2011 State of the Union

jpz17

Starter
What did you guys think of the State of the Union?? I loved that address.. it was Obama's best speech I believe

Paul1355

All Star
What did you guys think of the State of the Union?? I loved that address.. it was Obama's best speech I believe
you mean obama's speech writer's best speech he/she ever wrote?

IDK cuz i didnt watch it but my advice to Obama....

just look at the teleprompter, Obama, keep lookin

Paul1355

All Star
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fBWo_TO7xQ

It is idiotic to say Obama didn't write a good amount of the speech. You know that.. Please watch the movie and you'll know how it worked
I said I didnt watch it but every other speech I have seen was redundant.

You really think Obama writes his own speeches?

Dude GTFO...no president does that anymore lmao.

What defines a president is his actions and Obama's actions have been radical thus far.

His presidency has been defined by the bills he has passed costing our country trillions of dollars.

The fact that this dude has spent more money than every president combined just makes me shake my head in disbelief.

Change isn't always for the better.

i think we just got worse.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
It was a really good speech and he extended an olive branch to the GOP which is needed since so many tough things need to get done.

P.S. Paul, while Obama and all presidents have speech writers it's common knowledge that Obama takes more of an active role than previous presidents. He also dictates the tone and tenure of the speech. His masterful delivery and charisma cannot be overstated as well.

jpz17

Starter

What defines a president is his actions and Obama's actions have been radical thus far.

His presidency has been defined by the bills he has passed costing our country trillions of dollars.

The fact that this dude has spent more money than every president combined just makes me shake my head in disbelief.

lol I don't even think I'll respond to that it is so BS

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter

paul you are just wrong. 90% of the money Obama spent went to fighting a recession he inherited due to out of control spending and deregulation by the GOP which controlled all 3 houses of government for close to a decade. When demand is down and we are in a deflationary spiral the only way to break that trend is for the government to spend money to keep our economy going. What part of his spending did you disagree with? 1/3 was tax cuts, 1/3 was extending unemployment benefits and patching state budgets to avoid layoffs of teachers, firefighters and police which kept money in peoples pockets so they could live while spending to keep economy afloat and 1/3 was much needed investments in infrastructure and education. Teachers and construction workers are people who pay taxes, provided services and are considered jobs... something that was needed to stop the bleeding. Further, the healthcare reform bill cuts deficits over the next 10 years while expanding coverage and providing much needed regulations to an insurance industry more concerned with profits than a patients health.

The CBO estimates that TARP and the stimulus created between 3-6 million jobs. Think how much deeper and worse the recession would be with an additional 3-5 million less jobs, less people spending and more people defaulting on their homes.

I know you see the deficit ballooning and you blame new spending but really it is due to less revenue because of high unemployment which leads to less taxes which in turn leads to budget gaps. I suggest you stop watching Fox or listening to Rush and pick up a book.

LeFlume

All Star
It's just words. No action. State of the Union is just bullshit..Show us some results instead..I'm tired of words.

Paul1355

All Star
It's just words. No action. State of the Union is just bullshit..Show us some results instead..I'm tired of words.
my point exactly

look at Obama, his promises of 95% tax cuts BULL SHIT

Bi partisiship BULLSHIT just look at the process of how all his bills were passed

People are just avoiding what has happened that shows this guy is a big talker.

He did some things he said, closed Guantanamo, ok

Changed healthcare...well yea but there are so many against it that it might fail completely.

All i can say to Obama lovers is this....he has spent more money than every president combined....if this was Bush, Reagen, the democrats would honestly kill the preseident....but for some reason since it is the first black president of a democratic party that wanted change, he gets the free passes....screw that

stop being tricked by his charm and charisma, i can't believe Opra Winfery cried the day she saw him speeak curing his campaign race...this country is full of fools.

And honestly I barely watch Fox or any news outlet on TV anymore, i know its all a game to have the country at each others throats...but just because i know Obama is full of shyt doesnt mean i am a Fox news person

Democrats know this, we just have die hard Democrats on this thread

Both sides have skeltons in the closet and Obama is a charismatic confident man who everyone really thinks is tanking the country.

You can have all the charm and confidence in teh world, but if your plan is exposed then you will fall harder than a ton of bricks. And this might happen to Obama.

I never liked him since he started making ridiculous promises during his campain race

and Yea Obama is the master at reading off a teleprompter, he is known for this....get him in the interviews and you will see what i see. Same goes for stupid Sarah Palin, retarded John Mccain, retarded George Bush...i know these guys are all failures and Obama is no differnt, just a puppet on a string who can mask true intentions and fake a smile

Ill be shocked if he is elected in his 2nd term. Shocked.

Paul1355

All Star
It was a really good speech and he extended an olive branch to the GOP which is needed since so many tough things need to get done.

P.S. Paul, while Obama and all presidents have speech writers it's common knowledge that Obama takes more of an active role than previous presidents. He also dictates the tone and tenure of the speech. His masterful delivery and charisma cannot be overstated as well.
he was elected president mainly because of what I bolded

His charisma is fantastic and he is one of the best speakers i have seen I compeltely agree...but he is full of shyt and people who believe this country is changing for the better will ignore his BS promises and just look at hope and change and think he is working for that

every president has an agenda, every president has skeltons in teh closet and I think Obama is just better at masking it and his "masterful" delivery and charisma is what democrats are being fooled by.

I know republcians are usually retarded (Palin, Bush, Mccain) perfect examples...but democratic leaders think they can fool the public and they fail, they are the masters at fake smiles(Nancy Pelosi) and bullshit promises to pump people up(Obama), both are messed up but i realy dont like Obama because he knows how to fool people, masterfully.

Paul1355

All Star

extended an olive branch?

If you think Obama has shown bi partisanship at all then please tell me you watched the process of his billion dollar bills being passes with not even a handful of republicans voting for it....

How did Obama pass his bills?

Because the Democrats had so many voters that they could have all voted for Obama, with not one republican voting for a bill, and still pass it because of the overwhelming quantity of democratic officials voting on bills

I watched it unfold and I was furious seeing Obama promise bi partisanship and see him literally shove bills down our throats that were thousands of pages that no one read and just passed them with the promises of hope and change....PLEASE!!! Extended an Olive Branch? Obama burned down trees before extending any branch.

Did any of you watch C Span during the process of his bills being passed?

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
extended an olive branch?

If you think Obama has shown bi partisanship at all then please tell me you watched the process of his billion dollar bills being passes with not even a handful of republicans voting for it....

How did Obama pass his bills?

Because the Democrats had so many voters that they could have all voted for Obama, with not one republican voting for a bill, and still pass it because of the overwhelming quantity of democratic officials voting on bills

I watched it unfold and I was furious seeing Obama promise bi partisanship and see him literally shove bills down our throats that were thousands of pages that no one read and just passed them with the promises of hope and change....PLEASE!!! Extended an Olive Branch? Obama burned down trees before extending any branch.

Did any of you watch C Span during the process of his bills being passed?

Yes olive branch as in:

Watered down weak health care reform bill without a public option. (similar plan to Bob Dole in 90's)

Extended the Bush tax cuts

Increased military spending even though we fight isometric wars in the 21st century just to keep congressman happy who have plants in their districts building tanks and fighters we will never use.

1/3 of the stimulus was tax cuts

an ineffectual weak wall street reform bill

no word about gun control even after the tragedy in Az.

etc.
etc.

I am sure there is more so don't pretend Obama is some raging liberal. If anything he is a centrist Republican from the 90's before the GOP jumped off the ideological cliff pandering to Joe the Plummer and all the other dolts in this country.

BTW, his billion dollar bills were not pet projects or spending for spending sake. TARP and the stimulus were designed to prevent a depression because of the economic madness the GOP let run wild while they were in charge with their tried and true mantra of deregulation and a "free market". Yes, free to borrow peoples pensions and then leverage that debt 40 times till its worthless and run to the the very tax payer they fleeced for a bailout.

BTW, those billion dollar bills you say not one GOP member voted for actually saved the global economy from imploding.

The evil stimulus plan:

Last week, the CBO also released its latest, legally mandated report on the impact of spending programs and tax cuts in President Obama’s equally reviled stimulus package. In the third quarter of 2010, according to the CBO, those policies:

* (R)aised real (inflation-adjusted) gross domestic product by between 1.4 percent and 4.1 percent,
* Lowered the unemployment rate by between 0.8 percentage points and 2.0 percentage points,
* Increased the number of people employed by between 1.4 million and 3.6 million, and
* Increased the number of full-time-equivalent (FTE) jobs by 2.0 million to 5.2 million compared with what would have occurred otherwise. (Increases in FTE jobs include shifts from part-time to full-time work or overtime and are thus generally larger than increases in the number of employed workers).

Oh and TARP which initially cost 700 billion really only cost the government 25 billion since most of it was paid back:

The Troubled Assets Relief Program, which was widely reviled as a $700 billion bailout for Wall Street titans, is now expected to cost the federal government a mere $25 billion - the equivalent of less than six months of emergency jobless benefits.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/11/29/AR2010112905453.html

So yea, TARP was started under Bush but effectively managed by Obama's team as they changed its intent and execution. His team pulled us back from the brink of total economic collapse without the help of the GOP who was actually vested in a long drawn out economic recession in order to regain power. They succeed with record numbers of filibusters and slowing government to a crawl making it that much harder to fight the recession.

Oh and to that weakened health care reform bill that the GOP who claims to be concerned with deficits wants to repeal:

Rescinding the federal law to overhaul the health-care system, the first objective of House Republicans who ascended to power this week, would ratchet up the federal deficit by about $230 billion over the next decade and leave 32 million more Americans uninsured, according to congressional budget analysts.

The rough estimate by the Congressional Budget Office also predicts that most Americans would pay more for private health insurance if the law were repealed. The 10-page forecast was delivered Thursday to House Speaker John A. Boehner (R-Ohio), installed a day earlier to shepherd the new GOP majority. He immediately dismissed it.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/01/06/AR2011010606159.html

So not only would it cost MORE to repeal the bill but would leave 32 million uninsured and let private insurance costs skyrocket.

Yup, Obama and myself have the facts on our side and the GOP and apparently you have hollow talking points that a simple Google search can debunk.

BTW in case you don't know who the CBO is:

The Congressional Budget Office (CBO) is a federal agency within the legislative branch of the United States government. It is a government agency that provides economic data to Congress.[1] The CBO was created as a nonpartisan agency by the Congressional Budget and Impoundment Control Act of 1974.

Every number i provided is from the CBO, not Rush or Hannity.

Last edited:

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter

BTW, there were over 150 Republican amendments in that bill and countless meetings. The bill was up on the net weeks prior to a vote and the process took well over a year. How you can claim anyone rammed anything down your throat is laughable!