.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
That's what I don't really understand.

Melo thinks Rip Hamilton is serviceable?

At this point in his career, Wilson Chandler is better. Hell, Gallo is better. Felton is better. Landry Fields is better...almost every person on our roster is just as good as Hamilton if not better and Melo wants RIP to help him to a title?

This isn't 2004...them '04 Pistons aren't the same team as they were back then...just because you reunite two former champions doesn't mean they'll get you to a title...

Markutis

Benchwarmer
With his trade to the Nets Carmelo Anthony is finally on his way to the MVP = Moronic Villainous Phony. The difference between signing an extension with NJ or not is Rip Hamilton? Are you serious?

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Rip's not a BAD player.

But he can't possibly be a legitimate reason Carmelo would extend in New Jersey.

Rip isn't a superstar. He's not even a star. He's a solid player.

But he's not going to be the second option on a championship team. He's barely the second option on a lottery team. He's a solid contributor, and that's it. He's got 2 years left on this contract after this year and he's not getting any better than this.

AlboKnickFan

Benchwarmer
People....

Carmelo Anthony will still have to agree to this deal ( to sign the extension).
If Carmelo does not agree the deal will not go down.
Now, Denver and Nets might have agreed already but I havent seen or read any source that said that Carmelo wants to play for the Nets. :)

However, Carmelo would be a nice piece to add to our team, but I DEFINITELY would not give up both Fields and Chandler for him...
We rather need a Center i.e Marc Gasol and a back up point guard i.e (Luke Ridnour)..And maybe a couple of other veteran shooters and we`ll be cont
enders even without Carmelo.

Having a starting lineup of Felton, Fields, Chandler, Amare, and M. Gasol and a bench of Ridnour, Gallo, Turiaf, Williams is DEFINITELY a legit contender.

Remember guys we already have 2 all-star like players in Amare and Felton. All we need is a good rebounding center that can run the floor like M. Gasol, and some good role players and we`ll be good.

P.S. I am still convinced that Carmelo will find a way to play for the Knicks at MSG. He can simply do that by not agreeing to sign that extension.
Then, sooner or later Denver will basically be forced to trade him to NY.

Markutis

Benchwarmer
In fact, Melo has said a few minutes ago he doesn't know anything about this trade. Also has stated he doesn't see it happening. Now there are only two options:

1. He's liying
2. Melo must fire his agent

Blas

Benchwarmer
Wow some of you are missing the biggest point.

If this deal goes down, it wasn't MAINLY because of rip, billups, or etc.

Its because of the money. Simple. He still wants to get paid. There has been nothing in reports, rumors, etc that indicates players will be getting better contracts if a new CBA gets done. Matter in fact its been very strongly the opposite. Melo knows this, he wants his money now, ring later.

And to those who say he can make his money up in endorsements, well what happens if he gets a couple of season or even a career ending injuries. Where do those endorsements go? That isn't a guaranteed cash flow, but in this current CBA this next extension he signs is guaranteed.

Its because of the money. Simple. He still wants to get paid. There has been nothing in reports, rumors, etc that indicates players will be getting better contracts if a new CBA gets done. Matter in fact its been very strongly the opposite. Melo knows this, he wants his money now, ring later.

And to those who say he can make his money up in endorsements, well what happens if he gets a couple of season or even a career ending injuries. Where do those endorsements go? That isn't a guaranteed cash flow, but in this current CBA this next extension he signs is guaranteed.

I was just getting ready to type the same thing. +1....

la2ny

Starter

I've said all along if he signs w/ NJ we know it was money over winning so Oh well if thats the case you know. At the same time there hasn't been anything on anyside suggesting he'd sign there all just "sources reports" until he's in NJ. Remember Chris Brousarrds "sources" knew where LBJ was going every week until his decision, first it was Miami, then Chicago, then New York, then Chicago, then Cleveland, and finally the day b4 Miami.

mafra

Legend
Well, just as I thought. Much ado about nothing. Just the Nets rattling the bushes.... Carmelo has all the power here. AND, it apepars from his quotes last night, that this deal is FAR from happening (in other words: he isn't signing an extension with NJ anytime soon.

FROM theknicksblog.com

@christomasson: More from Melo: "I'm just saying saying I don't see that happening right now.''

@christomasson: Asked if this was his last Nuggets game, Melo said. "Not at all. Not at all. Not at all. Not at all.''

ALSO, it seems like STOUDEMIRE could care less if he gets Melo or not. Actually, hemight prefer Gasol and a bunch of role players:

LOS ANGELES - Amar'e Stoudemire has said publicly that he'd love to see the Knicks acquire Carmelo Anthony, but not everyone who has played with Stoudemire believes him.
"Amar'e will embrace any teammate, but if it were up to him, I know he'd rather just see the Knicks stay the way they are," says a former Suns teammate, who requested anonymity.
"Amar'e likes being the guy. He likes the players that are around him. I know he's thinking, 'Why would we want to change this?'
"I don't think he's going to be that upset if the Knicks don't get Carmelo, I'll tell you that."
On Friday, Stoudemire said of the Knicks, "We don't really need much." That doesn't sound like a franchise player pleading with the front office to make a move.
The Nets are in serious talks with the Nuggets to acquire Anthony, who would first have to agree to a contract extension with New Jersey before a deal would be finalized.
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b..._knicks_dont_get_carmelo_anthony_former_.html

mafra

Legend
I could see NJ sending 1 of their picks to Detroit to make this work. I agree Detroit could hold this up, Rip has more value than a Murphy salary dump.

I could def. see DET (Dumars) helping the Nets. That guy passed on Melo for Darko. The last thing he wants is for Melo to go to NYC and play with STAT, so he could have that mistake shoved in his face year after year.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
I'm alright with Iggy. I guess on the fence. I liked him a lot better 2 years ago, it seems like he has regressed these past 2 years. And I know the thought on this board is that Chandler is better than Iggy. But having both of them would be exciting from a defensive perspective. That contract is scary though.

I think his play as of late has to do with his situation in Philly more than he talent diminishing. We have seen this kind of thing time and time again when a player becomes unhappy with the his current team... We saw it with Carter, we saw it with Jason Richardson... These upper level talents seem to get rejuvenated when traded to a team of their better liking..... At least I hope with Iggy! I'm not saying that this Melo thing is a done deal but I think it has become increasing clearer that Denver does not want to trade with NY and unless the amazing Donnie Walsh can pull a rabbit out of his hat (or in our case multiple #1 draft picks); we just might see Melo in a Nets uniform along with Hamilton and Billups.... All of a sudden, NJ would be a contender! (Lopez, Melo, Harrington and Billups)... That's serious!

quiggle

Starter
how come you're not buying this, everyone knows Denver is only dealing with the Nets for Carmelo? at least the nets have a legit center and last night's game exposed the knicks lack size to ever win a championship.

Speak3asy

Benchwarmer
ESPN is all over this and it seems pretty legit. Still I think Denver is mad and is making their organization look like a piece of shit by not allowing a Marque player in this league with the choice to make a choice. He should be allowed to go to NY and play if he so desires. NJ and DEN will come out of this with a lot of egg on their face whether the deal goes down or not.

I'm happy with our progression right now and think were doing above expectations which is just gravy. Getting Melo now or later or never doesn't mean were going to win a title this year anyway so I could give a shit less. Right now I'm enjoying watching us be entertaining and playing extremely hard for the shirt and seeing players that actually want to be here. That is better then Melo coming now or never imo.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
how come you're not buying this, everyone knows Denver is only dealing with the Nets for Carmelo? at least the nets have a legit center and last night's game exposed the knicks lack size to ever win a championship.

100%! The Knicks need another big to flank Amare. Since Varejo is out for the season, I would look to Washington who is about to have a fire sale to see if we could land McGee or Blatche or even both.. I know Blatche still has 5 years left on his contract but he might be a good player to help STAT rest a little. Blatche can score and rebound so Amare could shave off some playing time during the season in order to rest those knees! McGee is a decent 5 ( a little bit of a project in my opinion) and could really add that length we need at the 5.

quiggle

Starter
yeah and if you're to compare grapes with oranges, STAT is like Ewing so you have no one on this team an enforcer like Oakley. Kobe got that protection with Artest.