Knicks @ Thunder - Sat Jan 22

Ewing33Swisher

Benchwarmer
single plays or people can win games but not lose them
It's all coaching. Felton missed 5 shots the last 3 minutes. He missed 3 alone in the last 40 seconds. MD cannot adjust. His system is based on putting the ball in the PG's hands and hope he hits a shot or makes a play. Felton has been shooting under 30 percent since the POR game.

You would think MD would design one play to get Gallo, Walker, Williams, Douglas, STAT an open look. He had 2 timeouts to do it. One was an extended timeout. he doesn't have the smarts to draw up a play on the fly (taking into account the opponent and flow of the game). He is all theory.

So, his only option was to give the ball to Felton and hope for the best.

This is why I get confused when people say MD is an offensive genius. Any coach worth anything can design a play to get somebody and open look, especially if given 2 tries.

KingofNy

Starter
Chandler's got to stop being such a tease. If he plays to his abilities tonight, we win this. STAT needs real help, not all of this inconsistent BS.

Did you see us on the boards tonight? We chuck up like 35 3 pointers and every damn time there's not 1 Knick under the basket and when the rebound comes long (which is most of the time), our players just sit there and let the opposing team get the rebound or even worse just turn around and run up the court. Knicks fans need to start getting on the organization and stop settling for this crappy play. DISGUSTING!!!

Why Gallo doesn't even get one shot after drilling that big 3 to put us up 6? He only got one pass in like the final eight minutes. It's like we don't even look for him. Instead down the stretch you have Amare and Felton forcing bad shots instead of playing team basketball and looking to play inside out, or drive and kick. When those guys go inside, they're always double or triple teamed, meaning Gallo, Williams, or Fields is likely wide-open behind the arc. That's a much better shot than some of the ridiculous shots those two were putting up. Frustrating, no?

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
I had no doubt... if this game was close down the stretch... that Westbrook and Durant would win this game. There was no way we were winning the game after STAT had a chance to put us up 8 with 5:50 to play. After Gallo made that 3, and we got the ball back, after the refs failed to call the foul on Collison... It was over.

Momentum swung and you knew Durant-Westbrook would score every trip, and you knew there was no way we would keep scoring. With 3:50 top play I said we needed 4 baskets to win. We got 2 down the stretch (missed 5 shots). OKC scored with every remianing possession.

Nothing matters now. Knicks will finsh with a 6-8 seed and get ousted (probably swept) in the first round). Big deal.

Bro we lost the game on last sec fall-away 3 from a great player.

What do u mean there was no way we'd win?? To me, we had a GOOD chance to win if we had PG w enough sense to get the ball to our two best scorers in the game.Smh.

We lost the game on the offensive glass tnite. Too many second opportunities for OKC..

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Felton

I agree with Knicksfancesince92 and some others who question Felton's insistence on being the hero. In the last couple of minutes of the game, Felton woul not let any one else play.

He started the game distributing the ball beautifully, and not just to Amare. He had six assists before halftime. I think he got only one or two therafter. He was five for sixteen for the game.

In last night's game televised nationally on ESPN, there was a clip of an interview with Felton. He stated how he was never afraid to take the last shot, even if he had not been shooting well. I recall my concern over that comment.

Felton has shot miserably over the last several games, but today his hogging the ball really ticked me off. The media has been giving him too much credit and he is starting to believe it. He lost tonight's game.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Why Gallo doesn't even get one shot after drilling that big 3 to put us up 6? He only got one pass in like the final eight minutes. It's like we don't even look for him. Instead down the stretch you have Amare and Felton forcing bad shots instead of playing team basketball and looking to play inside out, or drive and kick. When those guys go inside, they're always double or triple teamed, meaning Gallo, Williams, or Fields is likely wide-open behind the arc. That's a much better shot than some of the ridiculous shots those two were putting up. Frustrating, no?
It's like D'Antoni knows Gallo has been inconsistent a while, but doesn't want to show it by starting him, buuuuuuuut he doesn't make a play for him when he's having a good game. Doesn't make sense. Gallo has played bad offensively many games, but when he's having a good offensive game, I know it's time to give him the ball.

mafra

Legend

Coming into tonight, Felton is shooting 36% in January. 58-158. He was terrible in the first half. So, of course, with 2 possessions in the last 40 seconds following timeouts... coach puts the ball in RF's hands?

The sad reality is MD is consdered an offensive coach. We know he likes to play small ball and defense isn't a concern. Well, in this case, you better be a freaking genuis when it comes to offense.

The very fact he couldn't design a play to move the ball around and find a mismatch or an open look... This is what's disturbing. Most coaches I see in the NBA have this talent to expose a weakness and get a good look off a timeout.

Heck, even OKC was smart enough to know to get Durant the ball and let him do his thing.

It's just pure misery to have to root for the Knicks with Dolan as our owner... We can't do anything about that. BUt to compound that pain with D'antoni is almost unbearable.

mafra

Legend
Bro we lost the game on last sec fall-away 3 from a great player.

What do u mean there was no way we'd win?? To me, we had a GOOD chance to win if we had PG w enough sense to get the ball to our two best scorers in the game.Smh.

We lost the game on the offensive glass tnite. Too many second opportunities for OKC..

Dude. You're crazy if you didn't see the writing on the wall. Durant made shot after shot the last few minutes. We scored 4 points the final 4 minutes.

Off a timeout OKC put ball in KD's hands. Our coach asked RF to win the game (and he's shooting 36% in Jan).

It was not an accident what happened, the outcome wasn't b/c of a miracle shot.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Coming into tonight, Felton is shooting 36% in January. 58-158. He was terrible in the first half. So, of course, with 2 possessions in the last 40 seconds following timeouts... coach puts the ball in RF's hands?

The sad reality is MD is consdered an offensive coach. We know he likes to play small ball and defense isn't a concern. Well, in this case, you better be a freaking genuis when it comes to offense.

The very fact he couldn't design a play to move the ball around and find a mismatch or an open look... This is what's disturbing. Most coaches I see in the NBA have this talent to expose a weakness and get a good look off a timeout.
Another example of Steve Nash growing someone's salary.

KingofNy

Starter
I had no doubt... if this game was close down the stretch... that Westbrook and Durant would win this game. There was no way we were winning the game after STAT had a chance to put us up 8 with 5:50 to play. After Gallo made that 3, and we got the ball back, after the refs failed to call the foul on Collison... It was over.

Momentum swung and you knew Durant-Westbrook would score every trip, and you knew there was no way we would keep scoring. With 3:50 top play I said we needed 4 baskets to win. We got 2 down the stretch (missed 5 shots). OKC scored with every remianing possession.

Nothing matters now. Knicks will finsh with a 6-8 seed and get ousted (probably swept) in the first round). Big deal.

Playoffs?.... Playoffs? We'll be lucky to make them playing like this.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I agree that Felton is taking WAY too many shots.

Frankly, I've been wondering that for a while but it never really came up because we were still WINNING due to Amar'e's domination.

But now that our team is in a slump we need to play SMART to win.

Imagine if Felton had only taken 10 shots and the other six possessions he got the ball to Amar'e and Gallo instead of shooting. If Amar'e and Gallo each make one shot, that's the difference in the game right there.

Someone needs to talk to Felton and get him to take fewer shots. Steve Nash has averaged 10.8 field goal attempts per game. Felton is not a better shooter than Steve Nash. Felton has better players on his team around him than Steve Nash. Felton should not be taking more shots than Steve Nash, a man who is arguably the best shooter in the game.

Conclusion: Felton needs to shoot less.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Dude. You're crazy if you didn't see the writing on the wall. Durant made shot after shot the last few minutes. We scored 4 points the final 4 minutes.

Off a timeout OKC put ball in KD's hands. Our coach asked RF to win the game (and he's shooting 36% in Jan).

Well I guess i'm crazy then cause that was a winable game up until Felton's foolishness.

The writing was on the wall from the 5:50 mark ay?

Not in my book.. Not by a long shot, no pun intended..

KingofNy

Starter

We switched up our entire gameplan with 4 minutes left in the game. We are a run and gun team and D'Antoni slowed us down into a half-court game and like always we failed to finish the close game. Whenever we try to run the clock down we always force up bad shots or turn the ball over. Seriously. Felton will hold the ball until there is 9 seconds left and then try to run a pick and roll and after that fails he normally chucks up a garbage shot just like he did at the end of the game. I hate D'Antoni!

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound

Frankly, I've been wondering that for a while but it never really came up because we were still WINNING due to Amar'e's domination.

Imagine if Felton had only taken 10 shots and the other six possessions he got the ball to Amar'e and Gallo instead of shooting. If Amar'e and Gallo each make one shot, that's the difference in the game right there.

Someone needs to talk to Felton and get him to take fewer shots. Steve Nash has averaged 10.8 field goal attempts per game. Felton is not a better shooter than Steve Nash. Felton has better players on his team around him than Steve Nash. Felton should not be taking more shots than Steve Nash, a man who is arguably the best shooter in the game.

Perfect post..

mafra

Legend
Well I guess i'm crazy then cause that was a winable game up until Felton's foolishness.

The writing was on the wall from the 5:50 mark ay?

Not in my book.. Not by a long shot, no pun intended..

I posted it with 3:50 to play. I said we needed 4 more buckets. We got 2. We lost b/c Felton missed 3 shots the final 40 seconds, not b/c Durant made the last second shot (he did it to us at MSG last year).

I also posted with 8 minutes left that the team put us in position to win. It was up to Felton-Stat to finish. Felton-Stat had to close it out, or (as I posted) Westbrook-Durant would. We play no defense, so it was clear as day that those 2 would score points down the stretch.

We lost b/c STAT-FELTON scored 28 points on 34 shots. We lost this game b/c MD had nothing but tumbleweeds and turns on his mind when we needed him to design a play. After Felton clanked that 3 (off another timeout), coach should have demanded that RF not shot under any circumstance. Design a play and get Gallo a shot.

Gallo was the reason we had a chance to win this game. LET HIM lose or win it.

This is why I'm not even sure getting Carmelo is worth anything. MD doesn't know how to adjust or do aomething different on offense. He wants to play small, space the floor and let the PG dribble around and make all the decisions on iso or p-&-r plays.

What a waste it would be to have Carmelo waiting on the wings hoping the PG passes him the ball every now and then.

Wargames

Starter

basically dude was doing ok assist wise then he just lost it in the end and cost us the game. I mean I am pretty sure he ran the clock out way to much then tried to pull a Jordan two step fadeaway on that last play..... who told him he was Jordan??

I still think he is a good PG but ever since he got the triple double he is not only trying to pass but be the second scoring option on the team. Gallo had a great game today. This game also makes it official I believe the that Chandler and Fields are probably reacting bad to the trade rumors that all seem to include him.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
I posted it with 3:50 to play. I said we needed 4 more buckets. We got 2. We lost b/c Felton missed 3 shots the final 40 seconds, not b/c Durant made the last second shot (he did it to us at MSG last year).

I also posted with 8 minutes left that the team put us in position to win. It was up to Felton-Stat to finish. Felton-Stat had to close it out, or (as I posted) Westbrook-Durant would. We play no defense, so it was clear as day that those 2 would score points down the stretch.

We lost b/c STAT-FELTON scored 28 points on 34 shots. We lost this game b/c MD had nothing but tumbleweeds and turns on his mind when we needed him to design a play. After Felton clanked that 3 (off another timeout), coach should have demanded that RF not shot under any circumstance. Design a play and get Gallo a shot.

Gallo was the reason we had a chance to win this game. LET HIM lose or win it.

This is why I'm not even sure getting Carmelo is worth anything. MD doesn't know how to adjust or do aomething different on offense. He wants to play small, space the floor and let the PG dribble around and make all the decisions on iso or p-&-r plays.

What a waste it would be to have Carmelo waiting on the wings hoping the PG passes him the ball every now and then.

Ok ok brah.. Your crystal ball was working well tnite. I get it. You predicted the loss. Great.

The bottom line, despite your apparent clarvoyance, is that we had a good chance to win up until Felton botched this one.

I had confidence the team could pull this one out inspite of the all powerful writing on the wall you speak of..

Can't see why I should be faulted for that.

mafra

Legend
Ok ok brah.. Your crystal ball was working well tnite. I get it. You predicted the loss. Great.

The bottom line, despite your apparent clarvoyance, is that we had a good chance to win up until Felton botched this one.

I had confidence the team could pull this one out inspite of the all powerful writing on the wall you speak of..

Can't see why I should be faulted for that.

it's just that you believe D'antoni can win in the NBA, and it drives some of us nuts. MD may know how to win in Europe but he'll never win in the NBA.

Tonight he couldn't even win with offense. We lost b/c coach sat there and watched Felton implode, b/c that's the only offense MD is capable of.

You think Larry Brown lets that happen?

Not a knock on you, I'm just tired of MD. We all agreed he got a pass the last 2 years b/c the position Walsh put him in. but he will be judged on this season... and right now... despite having an MVP candidate... The Knicks are 22-21, and will most likely be under .500 after we play DAL (2-04).