So from now through the summer of 2012, which two max players do you want to get?

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Either through trade or free agency.

This thread isn't about the chances you think of it happening for the most part (obviously we're not getting Kobe and Griffin), this is about who you WANT.

For me, it's Melo and Howard. I'd love to see that front court offensively and defensively and Melo and STAT would be a great scoring tandem.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
The regs know who I want, or should anyway. It's Melo and Paul all day..

I've warmed a lot to the prospect of a Melo acquisition over the last couple of months. It just makes sense on so many levels.

Getting Paul is just a no brainer. HOF PG in a PG dependant system. Common guys. He'd be absolutely sick on our team w the two other stars.

Both players along w Amare would give us the best core of any team in the league, in my opinion.

Go get er done Donnie!

I'd actually rather see Paul and Howard team up with Amare, Gallo, and either Fields, or possible another shooter.

I mean just think of CP3 and Amare running the pick and roll with Howard down low and Gallo on the edge...

iSaYughh

Starter
The regs know who I want, or should anyway. It's Melo and Paul all day..

I've warmed a lot to the prospect of a Melo acquisition over the last couple of months. It just makes sense on so many levels.

Getting Paul is just a no brainer. HOF PG in a PG dependant system. Common guys. He'd be absolutely sick on our team w the two other stars.

Both players along w Amare would give us the best core of any team in the league, in my opinion.

Go get er done Donnie!

+1

I've never been sour on Paul, but I recently watched a lot of his games...And wow.

So many devalue him here. Toons (not singling out, it's many ppl saying it and he's just a big name poster) recently said what's the difference even between CP3 and Felton but a few assists.

I'd go so far as to say he is Lebron-like in his ability to own a game. Lebron of course does this through more explicit domination. But at the end of the day, CP3 owns his team and the games like no other -- since Lebron when he was with the Cavs.

With his remarkable efficiency, and total non-need to be high or even medium volume as as a shooter, being the facilitator for Melo and STAT would be the ultimate.

CP3 behind any grououng of superstars doesn't get any better. Ideally, I may want Howard-STAT-CP3, with Gallo in the middle. Shit..

But assuming Melo comes, CP3 > Howard for me. Howard can be a very modest volume scorer, too, and some efficient. Yet for him, that may very well be his Achilles flaw.

We'd be Showtime Lakers 2.0 but better.

KBlack25

Starter
+1

I've never been sour on Paul, but I recently watched a lot of his games...And wow.

So many devalue him here. Toons (not singling out, it's many ppl saying it and he's just a big name poster) recently said what's the difference even between CP3 and Felton but a few assists.

I'd go so far as to say he is Lebron-like in his ability to own a game. Lebron of course does this through more explicit domination. But at the end of the day, CP3 owns his team and the games like no other -- since Lebron when he was with the Cavs.

With his remarkable efficiency, and total non-need to be high or even medium volume as as a shooter, being the facilitator for Melo and STAT would be the ultimate.

CP3 behind any grououng of superstars doesn't get any better. Ideally, I may want Howard-STAT-CP3, with Gallo in the middle. Shit..

But assuming Melo comes, CP3 > Howard for me. Howard can be a very modest volume scorer, too, and some efficient. Yet for him, that may very well be his Achilles flaw.

That knee brace the size of Kentucky that Paul is playing with causes me trepidation.

iSaYughh

Starter
That knee brace the size of Kentucky that Paul is playing with causes me trepidation.

Fair point. Howard is steel. And even as STAT ages and we even assume an injury, a locked up Howard-Melo prime core for at least another 3years above the STAT threshold would assure a contender, even dominance.

I'm not too savvy in Paul's injury, tho, other than basic headline snippets.

Just for the sake of creating an NBA orgasm:

CP3
Fields
Gallo
STAT
Howard

I'm not even sure just how good that lineup would be.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
That lineup could win 70 games..^^^

The brace is precautionary. His knee is fine. It's to protect against knee on knee collisions and the like. I actually wouldn't mind it If STAT wore one, or two.

If you watch Paul cut, stop/start and break dudes off @ the ankles you come away thinking, "nothing wrong w him..., damn". Remember, Bosh wore two braces for a couple of seasons. Now he wairs nothing w Miami.

Last edited:

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Let's not forget that if we're concerned about CP3's knees we should be far more worried about Amar'e's...

That being said CP3 - Amar'e - Howard would make us the best team of all time, but I dunno because Carmelo is probably a better scorer than Howard is but Howard's defense is...well, yeah.

In any case if we can get 2 other max players that would be insane, but at this point you settle for one.

If D'Antoni stays I would like us to get Melo and CP3 as the two max players along with STAT.

Paul
Fields
Gallo
Melo
STAT

that's how D'Antoni would play imo.

If we get a defensive minded coach I would like to get Deron Williams and Dwight Howard.

D. Williams
Fields
G. Wallace (sign and trade for Gallo)
STAT
Howard

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Melo plus

If we get Melo in an extend and trade, the combined salaries of him and Amar'e will approach $40M in 2012. If we get Melo in free agency and under a new CBA with a likely lower cap, he will get whatever the max will be. In either event, I do not see cap space for another star like Howard or CP3 in 2012.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Maybe the three, whichever three, agree to take less money, like Wade, Bron and Bosh.

What's the cap at right now anyway?

Let's not forget that if we're concerned about CP3's knees we should be far more worried about Amar'e's...

That being said CP3 - Amar'e - Howard would make us the best team of all time, but I dunno because Carmelo is probably a better scorer than Howard is but Howard's defense is...well, yeah.

In any case if we can get 2 other max players that would be insane, but at this point you settle for one.

:agreed:

CP3-STAT-D12 would be the most difficult three players to defend on one team in a loooooooooooooooooong time.

Toons

is the Bo$$
+1

its not that i devalue paul, its just that if you have a choice RIGHT NOW to fill any gaps out CURRENT roster has, its a no brainer that you pick howard over paul. if paul gets 20 assists per game and we still get killed on the glass, we lose.

Toons

is the Bo$$
rebounds trump assists on a team with guys that can create their own shot.....gallo, stat, feton, amare, chandler, fields....mozgov will benefit the most if he develops better hands

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Good points, Toons.

And, I think we would just need a solid PG with Melo-STAT-Howard. Someone with IQ and can protect the ball.

Wargames

Starter
how about Melo and some really good roleplayers

Like Rudy Fernandez , OJ Mayo (ehh), Eric Gordon, JaVale Mcgee, or Robin Lopez. Then we have to resign our own people as well.

Last edited: