Why Amare Plays D D D D D D a retaliation thread.

This DUDE is 4th

fourth

NUMBER 4 in the league in blocks.

ahead of dwight howard

tim duncan

camby
gasol
lopez
josh smith
okafor
hibbert
dalambert
marc gasol

The above named players are all considered defensive minded players who control the paint with the best of them in the NBA today, and Amare has better overall defensive statistics than alllllll of them.

and averages a steal a game at the center position

and dudes dont score on him down low, most of our defensive give ups are open threes, and mid range jumpers, the only time teams start going crazy with the lay ups is when amare gets drawn out of the paint, or hes riding the bench

realistically I believe amare is having a 2nd team all nba defense caliber year.

if you block more shots than dwight howard

outscore the man you are guarding every night

and are a power forward playing 30-35 minutes every night at the center position

with nooooooooo help

Ide say youre doing a pretty good job.

This thread is almost laughable, Blocks don't mean a damn thing to me. We were once the league Leaders in blocks but oppents were still averaging BIG numbers in the paint against us.

Amare plays no D any offensive big man on the other team someone else checks them because Amare D is horrible and when he gets in foul trouble he just stops trying altogether.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Amare plays no D any offensive big man on the other team someone else checks them because Amare D is horrible and when he gets in foul trouble he just stops trying altogether.

Once bitten, twice shy - mean anything to you dude? I don't agree with DFDH's All NBA 2nd call, but that's over the top.

He's played some brilliant defence this year, some not so. His one on one and help D are both really good, his timing is off a lot under the hoop in a contested situation.

metrocard

Legend
Good thread.

Blocks do mean something to me, especially since Knicks were probably the worst shot blocking team of the decade in the last 10 years.

elcol

Rotation player
blocks = the fact that we allow the other team to penetrate at will. right?
im still glad that hes getting those blocks though.

Sage

Rotation player
Blocks are definitely a sign of good defense, but a better one is points allowed.

Obviously as a team, the Knicks allow a lot of points, don't have any stats but I don't think Amar'e is particularly great at shutting his opponent down, plus I think quite a few of those blocks come from a guard coming down the lane, not really the person he's guarding.

serendipity10

Benchwarmer
Stoudemire is a huge improvement to David Lee, constantly putting up MVP numbers. It still looks like to me Stoudemire could be even better, he and the team need to box out better and the team also needs to improve their defensive awareness. Stat has been a surprise on defense, I thought his defense was similar to David Lee but I was wrong.

JazRedGT

Benchwarmer
Stoudemire is a huge improvement to David Lee, constantly putting up MVP numbers. It still looks like to me Stoudemire could be even better, he and the team need to box out better and the team also needs to improve their defensive awareness. Stat has been a surprise on defense, I thought his defense was similar to David Lee but I was wrong.

Agreed^

I've seen some great effort defensively from Stat this year. The only times I dont see him try is, like was said before, when he gets into foul trouble. As important as he is to our offense I have no problems with him playin matador defense when he has 5 fouls in the 4th quarter. Getting Melo would allow him to be more aggressive on the other end. Also Mozgov getting a few blocks a game and Turiaf laying a couple people out a game with some hard fouls would help Amare too.

Lol the same dude who idolizes David Lee is going after STAT for his defense? Something doesn't add up here..lol

Admittedly Amare's defense isn't the best, but whats sad is even with that said his defense is still leaps and bounds better than Lee's as pointed out in this thread already. You'd be lucky to see Lee even record 1 blocks in the span of 3 games, and forget about Lee keeping his man in front of him, or keeping strong post scorers from destroying him in the paint.

iJoe

Rotation player
Sad to say, but I'm with those who think Amare's defense is overrated. Has he improved? Most definitely.

My problem with him? He only has eyes for the ball. He's totally not interested in boxing out and you often find him losing track of his man as he's only interested in blocking the shot of the driver.

Then again... Camby is a pretty soft defender who does the same exact thing as Amare and won Defensive player of the year. Well... guess he rebounds a bit more. So if all you care about are numbers, then Amare should be up for Defensive player of the year if he rebounds a bit more.

MusketeerX

Rotation player
Amar'e is a better defender than he is given credit for, but he is not a great on ball defender. He is pretty good coming off the weak side, and his blocks are up because guards penetrate at will; but, he is better than most people say he is.