True Shooting % for our Top Scorers

metrocard

Legend
So let me get this str8, someone came up with another useless formula to tell us if someone can be a great and efficient scorer??

I h8 these formulas in sports. It really leads to alot of battles over who had better stats, when the player might not have been better than over who you were arguing.

Why is it useless?
Why do you hate facts and truth?
Why do you love to be ignorant?

Anyway, this is a good thread.

Gallo needs more shots and has to stop spotting up. He has an excellent ability in getting to the free throw line and we should utilize it. Gallo needs to develop a mid range and post game in the off season to get to Dirk level. Lets hope for it. Right now, Gallo is that 15 ppg long range shooter. Thats all we'll ever see.

elcol

Rotation player
Maybe our 2Nd option should be Gallo instead of Felton or Wilson

gallo's TS is high because he drives to the basket every time and draws fouls, it doesn't reflect anything else. is TS is bumped up because he is a good free throw shooter, you can't expect wilson or felton to have a higher TS because they don't get as many free throw attempts. you dont even account for the times that he EXPECTS to get fouled and then ends up throwing up an airball = turnover. the only guy on the team thats a legitimate option is amare, everyone else is not an option. we run plays and move the ball not isolation every time.

la2ny

Starter
Why is it useless?
Why do you hate facts and truth?
Why do you love to be ignorant?

Dude plz stop. What im stating is, why is that every couple of years some stats junkie comes up with another formula out of thin air to prove a point to someone? Just like Hollinger came up w/ some formula to determine who's big 3 was better, Jordan-Pippen-Grant, Bryant-Gasol-Odom, James-Wade-Bosh, etc. Numbers do not tell the whole story is what im saying.

I do not hate facts and truths. Kareem scored more points than Michael Jordan(FACT), but he's not a better scorer than Michael was(TRUTH).

Im ignorant why??? Because I don't like a bogus statistic. lol. My dude I'm entitled 2 my own opinion.

"opinions are like yesterdays, everybody has one"

gallo's TS is high because he drives to the basket every time and draws fouls, it doesn't reflect anything else. is TS is bumped up because he is a good free throw shooter,.
And can you tell me how this negatively affects our team or Gallo??? If anything this benefits us,our best freethrow shooter getting to the line at 6 times a game and hitting them at a high clip.Think about it if Gallo gets 5 touches on the basketball and he gets to the line 3 times and converts 1 three pointer he would have 9 points on 1FGA while putting the other team 2 fouls away from the bonus. Now let's say Felton takes 5 touches on the basketball and converts 3-3 on three pointer and misses the other two shots he will have 9 points on 3-5FGA and that's it. So why shouldn't Gallo have a higher TS than Felton?

you can't expect wilson or felton to have a higher TS because they don't get as many free throw attempts.
I don't expect them to, nor should they be our 2nd and 3rd option when it is obvious that Gallo is performing more efficiently.You are making it seem as if Gallo's penetrating and getting to the freethrow line is actually hurting the team when it is helping because besides Amare no one else draws fouls.

you dont even account for the times that he EXPECTS to get fouled and then ends up throwing up an airball = turnover.
Now you are trying to single little things out to find a fault because Gallo barely shoots air balls. However I do agree there are times he braces himself for contact doesn't get the call and misses the layup, but these are accounted for and count as a missed FG. Also even with these lapses in his game Gallo still perfomes at a higher clip than Wilson and Felton.

the only guy on the team thats a legitimate option is amare, everyone else is not an option. we run plays and move the ball not isolation every time.
This post confused me a bit, What are you trying to say is Amare a legit option because we iso him or is it because we run no plays for anyone else??
However if you just take a simple look at the Game logs you will see besides Amare Gallo is out performing everyone else on the team in terms of scoring.

metrocard

Legend
Dude plz stop. What im stating is, why is that every couple of years some stats junkie comes up with another formula out of thin air to prove a point to someone? Just like Hollinger came up w/ some formula to determine who's big 3 was better, Jordan-Pippen-Grant, Bryant-Gasol-Odom, James-Wade-Bosh, etc. Numbers do not tell the whole story is what im saying.

I do not hate facts and truths. Kareem scored more points than Michael Jordan(FACT), but he's not a better scorer than Michael was(TRUTH).

Im ignorant why??? Because I don't like a bogus statistic. lol. My dude I'm entitled 2 my own opinion.

"opinions are like yesterdays, everybody has one"

Shut up.
Your stating nothing.
Stat junkies have more validity than you. You're not a professional. So stop trying to say whats right, especially since you're lacking the resources and info.

I don't care what Hollinger does, but I'm sure he's more reliable than you.

Statistics are VERY IMPORTANT and your opinion ISN',. Stats are not not only for sports; but also running a business and assessing and projecting trends that may harm or benefit your business. Formulas make life better, whether you want to deny or accept, it doesn't matter. Life moves on with you, and especially a bum like you. Go stuff your opinion in your mother's pussy.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Statistics aren't the end-all-be-all of basketball but they give us an idea of how good a player is.

A player who shoots at 48% and gets to the free throw line 5 times a game converting 80% of his FTA is far more effective than a player who shoots at 51% and gets to the free throw line only once a game converting 80% of his FTA.

It's the same reason Allen Iverson was a good player in spite of his low shooting percentages. Getting to the free throw line is a hallmark of a good player, notice how the best players in recent years have gotten to the charity stripe at an insane rate (LeBitch, Wade, Carmelo, Kobe, Durant, Amar'e, etc.) Felton not being able to get to the free throw line definitely does make him a less effective player on offense than Gallinari if Felton doesn't convert enough of his shot attempts.

You can try to argue all you want but Gallo is becoming the 2nd most efficient player on our team besides STAT. He has had multiple games with 20+ points with lower than 12FGA while Wilson and Felton need at least 10FGA for 15-17pts.

What else will you argue that FG% doesn't mean anything?

Hitman

Benchwarmer

Ignorant

1. Lacking education or knowledge.
2. Showing or arising from a lack of education or knowledge: an ignorant mistake.
3. Unaware or uninformed.

1, 2 & 3 all apply to you. That is why he called you ignorant.