Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Egypt

Originally Posted by th3realicon
    I hope the Muslim Brotherhood gets a prominent part in the next government. The lads deserve it after all the injustices done to them. Mubarak is done and not even Obama could save his cheating arse. Heck not even their best allies the Israelis can now. The brotherhood is the next obvious step.
    I studied political Islam extensively, as part of my master's degree in history. I know that the media has portrayed the MB, and other factions involved in this movement, as being harmless, so I understand why you say you would like the MB to obtain power. However, history proves this group to be a dangerous terrorist organization.

Granted, the MB have some moderates, amongst their ranks, along with the bulk of extremists involved in running this organization. However, moderate and extremist elements in the MB all have one thing in common: rather than allowing people to practice religion within the context of community, they want to inject religion into all areas of life, through the obtaining of political power, thus the term "political Islam."

Most of the Islamist groups in Sunni Islam sprang out of the MB and figures like Sayyd Qutb. These include Takfir, Jammat Islammya, etc. Their activities: persecuting religious minorities and Muslims they consider heretical, harassing people for breaking the various laws of Islam, killing tourists, politicians, like Egyptian President, Anwar Sadat (in 1980), etc., have gotten them arrested. Rightfully so, I am sure you would agree.

In fact, it is important to note that the MB has often gotten leniency from the state (when compared how others are treated for similar crimes), since they have many members in high positions of power. They, and their actions, also have the support of many of the Muslim clerics that work at Al-Azhar, the prestigious, connected and powerful Egyptian Islamic university.

So, rather than supporting terrorists, the West needs to encourage and support the secular and moderate elements of this movement, in my opinion.

Brooklyn N.Y.........Alexandria,Egypt in the blood

Originally Posted by Paul1355
    They just have to pick a new leader very cautiously, bring back democracy in Egypt. You just don't want another crook to take over who is better than the last crook.

its tough, who do you think should take over?
    yea their saying Mubarak has between 40-70 billion net-worth thats ridiculous loll.

I dont know who should take over at the moment, some would say Souliman the newly appointed VP but he doesnt have any experience outside of military i would say Amr Moussa is the best option for the country if Mubarak was ousted before Sept. However i think thats very unlikely so i would say Mubarak stays till his term ends in september and he continues to work towards implementing a democracy till then as he's taken steps towards already. That allows possible candidates to show what they can offer the country and let the best option of the people win. But for an immediate switch from Mubarak if he's to be overthrown( highly unlikely ) is either ElBaradaei or Moussa; my choice being the latter

Funny you mentioned Qutb and failed to mention the fact that he was also murdered. I guess whoever dies from the hands of the people in charge is simply law and whoever dies from what we perceive as a terrorist is all of a sudden murdered.

You also failed to mention that the MB openly embraced El Baradei who has no ties to the brotherhood.

Originally Posted by th3realicon
    Funny you mentioned Qutb and failed to mention the fact that he was also murdered. I guess whoever dies from the hands of the people in charge is simply law and whoever dies from what we perceive as a terrorist is all of a sudden murdered.

You also failed to mention that the MB openly embraced El Baradei who has no ties to the brotherhood.
    Thank you for you reply. I am not trying to argue with you. Certainly, it is a tragedy whenever anyone, including Qutb, is abused or killed. My point, by mentioning the history of the MB, is that the West should support the moderate elements of this revolution, who will hopefully support total freedom for all Egyptians (Muslims, of all sects, Christians, etc.), as well as a secular government [as opposed to an Islamic state, which is inherently an impediment to total freedom].

And the history of political Islam speaks for itself. Islamist groups have proven themselves to be EXTREMELY violent and authoritarian, toward Muslims who they do not feel are sufficiently pious, religious minorities, tourists, and women. Whenever they have gained substantial political power: Afghanistan and Iran are two examples, they oppress the population and alienate nations that differ in political ideology.

I love the Egyptian people and support a government that is of their choosing and that responds directly to them. The MB responds first to its interpretation of religion and then the people. Ultimately, the world must accept the people's choice. I just hope they choose a government that is in their best interests. Only time will tell.

sweet freedom step one is done now to complete the transition to democracy; we the best. the country is surreal right now. speaking to family in egypt their telling me they partied all last night loll.

Congrats to all our Egyptian brothers. May they live their life is peace and harmony from now on. The Schmuch Mubarak is gone..

Whew..... A sigh of relief and hopefully truly better times ahead.

Originally Posted by LeFlume
    Congrats to all our Egyptian brothers. May they live their life is peace and harmony from now on. The Schmuch Mubarak is gone..
    Originally Posted by Crazy8s
    Whew..... A sigh of relief and hopefully truly better times ahead.

thanks guys im so happy that finally the dark cloud that hovered over the country for over 30 years has subsided, we could move on now as a country and achieve the democracy we all know to be possible. the military has already dissolved parliment and gather an assembly to reconstruct the Constitution-which will then be voted on by the public. which will then lead to the august votes of the new president. Speaking to my family in egypt today they told me the country is now back to work and the mood is still fairly jubilant. and the stock market is scheduled to re-open on wednesday( my advice buy egyptian stocks ;P).

Prince was happening man? 70+ people dead at a soccer game.

As-Salamu Alaykum ( may peace be upon you ) brothers and sisters of Egypt. This is sickening and not what sport should be about.

I think sports has less to do with what happened over there, from what i hear the security for this game was intentionally weakened because the visiting supporters participated in the Egyptian revolution, and the government wanted to provoke the melee. It's damn ugly when sports and fans are used like tools by the power..