Are we a fastbreak team or a fast shot team??

moneyg

Starter
Currently we are ranked 15th in the league at 14pts a game via the fastbreak...

i would have figured we would be higher than that.

we were promised running up and down the court.. high flying dunks.. 3point shot off the fast break....

doenst show up in the stats...

so what are we playing smallball for???...im confused....

defense promotes fast breaks.. quick shots promotes fastbreak points for our opponents...thats clear..

the funny thing is that a team like the bobcats.... average 12.8 points per game via the fastbreak this year..... and last year they were at 13.9

when i look at how low the bobcats points per game are... and them having a higher percentage of their points via the fast break.. is even more confusing for a half court, defensive team under larry brown (currently silas)..

so what r we tryin to accomplish????

oh yeah and we are 29th in opponents points in the paint per game...29th..

nyk1986

Benchwarmer
Currently we are ranked 15th in the league at 14pts a game via the fastbreak...

i would have figured we would be higher than that.

we were promised running up and down the court.. high flying dunks.. 3point shot off the fast break....

doenst show up in the stats...

so what are we playing smallball for???...im confused....

defense promotes fast breaks.. quick shots promotes fastbreak points for our opponents...thats clear..

the funny thing is that a team like the bobcats.... average 12.8 points per game via the fastbreak this year..... and last year they were at 13.9

when i look at how low the bobcats points per game are... and them having a higher percentage of their points via the fast break.. is even more confusing for a half court, defensive team under larry brown (currently silas)..

so what r we tryin to accomplish????

oh yeah and we are 29th in opponents points in the paint per game...29th..

I think you answered your own question in the 6th part of your posting. Defense promotes fast breaks. We do not play D hard enough. The Spurs are a prime example of the blending of talents and schemes over the years. Pop has always been more of a grind it out east coast type of coach giving the ball to Robinson or Duncan on the block and working around that, this year he has allowed Parker and Ginobili more freedom to run while maintaining the Spurs defensive schemes.

We are playing small ball because, right now, that's our best lineup. We need bigs (or to give some on our roster more on the job training to develop). I understsand why D'Antoni hasn't done this though, he simply wants to keep his job. How many more cities would hire him after two failed attempts with his "7 seconds or less"? He would be an ideal assistant coach and I think he'd be great in NY as such.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Rebounds also start fast breaks. We give opponents far too many 2nd chance points.

I really think Anthony Randolph meeting his potential is all we need, plus Fields (or some other starting SG) becoming a knock down 3-point shooter. Randolph is our best rebounder. I don't see why it's so difficult for him to become a Camby/Jeffries hybrid for us. That would have more of an impact on this team than trading everybody for Melo. Unfortunately, it seems Randolph's IQ is what's stopping him.

Sage

Rotation player
As others have already said, defense and turnovers are what lead to fastbreak points. We're just a fast shot team.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
We become a fast break team when we become a defensive team. That simple. And in the words of Wilt Chamberlain 'you can't score without the ball'.

If D'Antoni's revolutionary/alternate/unconventional - whatever you wanna call it - style relies on inflated possessions and thereby chalking up numbers, then we need to work on getting the ball from one end to the other without initiating the offense from behind our defensive baseline.

This team could be incredible if they had a reliable defence. Why don't they?

Short rotation? Defence not enforced? They're shit defensive players? They're lazy?

Someone, please, send me a message in a ****ing bottle or something!!

All I can say for now is, that although the system we run - which isn't SSOL a lot of the time - has its merits and shown some results, it just doesn't fit this teams needs. We've constructed an offensive roster, what we need is a defensive M.O.

The offensive genius, IMO, is failing.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
I know I'm going to have to prop up my previous post for the MD faithful here, so I'll elude to a video posted in a thread recently.

http://www.theknicksblog.com/?s=d'antoni+defense&submit.x=0&submit.y=0&submit=Search

If we have an advanced scout, then why is our rebounding and defensive rotation so poor? And our zone, laughable. Are we reliant on scouting for our defensive sets? In the SA loss, not surprisingly, we were destroyed on the glass!

* And, funnily enough, TP had a huge game, 21-13, and the 'dropping off Duncan' still had 21-16.

We trumped the Spurs with an offensive onslaught at home, they whipped us in SA with defence. Or as Mike puts it in the video, "we didn't score enough points".

We have Anthony Randolph rotting on the pine, The Gov only cracked the rotation recently because Williams was banned for the biff, our players are spent, 6th spot dwindling, Raymond sucking for air and STAT's knees flailing.

Alvin Gentry refined this system with a defensive bench.

Mike is refining nothing and the team is suffering for it.

Toons

is the Bo$$
rebounds create fast breaks....rebounds, outlet pass, fast break. thats how it goes. You rarely get a fast break off of a made shot.

nyk_nyk

All Star
rebounds create fast breaks....rebounds, outlet pass, fast break. thats how it goes. You rarely get a fast break off of a made shot.

Defense AND Rebounds creates fast breaks. Good defense would lead to more though.

A blocked shot can lead to a fast break
A steal can lead to a fast break
Deflected pass (defense) can lead to a fast break

Toons

is the Bo$$
Defense AND Rebounds creates fast breaks. Good defense would lead to more though.

A blocked shot can lead to a fast break
A steal can lead to a fast break
Deflected pass (defense) can lead to a fast break

im generalizing guy
rebounds happen more frequently than a blocked shot, steal and deflected pass combined.
we were leading the league in blocks
i think 9th in steals
and i dont know a stat for deflected passes, but when we played douglas and felton together, we shut down passing lanes....
none of which led to fast breaks.
yet we are outrebouded almost every game, and lack a good transition offense off of a fast break.
think about it, with david lee, we rebounded well, and davids outlet pass was one of the best in the nba, which led to many fast break points....
check out GS

Toons

is the Bo$$
again, we are not a bad defensive team, we are 15tth or 16th. the middle of the pack.
but we are almost hot last in rebounds.

nyk_nyk

All Star
im generalizing guy
rebounds happen more frequently than a blocked shot, steal and deflected pass combined.
we were leading the league in blocks
i think 9th in steals
and i dont know a stat for deflected passes, but when we played douglas and felton together, we shut down passing lanes....
none of which led to fast breaks.
yet we are outrebouded almost every game, and lack a good transition offense off of a fast break.
think about it, with david lee, we rebounded well, and davids outlet pass was one of the best in the nba, which led to many fast break points....
check out GS

Such an incorrect statement. Go back and watch some games to correct yourself.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
again, we are not a bad defensive team, we are 15tth or 16th. the middle of the pack.
but we are almost hot last in rebounds.

Agreed. It is insane how many 2nd chance points we give up because of poor rebounding. When we do get a rebound off a miss, we are very good in transition. We are not terrible defensively, somewhere in the middle. We need those rebounds and outlet passes. Anthony Randolph could be so good for us.

Toons

is the Bo$$
Such an incorrect statement. Go back and watch some games to correct yourself.

nothing worth mentioning man, come on, are you gonaa nit pick at everything? i already said i was speaking in general. If it had led to any amount of fastbreaks worth mentioning, we would be rated higher in points off fast breaks. So i will correct myself, they led to very few points off the break.