Why doesn't Amare play D?

The Garden '95

Benchwarmer
One thing i learned growing up is that defense is 90% mental and its how hard you care for defense and thats why melo and stat dont play any.they obviously try but it isnt a passion to them to try and lock someone down.where as on offense their passionate thats why there such great scorers.

iJoe

Rotation player
"Amare, box out plz"

"Hey STAT...make playa for rebounds and don't play lazy"

Amare just fixed his two biggest defensive woes.

:teeth: :teeth:

I always think its funny when people say "just teach them how to do it then"

You can't teach a guy to play hard all the time or care about the things he'll get no highlight reels over.

If it were that easy to teach players everything, there would be no flops in the NBA.

MusketeerX

Rotation player
Amar'e was never taught defense. He has said publicly, that Alvin Gentry i the only coach who ever taught him defensive principles. Defense takes commitment, but it also takes defensive IQ... seeing the ball and your man. Knowing how to judge what a post player is going to do when you are defending him.

Its about recognizing where your teammates are and knowing when to help and when not to help. This can all be taught. Defense can be taught... don't listen to anyone who says D can't be taught.

carlhil2

Benchwarmer
Quick question, how come i have never seen a "why doesn't David Lee play defense", thread, i mean, he is better at it than D. Lee, no?

Still a pressing issue now even though
we have a legit Big man to back him up
This guy doesn't simply care on defense and
now that his Jumper is off he's TRASH!

Paul1355

All Star
Dude doesn't rebound, box out... or even attempt to play defense. Seriously... he doesn't even put his hand up to contest shots. And it's not just him but he's the damn leader of the team... if the leader doesn't give a **** the why the **** would anyone else?

He lets all opposing Big men come in and have career nights, I understand he doesn't want to foul but he just doesn't play D!

Barganina, Brand(x2),Dirk,Blatche etc

All have had big nights against Amare,he is so bad defensively we have Williams on Brand. Seriously for 100 million you think he could buckle down for a Q or two and play D.

He also has this selfishness when he tries to carry the team and tends to force bad shots, He needs to go back to passing like he did when we had that run where he was averaging 4 assist.

because Mike D and Mike Woodson don't teach him to play defense nor do they hold him accountable for his poor defense. We know Amare can play good defense.