Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why can't we just wait for Melo in free agency?

Default Why can't we just wait for Melo in free agency?

wouldn't we be able to keep chandler if we get him in free agency?

id rather lose chandler to get him now than to keep chandler and get him as a FA..we'll have plenty of depth without chandler...plus theres no guarantee we'll get him after the season

I heard Dolan.. our idiot owner is really pushing Donnie to get something done before the trade deadline. If the trade stands as it's been reported I guess I don't have a problem with it, but yeah ideally I'd like to wait til FA also. But also like Hayato said theres no guarantee we'd get him in the off season. Trading for him guards against any odd **** happening like Melo changing his mind, the Nuggets magically reaching the NBA finals and he decides to stay around, etc

Veteran

I was reading the latest from Donnie and he acknowledges the Melo discussions but it doesn't sound like it's anywhere done yet. Sounded like it was like buying a new car, he's decided on the model but he had only visited the first dealer at this point. I think he phrased it like "He was getting a feeling of what teams wanted".

My gut felling is Melo will be traded by the trade deadline, the dark horse to me is the Nets, they wanted him, they have the assets, if they can only convince him that Brooklyn is not that far removed from NY and can get him to extend.

Wouldn't we not be able to keep Chandler anyway? He'll ask for more than what we'll be able to afford next season.

If all it's going to cost is Chandler, Randolph and Curry, it's not such a bad idea to get Melo now.

Yeah no way you get Melo and keep Will. You'd have to renounce Wills' bird rights to have the cap space. Besides, Will, Curry, and Randolph for Melo is a damn good deal to me.

Originally Posted by la2ny
    Yeah no way you get Melo and keep Will. You'd have to renounce Wills' bird rights to have the cap space. Besides, Will, Curry, and Randolph for Melo is a damn good deal to me.
    Chris Mannix from SI.com says the deal is not close, and that the Nugs are trying to lure other teams.

But I would pull the trigger on that deal if the Nugs would take it. But the Nugs GM would probably fired if all he got in return for Carmelo Anthony was Corey Brewer and Wilson Chandler. The deal makes no sense for the Nuggets unless the Twolves are giving up their 2011 unprotected first draft pick which I doubt.

Originally Posted by knickzrulezH20
    Chris Mannix from SI.com says the deal is not close, and that the Nugs are trying to lure other teams.

But I would pull the trigger on that deal if the Nugs would take it. But the Nugs GM would probably fired if all he got in return for Carmelo Anthony was Corey Brewer and Wilson Chandler. The deal makes no sense for the Nuggets unless the Twolves are giving up their 2011 unprotected first draft pick which I doubt.
    Yea, I figured they'd want to drag it out hoping NY sweetens it, but me personally I'd leave it at this barring a few nobodies to make salaries match.

Minny has Kahn as GM so who knows. I do know that Anthony Randolph over Kemba Walker, Jimmer Fredette, Jared Sullinger, Enes Kanter, Terrence Jones, Brandon Knight, etc. is a good deal. He's better than them all and it's proven. He could be Minnesota's Lamar Odom(Rambis runs the triangle) so it does make sense. Throw in them getting Rubio next year, they may not need a 1st round draft pick in this weak class.

Originally Posted by AmareForPresident
    because we can trade chandler, randolph, and curry for him by feb 24th

There is no need to keep Chandler. Apparently the plan is to get 3 superstars until 2012. STAT, Melo and either Chris Paul or Deron Williams. That would be 3 max contracts. We need to save the money from a possible Chandler extension for Paul/Williams.

Originally Posted by knickzrulezH20

thats so funny. thats why i use my own discretion with these things. Why do you have to ''lure'' another team in for an nba superstar? He's carmelo anthony....no lure needed. Every team in the nba knows melo wants to go to the knicks. I read a quote from a denver official saying that "the new jersey deal was so strong, they feel they deserve more for their superstar''. the deadline will pass, and we will have our version of Gasol for kwame brown.

Originally Posted by Sprewell-Houston
    There is no need to keep Chandler. Apparently the plan is to get 3 superstars until 2012. STAT, Melo and either Chris Paul or Deron Williams. That would be 3 max contracts. We need to save the money from a possible Chandler extension for Paul/Williams.
    chandler has to go if we get melo. i agree with all the posts about how much money he will demand, to add to it, he and melo play the same position

Danger of waiting is if the CBA allows for a "Franchise Tag" similar to football (bet your lives Dan Gilbert and whatever Canadian owns the Raptors will be pushing for it), which would prevent certain guys from becoming free agents.

Originally Posted by KBlack25
    Danger of waiting is if the CBA allows for a "Franchise Tag" similar to football (bet your lives Dan Gilbert and whatever Canadian owns the Raptors will be pushing for it), which would prevent certain guys from becoming free agents.

That would pretty much destroy the NBA imo.

Originally Posted by AmareForPresident
    If you can get Melo for that?...Geeze...start the plane!!