View Poll Results: Which out of these star studded lineups, is the best?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Magic Johnson, kareem abdul Jabbar, James Worthy, Kurt Rambis

    7 46.67%
  • Larry Bird, Kevin McHale, Robert Parish, Bill Walton

    1 6.67%
  • Michael Jordon, Scottie Pippen, Horace Grant, John Paxon

    7 46.67%
  • Shaquille O'Neal, Kobe Bryant, Robert Horry

    0 0%
  • Kobe Bryant, Pau Gasol, Lamar Odom, Derek Fisher

    0 0%
  • Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen, Rajo Rondo

    0 0%
  • LeBron James, James Wade, Chris Bosh

    0 0%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 52

Thread: Is the Knicks plan the right plan for the future?

  1. #1
    Knicks Guru hometheaterguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,017
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Is the Knicks plan the right plan for the future?

    As the season has progressed and I have had a chance to really watch STAT, Felton and the rest of the team get to know each other and start to play their game, I'm not sure the "plan" is the really going to be as successful as we think or hope.
    It has become sheik to have multiple "stars" on a team to edge out your opponents but just putting stars together doesn't necessarily mean you will have a recipe for success!
    Let's look at why Boston, L.A. and Miami look so strong with their star studded teams and why N.Y. will fail if they follow suit with their current targeted players.
    Miami:
    Miami was able to put together 3 players that compliment each other because not only are they stars at their position they are not 1 dimensional players. Out of these 3 they have an anchor in James.
    King James - James, in my book is a clone of Magic Johnson. I know people like to compare him to Jordan but James is far more diverse than Jordan ever was. Like Johnson, James has phenomenal court vision and precision passing to compliment his dominance at his position. James, like Magic, is able to play multiple positions and dominate at them. In my time, Magic Johnson was the greatest player I have ever seen step foot on the court... And yes, better than Jordan all though Jordan was the most dominate position player I have ever seen. James is inching his way into the Magic Johnson stratosphere. While Wade, like Jordan, is a dominate position player. Wade is not at Jordan's level but if Jordan was an A++ player, Wade is a strong A. Like Jordan, Wade is an incredible finisher and can find his shot anywhere on the court. especially in crunch time. For the record, Jordon was a better passer than Wade but Wade has drastically improved his passing over the years. And finally Bosh... Bosh is not at the level of the other 2 but he is a solid shooting, versatile big man. While he is not the dominate player at his position, he is in the top 5; but more importantly is a perfect compliment to the other 2 on the court. He can distribute the ball like Wade and James and most of all, he is a TEAM player. That is the key to the success of the big three for Miami; they compliment each other, understand their roles and can work within a team concept.
    Same can be said for L.A. and Boston... All these teams have players that, while dominate at their position(s), they can play along side other stars and blend their games together to form an alliance and create a massive force.

    So, the Knicks feel in order to win they have to have 2-3 stars on the team. OK, maybe so but will they be able to blend together to create a single dominant entity?
    STAT, Melo and C3PO.... I say a resounding NO! The problem with this threesome is that they are exactly the same identical player in different bodies; nothing in their games that compliments or enhances the other guy. I can understand the lure of the three but when you really think about it, does their games blend together? Is the court big enough for them? All 3 players are at their best when they have the ball in their hands, creating their own shot and only distributing the ball when they feel like their is no other option, even though they will still try to get their shot when they are double and triple teamed.
    STAT is a dominate position player, Melo and Paul is as well but they are also dominate scorers that shoot first, second, third then maybe looks to pass... The exception is Paul, he will shoot first and second then pass.... Maybe the Tandem of STAT and Paul might be a fit but I just don't see these 3 guys blending together and forming the cohesion that James, Wade and Bosh Or Kobe and Gasol or Pierce, Garnett and Allen has...
    Do you?
    Last edited by hometheaterguy; Jan 23, 2011 at 08:15.

  2. #2
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,845
    Rep Power
    12

    Default



    Nothing about Cp3, Amare, Melo compliments each other? Same player in different bodies? Wade and Lebron as perfect compliments to one another?

    I'm stunned. Maybe I'm just tired from being up since 7 w my puppy, but...W.T.F.

    Cp3 is the ultimate passing facilitator w vision, as well as potent outside shooting and efficiency and defence. Makes everyone better and orchestrates to bring out the best of everyone.

    Amare is the ultimate inside force you can feed to, commanding 2x teams, ice games from the inside, but still w a good enough mid range shot to punish, especially if there is a second scorer who can penetrate and wreck some havoc himself.

    Melo is the ultimate versatile scorer, who can create a shot at will and ice games from the outside. Command 2x teams.

    Jesus, lol. We likely won't get all three but itd be by far the best trio, n best team in the leauge.

    If we get one of the two we'll likely be bigtime contenders next year w a couple shrewd moves.

    Unreal thread!

  3. #3
    Knicks Guru hometheaterguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,017
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Originally Posted by iSaYughh


    Nothing about Cp3, Amare, Melo compliments each other? Same player in different bodies? Wade and Lebron as perfect compliments to one another?

    I'm stunned. Maybe I'm just tired from being up since 7 w my puppy, but...W.T.F.

    Cp3 is the ultimate passing facilitator w vision, as well as potent outside shooting and efficiency and defence. Makes everyone better and orchestrates to bring out the best of everyone.

    Amare is the ultimate inside force you can feed to, commanding 2x teams, ice games from the inside, but still w a good enough mid range shot to punish, especially if there is a second scorer who can penetrate and wreck some havoc himself.

    Melo is the ultimate versatile scorer, who can create a shot at will and ice games from the outside. Command 2x teams.

    Jesus, lol. We likely won't get all three but itd be by far the best trio, n best team in the leauge.

    If we get one of the two we'll likely be bigtime contenders next year w a couple shrewd moves.

    Unreal thread!
    STAT is a dominate big man that can make his own shot. Now, this stage in his career he is starting to pass the ball more but he still forces shots. STAT isn't a great defender but his athletic ability affords him the ability too make up for that deficiency in blocked shots and rebounding.
    I have been watching Melo and Paul on my NBA subscription and Melo is a selfish player! He holds onto the ball way too much but it's ok since he is a dominate scorer. He doesn't play any defense but but can rip down some boards. Paul, again is a dominate scorer at his position. Out of the 3 he is the best floor general. He does have superior passing skills but they usually take a back seat to his scoring prowess. Have you watched these guys play regularly?
    Like I said, STAT and Paul might be the best option with some very good position players surrounding them. But STAT and MELO have the same exact game... They have the same inclinations and instincts.
    Miami's 3 are all versatile players that are equally in their comfort zone scoring, defending and passing.
    That's the other key as well... Boston, Miami, LA all play DEFENSE!!!! Their guys are capable of defending their positions.... We try to out score our opponents; hence Chandler's and Felton's numbers are bloated...
    Listen, it would be exciting to see these 3 guys on the team but in the end, I don't think they would be able to beat Miami, Boston or LA. Also as of today... Boston is aging and they are at the crest....

  4. #4
    Fundamentally Sound ronoranina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,758
    Rep Power
    11

    Question Mark

    First you say Magic was better than Jordan which I
    had to shake my head at.. Magic was more versatile, but he wasn't better. Jordan ultimately was the more complete player even as a scorer because he was the better defender, athelete and he was the greatest, most creative dominant scorer in history. Jordan could also facilitate extremely well. He's better than everybody my dude..

    Then you have the audacity to say CP3 wouldn't compliment Melo and Amare. Bro CP3 as a great true PG is the ultimate complimentary player. If we got him to go along w the other two, he would be the fuel that would keep the thing running on all cylinders. It would be unbelievable to have CP3 to go along w Melo and Amare and we absolutely would be on par, if not better than the elite teams.

    The reason why great players can often make it work on the same team, is because they have a way of taking heat off of one another that helps them to form a bond/ trust relationship because they know the can count on each other. It's not like playing w roleplayer in this regard. Jordan had it w Pippen. Magic had it w Worthy and Kareem. Stockton w Malone, etc..The big three and Miami are developing this bond.

    When judging how the dynamic will work between players of a high caliber this is the factor often overlooked. Great players find ways to compliment other great players easiest because there's more flexibility due to the fact they can do more and because they can do what they do better than most players. Our big three, should it come to pass, would own in unreal fashion for this reason alone.

    The biggest reason Melo would compliment Amare well is because he would "take heat" off as teams couldn't double him nearly as often. This would free Amare up, which we know he would luv because he's unguardable 1:1. He would feast. Melo would have the same luxury. Both players would be liberated to dominate at their positions. Then you throw CP3 in the mix and things get scary to teams as you can't shut the lane down cause almost all of the defenders have to stay at home. Add in p & r dominance 'tween Amare and Paul and it would just be insane. We're talking dynasty here bro. We'd be on that level.

    HTG you might have gone to far w this one. There are some real probs in the original post.. Teams have been lumping stars together only since forever.. Our Championship Knicks team had Clyde, Monroe, Reed.. Common dude.

    I can't get over what you said about CP3.. One dimensional whoa.

    For my last point, I'll just beg the question:

    It you can't put stars together, who can you put together?
    Last edited by ronoranina; Jan 23, 2011 at 17:08.

  5. #5
    Evacuee Crazy⑧s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    6,488
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Disgustingly, I voted Bulls.

    6 chips to the Lakers 5. Rodman deserves a mention as an alternate option. Big part of 72-10 season.

    Aside from this, I agree with very little on this thread, but each to their own.

  6. #6
    Knicks Guru hometheaterguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,017
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Originally Posted by ronoranina
    First you say Magic was better than Jordan which I
    had to shake my head at.. Magic was more versatile, but he wasn't better. Jordan ultimately was the more complete player even as a scorer because he was the better defender, athelete and he was the greatest, most creative dominant scorer in history. Jordan could also facilitate extremely well. He's better than everybody my dude..

    Then you have the audacity to say CP3 wouldn't compliment Melo and Amare. Bro CP3 as a great true PG is the ultimate complimentary player. If we got him to go along w the other two, he would be the fuel that would keep the thing running on all cylinders. It would be unbelievable to have CP3 to go along w Melo and Amare and we absolutely would be on par, if not better than the elite teams.

    The reason why great players can often make it work on the same team, is because they have a way of taking heat off of one another that helps them to form a bond/ trust relationship because they know the can count on one another. It's not like pilaying w roleplayer in this regard. Jordan had it w Pippen. Magic had it w Worthy and Kareem. Stockton w Malone, etc..The big three and Miami are developing this bond.

    When judging how the dynamic will work between players of a high caliber this is the factor often overlooked. Great players find ways to compliment other great players easiest because there's more flexibility due to the fact they can do more and because they can do what they do better than most players. Our big three, should it come to pass, would own in unreal fashion for this reason alone.

    The biggest reason Melo would compliment Amare well is because he would "take heat" off as teams couldn't double him nearly as often. This would free Amare up to go one on one, which we know he would luv because he's unguardable 1:1. He would feast. Melo would have the same luxury. Both players would be liberated to dominate at their positions. Then you throw CP3 in the mix and things get scary to teams because then you can't shut the lane down cause almost everybody has to stay at home. Add in p & r dominance 'tween Amare and Paul and it would just be insane. We're talking dynasty here bro. We'd be on that level.

    HTG you might have gone to far w this one. There are some real probs in the original post.. Teams have been lumping stars together only since forever.. Our Championship Knicks team had Clyde, Monroe, Reed.. Common dude.

    I can't get over what you said about CP3.. One dimensional whoa.

    For my last point, I'll just beg the question:

    It you can't put stars together, who can you put together?


    OK, a couple of things..
    1) Magic Johnson was the greatest player I have seen with my own eyes walk onto the court... PERIOD! I watched this 6' 9" player dominate at the 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5!!! Magic Johnson could do everything and everything he did was phenomenal. Did you watch him play? Imagine if he didn't get sick!! He still had many years left in him and HIV cut his career short... God knows what his stats would have been or how many more championships he would of helped the Lakers win.
    2) Yes, Jordan was a game changer. He changed the guard position and like Johnson forced teams to change their defense solely based on their games. I'm not going to go tit for tat with you on this since it is like splitting hairs then trying to split them again but for my money... Magic was #1 and Jordan 1a... What I see with James, if he stays on course, he will be 1aa.. I mean these will be the upper layer of the upper stratosphere of elite players.
    Now my Dad would say that Wilt Chamberlain was the greatest player he ever saw with Magic and Jordan tied for second...

    OK, now for your other comments:
    Paul and STAT is the best tandem you can put together... I said that Paul was a superior distributor but the games I watch with him, he is the dominate scorer..
    Look at John Paxon for example or even Nash... Paxon was fundamentally sound, was a great pure shooter and next to Magic Johnson, had the best court vision I have ever seen at the 1. He was a quarterback! He understood the game he played in, he knew the team format and he understood the floor. He made Malone the legend he became.

    Look, I know how good Melo is and how good Paul is, I'm just saying that their games are too similar to blend well, night in and out. I would rather the Knicks go after Paul, match him up with STAT and try to find very good position players to round out the roster...
    I know you are going to blast me on this but I would love the Knicks to put Odom next to STAT.. He is the type of player that would compliment STAT. He can defend, he can distribute and score.... He would not demand the ball from STAT, but help to facilitate STAT. I think we need a consistent 3 point/long range shooter flanking for the kick out... We also need solid guys... Like Fields that is just a solid, smart, well rounded player!
    What will help to "bleed off" the pressure from STAT is consistent outside shooting! Yes, a team needs other players too step up when someone is having an off game. But Boston and Miami are successful because their players PERFECTLY compliment each other.. Remember when they tried to bring in Wallace? He did not blend well at all because he is a selfish egotistical player. He was great with the Piston because he WAS the man! He had great position players surrounding him and the Pistons showed you just how far a well rounded, well coached team can go!

  7. #7
    Fundamentally Sound ronoranina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,758
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Originally Posted by hometheaterguy
    OK, a couple of things..
    1) Magic Johnson was the greatest player I have seen with my own eyes walk onto the court... PERIOD! I watched this 6' 9" player dominate at the 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5!!! Magic Johnson could do everything and everything he did was phenomenal. Did you watch him play? Imagine if he didn't get sick!! He still had many years left in him and HIV cut his career short... God knows what his stats would have been or how many more championships he would of helped the Lakers win.

    2) Yes, Jordan was a game changer. He changed the guard position and like Johnson forced teams to change their defense solely based on their games. I'm not going to go tit for tat with you on this since it is like splitting hairs then trying to split them again but for my money... Magic was #1 and Jordan 1a... What I see with James, if he stays on course, he will be 1aa.. I mean these will be the upper layer of the upper stratosphere of elite players.
    Now my Dad would say that Wilt Chamberlain was the greatest player he ever saw with Magic and Jordan tied for second...

    @ 1& 2

    My dude, Magic had Kareem, arguably the best if not top 3 centers ever, and Worthy. Jordan had Pippen, Horace grant is not on their level. If Jordan had Kareem, Worthy, Perkins he might have had like 9 titles. Magic, in the 80's, had better teams them Michael could ever dream of having. MJ won more w less. That's one reason why I consider him to be the better player. Other than Pippen, Michael had an aging Bill Cartwright, a very good spot up shooter John Paxon and the aforementioned Grant. This formula was repeated over the course of Michael's career and he ultimately won more titles (6 to 5)than Magic.

    Couple the above w Michael's astounding numbers and you can really see why many consider him the best of all time; a 30 ppg scoring average over the course of his career while shooting around 50% (unbelievable, freakish efficiency), averaging 5 reb and 5 assists while keeping to's low. His body of work is just perfection personified. He is above Magic. That is the consensus in most intelligent circles and the numbers along w how much he won are evidence of his legitimacy as the greatest. I can't believe I'm having to argue this on a NY forum. We're supposed to smart B-ball fans, lol...


    OK, now for your other comments:
    Paul and STAT is the best tandem you can put together... I said that Paul was a superior distributor but the games I watch with him, he is the dominate scorer..
    Look at John Paxon for example or even Nash... Paxon was fundamentally sound, was a great pure shooter and next to Magic Johnson, had the best court vision I have ever seen at the 1.Who are you talking about here?? Do you mean somebody else?? He was a quarterback! He understood the game he played in, he knew the team format and he understood the floor. He made Malone the legend he became. Oh you're talking about Stockton. NM

    Look, I know how good Melo is and how good Paul is, I'm just saying that their games are too similar to blend well, night in and out. This is just flat out wrong. Paul's game as a true, great pass-first PG shares nothing w Melo. Paul is a great scorer as well as a having all of the traits you want in a great PG ala Isiah Thomas. But make no mistake he's more concerned w setting up teammates than scoring. Melo is a scorer so you're not making sense. It's actually Melo and Amare that play similarly. I would rather the Knicks go after Paul, match him up with STAT and try to find very good position players to round out the roster...

    That's fair. Infact this is what I was advocating for in the summer. But, now having thought about this more, I've come to the conclusion that greatness is indispensable. Greatness also finds a way to complement greatness. If two or three great players are put together they act as a pressure release valves for each other. They free each other up. The cumulative effect of the damage they can do thus is increased because their effectiveness is increased due to teams not being able to focus too much one player.

    I know you are going to blast me on this but I would love the Knicks to put Odom next to STAT.. He is the type of player that would compliment STAT. He can defend, he can distribute and score.... He would not demand the ball from STAT, but help to facilitate STAT. I think we need a consistent 3 point/long range shooter flanking for the kick out... We also need solid guys... Like Fields that is just a solid, smart, well rounded player!
    What will help to "bleed off" the pressure from STAT is consistent outside shooting! Yes, a team needs other players too step up when someone is having an off game. But Boston and Miami are successful because their players PERFECTLY compliment each other.. Remember when they tried to bring in Wallace? He did not blend well at all because he is a selfish egotistical player. He was great with the Piston because he WAS the man! He had great position players surrounding him and the Pistons showed you just how far a well rounded, well coached team can go!
    Listen, having players that don't demand the ball like Odom and Fields is fine. But you need players that want the ball went it matters. Yes both Amare and Melo need the ball in their hands. The question is can they sacrifice having the ball whenever they want for the greater good, ie winning, like the Celtics big three and similar to what we see happening in Miami. All indications are that both Amare and Melo are serious about winning in NY so I'm not worried about them playing nice and sharing if they were to be situated together. They're also good friends so (Paul included) I suspect we have even less reason to worry about w regards to how they'd play together. I think it's safe to say they'd be good teammates to one another.
    Last edited by ronoranina; Jan 23, 2011 at 20:51.

  8. #8
    Veteran petescud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,815
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Yeah, its either Kareem's Lakers, Bird;'s Celtics or Jordan's Bulls...Most of the others would had gotten swept

  9. #9
    Veteran la2ny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Compton,Ca
    Posts
    1,777
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    I think we really forget the human factor when it comes 2 pros. We do the same thing when it comes to pro players career decisions. Look from all indications they are all good friends. Does anyone remember playing basketball with your friends on the team with you? If not then you wouldn't understand, but it is fun. Especially when you know your better than the other team which this team would be over most.

    Edit: I went with Magic/Captain/Big Game James Lakers. They were rediculously stacked even with all stars off the bench in Bob Mcadoo, Kurt Rambis, Micheal Cooper, and Micheal Thompson
    Last edited by la2ny; Jan 23, 2011 at 13:43.

  10. #10
    Knicks Guru hometheaterguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,017
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Originally Posted by ronoranina
    Listen, having players that don't demand the ball like Odom and Fields is fine. But you need players that want the ball went it matters.

    Odom wants the ball but he is a distributer as well. He is great in a motion offense since he is a fluid player so while the focus could be on STAT, Lamar's smarts will help him to get into position in case STAT wants to pass out. Plus he has a PG passing skill so he has the ability to move the ball efficiently and in a movement offense that is useful skill especially in a big man.

    Originally Posted by ronoranina
    Yes both Amare and Melo need the ball in their hands. The question is can they sacrifice having the ball whenever they want for the greater good, ie winning, like the Celtics big three and similar to what we see happening in Miami. All indications are that both Amare and Melo are serious about winning in NY so I'm not worried about them playing nice and sharing if they were to be situated together. They're also good friends so (Paul included) I suspect we have even less reason to worry about w regards to how they'd play together. I think it's safe to say they'd be good teammates to one another.
    So your argument is because they are friends they would be great teammates. One has nothing to do with the other... When they have the ball they will play their game, the only game they know how to play.

    Originally Posted by ronoranina
    Who are you talking about here?? Do you mean somebody else?? He was a quarterback! He understood the game he played in, he knew the team format and he understood the floor. He made Malone the legend he became. Oh you're talking about Stockton. NM
    Uh, Stockton was not the #1 scoring option... Stockton shot the ball when he needed too, when the circumstance called for it. He scanned the court to see the defensive scheme and he then would formulate how to get it to Malone or Jeff Hornacek or Chambers... or, if all else fails he would take it himself. He would shoot also to keep the D honest or shoot on the kick out. He wasn't moving the ball up court think about his own game. Great point guards passing skills are a reflex not a deliberate action.
    I think Paul has these qualities but he is a score first guard... Plain and simple he is a 2 guard with great passing skills...
    That being said I would pair him up with STAT but I wouldn't bring Melo.... I would go after more specif types of players ti surround these guys.... Shane Battier, Odom, Even Chris Andersen would be a nice compliment to STAT in the paint... You got to have a balance!

    Originally Posted by ronoranina
    That's fair. Infact this is what I was advocating for in the summer. But, now having thought about this more and I've to the conclusion that greatness is indispensable. Greatness also finds a way to complement greatness. If two or three great players are put together they act as a pressure release valves for each other. The free each other up. The cumulative effect of the damage they can do thus is increased because their effectiveness is increased due to teams not being able to focus too much one player.
    Uh, I've watched a few "dream teams" lose to teams that had no stars just better TEAMS. Don't blame it on the FIBA rules or the coach.... Not all stars can play together because their game won't let it.
    STAT, MELO and Paul is NOT James, Bosh and Wade nor are they Garnett, Pierce and Allen... Just not the same coherence....


    Originally Posted by ronoranina
    My dude, Magic had Kareem, arguably the best if not top 3 centers ever, and Worthy. Jordan had Pippen, Horace grant is not on their level. If Jordan had Kareem, Worthy, Perkins he might have had like 9 titles. Magic, in the 80's, had better teams them Michael could ever dream of having. MJ won more w less. That's one reason why I consider him to be the better player. Other than Pippen, Michael had an aging Bill Cartwright, a very good spot up shooter John Paxon and the aforementioned Grant. This formula was repeated over the course of Michael's career and he ultimately won more titles (6 to 5)than Magic.

    Couple the above w Michael's astounding numbers and you can really see why many consider him the best of all time; a 30 ppg scoring average over the course of his career while shooting around 50% (unbelievable, freakish efficiency), averaging 5 reb and 5 assists while keeping to's low. His body of work is just perfection personified. He is above Magic. That is the consensus in most intelligent circles and the numbers along w how much he won are evidence of his legitimacy as the greatest. I can't believe I'm having to argue this on a NY forum. We're supposed to smart B-ball fans, lol...
    Alright, I will state this again... Magic started a center in the Finals!!!!!
    DID YOU SEE MAGIC PLAY??!!!???!! I did, in person as well as Larry Bird and Jordan and I am telling you that Magic was the most dynamic player I have seen with my own eyes! Forget statistics because Magic's career was cut short.
    Horace Grant was an excellent player... If he was more athletic he'd be STAT!
    My dude.... have you ever watched these players in person? Not just clips on the internet or video games.... Were you around when Magic was playing?
    So Jordan had less to play with?? Bill Cartwright, Scottie Pippen, Horace Grant, John Paxon.... Should I go on? Then Toni Kukoc..Ron Harper who went on to play with the Lakers... Pippen is an all time great....
    about his stats, what Johnson did transcended statistics.. I mean, my God he started a Cente in the 1980's (I think that was the year) finals... Could Jordan be dominate playing the 4? Magic could as easily as he was at the 1, the position he played at most of his career...
    Last edited by hometheaterguy; Jan 23, 2011 at 13:52.

  11. #11
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    26
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    either way if we had melo chris paul we would have a dynasty

  12. #12
    Superstar welcometonycity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    878
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Originally Posted by drpapi23
    either way if we had melo chris paul we would have a dynasty
    ortega!!!! wats good *****

  13. #13
    Fundamentally Sound ronoranina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,758
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Originally Posted by hometheaterguy
    Odom wants the ball but he is a distributer as well. He is great in a motion offense since he is a fluid player so while the focus could be on STAT, Lamar's smarts will help him to get into position in case STAT wants to pass out. Plus he has a PG passing skill so he has the ability to move the ball efficiently and in a movement offense that is useful skill especially in a big man.


    So your argument is because they are friends they would be great teammates. One has nothing to do with the other... When they have the ball they will play their game, the only game they know how to play.

    No, guys can modify the way they play. We've seen this already w the Celtics. Ray, Paul and Garnett were all their teams lead scorers and they all take less shots and play together. And they weren't friends to begin w. Don't overlook something so obvious as friendship, just because you want to try to win a debate, makes you look silly. The friendship between Melo, Amare and Paul is a factor, a positive one. Be intuitive.

    Uh, Stockton was not the #1 scoring option... Stockton shot the ball when he needed too, when the circumstance called for it. He scanned the court to see the defensive scheme and he then would formulate how to get it to Malone or Jeff Hornacek or Chambers... or, if all else fails he would take it himself. He would shoot also to keep the D honest or shoot on the kick out. He wasn't moving the ball up court think about his own game. Great point guards passing skills are a reflex not a deliberate action.

    I didn't say he was the number 1 scoring option. I respect Stockton as a great true pass-first PG. Only comment I had about him his you calling him Paxon in your post lol..

    I think Paul has these qualities but he is a score first guard... Plain and simple he is a 2 guard with great passing skills...

    Whoa whoa, you are WRONG about Paul. Damn dog. You need to slow down. You obviously have not done your homework. Paul is already one of the greatest true pass-first PG's of all time. He averages 10 assists for his career thus far. You don't average 10 assists for your career as a score first point guard/ tweener. This is a very elementary basketball fact. You either don't know this or you have formed some pre-concieved notion about Paul's game w/out examining his numbers or watching him on the court. He is a true 1 guard. Please don't say again that he's a tweener, omg smh..

    That being said I would pair him up with STAT but I wouldn't bring Melo.... I would go after more specif types of players ti surround these guys.... Shane Battier, Odom, Even Chris Andersen would be a nice compliment to STAT in the paint... You got to have a balance!


    Uh, I've watched a few "dream teams" lose to teams that had no stars just better TEAMS. Don't blame it on the FIBA rules or the coach.... Not all stars can play together because their game won't let it.
    STAT, MELO and Paul is NOT James, Bosh and Wade nor are they Garnett, Pierce and Allen... Just not the same coherence....

    Did everyone think Pierce, Allen AND Garnett would work? No. What about Clyde, Reed, Monroe and Debusschere?? Were there questions about Wade, Lebron and Bosh? Yes. Did the latter threee struggle at first? Yes. How's that tandem working out now??? It may take some time for Melo, Paul and Amare to gel, but make no mistake they would make it work for reasons I've already stated. It's no coincidence you chose not to respond to any of my basketball points on why it's easier for great players co-habiting the same team to mesh together.

    The only Star Tandem I can remember that didn't own was Barkely, Olajawon and Pippen, but that was only because all three were past their primes. Before that though Houston acquired Drexler to go w The Dream. There were questions about that tandem as well but they won it all in 94-95. If you put great players together and they are young enough they will find a way to win together. You can't have enough greatness on your team. Seems counterintuitive.. It should anyway if you're sensible.





    Alright, I will state this again... Magic started a center in the Finals!!!!!

    Okay. Yes, we agree. As I've stated he's versatile. Don't confuse being versatile w being better.

    DID YOU SEE MAGIC PLAY??!!!???!! I did, in person as well as Larry Bird and Jordan and I am telling you that Magic was the most dynamic player I have seen with my own eyes! Forget statistics because Magic's career was cut short. Forget about stats. What should we go by then? Amount of off-time poker winnings..lol
    Horace Grant was an excellent player... If he was more athletic he'd be STAT!

    Wow dude, Horace Grant could be STAT w more athletic ability? Really?? Damn smh..

    My dude.... have you ever watched these players in person? Not just clips on the internet or video games.... Were you around when Magic was playing?
    So Jordan had less to play with?? Bill Cartwright, Scottie Pippen, Horace Grant, John Paxon.... Should I go on? Then Toni Kukoc..Ron Harper who went on to play with the Lakers... Pippen is an all time great....
    about his stats, what Johnson did transcended statistics.. I mean, my God he started a Cente in the 1980's (I think that was the year) finals... Could Jordan be dominate playing the 4? Magic could as easily as he was at the 1, the position he played at most of his career...
    I've seen all of the greats play. In this day and age you don't have to of been there to watch them. It's stupid for people to keep saying, "We're you there sonny? I saw him, I swear.. I was there", like some old coot lol.. Have you heard of ESPN Classic?? The internet?? Yes, I've actually sat and watched many games from the past, including old Lakers games. I'm a student of the game. You'd be surprised how much basketball I've watched. Stop w that nonsense..

    Comparing the pieces those Lakers teams had to that of the Bulls is silly. The Lakers had four big time players: Magic, Kareem, Worthy. You put Rambis up on the poll, but Byron Scott was better than him. One year they had Mc Adoo coming off the bench. They had some dominant squads and overall better teams than the Bulls.
    Last edited by ronoranina; Jan 23, 2011 at 20:56.

  14. #14
    Veteran la2ny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Compton,Ca
    Posts
    1,777
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Originally Posted by ronoranina
    I've seen all of the greats play. In this day and age you don't have to of been there to watch them. It's stupid for people to keep saying, "We're you there sonny? I saw him, I swear.. I was there", like some old coot lol.. Have you heard of ESPN Classic?? The internet?? Yes, I've actually sat and watched many games from the past, including old Lakers games. I'm a student of the game. You'd be surprised how much basketball I've watched. Stop w that nonsense..

    Comparing the pieces those Lakers teams had to that of the Bulls is silly. The Lakers had four big time players: Magic, Kareem, Worthy. You put Rambis up on the poll, but Byron Scott was better than him. One year they had Mc Adoo coming off the bench. They had some dominant squads and overall better teams than the Bulls.
    Good sh*t bro!
    +1

  15. #15
    Fundamentally Sound ronoranina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,758
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Just for sh*ts and gigs, here's about 8 min of a young MJ owning the Lakers and Magic in 1988.

    Watch the vid and you tell me who looks better..

    <iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/d-EPCcRRtLY" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

    This is a fun vid to watch if your a basketball fan.
    Last edited by ronoranina; Jan 23, 2011 at 16:46.

Similar Threads

  1. Knicks at Magic 3/21 7PM
    By jpz17 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: Mar 24, 2009, 10:06
  2. Cavs @ Knicks 11/25 7:30 PM ET
    By jpz17 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: Nov 26, 2008, 20:10
  3. Knicks 2007-2008 Season Recap
    By abcd in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: Feb 24, 2008, 11:12
  4. Lampe signs with NY Knicks
    By KnickFan2080 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: Jan 27, 2008, 23:17
  5. Philadelphia 76ers vs New York Knicks Game Thread 1/25
    By MSGKnickz33 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: Jan 27, 2008, 15:59

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •