Timberwolves most likely not involved in 3 team deal for melo

welcometonycity

Rotation player
http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2011/02/09/1859444/timberwolves-say-teams-role-in.html

MINNEAPOLIS On the same day Carmelo Anthony said he'd consider signing a contract extension with the Denver Nuggets if they don't trade him, Timberwolves basketball boss David Kahn called his team's reported part in a three-way deal with Denver and New York involving Anthony "overstated."
Translated, that means an ESPN report last weekend that the Wolves would send a first-round pick and Corey Brewer to Denver to receive Knicks little-used forward Anthony Randolph and accept Eddy Curry's huge, expiring contract is too much to give.

"We were asked if there would be a way to participate in the event the other two teams could reach a deal and there likely could be," he said.

<!-- CLOSE: #story_body_top -->

<!-- CLOSE: #featured_assets --><!-- /assets/link.comp start -->
He also said he doesn't have any idea whether the Knicks and Nuggets can strike a deal for the All-Star forward, who on Monday told the Denver Post that he'd now "take a real hard look" at signing a three-year, $65 million extension to stay in Denver if he isn't dealt by the Feb. 24 trade deadline.

The Wolves have had interest in Randolph - the 14th pick in the 2008 draft who barely has gotten off the Knicks' bench this season - since early summer. Long-armed, 6-11 and not yet 22, he fits what Kahn considers a need for a talented, athletic forward/center.
The Wolves have cleared large salary-cap space hoping to use the leverage to add talent from salary-cap stressed teams. They did so in acquiring Michael Beasley from Miami last summer for two second-round picks.
If they accepted Curry and his expiring $11.3 million salary, they'd likely receive the maximum $3 million allowed from the Knicks that they'd use to immediately buy out Curry's contract without him ever arriving in Minnesota.
Brewer not on block
Kahn said it's "likely" the Wolves will make a deal by the NBA's Feb. 24 trading deadline, but said it'd be a "tactical" and "surgical" move.
"I don't expect it to be big," he said.
He also said he isn't looking to trade Brewer, who will become a restricted free agent this summer after the team did not offer him a contract extension last fall. He also said he hasn't determined that Brewer isn't a part of the team's future. He could still be re-signed next summer once a new labor agreement is reached.
"Because Corey is in the last year of his deal and because many people like Corey's ability and upside, we receive a lot of calls on him," Kahn said. "We also have a team that's very deep at his position. It's important we listen and weigh what's the appropriate decision for the ballclub.
"Players are not like cars in a garage. You can't keep accumulating cars, you can only have so many of them. There's a balance act there and at the wing position; we're probably too heavy there. "

la2ny

Starter
Shouldn't this be posted in that other 3team trade thread?

Anyways, there is exactly 2 weeks to the trade deadline so expect a bunch a crap to surface like this.

la2ny

Starter
Just saying you know someones gonna come in here bitching about another trade thread when we don't need no more arguments or w/e in here you know.

welcometonycity

Rotation player
Just saying you know someones gonna come in here bitching about another trade thread when we don't need no more arguments or w/e in here you know.

yea i got you famoo.

idc wat people say about the cluster tho.

i hope we done fightin on KO.

we dont need dat nonsenseeeeee

tiger0330

Legend
I think most of us were saying that the proposed deal was stupid for MN. I am taking Melo at his word that if they don't pull off a trade he will re-sign with Denver.

Tell you the truth if I was Donnie I would feel like Prokhorov, cut off talks because it's getting too expensive and Denver is just jerking me around.

KingofNy

Starter
I think most of us were saying that the proposed deal was stupid for MN. I am taking Melo at his word that if they don't pull off a trade he will re-sign with Denver.

Tell you the truth if I was Donnie I would feel like Prokhorov, cut off talks because it's getting too expensive and Denver is just jerking me around.

I think you are right. I think Denver will never be happy with the offers they receive unless the talent they're offered is all-star caliber. I doubt the trade happens regardless of who we put on the table. Hell, we already offered Denver Fields, Chandler and a 1st and they laughed in our face. Either way we need to try...

Carmelo is the key to our future. When you sign a guy like Melo, you're not just signing Melo, you're also bringing in talented championship seeking role players for barely any money. We can easily replace any player on our roster not named Stat. I hope our FO gets real and quick. We need Melo!

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
^Agreed.

If can get Carmelo then we're in a position to sign solid FA roleplayers (ie Perkins/Big Baby, Shane Battier, Jared Jeffries (God help us), Kenyon Martin, JR Smith, Sebastian Telfair, Joel Przybilla, Nenad Kristic, DeAndre Jordan, Theo Ratliff, Samuel Dalembert, Carl Landry, etc.)

Let's not forget that if we get Carmelo we turn into the "One last title run" team for old players. All the above players are free agents. Are you sure we can't get some of them to play for the minimum salary so they can play with Carmelo and Amar'e?

If we can then we DO IT and then find a coach or defensive assistant who can help our team better utilize the talent that we have on defense

welcometonycity

Rotation player
^Agreed.

If can get Carmelo then we're in a position to sign solid FA roleplayers (ie Perkins/Big Baby, Shane Battier, Jared Jeffries (God help us), Kenyon Martin, JR Smith, Sebastian Telfair, Joel Przybilla, Nenad Kristic, DeAndre Jordan, Theo Ratliff, Samuel Dalembert, Carl Landry, etc.)

Let's not forget that if we get Carmelo we turn into the "One last title run" team for old players. All the above players are free agents. Are you sure we can't get some of them to play for the minimum salary so they can play with Carmelo and Amar'e?

If we can then we DO IT and then find a coach or defensive assistant who can help our team better utilize the talent that we have on defense

AGREEEEDDDDDDD