Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Azubuike Eyes Return

Hybrid View

Default Azubuike Eyes Return

AZUBUIKE EYES RETURN

As he iced the long scar on his left knee an hour before tipoff, Knicks guard and former Tulsa Victory Christian standout Kelenna Azubuike insists he is close to playing for the first time since Nov. 14, 2009, after major surgery on his patella tendon.

It's all about patience, really. I'll be back soon, said Azubuike, who has been on the Knicks' inactive list all season. It's been tough mentally. You've just got to stay with it. I feel myself getting better every day, I have people encouraging me. I'm good.

The undrafted Azubuike joined the league as a free agent out of the NBA Developmental League. He played four seasons at Golden State before being traded to the Knicks last July. He is making $3.364 million and his contract expires after this season.

Read more: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Hope he comes back as good as he was.

Brooklyn N.Y.........Alexandria,Egypt in the blood

god knows we need em, this dude is perfect for the system we need em back loll.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

He'll be a shell of his former self. Sad, but true. T Mac is a good example of how long it takes to get back.

Shame.

Originally Posted by Crazy8s
    He'll be a shell of his former self. Sad, but true. T Mac is a good example of how long it takes to get back.

Shame.
    where do you get these things from?

Originally Posted by Toons
    AZUBUIKE EYES RETURN

As he iced the long scar on his left knee an hour before tipoff, Knicks guard and former Tulsa Victory Christian standout Kelenna Azubuike insists he is close to playing for the first time since Nov. 14, 2009, after major surgery on his patella tendon.

It's all about patience, really. I'll be back soon, said Azubuike, who has been on the Knicks' inactive list all season. It's been tough mentally. You've just got to stay with it. I feel myself getting better every day, I have people encouraging me. I'm good.

The undrafted Azubuike joined the league as a free agent out of the NBA Developmental League. He played four seasons at Golden State before being traded to the Knicks last July. He is making $3.364 million and his contract expires after this season.

about time, this dude's injury is dragging on

I want to see him play but i dont think he will even get playing time or he will get it right away be too rusty and Dantoni won't play him ever again, just like Mozgov, Randolph, Nate, Hughes, Millicic, etc.

AND I really think Azubuike will return just in time for Donnie to trade him.

Nyk Logo Azubuike Putting In - Convinced He Can Crack Rotation

It ain't over yet for Kelenna Azubuike .
    Azubuike returned to practice Wednesday and said he believes he finally is on the verge of impressing the coaching staff enough to get him back on the court for a game. He may get his chance now that Shawne Williams likely will be suspended for a fight with the Hawks' Marvin Williams late in the game. Both players were ejected.
    Azubuike would be a logical suspension replacement for Williams, though the rehab on his knee, on which he had patellar-tendon surgery, has been filled with stops and starts. He returned to scrimmages in mid-November, then shut it down again in December as he worked on his gait. Azubuike simply was not explosive enough in scrimmages for D'Antoni to consider playing him.

Azubuike said he feels that has changed.
    "The difference this time is we've done a lot of strength work right to the injured part," Azubuike told The Post. "It's to a point it feels normal to push off it where before it was still that foreign feeling when I pushed off it. And we're doing stuff in the weight room to get that same feeling. When I get on the court it feels normal.

Interesting! Can't see how he's a necessary piece though sadly.

Well I'll say this...

As good as Fields has been, if Azzy were healthy he'd be starting and we'd be better off for it.

I'd love for Azzy to be ready by playoff time...Crap if he's ready now...awesome

Question Mark Oh Really?

Originally Posted by ronoranina
    Well I'll say this...

As good as Fields has been, if Azzy were healthy he'd be starting and we'd be better off for it.
    And what makes you say that, Ron diggity? I've never seen any footage of him bar highlight reels which are deceptively deceptive. I've read that he's good. Enlighten me!

Is he that much better than Lord Landry that he'd take the starting 2?

With SW suspended, Chandler hurting and Amar'e questionable... and being that NYK is playing DET next... I would think we should see AZZY next game if this report is accurate. ESPECIALLY if we build a nice lead.

And what makes you say that, Ron diggity? I've never seen any footage of him bar highlight reels which are deceptively deceptive. I've read that he's good. Enlighten me!

Better Believe he is. I've seen him in alot of games being on the westcoast and he's really skilled. Plays great D too. If he didn't get injured I don't believe GS would have traded him and I believe they most likely would have traded Monta by now to have a backcourt of Curry-Azubuike. The kid can ball, his stats before he got hurt were starting to reflect what they thought he could be. Also I believe he hits the three better than Laundry and is/was more explosive.

Also wouldn't it be great to be able to have the option to bring him or Landry off the bench. We'd be just that much deeper.

From what i remember he is super athletic....i mean more so then 95 % of our roster

Default Well allow me to elucidate then..

Idk if I can enlighten you Crazy, but I'll do my best..

Let me start of by saying that I like Landry Fields, ALOT.

When I say Azzzzzzy would be the starter I dont say it lightly. Ive thought it out.

I should also say, that like AR, Ive watched Azzy a handful of times and feel like I have a good idea of what he can and can't do..

I believe Azubuike would have cracked the starting rotation on a Mike D coached squad for a number of reasons:

1. Azzy is a real good 3 pt shooter. Mike D prizes knock-down three ball shooters who can space the floor. In the 08-09 season during which he started 51 games and played a total of 74, he shot .448 and made 94 threes. 45%.... Thats friggin solid. On a Mike D coached, SSOL squad he would be an asset for sure. When you watch him shoot, you see why. His mechanics are sound. Fields is an adequate guy from behind the arc, but Azzy is better right now, or at least was..

2. Hes not just a camper. This guy takes to the whole and finishes w authority. Hes explosive and has a knack for getting in the teeth of defenses. He can lay- in w either hand and often times will end a drive w an emphatic dunk. Ive seen him dunk in traffic a handful of times, nastily.

3. The guy is flat out fast. He runs the floor better than Landry for sure IMO. He would be ideal spotting up for threes and getting the ball and taking to the rim in transition.

4. Defensively, Azzzzzy was showing tenacity. He has a knack for coming up behind players and swatting the ball away, ala D.Wade or Lebiactch.. He can also get ya a steal or two per game. On this end of the floor, technically I think the two are a wash. Physically though, Azzy has a slight edge due to him being the better athlete.

Overall, I think Azzy was the better two way player. I think, based on the trajectory he was on and if healthy, he could have averaged 15- 18 ppg. on this team. He was the center piece in the trade of Lee and he would have fit in nicely.

Now Fields has shown hes smart, efficient and timely. He shoots an amazing .528 from the field. Mostly due to his effective board crashing and subsequent put-backing, and his savvy at finding open spaces in the defense which hes deftly exploited for easy lay-ins. Hes also taken 115 threes and made 45 for a percentage of .391.

Azzy kicks ass on offense in a more traditional way. He is the better slasher, (due to his explosiveness and solid handle) more explosive inside scorer and better shooter from deep. He would help our offense overall score more because we could space the floor better. He would also make teams pay at a higher clip. Azzy could easily have 70 or more threes at this point in the season.

Both players are good. But Azzy has more experience. Because of his talent-makeup I really think he could have become the kind of player that could propel this offense into more consistent, unpredictable dominance. He was also nothing to sneeze at defensively either and would have helped us there also.

I truly hope he can crack the rotation and help us this year.