Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Carmelo to Nets deal within 4"8 hours" (I'm not buying it)

Originally Posted by Blas
    Wow some of you are missing the biggest point.

If this deal goes down, it wasn't MAINLY because of rip, billups, or etc.

Its because of the money. Simple. He still wants to get paid. There has been nothing in reports, rumors, etc that indicates players will be getting better contracts if a new CBA gets done. Matter in fact its been very strongly the opposite. Melo knows this, he wants his money now, ring later.

And to those who say he can make his money up in endorsements, well what happens if he gets a couple of season or even a career ending injuries. Where do those endorsements go? That isn't a guaranteed cash flow, but in this current CBA this next extension he signs is guaranteed.
    I was just getting ready to type the same thing. +1....

Originally Posted by Blas
    Wow some of you are missing the biggest point.

If this deal goes down, it wasn't MAINLY because of rip, billups, or etc.

Its because of the money. Simple. He still wants to get paid. There has been nothing in reports, rumors, etc that indicates players will be getting better contracts if a new CBA gets done. Matter in fact its been very strongly the opposite. Melo knows this, he wants his money now, ring later.
    I've said all along if he signs w/ NJ we know it was money over winning so Oh well if thats the case you know. At the same time there hasn't been anything on anyside suggesting he'd sign there all just "sources reports" until he's in NJ. Remember Chris Brousarrds "sources" knew where LBJ was going every week until his decision, first it was Miami, then Chicago, then New York, then Chicago, then Cleveland, and finally the day b4 Miami.

Well, just as I thought. Much ado about nothing. Just the Nets rattling the bushes.... Carmelo has all the power here. AND, it apepars from his quotes last night, that this deal is FAR from happening (in other words: he isn't signing an extension with NJ anytime soon.

FROM theknicksblog.com

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]: More from Melo: "I'm just saying saying I don't see that happening right now.''

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]: Asked if this was his last Nuggets game, Melo said. "Not at all. Not at all. Not at all. Not at all.''

ALSO, it seems like STOUDEMIRE could care less if he gets Melo or not. Actually, hemight prefer Gasol and a bunch of role players:

LOS ANGELES - Amar'e Stoudemire has said publicly that he'd love to see the Knicks acquire Carmelo Anthony, but not everyone who has played with Stoudemire believes him.
    "Amar'e will embrace any teammate, but if it were up to him, I know he'd rather just see the Knicks stay the way they are," says a former Suns teammate, who requested anonymity.
    "Amar'e likes being the guy. He likes the players that are around him. I know he's thinking, 'Why would we want to change this?'
    "I don't think he's going to be that upset if the Knicks don't get Carmelo, I'll tell you that."
    On Friday, Stoudemire said of the Knicks, "We don't really need much." That doesn't sound like a franchise player pleading with the front office to make a move.
    The Nets are in serious talks with the Nuggets to acquire Anthony, who would first have to agree to a contract extension with New Jersey before a deal would be finalized.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Veteran

Originally Posted by Crazy8s
    I really don't see Detroit helping out 2 opponents for practically nothing in return.
    I could see NJ sending 1 of their picks to Detroit to make this work. I agree Detroit could hold this up, Rip has more value than a Murphy salary dump.

Originally Posted by tiger0330
    I could see NJ sending 1 of their picks to Detroit to make this work. I agree Detroit could hold this up, Rip has more value than a Murphy salary dump.

I could def. see DET (Dumars) helping the Nets. That guy passed on Melo for Darko. The last thing he wants is for Melo to go to NYC and play with STAT, so he could have that mistake shoved in his face year after year.

Originally Posted by knickzrulezH20
    I'm alright with Iggy. I guess on the fence. I liked him a lot better 2 years ago, it seems like he has regressed these past 2 years. And I know the thought on this board is that Chandler is better than Iggy. But having both of them would be exciting from a defensive perspective. That contract is scary though.
    I think his play as of late has to do with his situation in Philly more than he talent diminishing. We have seen this kind of thing time and time again when a player becomes unhappy with the his current team... We saw it with Carter, we saw it with Jason Richardson... These upper level talents seem to get rejuvenated when traded to a team of their better liking..... At least I hope with Iggy! I'm not saying that this Melo thing is a done deal but I think it has become increasing clearer that Denver does not want to trade with NY and unless the amazing Donnie Walsh can pull a rabbit out of his hat (or in our case multiple #1 draft picks); we just might see Melo in a Nets uniform along with Hamilton and Billups.... All of a sudden, NJ would be a contender! (Lopez, Melo, Harrington and Billups)... That's serious!

how come you're not buying this, everyone knows Denver is only dealing with the Nets for Carmelo? at least the nets have a legit center and last night's game exposed the knicks lack size to ever win a championship.

ESPN is all over this and it seems pretty legit. Still I think Denver is mad and is making their organization look like a piece of **** by not allowing a Marque player in this league with the choice to make a choice. He should be allowed to go to NY and play if he so desires. NJ and DEN will come out of this with a lot of egg on their face whether the deal goes down or not.

I'm happy with our progression right now and think were doing above expectations which is just gravy. Getting Melo now or later or never doesn't mean were going to win a title this year anyway so I could give a **** less. Right now I'm enjoying watching us be entertaining and playing extremely hard for the shirt and seeing players that actually want to be here. That is better then Melo coming now or never imo.

Originally Posted by quiggle
    how come you're not buying this, everyone knows Denver is only dealing with the Nets for Carmelo? at least the nets have a legit center and last night's game exposed the knicks lack size to ever win a championship.
    100%! The Knicks need another big to flank Amare. Since Varejo is out for the season, I would look to Washington who is about to have a fire sale to see if we could land McGee or Blatche or even both.. I know Blatche still has 5 years left on his contract but he might be a good player to help STAT rest a little. Blatche can score and rebound so Amare could shave off some playing time during the season in order to rest those knees! McGee is a decent 5 ( a little bit of a project in my opinion) and could really add that length we need at the 5.

yeah and if you're to compare grapes with oranges, STAT is like Ewing so you have no one on this team an enforcer like Oakley. Kobe got that protection with Artest.

Any chance we could possible pull of a blockbuster trade with Indiana? Hibbert and Granger?

Melo needs to come clean about what he wants. If this deal falls through because he didn't agree to sign an extension, then he's toying with everybody. He may incur a fine, but it's time for him to publically state what the hell he wants. This is getting ridiculous. He's starting to look bad in all of this.

And if this deal does fall through, Denver will start talking to us. They'll realize they are out of options. It's just a shame NJ, Detroit, Charlotte, Utah, Denver all got played and did all that work while Melo played coy with everyone.

I've changed my stance on this over the last week or so. I still believe that the team would greatly benefit from another go-to guy when Amare plays like he did last night... Or when he's limited due to foul trouble. However, its just as important for us to upgrade the center position and acquire a quality backup pg. If Melo decides on NJ then cool and we move on. I won't bash him at all for his choice because as we all know, the money cannot be overlooked. This is also why we were able to get Amare and Dantoni.

Melo's new agents (CAA) are pushing for NJ because the have yet to get paid off him and it benefits them financially to have him sign as quickly as possible. Add to that DEN not wanting to deal with us and you have an unfavorable position for NYK. The only way this get back on track is if Melo comes out publicly and says he will only sign an extension with NY. Unfortunately, Melo will not do this because then he looks like the villain. He doesn't want to be hated in DEN but that will happen once management tells the fans that they got nickels on the dollar because Melo refused to work with us to at least secure our future.

It’s a lot of PR work in this situation folks.

Veteran

Everyone can kick back and chill. This is next to meaningless.

This laughably, strategically public negotation talk is good, if anything

All this means, at most, is there is a theoretical deal in place where the Gm's are maybe down.

Melo's consent, the singularly important, most consequential thing, and thing that we have in our pocket, isn't even being discussed. No ammendments to the already established reality that he will only sign here.

**** like this gets talked around nba offices hourly. Only difference is Den and Nj, two rejects in a pod, are leaking it. And the starved, small beasts that are 99% of sports writers are gobbling it up faster than when I give my bulldog a t- bone.

If it went thru, whatev, unlikely **** happens. Lifes a gamble. Melo is a fool. Nj will still suck. We will not.

Veteran

Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    Melo needs to come clean about what he wants. If this deal falls through because he didn't agree to sign an extension, then he's toying with everybody. He may incur a fine, but it's time for him to publically state what the hell he wants. This is getting ridiculous. He's starting to look bad in all of this.

And if this deal does fall through, Denver will start talking to us. They'll realize they are out of options. It's just a shame NJ, Detroit, Charlotte, Utah, Denver all got played and did all that work while Melo played coy with everyone.
    Why is it a shame dude? It plays to our advantage if anything. This is a high stakes game for Melo personally, the highest of any one involved. I don't blame him for not explicitly laying out everything. It just weakens his position and potential options by making things more finite. He is playing against Den, its not a solo game for him.

Besides it's a virtual fact he wants to go here n will only sign here. These teams are just doing their thing trying to get a coup and swoop in, and Den trying to trade away from us, likely part spite and wounded ego and wanting 1sts.