All of that being said, there's no incentive for Denver to move Melo right now...they're probably still holding onto the hope of someone maybe renting Melo for the last few months. They might not wait until the deadline, but there's no real reason for them to move him before mid Feb.
Giving them an ultimatum won't work. NJ backed out to save face because they knew they had no chance at convincing the dude to sign the extension for them. Not for the politically correct statement of "it took too long and got too expensive"....please, what he should have said was "we rode that media train to gain some exposure on the back of a man that we knew we had no chance to get...that train reached it's last stop...everyone off."
We can give them a deadline of Tuesday, they can take their time and go past the deadline...contact us in mid-Feburary and propose the same exact deal and we'd take it and Melo would sign. Our situation isn't quite the same as NJs.