Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567822 ... LastLast

Thread: Mozgov should be getting consistent minutes..

Veteran

He looked like the nerves could be a thing of the past. Really, that was his biggest issue, besides inexperience. He simply needs to play. Stat looked crazy out there at pf all game.

Superstar

Originally Posted by StEpHoN_mArBuRy
    He looks unbelievably good out there tonight (pause). We should've been developing him year round.
    He played great, Stoudemire said. Hes one of those players where he keeps working and keeps trying to improve. Hes a young player. Coaching staff did a great job.

What do you think practice is for? Do you honestly think gametime is the only time you can develop an NBA player's game?

This is what young players need to do. Mosgov obviously wasn't comfortable with the NBA game early on and it was extremely obvious with his play. He then worked his ass off in practice and with coaches so he could get more used to NBA ball and take advantage of another opportunity. How the hell can you say that the Knicks haven't been developing him? Do all NBA players not named Eddy Curry just twiddle their thumbs in between games?

Originally Posted by iJoe
    “He played great,” Stoudemire said. “He’s one of those players where he keeps working and keeps trying to improve. He’s a young player. Coaching staff did a great job.”

What do you think practice is for? Do you honestly think gametime is the only time you can develop an NBA player's game?

This is what young players need to do. Mosgov obviously wasn't comfortable with the NBA game early on and it was extremely obvious with his play. He then worked his ass off in practice and with coaches so he could get more used to NBA ball and take advantage of another opportunity. How the hell can you say that the Knicks haven't been developing him? Do all NBA players not named Eddy Curry just twiddle their thumbs in between games?
    How do you get comfortable in an NBA game if you don't play..

Superstar

Its called practice. Some players actually try to learn something when they participate. Others don't.

The more you practice, scrimmage,learn plays and get used to teammates, the more comfortable you get. Mosgov is young and coming from a completely different Euro game with different rules, style and system. You can't blame him for being anxious on the court early on. Hence, he learns and gets better off the court first.

Agreed practice does help. Some player like you said actually can translate what they learned in practice onto the playing floor effectively. Most players however need the minutes to actually learn how to play effectively. You'll always hear NBA players, coaches, commentators, etc say so and so does this and that in practice, but practice and actual in game experience are like night and day. We'll see if it'll work for Mozgov. I don't think it would've hurt to atleast given him 10 mins a game here and there rather than totally taking him out. But we'll see how it goes from here

Superstar

Agreed, it wouldn't hurt to give him a few minutes, but you have to agree that it was completely justified with the way he was playing early in the season. It was painful watching him.

I think it was the right call to bench him until he got more comfortable with the game and system. Did Dantoni wait too long? Its really tough to tell, but obviously Mosgov isn't the bust some people were complaining about.

My favorite part about Mosgov? He didn't start the game off that well, but didn't hang his head and kept playing. This guy wants to play and he wants to win. Thats something you can't teach.

A player is not ready until they're ready, meaning until you see it on the floor. You can't be wrong because a player suddenly shows growth. Hell the coach doesn't even know what a young guy like Moz will do when he gets in there. All you can do is coach em, coach em some more and hope it translates on to the court.

We happened to be in pinch so he gets a chance to show what he's learned. He seems to have been working hard in practice. He didn't look like he did against the Pistons at the start of season. I'm still not going to question Coach's decision to bench him. He was terrible at the start.

Moz's performance tnite definitely warrants more minutes. This is just one game however. I need to see more from him. I'd also like to see more of AR to gage whether or not he's learned anything in practices over these last forty or so games too.

AR did look a bit more calm in the few minutes he did get. He didn't jack up any questionable shots, moved the ball, snagged a few boards. It's a start..

Originally Posted by ronoranina
    A player is not ready until they're ready, meaning until you see it on the floor. You can't be wrong because a player suddenly shows growth. Hell the coach doesn't even know what a young guy like Moz will do when he gets in there. All you can do is coach em, coach em some more and hope it translates on to the court.

We happened to be in pinch so he gets a chance to show what he's learned. He seems to have been working hard in practice. He didn't look like he did against the Pistons at the start of season. I'm still not going to question Coach's decision to bench him. He was terrible at the start.

Moz's performance tnite definitely warrants more minutes. This is just one game however. I need to see more from him. I'd also like to see more of AR to gage whether or not he's learned anything in practices over these last forty or so games too.

AR did look a bit more calm in the few minutes he did get. He didn't jack up any questionable shots, moved the ball, snagged a few boards. It's a start..
    Agreed.. Randolph woulda put up atleast 5 shots if this were earlier in the season even with that short amount of time he got. I really hope he plays more somehow too. It'll give some of our rotation regulars a good breather

One thing that's really impressive to me as far as Moz goes is that he played 40 min. and had 2 TOs.

That's growth right there.. Keep it up Timo!

Loved what I saw as well

But...it still was just one game!

What I loved was how he started out slow and he couldve just got down on himself but he kept digging and kudos to his teamates for continuing to look for him as well as Mike D sticking with him despite the slow start!

But lets still give this kid time because I saw a lot that still needs to be worked on.

1.He was out of position on Defense a lot of the time (which resulted in him getting 4 fouls)

2. While his hands have gotten much much better, he still showed butter fingers on some plays.

3. The Pistons are a small team, so we have to see what he does against some players with size

That all said, like I said the hands improved greatly, he showed confidence in his shot (which he showed he can hit in the Pre Season) and FT shooting was excellent, and he hit the boards like a beast on both ends.

He'll be up and down (after all he is a rook) but lets hope he stays in the rotation moving forward!

Bottom line is we still need to be patient with this kid.

Originally Posted by New New York
    Loved what I saw as well

What I loved was how he started out slow and he couldve just got down on himself but he kept digging and kudos to his teamates for continuing to look for him as well as Mike D sticking with him despite the slow start!

But lets still give this kid time because I saw a lot that still needs to be worked on.

1.He was out of position on Defense a lot of the time (which resulted in him getting 4 fouls)

2. While his hands have gotten much much better, he still showed butter fingers on some plays.

3. The Pistons are a small team, so we have to see what he does against some players with size

That all said, like I said the hands improved greatly, he showed confidence in his shot (which he showed he can hit in the Pre Season) and FT shooting was excellent, and he hit the boards like a beast on both ends.

He'll be up and down (after all he is a rook) but lets hope he stays in the rotation moving forward!

Good post.

There's no reason NOT to give him at least a few minutes every game. And who knows, he seems like he can get quite a bit of minutes consistently.

The reason our bigs excelled in this game is cause the Pistons have no bigs either. They are a smaller team then us. Now if our boys did this against a better team like say the Lakers, then i'd be more psyched.

They ddi look great against the Pistons though. I'd love to see Dantoni go to a 10 man rotation. Keep our guys fresh for the run

Loved what I saw as well

The Knicks as a team are out of position on defense most times. Why expect more from a rookie?

I saw one pass that he missed on that he should've caught. A bounce pass that would have lead to a dunk. He'll get there.

I dont expect this kid to dominate Dwight Howard nor should you. But I think he can hold his own against the average bigs in the league.

Originally Posted by StEpHoN_mArBuRy
    Agreed practice does help. Some player like you said actually can translate what they learned in practice onto the playing floor effectively. Most players however need the minutes to actually learn how to play effectively. You'll always hear NBA players, coaches, commentators, etc say so and so does this and that in practice, but practice and actual in game experience are like night and day. We'll see if it'll work for Mozgov. I don't think it would've hurt to atleast given him 10 mins a game here and there rather than totally taking him out. But we'll see how it goes from here

Practice helps some. No where near as much as playing an actual game. The intensity level is so much different. Plus playing in a game you get to learn your opponents at a much faster rate. Moz would be much further along if he was given 10-15 minutes a game. Just looking at Fields development from earlier in the season shows you this.

Whats funny is it took a game like this to open MDA's eyes. He actually said 23 & 14 I think I'll try it again. If the kid had gone for a respectable 10 points 8 rebounds he would be back on the bench.

Veteran

Loved what I saw as well

Great points made.

We can't get too excited over one game. It's no different from those of us who had our moments thinking that Earl Barron was a full-time NBA caliber starter because of that stretch of games he had for us...gotta prove more than just a limited flash of talent here or there.

That being said it's good that D'Antoni played him, he runs the floor well and looks much more comfortable in the NBA game than he did two months ago, and I think he's going to serve as a solid 15-20 minute guy in the short term and maybe crack the starting rotation next year (he's not at that point where he's better than Ronny Turiaf just yet).

I hope D'Antoni can do the same thing with Anthony Randolph. AR grabbed 5 rebounds in 8:30 and for once we didn't get outrebounded and I think if AR just focuses on rebounding and defense and lets the game come to him offensively he has a chance to still make an impact this season