True Shooting % for our Top Scorers

TS% True Shooting Percentage calculates what a player?s shooting percentage would be if we accounted for free throws and 3-pointers. True Shooting Percentage = (Total points x 50) divided by [(FGA + (FTA x 0.44)]

Amare Stoudemire: 56.2 TS%
Raymond Felton: 52.9 TS%
Wilson Chandler: 55.9 TS%
Danilo Gallinari: 60.3 TS%

This is the most accurate way to judge a players efficiency as a scorer, much more accurate than fg% b/c it calculates free throws and 3 pointers into the equation.

Maybe our 2Nd option should be Gallo instead of Felton or Wilson

iSaYughh

Starter
Co-sign. A crisp, truthful post.

There is another stat line, that is hinged on TS%, and also includes turnover ratios and such. Gallo excels even further there.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
While useful, TS% is to an extent valuable only if the player can also play on the defensive side of the ball. Kevin Martin always has a high TS% but he's a sieve on D, look at him on Sacramento and Houston, sub .500 teams with him in the lineup.

While useful, TS% is to an extent valuable only if the player can also play on the defensive side of the ball. Kevin Martin always has a high TS% but he's a sieve on D, look at him on Sacramento and Houston, sub .500 teams with him in the lineup.
That's not a fair assessment of Kmart.. He was on the Kings team that went to the playoffs and gave the spurs a good battle back in 06. Yeah his defense is sub par you have a point, but he's not the reason for his teams being sub .500. Just not enough talent surrounding him in a tough western conference.

nyk_nyk

All Star
This is so overrated. FG% already takes into account 3pt accuracy and adding in FTs is stupid because its not a shot you can take anytime you want. FTs are conditional while everything else is free will.

Why include a shot where no one can be 3-4 feet anywhere near you while you take it?

Oldtimer

Rotation player
TS%

A true shooting percentage is designed to measure points scored per shot attempted. If a player takes 10 two point shots and hits 5 of them his FG % is 50% and with his 10 attempts he has scored 10 points. If a player takes 10 three point.shots and hits 4 of them, his FG% is 40%, but with his ten attempts he has scored 12 points. If a player takes 9 shots, and let's assume they are two point shots, and makes four of them, his FG% is 44.4%. If on a 1oth shot he gets fouled and makes both, then on 10 attempts, he has scored 10 points.

Cool, lets sell this bridge to Denver or any other team that fits his style of play. I'm not impressed at all with his flopping and dropping for points, thats cheap ball, it leaves us exposed and it slows down the tempo of the game. Williams and Walker should be ahead of him on the pine. The numbers mean nothing if they don't contribute to wins.

Oh, and did I mention he's the coach's son?

Our situation this year is unique like no other. We might not have another opportunity like this again. Not with Dolan, not with Walsh aging, and Zeke lurking.

This is the vibe i'm picking up here around the board...keep the coach's non-athletic streaky shooter son, and trade away our better players...players that compliment the team more. Am I clear about this?

KBlack25

Starter
Take this with a grain of salt...

The NBA leader in true shooting %age for the last 3 years running is Nene Hilario.

la2ny

Starter
So let me get this str8, someone came up with another useless formula to tell us if someone can be a great and efficient scorer??

I h8 these formulas in sports. It really leads to alot of battles over who had better stats, when the player might not have been better than over who you were arguing.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
This is so overrated. FG% already takes into account 3pt accuracy and adding in FTs is stupid because its not a shot you can take anytime you want. FTs are conditional while everything else is free will.

Why include a shot where no one can be 3-4 feet anywhere near you while you take it?

Because it's a shot. Whether FT's are conditional or not has no baring on whether player is proficient in that particular facet.

So because Gallo is aggressive, gets to the line a lot and is accurate from there his true shooting % is effected.

Kewl. I like the formula.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound

The NBA leader in true shooting %age for the last 3 years running is Nene Hilario.

True % is going to be effected if the player has an exceptional fg%. Believe it or not Nene is 10th all-time in career fg%.

Other players over the years w really high fg% have lead in this statistic like Barkley and Wilt...

Then you have more traditional shooters, guys like Nash and Stockton who've also made the list several times respectively.

I like this stat because it shows ones prowess and efficiency purely as a shot maker, no matter what position they play, type of game they wield and because it is all-inclusive w regards to the various facets of shooting.

Last edited:

iSaYughh

Starter

Rono pointed out how there will be outliers (still quality, good players); but isnt the rest of the list pretty much filled w good, really good, or great players? I honestly don't recall off top of head, but similar stats have been broken down like that. Usually some outliers for unique circumstance, but then filled with a who's who of who you'd like on your team.

There's a stat based on ts% that takes into account turnovers, too, which Gallo rates even higher on.

Not a be all end all, but again shows Gallo's worth and possibilities.

Summarily dismissing this stat, isn't much different than dismissing fg%; it's actually more accurate tho w less "outliers" who sneak onto top player lists, and more encompassing.

Let's face it, statistics almost always suck and r so circumstantial and variable and dependent; even up a players' teammates.

Stuff like ts% helps cut thru a lotta of that, and give a more accurate answer to the question: how good of an all around shot maker is he.

Breaking down ts% lists by *position* is best, IMO.

petescud

Starter
What happened to feed the hot gun.....you'd think we'd had learned this after Starks cost us a championship back in the 90's

KBlack25

Starter
Rono pointed out how there will be outliers (still quality, good players); but isnt the rest of the list pretty much filled w good, really good, or great players? I honestly don't recall off top of head, but similar stats have been broken down like that. Usually some outliers for unique circumstance, but then filled with a who's who of who you'd like on your team.

There's a stat based on ts% that takes into account turnovers, too, which Gallo rates even higher on.

Not a be all end all, but again shows Gallo's worth and possibilities.

Summarily dismissing this stat, isn't much different than dismissing fg%; it's actually more accurate tho w less "outliers" who sneak onto top player lists, and more encompassing.

Let's face it, statistics almost always suck and r so circumstantial and variable and dependent; even up a players' teammates.

Stuff like ts% helps cut thru a lotta of that, and give a more accurate answer to the question: how good of an all around shot maker is he.

Breaking down ts% lists by *position* is best, IMO.

I didn't say to dismiss it as useless. I said it should be taken as a grain of salt.

If we determine who should be the lead scorer by this stat only, Nene would be the #1 option on evry team in the league for the last 3 years. I have been a steadfast supporter of gallo, I think he gets a ton of unnecessary and unwarranted hate on this board. But we shouldn't take true% as the whole story so to speak because it is so subject to outliers.

Just to make my point, other studs who have finished as league leaders in True Shooting %:

Damon Jones
Brian Cardinal
Eddy Curry (!)
Dikembe Mutombo (!!)

Last edited:

nyk_nyk

All Star
TS% is not for the fans. This and other variable statistics are for the purpose of deciding a players' worth in relation to a contract.

We can clearly see by watching games who are good at what they do.

iSaYughh

Starter
I didn't say to dismiss it as useless. I said it should be taken as a grain of salt.

If we determine who should be the lead scorer by this stat only, Nene would be the #1 option on evry team in the league for the last 3 years. I have been a steadfast supporter of gallo, I think he gets a ton of unnecessary and unwarranted hate on this board. But we shouldn't take true% as the whole story so to speak because it is so subject to outliers.

Just to make my point, other studs who have finished as league leaders in True Shooting %:

Damon Jones
Brian Cardinal
Eddy Curry (!)
Dikembe Mutombo (!!)

I agree. My remark about dismissing it wasn't actully meant to be directed at you; tho it may have came off that way since it was an offshoot of me having quoted you (which I just did to mainly respond to the pt of "outliers").

The guys you've mentioned, by n large, are bigs -- and really straight up 5s even. So sure you can't simply say a guy has a good ts and play it off as a gold standard indivituve of how good n refined a shooter/scorer they are.

#1 ~= that it's better than #2.

But remove bigs, or just centers even, and the list includes a bulk of highly skilled/excellent players/scorers.

It's a general indicator encompassing value, n potential. Not a traditional absolute; eg 52% fg unequivocally better in the stat's metric than all below.

Not that that is that complete since it doesn't reflect number of shots, types of shots, 3balls, etc.

moneyg

Starter
TS% True Shooting Percentage calculates what a player?s shooting percentage would be if we accounted for free throws and 3-pointers. True Shooting Percentage = (Total points x 50) divided by [(FGA + (FTA x 0.44)]

Amare Stoudemire: 56.2 TS%
Raymond Felton: 52.9 TS%
Wilson Chandler: 55.9 TS%
Danilo Gallinari: 60.3 TS%

This is the most accurate way to judge a players efficiency as a scorer, much more accurate than fg% b/c it calculates free throws and 3 pointers into the equation.

Maybe our 2Nd option should be Gallo instead of Felton or Wilson

this is a joke....

maybe gallo should be our first option..

this is yet another "lets praise gallo" thread...im not hatin on him.. but he is not nearly as good as some people think....

he should come up with a new dance.. The EuroFlop