Stephen A Smith says Knicks must get Carmelo now!

welcometonycity

Rotation player
http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nba/columns/story?columnist=smith_stephen&id=6109026

Just a few minutes before the New York Knicks decided to officially inform everyone they were going to stink up Madison Square Garden on Thursday night, Amare Stoudemire scared the life out of a packed house. Face down, devoid of a step -- let alone a spring in it -- he stayed on the floor for a minute more than anyone would've preferred, courtesy of a twisted ankle. It was a scene that made everyone in the Garden gasp, and nearly stopped the hearts of New York fans everywhere.
In one twisted, contorted moment, rife with the kind of drama this town has absolutely no interest in whatsoever, the Knicks' resident, $100 million franchise player cemented the harsh reality that, for now, one man -- Amare -- is responsible for this franchise's future.
<!-- start podcast -->

<SCRIPT language=Javascript type=text/javascript>(function() {var podplayer = new flashObj(), a = document.createElement('audio'), aId = 'audio'+Math.ceil(Math.random()*1e10);podplayer.flashFile = "http://a.espncdn.com/swf/espnradio/09/audio_player_circular_v2.swf";podplayer.flashVars = "&soundLink=http://c.espnradio.com/audio/509999/herdaudio_2011-02-10-141639.mp3";podplayer.width = "86";podplayer.height = "70";podplayer.scale = "noorder";podplayer.salign = "lt";podplayer.wmode = "transparent";podplayer.allowScriptAccess = "Always";podplayer.allowNetworking = "All";podplayer.DenyIEdl = "TRUE";podplayer.FlashVer = 8;podplayer.cabVersion = "8,0,0,0";podplayer.altTxt = 'Play Podcast';podplayer.ID = "flashPodcastSwf";podplayer.render(true);jQuery('#'+aId).live('click', function(e) {if(!!(a.canPlayType && a.canPlayType('audio/mpeg;').replace(/no/, ''))) {e.preventDefault();jQuery(this).replaceWith('<audio src = "http://c.espnradio.com/audio/509999/herdaudio_2011-02-10-141639.mp3" controls style = "width: 250px;"></audio>');}});})();</SCRIPT>
1050 ESPN/710 ESPN's Stephen A. Smith says New York is where Carmelo Anthony wants to be but don't count out Chicago from the party. Anthony sent New York a message by saying he'd consider Denver's extension.
More Podcasts ?

<!-- end podcast -->
Which is why the Knicks must go get Carmelo Anthony as soon as possible.
As in ... today!
Listen to what coach Mike D'Antoni had to say after the Knicks' 116-108 loss to the Los Angeles Clippers: "I don't think we had the energy out there to be a playoff team. For whatever reason, in the first half we just didn't come out and play. You could see it on our face. The energy level, mostly on the defensive end, but it transferred to the offensive end."
Uh, ya think!
Aren't these the same Knicks who've now lost 10 of their last 14 games? Who kept surrendering dunks to the Clips as if the game was taking place on All-Star Weekend instead of on a night that actually counts? Who yield nearly 47 percent shooting to the opposition nightly? Who get out-rebounded by nearly five per game, and actually consider Timofey Mozgov a legitimate big man at this juncture?
It's time to stop playing games. It's time to stop acting like the Knicks are a solid team just a star away from championship credibility. They are 26-25. A loss removed from .500 status. The epitome of mediocrity, playing little-to-no defense. Flip the proverbial coin around, omit Stoudemire from the equation, and what you have is a duplicate version of this year's Cleveland Cavaliers trouncing up and down the hardwood off 33rd Street and 8th Avenue.

<!-- end inline 1 -->
The maddening rethoric must come to an end, right now.
Danilo Gallinari is good, with promise, but hardly worth holding on to if it means not getting Anthony's services. The same should be said about Wilson Chandler, or the likeable, impressive Landry Fields, for that matter. And if two of those three is not enough to woo the Nuggets into making a deal, there are other options to consider -- as I've now learned.
According to league sources, the Nuggets have also inquired about the Knicks' willingness to let go of Raymond Felton in a potential deal, which would allow Denver to unload Chauncey Billups' contract. The Knicks, obviously, have balked on numerous occasions, no doubt thinking their patience will pay off come summertime, since everyone knows New York is where Melo wants to be. This is what has prevented Anthony from arriving in the Mecca months ago.
No matter which way you slice it, moments of arrogance, ineptitude and dare I say stupidity have infected this entire process. The thing is, it is the Knicks who will suffer the most in the end if they don't get Anthony. As if they haven't suffered enough already.

<!-- end inline 2 -->
To put it bluntly: LeBron James knew he wanted to go to Miami, but that doesn't mean the Knicks didn't blow an opportunity. Donnie Walsh wasn't in the greatest of health at the time. According to sources, he also didn't schmooze as much as he needed to with LeBron's camp in the months leading up to The Decision.
The problem with that little tidbit of information is that some of those folks are hanging around. They are influencing/counseling/advising Anthony -- and Chris Paul, who ultimately wants to land in New York and, like Melo, is represented by Creative Artists Agency (CAA). Both Melo and Paul are friends with LeBron, Dwayne Wade and Chris Bosh.
So if Walsh, along with the unprecedented three former GMs/executives on his payroll -- Glen Grunwald (ex-Toronto), John Gabriel (Orlando) and newly hired player personnel director Mark Warkentein (Denver) -- can't manage to put their heads together and get Anthony to New York, then that may mean they won't get Paul, either.
And all of it begs the question: How good will you feel about the Knicks then? In the years to come? Especially with Stoudemire averaging 37 minutes per night right now, always trying to do too much simply because he has no choice? No doubt wearing himself down in the process.

<!-- END INLINE MODULE --><!-- end inline 3 -->
"We're not playing hard," Stoudemire deadpanned following the loss to the Clippers. "We're not getting loose balls. Seems like we're afraid out there. I said before the game, we've got to have supreme focus. I guess they figured I was talking to the wall because we didn't come out with any focus."
Actually, Stoudemire's wrong. At least in part.
The Knicks came out with limited game because that's all they have. That's who they are. And that is who they'll remain until they get another star in the Garden.
<!--columnistprofile is null--><!-- smith_stephen-a.--><!-- end story body --><!-- begin sponsored links -->

Hayato

Benchwarmer
WHAT?!

"According to league sources, the Nuggets have inquired about the Knicks' willingness to let go of Raymond Felton"

our WILLINGNESS?!?!?! jesus christ if we get rid of him then we're back at square 1

welcometonycity

Rotation player
WHAT?!

"According to league sources, the Nuggets have inquired about the Knicks' willingness to let go of Raymond Felton"

our WILLINGNESS?!?!?! jesus christ if we get rid of him then we're back at square 1

We can keep either Fields or Galo then. Lose Felton, Chandler, Galo/Fields

Get Melo Billups and Ty Lawson. Billups will play here im 100!

Its change but it could work. We get melo we are that much closer to getting Cp3!

Hayato

Benchwarmer
i dont want to hear you delusional peoples fantasies on us getting cp3 either...i doubt it...idk if its even financially possible if we sign melo but until we get c[3(which i dont think will ever happen), we'll have TONEY DOUGLAS as our starting point guard with nobody behind him...sheesh if the knicks throw in felton it better be felton, chandler, AND THATS IT!

Hayato

Benchwarmer
We can keep either Fields or Galo then. Lose Felton, Chandler, Galo/Fields

Get Melo Billups and Ty Lawson.

Its change but it could work. We get melo we are that much closer to getting Cp3!!!!

id much rather lose gallo than felton... anthony = SF.. gallo = SF and felton = PG...we cant just throw away our above average PG with nobody to take his spot...plus if we give up gallo, not only would he be benched behind anthony, but we'd have another adequate SF on the roster anyway in williams

welcometonycity

Rotation player
id much rather lose gallo than felton... anthony = SF.. gallo = SF and felton = PG...we cant just throw away our above average PG with nobody to take his spot...plus if we give up gallo, not only would he be benched behind anthony, but we'd have another adequate SF on the roster anyway in williams

Hm i feel u, Felton is a leader and a good point guard.
But im at the point of saying "Trade anyone BESIDES stat for MELO"

Lets say we trade Felt,Chandler,Galo,1st round
We get Melo, Billups, maybe Lawson
Den we can run wit
1. Billups
2. Fields
3. Melo
4. Stat
5. Moz

How much worse is Billups then Felt? For the remainder of the year.
I would love to get a step closer to Cp3.

Kiyaman

Legend
Truth be said..... after the Knicks home loss to the L.A. Lakers (oops my
bad, the mediocre Clippers.... excuse me it was the 20 point lead.),
Amare need to sit out the next 3 games so Felton could learn how to get
an assist to his teammates in the paint rather than jumpers, 3-ball shots,
and handing the ball to Amare to take 20+ shots.
Gallo & Chandler shouldve been averaging 15 shots per game,
Fields & Douglas been our 48 min SG both shouldve been averaging 10 shots per game.
Felton's first season as the Knicks PG should be passing the ball instead of
forcing 15+ shots per game. If Felton want to shoot more than he should let
Douglas bring down the ball to lead the point.
Plus Mozgov/ AR/ and Turiaf need Amare's playingtime to learn how to mesh
together to grab every damn defensive-rebound (Im tired of oponents getting
2nd and 3rd chance shots), plus the trio have to learn how to switch on defense
to defend the paint area to stop oposing teams from scoring in the paint at will.

The Knicks have way to many headcoaching problems that need resolving
solutions which involves around "Amare, Felton, and Dantoni" performance.
Bringing in another "BIGHEAD" player like Carmelo this season is detrimental
to the well being of this nonleadership Knick team.

This is what Steven A Smith should be talking about, if he is a real Knick Fan...
:gony::gony::gony:

KBlack25

Starter
Honestly, I don't think giving up Fields, Gallo and Chandler for Melo makes us much better...I don't want Melo just to have him, I want to get him to actually make an improvement.

KingofNy

Starter
WHAT?!

We should try to send Felton to Denver along with Chandler, Eddy Curry's contract and Anthony Randolph, for Melo and then send Gallo and Kelenna Azubuike to Phoenix for Nash. I know it sounds like we're giving a lot but in reality we're getting a lot more. We're not going to get Melo unless we give up at least 2 of 4 out of Gallo, Fields, Felton, Chandler.

Our starting lineup would be:

Nash
Fields
Melo
Stat
Mosgov

Then as soon as CP3 comes available we can trade Nash along with other assets for him at the deadline next season or look at trying to get a good big with the 3rd Max. I pray to God we get something done before the trade deadline... If we don't I think our team is going to fall right back to where it was 2 years ago....A straight mess, this time with an unhappy superstar.

We should try to send Felton to Denver along with Chandler, Eddy Curry's contract and Anthony Randolph, for Melo and then send Gallo and Kelenna Azubuike to Phoenix for Nash. I know it sounds like we're giving a lot but in reality we're getting a lot more. We're not going to get Melo unless we give up at least 2 of 4 out of Gallo, Fields, Felton, Chandler.

Our starting lineup would be:

Nash
Fields
Melo
Stat
Mosgov

Then as soon as CP3 comes available we can trade Nash along with other assets for him at the deadline next season or look at trying to get a good big with the 3rd Max. I pray to God we get something done before the trade deadline... If we don't I think our team is going to fall right back to where it was 2 years ago....A straight mess, this time with an unhappy superstar.
Steve Nash has worse defense than Raymond Felton.

KingofNy

Starter
Steve Nash has worse defense than Raymond Felton.

I know that his defense is suspect but as long as O'Antoni is our coach does it even matter? We might as well focus on creating the best offensive team we can because under D'Antoni we're gonna lose any game we don't score 120 anyways. Nash is the ultimate game manager... I bet Mosgov would get at least 6 dunks a game with Nash dishing the rock... Look at what he's doing with the garbage he has playing with him now in Phoenix.

Kiyaman

Legend
Looking at the 5 top teams in the West got me thinking....
This is Carmelo ending contract year could Carmelo take the Nuggets past the first round playoffs this season? No! I dont think so.

If the Knicks trade certain players (Chandle & Fields) to Denver for Carmelo, I see Denver getting past the first round.

KingofNy

Starter
Looking at the 5 top teams in the West got me thinking....
This is Carmelo ending contract year could Carmelo take the Nuggets past the first round playoffs this season? No! I dont think so.

If the Knicks trade certain players (Chandle & Fields) to Denver for Carmelo, I see Denver getting past the first round.

I honestly think Denver doesn't want Chandler. I bet they want Felton and Gallo... If we had to do that as our only way to get Melo would any of you do it?

Billups will do everything Ray is doing in this offense. He is probably a better shooter too. Felt is a rental. He is expendable. A Melo, Stat frontline is murdah. We have to do this.

petescud

Starter
Dale Davis was never a Knick...

I too thought one of the Davis' were on the knicks for a very short time when they were washed up at the end of their career....was it Antonio or Dale?

la2ny

Starter
Hey Donnie!
doitnow.jpg

Last edited: