Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Barkley Hates on Knicks (as usual)

There's actually a lot of logic in what he's saying. For once I don't think he's "ripping" the Knicks.

It just hurts to hear. But guys, we need to be patient. Going from where the team has been the past few seasons, they're not going to win a championship overnight.

Originally Posted by Knicks4lyfe
    He's partially right. As presently constituted, compared to those phx teams, we are lacking talent. But those guys were developed players, ours are growing. Also, he has said if we get Melo, it changes things. Which it does. Drastically.
    He's also right about D'Antoni's system. It is flawed. To win in the playoffs you need to play defense and out-rebound your opponent. I think we've out-rebounded our opponent like twice this season. Normally we're getting out-rebounded by a double-digit margin.

Let me show you how important rebounding is...check this stat out:

In the best of seven conference finals last year, the winner of each game was the team with the most rebounds...all 7 of them. That's why D'Antoni was never able to take them to the big dance while in Phoenix. The system works well if you have a few all-stars, especially an all-star PG (Nash), but if not we should expect nothing more than what we're getting with the talent we have. The main reason we were able to beat Miami yesterday is because Bosh was out and they were lacking a low-post threat. That's who normally kills us by dominating the boards and paint, drawing double-teams and opening up Lebum and D'whistle.

Also, Carmelo Anthony alone isn't going to all of a sudden make D'Antoni's system work. I think he could have 5 all-stars on our team in his system and we still wouldn't win in the Finals. That's how flawed it is. At least our games will be much more entertaining than they have over the last 10 years and maybe we'll finally win a playoff series if we get Carmelo. One can only hope.

I've been around long enough to know that Charles Barkley never like The knicks regardless.
    Yeah he does makes some good points about this system..So to put it simply, I guess if we get better players and still get swept in the first round after a few years..Than the problem is D'antoni .

I mean some of us say be patient even though it's been 38 years of patience. Then some of us say well we need better players..But we still can't win because we play no defense..Then the problem is the coach.
    Because even though people are happy with just making the playoffs..We do need to be more then that just a playoff team in 2 to 3 years.
    Amar'e could get injured one of those years. So we can't be to patient.
    For This year it's okay to be patient because we're just starting to rebuild. I doubt we'll make any noise in the playoffs.
    I really wish we would though.
    But we really need to improve vastly if we ever want to be taken seriously by the league and some of these annoying annoucers..lol But I hope we start getting better .
    Last edited by johnnyrose; Jan 31, 2011 at 00:00.

Originally Posted by Oakman88
    This dude clearly hates the knicks.
    look he is right and wrong at the same time

the knicks are back cuz they can beat anyone and teams are scared of them, the problem is our inconsistency

If we got Melo then Barkley would shut his fat face

But I agreed with his analysis of Mike D's system, the flaws are huge....Mike D plays a system were players have to hit three point shots or the game is going to be very hard to win.

We beat the Heat with defense on Lebron. But we know that will never happen again.

We got lucky against a injured Miami team without Bosh who would have put the game away but the Knicks could have blown them out if they just hit half their shots.

Knicks need to keep the shooters....Williams, Walker, maybe even Gallo if he stops having games were he falls off the face of the earth and shoots terribly.

CHandler is still not a pure shooter and he bricks, Felton bricks more often than not....we don't have sharp shooters

We need a Kyle Korver, an ANthony Morrow, someone guranteed to light teams up from behind the arc if they are open....we really don't have that in anyone besides Gallo, Williams is top in 3 % but thats only been this year

Williams is better if he camps on the three line, Walker is streaky.

Unless we get a Center to help Amare and we can replace Douglas with a PG who can run a team on the court, I don't see us going far

With Melo we can win multiple rings.

Veteran

The system has its issues but so does every system...the point is D'Antoni needs to get a defensive-minded assistant and a big man who can block shots and rebound...

Veteran

Originally Posted by Paul1355
    look he is right and wrong at the same time

the knicks are back cuz they can beat anyone and teams are scared of them, the problem is our inconsistency

If we got Melo then Barkley would shut his fat face

But I agreed with his analysis of Mike D's system, the flaws are huge....Mike D plays a system were players have to hit three point shots or the game is going to be very hard to win.

We beat the Heat with defense on Lebron. But we know that will never happen again.

We got lucky against a injured Miami team without Bosh who would have put the game away but the Knicks could have blown them out if they just hit half their shots.

Knicks need to keep the shooters....Williams, Walker, maybe even Gallo if he stops having games were he falls off the face of the earth and shoots terribly.

CHandler is still not a pure shooter and he bricks, Felton bricks more often than not....we don't have sharp shooters

We need a Kyle Korver, an ANthony Morrow, someone guranteed to light teams up from behind the arc if they are open....we really don't have that in anyone besides Gallo, Williams is top in 3 % but thats only been this year

Williams is better if he camps on the three line, Walker is streaky.

Unless we get a Center to help Amare and we can replace Douglas with a PG who can run a team on the court, I don't see us going far

With Melo we can win multiple rings.
    Typically, it's pretty tough to win games when your team isn't hitting shots.

Our defense is poor bc we have poor defensive players, too few defensive aces, and a huge lack of depth ( or quality) at the 5.

These were problems there pre-season, inherent to our roster, which was to fight for a playoff spot.

That we have such poor defence, and such an incomplete roster, the better question is how and why we are as good and dangerous as we are.

he's alittle too critical of the Knicks.. I do agree however that we need better defense ndrebouing.. although our dehas gtten a bit better lately.. I think we're 1 or 2 pieces away.. he's a hater..

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

Who cares?
    Barkley's job is to entertain.

NYK is the biggest market in the NBA with the biggest and most active fanbase.

This is just a media move for more viewers.

Obviously its working.