Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barkley Hates on Knicks (as usual)

Default Barkley Hates on Knicks (as usual)

TNT's Charles Barkley took issue with those going ga-ga over the Knicks.
    "I get mad when people try to say they're back," Barkley said last night at the Garden, before the Knicks knocked off the Heat, 93-88. "They're not back. They're a lot more interesting. They're going to make the playoffs. But so is Philadelphia."
    Amar'e Stoudemire's signature phrase when he signed was, "The Knicks are back" and it's caught on in all marketing slogans.
    Barkley, the outspoken Hall of Famer turned broadcaster, also ripped Mike D'Antoni's speedball offense as he relaxed in the green room before the game with two writers.

Barkley was asked if D'Antoni's offense can win a title. The Phoenix resident who's seen a ton of Suns games across the decade laughed.
    PHOTOS: KNICKS BEAT MIAMI HEAT
    "I can already read the headline: Barkley bashes D'Antoni," Barkley said.
    "I don't think they can win with this system," he said. "I saw it in Phoenix. They had a lot more talent in Phoenix. A lot more. The three most critical areas of the game are defense, rebounding and turnovers. That's the fundamental flaws of that system. It's not going to end pretty.
    "I watched them every night during the last few years [under D'Antoni], and that system exaggerated how great a player you are. Go back to all the guys playing in Phoenix -- Barbosa, Diaw, Shawn Marion, Quentin Richardson. All those guys had inflated numbers. David Lee. They left that system and maybe those guys are not great players. As soon as you leave the system they kind of dropped off the face of the earth. One thing I'll say about Mike, he's made a lot of guys money."
    Barkley said Stoudemire should not be the midpoint's MVP.
    "He's in the conversation but [Chicago's] Derrick Rose is the MVP," Barkley said. "You can't have the MVP from the sixth seed."
    Barkley sees Carmelo Anthony with the Knicks sooner or later.
    "If he doesn't get dealt here by the trade deadline, he'll come play here next year," Barkley said. "I thought he should've taken the [Nets] deal. I like some of Jersey's pieces, Brook Lopez I like. They're going to Brooklyn in a couple of years. I thought he should've taken that deal."
    Barkley said the Knicks aren't close to being a conference title contender.
    "They're a long way away," Barkley said. "The four best teams in the East are head and shoulders above everybody else."
    This dude clearly hates the knicks.

Originally Posted by Oakman88

jeez chuck don't hold back...

i would've loved to see oakley come out of the stands and slap barkley in the face like the good ole days.

Veteran

how many championship rings does he have ?

and how many would he have pawned off to pay his gambling debts...

Veteran

He's a moron, but he isn't hating too hard. I mean, he sound like, maybe more tempered, than many KO ppl?

He had a lot of praise for Gallo, and Fields, after the game.

His comments about SSOL are typically asinine -- typical for him, and for the KO'ers who share his thinking.

But it's his conclusions that are most wrong. He sees facts and parts of reality, but he fails in drawing the most logical conclusions.

He waxes on how talented PHO was, and yet they still couldn't win.

Then goes on, as if it's a negative to D'ant/SSOL, that their peformance there and perceived abilities were monumentally ballooned, and over-performed to a spectacular degree.

Which is 100% true. Ironically, the past wk I've been saying much the same -- PHO was not an inherent juggernaut or great complete team, especially after trading Joe Johnson. The players' ascent and progression, and the team's ability to contend and shake up the league is as much to do w the coach and system, as you will find in the NBA, for a team's success being tethered to coach/system, vs just the blunt force ability of players on the court (which still matters the most, regardless).

Anyways, Barkley is staking himself as a NYK contrarian. Which is ok, and he's not entirely moronic for his anti-WeAreBack swagger. We haven't shown any metal in the playoffs yet, we haven't gotten there yet. He's basically betting against us.

A bad, losing bet. But I guess that's the Barkley way?

And he has a hard on for the Nets still. As f he's tryna stick it to us.(no HOMO)

Superstar

kinda agree with bark, but i'm all for baby steps too. Let's just make the playoffs first

he is a funny guy.. but he doesn't really know what he is talking about.. he is almost always wrong

Veteran

Barkley of all people has no right to say anything about whether or not someone can win a title...

Barkley actually gave the Knicks credit when he, Kenny and E.J. were doing the highlights of the game.So I really can't get on Barkley for saying those things prior to the game.

Originally Posted by Oakman88
    Barkley should be the last one to talk about defense. He was one of the worst defenders in the NBA.

Originally Posted by bogey1964
    Barkley should be the last one to talk about defense. He was one of the worst defenders in the NBA.
    I just think its funny anytime I hear this dude commentating on the Knicks he says something negative to take away from their shine.

The analogy that the sixers are in the playoffs is a bad one specially seeing how much further ahead in the standings we are than them.

Barkley bashes D'Antoni," Barkley said."I don't think they can win with this system," he said. "I saw it in Phoenix. They had a lot more talent in Phoenix. A lot more. The three most critical areas of the game are defense rebounding and turnovers. That's the fundamental flaws of that system. It's not going to rebounding and turnovers. That's the fundamental flaws of that system. It's not going to end pretty.
    Sometimes...

The truth hurts.

Veteran

"The three most critical areas of the game are defense, rebounding and turnovers. That's the fundamental flaws of that system."

^^When I read that part I smiled because he confirmed what I've been saying all along. I just don't care for him bashing the team. But he knows the game of BBALL. I'm just glad that someone in the NBA with some clout was seeing the same things I see.

The ssol system is designed for a team filled with all-stars playing in the Olympics. Its gear towards playground balling....where every player touches the rock until the open one takes the shot. It's more conditioned for the Euro league. Unfortunately for the Knicks...the open shot is not often taken by an AllStar.

Veteran

He's partially right. As presently constituted, compared to those phx teams, we are lacking talent. But those guys were developed players, ours are growing. Also, he has said if we get Melo, it changes things. Which it does. Drastically.

Originally Posted by Knicks4lyfe
    He's partially right. As presently constituted, compared to those phx teams, we are lacking talent. But those guys were developed players, ours are growing. Also, he has said if we get Melo, it changes things. Which it does. Drastically.