Broussard: Lakers Nuggets in prelim. talks for Bynum, Melo swap.

KBlack25

Starter
if he goes to the lakers..we should all fear for our lives. i dont think he'll leave LA if he gets traded there..kinda like cliff lee. it seemed he loved the yanks but he got traded to texas and everybody thought right after the season, he'd go to the yanks as a FA, but that certainly didnt happen

Maybe...unless he realizes how difficult it will be for him to co-exist with Kobe.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
It'd be kind of weird for the Lakers to do this. Gasol and Bynum are dominant.

Keep this in my mind, Melo's favorite player growing up is Bernard King, and...is his favorite team the Knicks?

That could hold a lot of power in a decision.

Bernard, send him an invite!

Red

TYPE-A
How much disdain does the Nuggets owner have for the Knicks? Enough to trade Melo in conference never to see the NBA finals again. Man I hope not. Denver is going to try to screw us royally fellas. Early on in this Melo drama it was mentioned La La wanted to be in NY OR LA to have better opportunities concerning her career.

Also past history the Lakers always seem to get their man. I remember them getting Jabbar when we had first dibs.

This is a horrific development...

Ok then, we'll just take NeNe or Bynum (whom I offered to trade Gallo for last year) instead, either this yr or in FAgency.

No issues here, we win either way. Den giving away their franchise player to a rival...smh

For a rental? Smh more.

And then will be cashed strapped with Bynum and/or NeNe although he will be a FA (Bynum salary is 15mil next yr) or forced to give up NeNe

Perfect for us if we can add another big like NeNe or Bynum.

Remember " a man with nothing to lose as everything to gain"

Donnie has put us in the perfect position. We can't lose. Plus we might sign Melo over the summer anyway

I just can't see Melo being able to play with Kobe. They both need the ball in their hands all the time.

Obviously LeBron works with Wade and Bosh because he's such a great facilitator.

I think that this is partly just investigation into possibilities by the Lakers, but I think it's more of an attempt by the Nuggets to put pressure on the Knicks.

Markutis

Benchwarmer
I don't think this is going to happen, whatever say the media or the Lakers. Nuggets owner wants to save money and rebuild with young cheap players. That's why Denver FO has asked everyone for 3 things:

1- Salary cap relief
2- Young prospects
3- First round picks

Lakers can't offer 2 out of 3. Bynum is a young solid player but also overpayed and injury prone. I don't see the Nuggets eating his contract.

tiger0330

Legend
I don't think this is going to happen, whatever say the media or the Lakers. Nuggets owner wants to save money and rebuild with young cheap players. That's why Denver FO has asked everyone for 3 things:

1- Salary cap relief
2- Young prospects
3- First round picks

Lakers can't offer 2 out of 3. Bynum is a young solid player but also overpayed and injury prone. I don't see the Nuggets eating his contract.
Or trading him to a team that beat the pants off of you in your last 2 playoff appearances. I have a feeling NJ is not out of it, they could give Denver 1,2 and 3.

Speak3asy

Benchwarmer
Melo would go to LA. No doubt he would be welcome and be the man for year's to come. Kobe's assists are up big and he is on the trip dub verge nightly.

That means he understands he isn't what he used to be and Melo coming in helps that team for the next 3-4 years win titles then Melo is the main guy in his prime of 29-31. I think we should be looking over our shoulder on this one and need to get this thing done NOW!

skisloper

Starter
Melo would go to LA. No doubt he would be welcome and be the man for year's to come. Kobe's assists are up big and he is on the trip dub verge nightly.

That means he understands he isn't what he used to be and Melo coming in helps that team for the next 3-4 years win titles then Melo is the main guy in his prime of 29-31. I think we should be looking over our shoulder on this one and need to get this thing done NOW!

I could not agree with you more....
For the Lakers this makes alot of sense.

insanity4289

Benchwarmer

1- Salary cap relief
2- Young prospects
3- First round picks

Well Bynum's contract is only guaranteed for 1 year so its really not that lucrative of a contract to pick up. Not much of a risk fiscally

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
Melo to LA would be smart on LA's part. Kobe is aging, turning 33 and they will need a star there to replace him; he will be 37 when his contract is up.
Bynum is a risk! Health issues, still raw, needs to refine his game.... Huge risk to be the center piece of the trade for your Franchise guy; especially after what they went through with Kmart!
L.A. doesn't make me nervous, Teams like Dallas or Houston make me nervous. Cuban has made it clear he would take the risk with Melo and make a trade with Denver. Not sure what Dallas gives up... but the tadem of Dirk, Melo, Kidd and Tyson chandler!!! Man, that might make Melo change his mind and winds up parking his ass in Dallas... Houston has draft picks and young talent they could give up... It's a risk but I trully believe in the end, if Melo's resolve is tested with the possibility of leaving money on the table tdo to the new CBA just to sign with NY....... That is a leap of faith! I think he ends up resigning with whomever he is traded to unless it's Cleveland or Toronto....
That's why if Walsh wants Melo, they need to sweeten the pot. If you are the Knicks and want him you can not leave it to the off season and fate, you just can't too many outside factors that you can't control that will be working against you!

la2ny

Starter
As interesting as hell as it would be to see Kobe and Melo suit up on the same team, I can't see it. This was leaked from Denver to get New York to try and up the offer or get New Jersey back into the talks.

Although I do believe the Lakers have considered this and discussed a deal with Denver because of Kobe aging, and Bynum not living up to his yet to be fulfilled potential. Kobe still has 2 years left at a high level before I see him fall completely off mainly because off his work ethic. With that in mind Melo would be the top dog for his prime years of 28 y.o.+ keeping L.A. in it for several more years, especially if the Dwight Howard rumors or even feasable then their window for titles would open right back up.

I doubt the lakers would want to trade bynum,he's one of their best defensive players and why would they trade him if the lakers are playing bad because of their defense?