Give D'Antoni his respect.

metrocard

Legend
He's not a defensive minded coach, obviously.

But how can you deny the FACT that he gets the most of his players?

Raja Bell
Leandro Barbosa
Boris Diaw
Even Steve Nash.

Now

Amare is 2nd in the NBA in scoring.
a 13 and 6 PG is averaging 19 and 9
Walker and Williams have been sharpshooters off the bench.
Chandler is playing like Danny Granger
A 2nd round pick is the 2nd best rookie in the league right now.
And Gallo is still Gallo but with room to grow and produce.

I'll tell you what, D'Antoni may never get us a championship.

But respect the guy.
To those who wanted to FIRE this guy within the first 10 games of the season are morons still this day and must embarrassed for lacking patience and enough sense to realize D'Antoni is an established NBA coach who will revamp and turn any franchise into a contender. He's a GENIUS offensively. Respect this guy and be happy he's in New York.

Raja Bell
Leandro Barbosa
Boris Diaw
Even Steve Nash.

Now

But respect the guy.
To those who wanted to FIRE this guy within the first 10 games of the season are morons still this day and must embarrassed for lacking patience and enough sense to realize D'Antoni is an established NBA coach who will revamp and turn any franchise into a contender. He's a GENIUS offensively. Respect this guy and be happy he's in New York.

I dont know Metro. Does he get the best out of his players, or does he find the players that fit what he does best? I mean I was checking AR's stats from the last two seasons and I really cant understand why this kid isnt sniffing some PT. His rookie year he had a PER of 16.94 which is slighty above average. Last year he increased that to 18.71 which was almost top ten among power forwards. Now he sees ZERO minutes?

Last night we had a TOTAL of 26 rebounds. TOTAL. Utah killed us in the paint. Yet you keep a young somewhat proven 7 footer on the bench.

I just dont understand. If you score 125 pts you should obviously win the game...

iJoe

Rotation player
I dont know Metro. Does he get the best out of his players, or does he find the players that fit what he does best? I mean I was checking AR's stats from the last two seasons and I really cant understand why this kid isnt sniffing some PT. His rookie year he had a PER of 16.94 which is slighty above average. Last year he increased that to 18.71 which was almost top ten among power forwards. Now he sees ZERO minutes?

Last night we had a TOTAL of 26 rebounds. TOTAL. Utah killed us in the paint. Yet you keep a young somewhat proven 7 footer on the bench.

I just dont understand. If you score 125 pts you should obviously win the game...

As for whether he gets the best out of his players.... just look at how he used Diaw and Barbosa. He got the absolute max you could get out of those guys.

I hate how everyone thinks they know so much about AR. His stats when he got a tiny bit of playing time on an absolutely chaotic Warriors teams run by a coach who didn't care about shit, really don't mean anything when you watch how he played this season.

AR wants to play like Tracy Mcgrady and be a star offensive player. We want him to be a role player. He refuses to do anything fundamental. Just because a player has great potential.... it doesn't mean its the coach's fault that they can't play team ball. Do you think any coach out there could get Stromile Swift, Darius Miles or any of the other screwball high talent knuckleheads to play team ball and give them playing time?

Put the pressure where it belongs. AR should be working his ass off to EARN his time. We shouldn't be giving handouts for anyone. Landry Fields worked his ass off from projected bench fodder to an NBA starter. No one can argue Dant didn't give him a chance.

metrocard

Legend

Randolph not playing is a mystery to me.

As for whether he gets the best out of his players.... just look at how he used Diaw and Barbosa. He got the absolute max you could get out of those guys.

I hate how everyone thinks they know so much about AR. His stats when he got a tiny bit of playing time on an absolutely chaotic Warriors teams run by a coach who didn't care about shit, really don't mean anything when you watch how he played this season.

AR wants to play like Tracy Mcgrady and be a star offensive player. We want him to be a role player. He refuses to do anything fundamental. Just because a player has great potential.... it doesn't mean its the coach's fault that they can't play team ball. Do you think any coach out there could get Stromile Swift, Darius Miles or any of the other screwball high talent knuckleheads to play team ball and give them playing time?

Put the pressure where it belongs. AR should be working his ass off to EARN his time. We shouldn't be giving handouts for anyone. Landry Fields worked his ass off from projected bench fodder to an NBA starter. No one can argue Dant didn't give him a chance.

Randolph doesn't have to play like T'Mac. Its pretty simple to assign Randolph to playing off the ball.

Once Randolph gets comfortable actually playing, then we can get him involved in more plays.

Sometimes we put too much blame on the players...and I'm not trying to blame D'Antoni, but if this franchise took Randolph more seriously then we'll see that 18 PER PF/C grabbing 12-15 rebounds and getting 2-5 blocks on occasional games.

iJoe

Rotation player
Randolph doesn't have to play like T'Mac. Its pretty simple to assign Randolph to playing off the ball.

Once Randolph gets comfortable actually playing, then we can get him involved in more plays.

Sometimes we put too much blame on the players...and I'm not trying to blame D'Antoni, but if this franchise took Randolph more seriously then we'll see that 18 PER PF/C grabbing 12-15 rebounds and getting 2-5 blocks on occasional games.

Have you seen Randolph play off the ball? He either looks disinterested or a lost puppy. Like I said in my previous post, theres only so much a coach can do if a player isn't learning what he is being taught. Young talents like to have the ball in their hands and be the focus of every offensive and defensive play. Learning to play off the ball takes hard work and knowing not to try to block every single shot and play position defense takes even more work. Its easy to say "teach him fundamentals" but its much harder in real life as you can see by the large number of highly talented NBA failures.

nyk_nyk

All Star

Raja Bell
Leandro Barbosa
Boris Diaw
Even Steve Nash.

Now

But respect the guy.

For the most part I agree with your post but the fact that Fields is the 2nd best rookie has more to do with his basketball IQ and enhanced learning curve and less about Dantoni. I believe he'd be just as good in any system.

Also, Gallo really hasn't improved much and still has room to grow (like u said) so I don't understand why he's mentioned.

AR played 63 games as a rookie. 18 mins a game. His PER was better than such notables as Rashard Lewis and Lamar Odom. For a rookie thats pretty dam good.

One game I'd like to point out last year against Boston and their bigs he scored 18 pts and grabbed 9 boards, 3 offensive in 24 minutes. He had other games better than this against Orlando, LAL and Houston.

I dont think AR wants to play like McGrady I think he just wants to play. Based on his past success I think this kid can help big time.

The difference with Fields is he isnt a big. Mike D has problems with most Bigs that cant shot from 15ft...

moneyg

Starter
oh yeah and paul silas is better...they r on a 4 game win streak..and everybodys scoring is up..

because they got more scoring opps in a fast paced offense.. same players...

no more larry brown..but i cant say silas is a better coach then larry

metrocard

Legend
Have you seen Randolph play off the ball? He either looks disinterested or a lost puppy. Like I said in my previous post, theres only so much a coach can do if a player isn't learning what he is being taught. Young talents like to have the ball in their hands and be the focus of every offensive and defensive play. Learning to play off the ball takes hard work and knowing not to try to block every single shot and play position defense takes even more work. Its easy to say "teach him fundamentals" but its much harder in real life as you can see by the large number of highly talented NBA failures.

How much have you seen Randolph play to make this statement?

Honestly.

We cannot assess Anthony Randolph in garbage time.
It just isn't fair. Especially to a dude who posted up an 18 PER last year.

skisloper

Starter
The Knicks are winning. Just like we have seen Williams and Walker emerge why not have faith in D'aantonio that when Randolph is ready he too will play...

**** also remember he is the key to a first round pick right now that we may or may not need. If he gets hurt before the deadline then he is really useless to us. I prefer to have him sit and if he is not traded then Coach can find a spot for him****

we are winning and much better then we all thought we would be....why do we constantly sit here and question the coach.....

Is it just never good enough in NY.....

iJoe

Rotation player
For the most part I agree with your post but the fact that Fields is the 2nd best rookie has more to do with his basketball IQ and enhanced learning curve and less about Dantoni. I believe he'd be just as good in any system.

This is what frustrates me. Landry is great because he has an enhanced learning curve....... so isn't it safe the say that AR isn't that great because he has a very slow learning curve?

Let me get this straight...

Felton plays great - Dantoni barely gets credit
Fields plays great -Dantoni gets no credit
Gallo not improving - Dantoni sucks balls
Amare playing great without Nash - Dant no credit
We don't have a skilled big center - Dantoni sucks/we don't play defense

Shelden Williams showing promise - Silences the Ewing lovers who shouted for blood and again Dant gets no credit for playing him

Mosgov started - WTF why is this bum starting
Mosgov turns into bench warmer - WTF he needs to play more

Knicks win - We played great despite Dantoni
Knicks lose - WTF and bring up every single bad thing you can recall about Dantoni
Knicks play great defense - No one mentions anything about Dantoni
Knicks give up lots of points - WTF this coach doesn't teacha any defense

When is this gonna stop? You can blame Dantoni for many things, but you gotta stop blaming him for EVERYTHING.

BTW Ryan Anderson boasts a 19.76 PER. Does that mean every team should be trading for him?

metrocard

Legend
The Knicks are winning. Just like we have seen Williams and Walker emerge why not have faith in D'aantonio that when Randolph is ready he too will play...

**** also remember he is the key to a first round pick right now that we may or may not need. If he gets hurt before the deadline then he is really useless to us. I prefer to have him sit and if he is not traded then Coach can find a spot for him****

we are winning and much better then we all thought we would be....why do we constantly sit here and question the coach.....

Is it just never good enough in NY.....

Winning isn't the final frontier...especially 6th seed.

Whats wrong with finding ways to improve?

If we had a Lakers or Heat roster, and we're number 1 seed? Why do nothing and stay at the 1 seed? We gotta keep improve to stay at the 1 seed because the other 29 teams in the NBA are making moves to improve to compete.

Thats what competition is about, especially staying on top.

Change is great.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
This is what frustrates me. Landry is great because he has an enhanced learning curve....... so isn't it safe the say that AR isn't that great because he has a very slow learning curve?

Let me get this straight...

Felton plays great - Dantoni barely gets credit
Fields plays great -Dantoni gets no credit
Gallo not improving - Dantoni sucks balls
Amare playing great without Nash - Dant no credit
We don't have a skilled big center - Dantoni sucks/we don't play defense

Shelden Williams showing promise - Silences the Ewing lovers who shouted for blood and again Dant gets no credit for playing him

Mosgov started - WTF why is this bum starting
Mosgov turns into bench warmer - WTF he needs to play more

Knicks win - We played great despite Dantoni
Knicks lose - WTF and bring up every single bad thing you can recall about Dantoni
Knicks play great defense - No one mentions anything about Dantoni
Knicks give up lots of points - WTF this coach doesn't teacha any defense

When is this gonna stop? You can blame Dantoni for many things, but you gotta stop blaming him for EVERYTHING.

BTW Ryan Anderson boasts a 19.76 PER. Does that mean every team should be trading for him?

The above sums up many of the people on this forum accurately.

And yes, D'ant should obviously/definitely get credit. That was an easy one.:thumbsup:

skisloper

Starter
Winning isn't the final frontier...especially 6th seed.

Whats wrong with finding ways to improve?

If we had a Lakers or Heat roster, and we're number 1 seed? Why do nothing and stay at the 1 seed? We gotta keep improve to stay at the 1 seed because the other 29 teams in the NBA are making moves to improve to compete.

Thats what competition is about, especially staying on top.

Change is great.

DUDE ...did u learn anything from the past decade....Did u not see Isiah rush for quick fixes...

Be Patient....Of course we ant to improve but lets do it methodically...

Look at Williams coming to shine...NOBODY wanted him at the start of the season...

Patience is a virtue ....

GOD BLESS DONNIE

Good first post, Metro. He should get credit. I think we all knew if he got a pg, and a big, we would improve. But this guy is stubborn as a mule when it comes to players he does not like. Steph, and Randolph namely. I mean, I know the kid looks silly out there sometimes, but he gave Mozgov more burn. A euro-player. Mozgov is better at nothing than Randolph. So to me, D'antoni takes a lil bit of a hit here.

metrocard

Legend
DUDE ...did u learn anything from the past decade....Did u not see Isiah rush for quick fixes...

Be Patient....Of course we ant to improve but lets do it methodically...

Look at Williams coming to shine...NOBODY wanted him at the start of the season...

Patience is a virtue ....

GOD BLESS DONNIE

I never said anything about quick fixes fool, and if theres anyone on this site more against Isiah than me, please show me him.

I'm all for patience.

But sitting down and not wanting to improve everyday will equal failure. Its a pretty simple concept.