View Poll Results: Which out of these star studded lineups, is the best?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Magic Johnson, kareem abdul Jabbar, James Worthy, Kurt Rambis

7 46.67%
  • Larry Bird, Kevin McHale, Robert Parish, Bill Walton

1 6.67%
  • Michael Jordon, Scottie Pippen, Horace Grant, John Paxon

7 46.67%
  • Shaquille O'Neal, Kobe Bryant, Robert Horry

0 0%
  • Kobe Bryant, Pau Gasol, Lamar Odom, Derek Fisher

0 0%
  • Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen, Rajo Rondo

0 0%
  • LeBron James, James Wade, Chris Bosh

0 0%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is the Knicks plan the right plan for the future?

Again, I will ask............... DOES ANYONE WATCH PAUL REGULARLY????

As much as I've seen of the Hornets over the years I never got the impression of a score-first or tweener. He has many Jason Kidd type games like 8 points, 15 assists, 3-4 steals. Some nights I wonder why he doesn't score more or take more shots because he is New Orleans best player and #1 option.

Edit:Rondo does get away with what he does because he manages the game well w/ all the HOF, but when the Celtics HOF aren't playing well he isn't as reliable on offense especially when it comes to jumpshooting.

Originally Posted by hometheaterguy
    Why do you insist on discounting a youtube vid.. You should be watching those..lol

Stop w this nonsense about having to watch a player regularly to evaluate them. Yes it helps to confirm what you've already seen initially. But its really not needed unless you're totally inept at judging talent and don't know you're looking at and what to look for smh.

When you've watched enough basketball, seen players at all levels, studied them, seen greatness and can recognize it, you know what to look for and it doesn't take months to find. You know it when you see it.. It's all about recognition, remembering what the greats could do in all areas- which is not easy but seems to come to me intuitively- and comparing them to the players of today. I need only a couple of games to see a players level and get a good idea of what they can do, really a game if they get enough time on the court. The rest is just confirmation..

And for the record I watch NO and Paul whenever I can. I've dvr'd numerous games this season and I've followed him from college to the pro's..

I have watched the Hornets regularly since Paul came into the league. Your notion that he is a scorer first and a passer second is ludicrous. If you said Deron Williams was a scorer first, I might not argue so much. Paul is a pure point.

Possibly you view him as a scorer because with the team he has, he has to be. The Hornets haven't exactly had an abundance of elite scorers for Paul to distribute to. He makes do with the likes of David West, who happens to lead the team in scoring. Paul is second.

I don't know how you can truly believe what you're saying.

Dude, can you think outside of youtube??? One of the searches is - Iverson crosses Jordan... I mean your opinion is based on clips you find...
    Not true at all. I'm not the type at all to sit around watching youtube vids. Infact the only time I go to the site is to post a vid here once in awhile, when I really want to drive a point home w video evidence.

By the looks of things in this thread you should be watching as much basketball footage as you can. You should be all-inclusive holmes. If I were you I wouldn't discriminate like that..

And how about this for thinking outside of youtube....: I was at a game in Philly after having scored tickets by chance as a young, strapping computer delivery driver on a job. Got the tickets during the day. Then that same Friday drove back to Philly in the evening to catch the game w a buddy. It was during the 97-98 Championship season. And ofcourse Jordan and Pippen in effortless, dramaless fashion, ransacked the Sixers. Good times.. You aint the only one who's seen the best up close my dude. Didn't even want to share that but you're really getting silly at this point.
    Last edited by ronoranina; Jan 23, 2011 at 20:28.

Metro prt. Deux

Originally Posted by la2ny
    Metro prt. Deux
    word..... how do these guys get all that rep talking like they do??

Originally Posted by ronoranina
    word..... how do these guys get all that rep talking like they do??
    I honestly do not know, I'm as confused as you.

Veteran

Originally Posted by Sir Charles BROakley
    I have watched the Hornets regularly since Paul came into the league. Your notion that he is a scorer first and a passer second is ludicrous. If you said Deron Williams was a scorer first, I might not argue so much. Paul is a pure point.

Possibly you view him as a scorer because with the team he has, he has to be. The Hornets haven't exactly had an abundance of elite scorers for Paul to distribute to. He makes do with the likes of David West, who happens to lead the team in scoring. Paul is second.

I don't know how you can truly believe what you're saying.
    Exactly.

Here's the thing...

It's not like CP3 is a bad scorer, either...he's actually a very good scorer...so what's wrong with him taking shots? Especially considering the whole "David West is the best player on my team other than me" thing that makes it difficult for CP3 to...distribute. And he's still averaged over 10 assists with them over the past 4 years.

CP3 being able to average 10 assists while scoring 17 points on 48% shooting is basically statistics talk for "He's a great floor leader who makes excellent decisions and is probably the best PG in the NBA right now".

Question Mark

The Jordan VS Magic debate always results in a stalemate. You can say either as far as I see it. If you don't include Jordan's second return to basketball with the Wiz, you can easily say that Jordan had the better team as his time waned.

In 1991, I remember watching the Bulls hand a 4-1 flogging to LA for their first banner. That series excluded both Byron Scott AND James Worthy due to injury. Fair to say that series could have resulted otherwise.

At that stage, with 5 extra seasons under his belt, Magic was ahead 5 'chips to 1.

And then, what happened again????, AH YES - Magic got bum-sexitis. He could easily have had another ring (no pun) as a vet post trade.

People often say that Jordan was the best winner as a majority, but I think that's bogus. Took him 4 years to lead his team past Detroit.

If you want to compare their most iconic moments - Magic takes the cake. EASILY!

Game 6 NBA finals 1980.

42, 15 & 7 as a ROOKIE! With captain, KAJ, out with a sprained ankle. LAL take the NBA's bragging rights.

Amazing

And it was in Philly! Madness.

Thank you for that video! What a treat to see Magic and Dr. J.... At my age I was lucky enough to catch the end of Dr. J's career... When I talk about seeing a player vs. clips and the occasional full game on a classics sports channel is night and day. When you saw Magic play, it was a real treat. Also, Jordan would not have been Jordan if not for Dr. J who really was that first flashy dunker/finisher in the NBA. I mean other players dunked balls through out history but Dr. J made it an art form.
    Jordan was the first player that I saw that could take the game on his shoulders and through sheer will, get a win. Magic could dominate but he also was the greatest floor general I ever saw. This was a guy that would get the ball to a player and you would swear he threw it right through the defender... You almost wanted to check the guy to make sure he didn't have a gapping hole in his chest! lol
    You know, it's funny but I guess I am starting to turn into one of these older guys that get stuck on their preconceived notions. I have been lucky enough to have seen some great PGs... I know that positions evolve over time and I guess when I watch some of the PGs of today, Paul and Williams, I see Point Guards that have expanded their games out side of the floor general role to a scoring role as well. I guess coaches like Larry Brown are having the same handicap....
    Also, getting back to my original point... I like Paul and would want him I just feel that Paul and STAT is a better blend than STAT and Melo.... I think we would see a better result if we are only able to get 1 of the 2.... I see Melo a better fit with Dwight Howard than STAT....
    Last edited by hometheaterguy; Jan 24, 2011 at 08:40.

Veteran

Thumbs up I like building off the past to make a brighter future

The most important impression the super-stars of the past were so great
    at inwhich few of the super-stars today has commited themselves to do
    was to take a below average Rondo & Perkins and make them into Star-Players.

Magic Johnson took a star base Laker team that could never go to the
    next-level in the postseason games for several years to the Championship
    ring level.
    Jordan & Pippin improve the level of all their teammates to go on to the
    next-level.
    Larry Bird improve the level of all the Celtics teammates to go on to the
    next-level.
    CP3 has improve the level of all his teammates in every season in his NBA
    career.

As an old Knick-Fan their were only three star players in the Knicks
    franchise career that went all out to improve the performance of their
    Knicks teammates: Earl the Pearl Monroe, Bernard King, and Mark Jackson.
    No-offense to any other star Knick players in the past or future, but none
    has sacrifice as much at improving their teammates performance as the
    three players above while on the Knicks.

Amare & Carmelo are actually the same frontcourt player..... weak on
    defensive effort/rebounding/and improving the level of their teammates
    performance. The two players has yet to show they are "complimentary-
    teammates" in any of the seasons in their NBA career.
    Last week I recall the Lakers vs Thunder game where Kobe Bryant was
    doing his best to prove to headcoach Jax that Kobe got distribution in
    his game LOL.

P.S. The season before Jordan won his first Championship Ring, Jordan
    actually played all 82 games as the Bulls starting PG, with Paxon at SG,
    Pippin at SF, and Oakley at PF. This was why Knick President Chekkett
    was stupid to trade a healthy C-Bill Cartwright (who just help Ewing to
    find his offense/defense game) to the Chicago Bulls. PF-Horace Grant
    strong performance the next 4 years made it look like Charles Oakley was
    never missed in Chicago by winning 3 straight Championships, plus having
    the best winning season in the NBA without Jordan in the 4th season after
    the trade.

Veteran

Nyk Logo

Magic could dominate but he also was the greatest floor general I ever saw. This was a guy that would get the ball to a player and you would swear he threw it right through the defender... You almost wanted to check the guy to make sure he didn't have a gapping hole in his chest! lol
    FANTASTIC!!!
    Also, getting back to my original point... I like Paul and would want him I just feel that Paul and STAT is a better blend than STAT and Melo.... I think we would see a better result if we are only able to get 1 of the 2.... I see Melo a better fit with Dwight Howard than STAT....

Amare needs a scoring PG with a quick-eye and quick-passing ability
    (off the dribble) to get other teammates into the offense any time he
    wants to, especially a nonscoring center, which speaks high volume on
    CP3 super-star performance (Tyson Chandler & Okafor).
    If u add CP3 with Miami's BIG-3 thats like 6 consecutive Championship Rings!
    Carmelo would be the perfect foward along with Turk & Bass in a rotation
    to give D.Howard his Championship Ring.