Dude doesn't rebound, box out... or even attempt to play defense. Seriously... he doesn't even put his hand up to contest shots. And it's not just him but he's the damn leader of the team... if the leader doesn't give a **** the why the **** would anyone else?
He lets all opposing Big men come in and have career nights, I understand he doesn't want to foul but he just doesn't play D!
Barganina, Brand(x2),Dirk,Blatche etc
All have had big nights against Amare,he is so bad defensively we have Williams on Brand. Seriously for 100 million you think he could buckle down for a Q or two and play D.
He also has this selfishness when he tries to carry the team and tends to force bad shots, He needs to go back to passing like he did when we had that run where he was averaging 4 assist.
Amar'e makes derrick rose look like a pro in Defense..I love Amar'e But his defense is horrible..But he did say antoni never really teaches defense...
This is a Huge effin problem !!! if we keep playing so pathetic like we have been these pass 3 to 4weeks..That I don't know.I'm slowly losing confidence with this team. I don't want to, But I'm not seeing anything positive or exciting about the knicks of late..I really hope they win this next game..We need it !
he played d early on.....could it be that he's playing banged up? with swolen knees, he cant be superman
the whole team didn't have their hands up when they defended in the 4th quarter.what does mike d'antoni teach them in practice?
I'm just saying his Ball IQ is not that high really, watch him for a stretch on D sometimes he looks lost except for maybe a weak side block or two.
ANd he doesn't even try to get a rebound,lead by example dive for maybe a loose ball or two amp the team up defensively that's what Max players should do.
All Max players take on the Challenge of guarding the opposing teams best player
Kobe,LeBron,Duncan,Kg,Durant etc all play D and constantly talking on D and leading by example. STat seems to only care about O, to the point he has tunnel vision and tries to score on 3 people(see 4q's).
he thinks playing no defense will prolong his NBA career and it will....more $$$$ dog
It's because of his technicals, he's afraid to get into foul trouble and he might get T'd up and eventually suspended not to mention when he's off the court the nobody can really pick up the slack and then of course he's banged up
Amr'e is what he is. I'm grateful though that he's with us! He's made the Knicks respectable again. His swagger and attitude alone are worth $50 mil.
We had wimps like Al Harrington as main guys in the past 2 years. Guys Amar'e would wipe the floor with. Nobody took us seriously, cause they knew we didn't have leadership and toughness.
Amar'e brought that respect back you just can't f with him. Felton and Shwane Williams are two other guys with pride.
I'd rather lose but get respected and leave the floor with my chin up than get beaten and laughed at and abused.
To answer your question: I don't know why Amar'e doesn't play defense. I can only speculate on the reason.
But as I said I'm glad we have him. Got mad respect for the guy, he's a true role model for kids. From nothing to something.
I think you are missing some things with Amare that have some affect on his lacking defense, but great overall play.
1. He Is top 20 in Minutes in the league. Only 3 PF log more minutes Aldrigde, Gasol, and Blake.
2. He is 4th in the League in Blocked shots. This is very, very good especially from the PF position.
3. He has some knee pain that he has been dealing with. After Micro-Fracture surgery his knees will never be 100 but he makes the best of it, and hardly misses any game action.
4. He is our leading scorer. Because people think of Amare as a "POST" player they forget the constant dependency for big time baskets. He does everything Dirk does and more. Until there is someone else that can take the burden off of Amare his Rebounding numbers may be slimmer than they should.
5. Although many think he should be a better re-bounder, he is top 15 in the league in this category. Too often fans and media get caught up in the benchmark of 10 rebounds a game average. There are only 6 players in the league doing that right now. I agree he should be better here.
6. Lack of a strong defensive Center on the Knicks. Amare often help but even with Timmy's small emergence, along with Turiaf's zeal there really isn't an able big that can contribute to establishing a tough, defensive front-court.
7. Just as a comparison. Amare gets more rebounds per 48min that Bosh. He gets almost twice as many offensive rebounds a game that Bosh. 0.7 more rebounds a game than Bosh. Almost 3 times as many Blocks per game than Bosh. He also has a higher FG % carrying the Knicks while Bosh is receiving layups from Lebron and Wade.
Overall, there are only 3 MINOR areas Amare can improve on.
1. Cut down on Technical Fouls. He is a leader now and must evolve. He is the reason for the Bench incedient that may have caused the Suns the Title.
2. Rebound improvement. He can improve a little in this area. Probably into next season.
3. Passing threat. He does get assists and I don't want him to lose the attack mentality but all great big men can setup team mates for EASY baskets. Duncan, Gasol, Garnett, and Shaq all do a great job of this.
Overall, we should appreciate Amare's overall game and look to refine the other 4 spots on the floor with depth and added talent. Boston has 4 frontcourt players, we have 1. T. Douglas and S. Willams aren't doing anything come playoffs...(i.e. see S. Williams end of game choking vs. Sixers).
Our bench players don't play. Azibuke hurt and who knows. Randolph lost in limbo. Mason Jr career basically over.
BOTTOM LINE IS AMARE IS EVERYTHING YOU WANT IN A PLAYER. HE IS PROVING HE IS EVEN BETTER THAN BOSH. IF YOU THINK AMARE IS ANY PART OF THE PROBLEM, YOU BETTER CHEAK YOURSELF.