Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Azubuike Eyes Return

Veteran

Originally Posted by Crazy8s
    And what makes you say that, Ron diggity? I've never seen any footage of him bar highlight reels which are deceptively deceptive. I've read that he's good. Enlighten me!

Is he that much better than Lord Landry that he'd take the starting 2?
    Hypothetically.... If we had the same Azu before the injury..... the Knicks
    would have a helluva 4-guard-backcourt rotation in the EC, I wouldnt want headcoach
    Dantoni anywhere around these 4-guards Felton/Douglas/Azu/Fields.
    Raymond Feltons playmaking skills would improve 95% receiving 26 to 30 minutes
    per game. Landry Fields off the bench would have us dominating the 2nd qtr.
    and 3rd qtr. of practically every game.
    What made Azu so spectacular in GS was his movement without the ball, his
    energy/speed/and IQ was consistent when receiving just 24 to 30 mpg.

The procedure and healing process after Azu's surgery has proved Azu will
    not be 85% healthy to do the samethings he did in GS untill the 2011-12 season.
    Azu is working hard on his rehabilitation for the Knicks to resign him

Originally Posted by ronoranina
    Well I'll say this...

As good as Fields has been, if Azzy were healthy he'd be starting and we'd be better off for it.
    bad post

Fields is one of the best rookies this year....if Azzy were healthy right this second, he would be a role player

everyone but Azzy thinks he can come back

The Knicks can release him after the trade deadline to free up a roster spot for a big man or a d league kid who is on the rise and wants to prove himself

I want to see Azubuike play more than anyone, but he can't even move laterally....if thats true then he won't play as a Knick this year or he will play at the end of the season if he isn't cut yet

Originally Posted by Paul1355
    bad post

Fields is one of the best rookies this year....if Azzy were healthy right this second, he would be a role player
    Really? Why? Because you don't agree..

I thought I backed the statement in question up w some pretty cogent stuff..

Listen, nobody is saying Fields hasn't been one of the best rookies in the NBA this season. The point I'm making, very clearly if you read, is that if Azzy was healthy he would produce more, which would help the team more. That's all Paul. When you look at Azzy's talent (not sure you're up on him) and the direction his career was taking before the injury, its not outlandish to think he'd have a numbers jump under D'ant.

I think my projections for what he could do are extremely plausible. If you don't agree, back it up w something. Your not really saying anything w your drive-by comments.
    Last edited by ronoranina; Jan 31, 2011 at 00:26.

Veteran

I think Azubuike would be good if he were at pre-injury strength but I'm scared that if he tries a comeback right now he'll look kinda like T-Mac did for us last year - show flashes of ability here or there but not really have that explosiveness back. Even T-Mac doesn't really have it back and might not ever, and and fully healthy pre-injury Azubuike is probably better than Fields, but Azubuike who might shot up in the next 3 days, I doubt it.

tmac is actually playing well lately

Veteran

I mean he's been playing well, but he's hardly his old self. And even if he's playing decent it took him a lot of games to get to this point.

That's the thing with Kelenna Azubuike - he might work his way back to being a great player but who knows if it'll happen until December of next season?

Superstar

I'd rather the Knicks take their time with Buike. Fields' value is even more important on our team since the lineup is already so weak with rebounding.

Its doubtful Buike will be even close to 100% and he really should be looking at the long history of players who have come back from knee injuries too early. His minutes should be extremely limited and why halt the development on Fields especially since Azubuike's contract is up at the end of the season anyway? I'd much rather let him heal and resign him for cheap.

Otherwise the Knicks will just be doing him favors by letting him fatten up his contract by playing hard to get numbers and most likely injuring himself even more in the future.

Default Silly to argue about who should start

It can only help the Knicks for Azubuike to get healthy and play well.

It is unlikely that Azubuike will be 100% this year, but a solid contributor at 80-90% come playoff time will still be extremely useful.

Who starts is not about who is a better player. Azubuike and Fields are both good players with all around games.

Who starts will be about chemistry, about how the rest of the team plays, who fits better with the starters and who fits better with the second team. This is something you can only discover by playing them in different situations for a while.

If Azubuike only plays in April, there will not be enough time to figure this out this year; and consequently Walsh may not know enough to decide between re-signing him, trading him, or letting him walk over the summer. If he can contribute in February, then this is a totally different [and positive] development.

Whenever Azubuike is able to contribute serious minutes, it is Douglas and Walker whose minutes will be negatively affected, particularly Walker.

Fields and Felton will benefit from playing 25-32 minutes per game rather than 35-42 minutes. Also, Felton and Douglas will be able to get healthy, which we will need if we want to make it to the second round of the playoffs.