Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: Sharing Our Spirituality

  1. #1
    Enlightened OGKnickfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    944
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Sharing Our Spirituality

    'Sup fellas? I am currently working at an institution of higher education, where I have worked, along with many other projects, on encouraging students to discuss their spirituality with one another.

    My goal has been to help students gain an appreciation, or at least respect, for one another's beliefs. At the same time, I am also interested in seeing whether students drop religious values that call for hating others, e.g., LGBT kids, Catholics, agnostics, atheists, etc., many of whom are their peers.

    As part of this work, I have also involved atheist and agnostic students in identifying and sharing their spirituality, which (much to their own surprise) has proven to be just as strong as their peers'.

    In any case, since I found this to be such a successful project in my work, I wanted to see if we, at KOL, could get into this.

    Questions for you ALL===> 1. What do you consider to be the most powerful thing/force/being in the universe (or whatever unit of existence)? 2. How do you relate to it? 3. How do others, in your opinion, misunderstand it?

    EDIT: Feel free to create your own questions or to answer these in whatever way you see fit.


    LOVE!

  2. #2
    KnicksonLIN.com
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,073
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Originally Posted by OGKnickfan
    'Sup fellas? I am currently working at an institution of higher education, where I have worked, along with many other projects, on encouraging students to discuss their spirituality with one another.

    My goal has been to help students gain an appreciation, or at least respect, for one another's beliefs. At the same time, I am also interested in seeing whether students drop religious values that call for hating others, e.g., LGBT kids, Catholics, agnostics, atheists, etc., many of whom are their peers.

    As part of this work, I have also involved atheist and agnostic students in identifying and sharing their spirituality, which (much to their own surprise) has proven to be just as strong as their peers'.

    In any case, since I found this to be such a successful project in my work, I wanted to see if we, at KOL, could get into this.

    Questions for you ALL===> 1. What do you consider to be the most powerful thing/force/being in the universe (or whatever unit of existence)? 2. How do you relate to it? 3. How do others, in your opinion, misunderstand it?

    EDIT: Feel free to create your own questions or to answer these in whatever way you see fit.


    LOVE!
    Good post.

    I don't consider anything specific to be the most powerful thing or force in the Universe, because the Universe is so large that it's difficult to pinpoint at one specific thing.

    However, I was a nominal Catholic for about 3 years, had bible studies and attended book studies with the Jehovah's Witnesses for 5 years, attended Jehovah's Witness meetings for 3 years, became an Atheist for 3 years, and I am currently an Agnostic.

    Currently, I am learning more about nature(humans, animals, and plants).

  3. #3
    Enlightened OGKnickfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    944
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Originally Posted by abcd
    Good post.

    I don't consider anything specific to be the most powerful thing or force in the Universe, because the Universe is so large that it's difficult to pinpoint at one specific thing.

    However, I was a nominal Catholic for about 3 years, had bible studies and attended book studies with the Jehovah's Witnesses for 5 years, attended Jehovah's Witness meetings for 3 years, became an Atheist for 3 years, and I am currently an Agnostic.

    Currently, I am learning more about nature(humans, animals, and plants).
    Thanks for your reply.

    I would simply suggest trying to think about whether there is something that unifies all of these, Catholics, JW's, animals, etc. Do you see anything underlying the superficial existence of these? If so, what is it?

    And how do you relate to these things? Are you an animal, a human, a plant? Are you not one of these?

  4. #4
    Veteran LJ4ptplay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ft. Collins, CO
    Posts
    2,950
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by OGKnickfan
    'Sup fellas? I am currently working at an institution of higher education, where I have worked, along with many other projects, on encouraging students to discuss their spirituality with one another.

    My goal has been to help students gain an appreciation, or at least respect, for one another's beliefs. At the same time, I am also interested in seeing whether students drop religious values that call for hating others, e.g., LGBT kids, Catholics, agnostics, atheists, etc., many of whom are their peers.

    As part of this work, I have also involved atheist and agnostic students in identifying and sharing their spirituality, which (much to their own surprise) has proven to be just as strong as their peers'.

    In any case, since I found this to be such a successful project in my work, I wanted to see if we, at KOL, could get into this.

    Questions for you ALL===> 1. What do you consider to be the most powerful thing/force/being in the universe (or whatever unit of existence)? 2. How do you relate to it? 3. How do others, in your opinion, misunderstand it?

    EDIT: Feel free to create your own questions or to answer these in whatever way you see fit.


    LOVE!
    Great thread OG! I am probably more like abcd, but if I had to pick, right now I would say the most powerful force is gravity. It seems to be the force that drives everything. Creation of blackholes, galaxies, stars, planets and solar systems.

    I hope to contribute to this thread a little more when I have more time as I would also like to hear more from you and abcd.

    Thanks!

  5. #5
    Enlightened OGKnickfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    944
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    Great thread OG! I am probably more like abcd, but if I had to pick, right now I would say the most powerful force is gravity. It seems to be the force that drives everything. Creation of blackholes, galaxies, stars, planets and solar systems.

    I hope to contribute to this thread a little more when I have more time as I would also like to hear more from you and abcd.

    Thanks!
    Thanks, I just wanted to post something positive about spirituality, which, after years of being antagonistic toward, I have found is something worthy of our admiration. When a person's spirituality is real, of course: some people are religious and not necessarily spiritual.

    I was an addiction counselor, working with both drug and sex addicts. I'm currently waiting to present some material on the reality behind addiction: causes, treatment, etc., to students at the college I work at. I will re-post the video links and information here. A lot of it is stuff people have not heard before, as TV programs on the issue exploit addicts for ratings and don't want to delve into the real causes of addiction.

    As for gravity, a few questions. How does it function at the atomic level? And what would happen to us if gravity disappeared in one instance? If there were still consciousness, would that mean something else is more powerful, allowing for that to be possible? Gravity as a part of a greater whole, perhaps? What would that be? Nature? IDK.

    And how do you relate to gravity?

  6. #6
    Veteran Paul1355's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    5,497
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Originally Posted by OGKnickfan
    'Sup fellas? I am currently working at an institution of higher education, where I have worked, along with many other projects, on encouraging students to discuss their spirituality with one another.

    My goal has been to help students gain an appreciation, or at least respect, for one another's beliefs. At the same time, I am also interested in seeing whether students drop religious values that call for hating others, e.g., LGBT kids, Catholics, agnostics, atheists, etc., many of whom are their peers.

    As part of this work, I have also involved atheist and agnostic students in identifying and sharing their spirituality, which (much to their own surprise) has proven to be just as strong as their peers'.

    In any case, since I found this to be such a successful project in my work, I wanted to see if we, at KOL, could get into this.

    Questions for you ALL===> 1. What do you consider to be the most powerful thing/force/being in the universe (or whatever unit of existence)? 2. How do you relate to it? 3. How do others, in your opinion, misunderstand it?

    EDIT: Feel free to create your own questions or to answer these in whatever way you see fit.


    LOVE!
    Im happy you are doing this. Respect of one's beliefs is something that I had a hard time with and something that most people fail to grasp which leads to arguments instead of progress.

    1.)The most powerful thing in the universe is God as the Trinity(God in three functions) Father, Son, Holy Spirit, creator of all existence.

    2.)I relate to it by seeing God as my personal savior who guides my path everyday. Who showed through out history to always show amazing love and care for His creation. But due to constant human rebellion, pride, stubbornness... only certain humans can fully grasp who God really is and what His purpose for that individual is. I am a Christian because of how I saw the Bible, which I believe is God's written word passed down through a chosen few, affect me in this modern age. And MAINLY how the followers of Christ received me and others with unexplainable love and compassion. I can;t even explain how many times I read scripture and then saw events happen in my life that were only answered from this one book. When I deviate away from the Bible, bad things just happen in my life and it is not because of me but my environment and everyone around me. When I stay on course and read God's word, I just KNOW somehow that everything makes sense. I now see the bible in a different light as a believer.

    3.) I personally feel that Christianity is the most mis understood religion of all. Christianity has a horrible reputation with many people because of the corrupt Catholic Church during the dark ages and the Crusades which was NOT BIBLICAL by any means. THe bible states that the unbeliever will never truly understand the word because they can't illuminate the text until they believe(paraphrased). It makes sense, how can you fully understand it if you were never changed by it in anyway? The Bible has so many levels of interpretation that atheists, agnostics, whoever just read a quote, think they know everything, and then blow it off as ridiculous. I think the one thing that people mis understand about Jesus is how amazing His story is. So amazing that you realize no one has ever had a story like this man. Because this man wasn't a man but a God-man. God in the flesh, living a life that was prophesied in texts that were written well before the time period of Jesus. And God loved his creation so much that he allowed His creation to torture him! But He did it to prove to all that He was the Messiah who was, is, and is yet to come. Believing it or not is up to us.

    UNDESERVING LOVE and COMPASSION define my God.

    I DESERVE NONE OF IT BUT HE LOVES ME SO MUCH THAT HE GIVES IT 24/7 FOREVER AS LONG AS I JUST BELIEVE, AND THEN AFTER BELIEVING I TRY TO SPREAD HIS WORD THE BEST I CAN.

    For anyone to laugh at Jesus' story, mock him like the Jews and Romans did when he was being crucified, discredit everything He said is just inhuman. But the amazing thing is that it was all prophesied to happen that way and it still happens today. It has all come true and more is yet to come.

  7. #7
    Enlightened OGKnickfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    944
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Originally Posted by Paul1355
    Im happy you are doing this. Respect of one's beliefs is something that I had a hard time with and something that most people fail to grasp which leads to arguments instead of progress.

    1.)The most powerful thing in the universe is God as the Trinity(God in three functions) Father, Son, Holy Spirit, creator of all existence.

    2.)I relate to it by seeing God as my personal savior who guides my path everyday. Who showed through out history to always show amazing love and care for His creation. But due to constant human rebellion, pride, stubbornness... only certain humans can fully grasp who God really is and what His purpose for that individual is. I am a Christian because of how I saw the Bible, which I believe is God's written word passed down through a chosen few, affect me in this modern age. And MAINLY how the followers of Christ received me and others with unexplainable love and compassion. I can;t even explain how many times I read scripture and then saw events happen in my life that were only answered from this one book. When I deviate away from the Bible, bad things just happen in my life and it is not because of me but my environment and everyone around me. When I stay on course and read God's word, I just KNOW somehow that everything makes sense. I now see the bible in a different light as a believer.

    3.) I personally feel that Christianity is the most mis understood religion of all. Christianity has a horrible reputation with many people because of the corrupt Catholic Church during the dark ages and the Crusades which was NOT BIBLICAL by any means. THe bible states that the unbeliever will never truly understand the word because they can't illuminate the text until they believe(paraphrased). It makes sense, how can you fully understand it if you were never changed by it in anyway? The Bible has so many levels of interpretation that atheists, agnostics, whoever just read a quote, think they know everything, and then blow it off as ridiculous. I think the one thing that people mis understand about Jesus is how amazing His story is. So amazing that you realize no one has ever had a story like this man. Because this man wasn't a man but a God-man. God in the flesh, living a life that was prophesied in texts that were written well before the time period of Jesus. And God loved his creation so much that he allowed His creation to torture him! But He did it to prove to all that He was the Messiah who was, is, and is yet to come. Believing it or not is up to us.

    UNDESERVING LOVE and COMPASSION define my God.

    I DESERVE NONE OF IT BUT HE LOVES ME SO MUCH THAT HE GIVES IT 24/7 FOREVER AS LONG AS I JUST BELIEVE, AND THEN AFTER BELIEVING I TRY TO SPREAD HIS WORD THE BEST I CAN.

    For anyone to laugh at Jesus' story, mock him like the Jews and Romans did when he was being crucified, discredit everything He said is just inhuman. But the amazing thing is that it was all prophesied to happen that way and it still happens today. It has all come true and more is yet to come.
    Thanks for your reply. I wanted to have a spiritual thread up that was positive, not looking to force any one view down anyone's throat and could promote genuine interest in and respect for individuals' spirituality.

    I think Jesus' teachings, when truly understood, can affect a person's life, for the better, greatly. Many people, however, have too much pride, bitterness, hate, or greed to understand his message. Jesus says one should come to him like a little child or never see heaven (I interpret heaven as a state of peace and love, not a place). People can't let go of their baggage and so have trouble becoming innocent (childlike) enough to find him, in my opinion.

    As for #3, and correct me if I misunderstood, I would just suggest being careful not to say that people are too this or that to be illuminated or anything else. Redemption is one of Christ's biggest message, and he redeemed many who were lost, as stated in the gospel.

    I think the fact that people are lost is not about them, as individuals. It is about us, and our failure to understand Jesus, so much so that individuals see completely empty people as models of Christ and his teachings, when they are not, and are turned off.

    And about Catholics, I think that, as the church with the greatest number of members, it has always held great sway in the world and has, as such, been pulled into politics. It is similar, though on a much larger scale, to what has happened with evangelicals in the U.S.

    People are, in general, self-interested and potentially violent (where their community interests are not at stake), no matter what group they belong to. This is why atheist communists have engaged in violence in the Soviet Union and China, with as much fervor as Catholic Christian crusaders, American Protestants and Muslims of all sects, have.

    My belief is that true spirituality is not about these groups, it is about the individual and him or her breaking off his or her self-imposed chains.

  8. #8
    Veteran LeFlume's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Upstate
    Posts
    3,663
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    The Most Powerful thing on earth is FEAR. Every government on earth control their society by fear. For thousends of years. FEAR have ruled every society and still do.

    People needed something. They came up with hope. "The White Man living in the sky" Was created out of fear and got to symbolize hope.

    It's a Yin and Yang thing. Hope/Fear

  9. #9
    Enlightened OGKnickfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    944
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Originally Posted by LeFlume
    The Most Powerful thing on earth is FEAR. Every government on earth control their society by fear. For thousends of years. FEAR have ruled every society and still do.

    People needed something. They came up with hope. "The White Man living in the sky" Was created out of fear and got to symbolize hope.

    It's a Yin and Yang thing. Hope/Fear
    In my opinion, these are certainly what have the most powerful effect on most human beings, creatures, etc., to our detriment, as you have pointed out: social control, hope in things (money, power) that cannot bring us peace.

    However, fear, I would argue, is a dependent, conditional force, as you point out: it needs us, our passed on (from generation to generation) fears and hopes; but we are but a recent presence on this planet. So... although you clearly have a strong argument (socially, in my opinion), do you think that fear and hope goes beyond humans and animals and is thus supreme? If yes, how so?

    I wonder whether we humans can overcome this social force. Do you think fear and hope can be overcome? Have you overcome them?

    About ying and yang, these come from Taoism (a philosophy and religion which I have studied and recommend) and are used to describe the relationship between opposites: e.g., light and dark, which are used in the religion's symbol, as a way to make one think about the opposites, how there can be no light without dark, nor dark without light. They need one another to exist: just like tall and short, far and close, etc. I guess calm and fear would be ying and yang of one another.

    However, although I would not call fear and hope a ying and yang, you have given us a great gift by helping us to see the connection of hope with fear. Most people do not see this connection. Hope usually leads to fear. Having a dream destroyed, from what I have seen, gets to people even more so than losing a physical piece of property. It's the idea of what can be gained that kills, breeds fear [of loss] and obedience.


    Great post. PEACE and LOVE

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    421
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    1) God The Trinity.

    2) I relate to Jesus through Love.

    3) There are many many misconceptions of Christianity with everyone including Christians. Nobody in this world is perfect and nobody can perfectly explain the complexity of this world, the universe, time, etc. That is where faith comes in. I believe people ignore faith because it is a very hard thing to do.

  11. #11
    Enlightened OGKnickfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    944
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Originally Posted by Blas
    1) God The Trinity.

    2) I relate to Jesus through Love.

    3) There are many many misconceptions of Christianity with everyone including Christians. Nobody in this world is perfect and nobody can perfectly explain the complexity of this world, the universe, time, etc. That is where faith comes in. I believe people ignore faith because it is a very hard thing to do.

    Very humble post, reflecting your compassion for people who might not understand your faith.

    I would like to ask you the following, What is the trinity? Could you describe how you relate to Jesus through love? Is it when you show love to those around you? Is it when you show love to Jesus?

    Lastly, since you think it's impossible to discuss "the complexity of this world," as you put it, what do you think we can do to do the best possible job to understand these spiritual complexities?

    Everyone else, follow up on my replies, so we can keep this thing going. If you're new to the thread, answer the opening question, if you would like to participate.

    PEACE

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    421
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Originally Posted by OGKnickfan
    Very humble post, reflecting your compassion for people who might not understand your faith.

    I would like to ask you the following, What is the trinity? Could you describe how you relate to Jesus through love? Is it when you show love to those around you? Is it when you show love to Jesus?

    Lastly, since you think it's impossible to discuss "the complexity of this world," as you put it, what do you think we can do to do the best possible job to understand these spiritual complexities?

    Everyone else, follow up on my replies, so we can keep this thing going. If you're new to the thread, answer the opening question, if you would like to participate.

    PEACE
    I will do my absolute best in answering your questions =). I admit from a scholarly stand point, my answers might be flawed.

    What is the trinity?

    It is the idea that God is one being made up of three equally co-existing beings/persons/spirits/etc: The father, the son (Jesus), and the holy spirit.

    Could you describe how you relate to Jesus through love? Is it when you show love to those around you? Is it when you show love to Jesus?

    This is a very hard question for me to answer. I will not speak for all Christians in this answer, but for myself.

    Simple version of what being a Christian means to me:

    1) I am flawed and I cannot be perfect on my own merits.
    2) I have to depend on Jesus to be perfect.
    3) Everything good and perfect including anything I have accomplished or had success with is due to Jesus. All glory goes there.
    4) There is no such thing as a good Christian or a bad Christian, there is just Christian. Everyone will make mistakes and it is through God we learn and grow from those mistakes. People do not just turn 180 degrees. Meaning, let's say you want stop using drugs. Most people just do not go cold turkey and succeed.
    5) If you claim to be a Christian that is between you and God, I can only judge your acts but not your intentions or character.
    6) I am a hypocrite [added this with last edit].

    Based off that:

    Jesus is love. Meaning if you believe in love then you believe in Jesus. If you believe in Jesus then you believe in love. This also means Love is perfect.

    I believe Jesus came to the earth as a man and the son of God; however, I do not view Jesus in such a tangible way. People who have never heard of Jesus can still believe in him, and that is through love.

    Love is explained in Corinthians 13 (This is the NIV translation):

    1 If I speak in the tongues[a] of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast,[b] but do not have love, I gain nothing.

    4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

    8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

    13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.


    The above, from a human perspective is unrealistic to accomplish because you have to apply this to everyone even those who have hurt you badly. My answer to accomplish the above: Love is a choice in the end. I choose to love everyone, not just feel it. Just like I choose to have faith in God and put my life in God's hands. I cannot fully understand Love/God, but I can choose to take these paths.

    When I show people love I show people Jesus.

    I apologize for the explanation, this the best I could do =/. In no way do I want to force this viewpoint on anyone, this is just what I believe. If I were to force this view then it wouldn't be love =).

    Lastly, since you think it's impossible to discuss "the complexity of this world," as you put it, what do you think we can do to do the best possible job to understand these spiritual complexities?

    Another tough thoughtful question =). I am not sure if I have a good answer to it, but here is an answer:

    An individual needs to come to their own conclusions, explanations, and decisions.

    A society needs to share and respect their individual conclusions, explanations, and decisions.

    This relationship (the two above statements) are cyclical. They depend on each other.

    This is the best way I believe to understand things.

    Just because I have my own answers does not mean I cannot learn more or even change the way I view things. It would also be an injustice if I do not share these things when asked. This is how I grow.
    Last edited by Blas; Feb 03, 2011 at 14:36.

  13. #13
    Enlightened OGKnickfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    944
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Originally Posted by Blas
    I will do my absolute best in answering your questions =). I admit from a scholarly stand point, my answers might be flawed.

    What is the trinity?

    It is the idea that God is one being made up of three equally co-existing beings/persons/spirits/etc: The father, the son (Jesus), and the holy spirit.

    Could you describe how you relate to Jesus through love? Is it when you show love to those around you? Is it when you show love to Jesus?

    This is a very hard question for me to answer. I will not speak for all Christians in this answer, but for myself.

    Simple version of what being a Christian means to me:

    1) I am flawed and I cannot be perfect on my own merits.
    2) I have to depend on Jesus to be perfect.
    3) Everything good and perfect including anything I have accomplished or had success with is due to Jesus. All glory goes there.
    4) There is no such thing as a good Christian or a bad Christian, there is just Christian. Everyone will make mistakes and it is through God we learn and grow from those mistakes. People do not just turn 180 degrees. Meaning, let's say you want stop using drugs. Most people just do not go cold turkey and succeed.
    5) If you claim to be a Christian that is between you and God, I can only judge your acts but not your intentions or character.
    6) I am a hypocrite [added this with last edit].

    Based off that:

    Jesus is love. Meaning if you believe in love then you believe in Jesus. If you believe in Jesus then you believe in love. This also means Love is perfect.

    I believe Jesus came to the earth as a man and the son of God; however, I do not view Jesus in such a tangible way. People who have never heard of Jesus can still believe in him, and that is through love.

    Love is explained in Corinthians 13 (This is the NIV translation):

    1 If I speak in the tongues[a] of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

    4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

    8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

    13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

    The above, from a human perspective is unrealistic to accomplish because you have to apply this to everyone even those who have hurt you badly. My answer to accomplish the above: Love is a choice in the end. I choose to love everyone, not just feel it. Just like I choose to have faith in God and put my life in God's hands. I cannot fully understand Love/God, but I can choose to take these paths.

    When I show people love I show people Jesus.

    I apologize for the explanation, this the best I could do =/. In no way do I want to force this viewpoint on anyone, this is just what I believe. If I were to force this view then it wouldn't be love =).

    [b]Lastly, since you think it's impossible to discuss "the complexity of this world," as you put it, what do you think we can do to do the best possible job to understand these spiritual complexities?

    Another tough thoughtful question =). I am not sure if I have a good answer to it, but here is an answer:

    An individual needs to come to their own conclusions, explanations, and decisions.

    A society needs to share and respect their individual conclusions, explanations, and decisions.

    This relationship (the two above statements) are cyclical. They depend on each other.

    This is the best way I believe to understand things.

    Just because I have my own answers does not mean I cannot learn more or even change the way I view things. It would also be an injustice if I do not share these things when asked. This is how I grow.
    This thread was for people to share their spirituality, in whatever way they would like to. There are no right or wrong answers; and I wish people, other than me, would reply to posts; but, for now, it is what it is.

    About your post, I am sure that most people who read your answer will respect and appreciate how heart-felt it is. I do not think you come off as forcing your point of view on others or proselytizing. You come off as loving and considerate, as well as humble (not trying to present yourself as all-knowing).

    It is especially refreshing to read how expansive and inclusive your view of the divine is. It would be a better world, if people got off of the titles and names and let the spirituality flow.

    I also enjoyed your post on sharing our points of view, with respect for one another. This was, in part, the point of this thread.

    One other question, though. You stated that Jesus is love and love is Jesus. However, many of us don't know what love is, confusing it with other feelings, etc. How, then, in your opinion, do we know whether we really know love or Jesus? If we do not, how do we find love/the divine?

    Thanks.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    421
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    I appreciate your replies and your questions, even now I'm learning more answering them =). It feels really good. Thank You.

    Originally Posted by OGKnickfan

    One other question, though. You stated that Jesus is love and love is Jesus. However, many of us don't know what love is, confusing it with other feelings, etc. How, then, in your opinion, do we know whether we really know love or Jesus? If we do not, how do we find love/the divine?

    Thanks.
    For the first part of the question: I think the answer is different for every individual if they know love/Jesus. But it is the same for everyone, that through our actions we can show people that we do know it.

    The second part: I think love is everywhere around us. We just have to look around and we will find it. It is as simple as seeing someone helping someone cross the street. That is love to me.
    Last edited by Blas; Feb 04, 2011 at 10:04.

  15. #15
    Enlightened OGKnickfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    944
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Originally Posted by Blas
    I appreciate your replies and your questions, even now I'm learning more answering them =). It feels really good. Thank You.



    For the first part of the question: I think the answer is different for every individual if they know love/Jesus. But it is the same for everyone, that through our actions we can show people that we do know it.

    The second part: I think love is everywhere around us. We just have to look around and we will find it. It is as simple as seeing someone helping someone cross the street. That is love to me.
    Great post. You definitely have an understanding of Jesus' message, which manifests itself in expressions love, the spirit of the Gospels and Epistles, not just quoting scripture in a self-serving manner [as many of us do].

    When I asked you about love, it was because many of us practice conditional love; so, how can such a one find God, the divine, whatever one wants to call it, when they would have it bounded to their conditions?

    I believe your posts on unconditional, undefined love point us to the key. Love, undefined and given to all, from the "least to the greatest," allows us to experience God in the spirit and not in words that we may or may not understand and are ultimately mere ink and paper.

Similar Threads

  1. Christianity in 30 Seconds
    By KnicksFan4Realz in forum Hangout
    Replies: 425
    Last Post: Sep 19, 2008, 17:15

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •