Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Lakers vs. Knicks--"Unofficial Game Thread"

Originally Posted by la2ny
    Loco Ochos has returned !
    Merci monsieur.

Veteran

Originally Posted by Crazy8s
    Merci monsieur.
    Welcome back, Crazy. Man did we miss you.

Pretty much proven now that D'Antoni has had 2 different teams that use his system that it's the players that make the system not the other way around.

He's no genius, his Suns team had the talent we don't.

He had shooters, a great PG and guys that could play inside.

To make his system work, you need guys that shoot the 3 better than we do given the number of 3s his teams take, he had that in Phoenix even with his 2nd unit, James Jones, Casey Jacobson, Barbosa guys that could shoot 40% or better from 3. Our best shooter is Fields at 38%.

The offense is flawed b/c Dantoni fails to realize that his players are humans, not robots... And thus are inconsistent and streaky.

It seems the idea is to shoot quicky... 1st open shot. No ball movement. Not higher pct shot tho, and if you don't tire your opponent then that makes defense even tougher.

And when Knicks go cold it's almost as if they take farther shots and then there's no ball movement.

Again tonight NY jad like an 0-11 streych from 3.

Tired of coach and his excuses. 25-25 and sinking fast. Team doesn't even hustle for loose balls.

After we lose to the Nets we'll finally be under .500!

and who else is tired of watching every team score 85+ points beore the 4th starts?

Oh... notice Cavs beat the Clippers tonight. How nice.

Veteran

I feel as if his system is predicated too much on players settling for the open jump shot.

It's weird because all of Team USA had nothing but good things to say about Mike D'Antoni, and even Carlos Boozer (who's known to be a rather unpleasant fellow in some circles) said that D'Antoni came up with offensive plays off the top of his head that were some of the best he (Boozer) had ever seen (and Boozer was a Coach K product).

That being said I'm not seeing it. So far I'm not seeing what it is that makes D'Antoni that special - to some extent you have to blame the players too, since we have some streaky shooters on our team and some bad defenders, but what is it about D'Antoni's system that makes him such a "good offensive coach?" I'm not sure.

This system doesn't work without a Steve Nash like pg.. plain and simple. And our shooters are much to streaky for it to work as well. This **** isn't for us.

Tiger's right. We need better players. We'll be up and down the rest of the way unless we get Melo before the deadline.

Paul, or a PG of his ilk, would really catapult us into the stratosphere. If we can keep Gallo and manage a trade for Melo, I think we can make a deep run in the playoffs this season. But, this offense needs a PG that can break down the D at will and control the tempo consistently to get shooters great looks... Felton, while very good, is not great in these areas. Paul, simply put, is. As long as we have Mike D as our coach, and I think we will, Paul is THE single most important acquisition we can make to our team.

Nice to have you back Crazed1..

Veteran

Raymond Felton is a solid PG, but he's not Steve Nash.

Wilson Chandler is a solid Forward, but he's not Shawn Marion.

Landry Fields is a good SG, but he's no Joe Johnson.

I think you guys get what I'm trying to say.

D'Antoni's system worked for Steve Nash and co. because Steve Nash is possibly the best shooter in the NBA and Leandro Barbosa, Raja Bell both shot better from behind the arc than any of our guys.

When Landry Fields is your best 3-point shooter you have problems.

Originally Posted by SSj4Wingzero
    Raymond Felton is a solid PG, but he's not Steve Nash.

Wilson Chandler is a solid Forward, but he's not Shawn Marion.

Landry Fields is a good SG, but he's no Joe Johnson.

I think you guys get what I'm trying to say.

D'Antoni's system worked for Steve Nash and co. because Steve Nash is possibly the best shooter in the NBA and Leandro Barbosa, Raja Bell both shot better from behind the arc than any of our guys.

When Landry Fields is your best 3-point shooter you have problems.
    All good coaches need great players. Phil Jackson's a fine example. Can't go very far w out em..

Originally Posted by tiger0330
    Welcome back, Crazy. Man did we miss you.

Pretty much proven now that D'Antoni has had 2 different teams that use his system that it's the players that make the system not the other way around.

He's no genius, his Suns team had the talent we don't.

He had shooters, a great PG and guys that could play inside.

To make his system work, you need guys that shoot the 3 better than we do given the number of 3s his teams take, he had that in Phoenix even with his 2nd unit, James Jones, Casey Jacobson, Barbosa guys that could shoot 40% or better from 3. Our best shooter is Fields at 38%.
    That's right. So why the inability to adapt? Is it stubbornness or incapability? ★ Thanks for the welcome back.

Originally Posted by mafra
    The offense is flawed b/c Dantoni fails to realize that his players are humans, not robots... And thus are inconsistent and streaky.

It seems the idea is to shoot quicky... 1st open shot. No ball movement. Not higher pct shot tho, and if you don't tire your opponent then that makes defense even tougher.

And when Knicks go cold it's almost as if they take farther shots and then there's no ball movement.

Again tonight NY jad like an 0-11 streych from 3.

Tired of coach and his excuses. 25-25 and sinking fast. Team doesn't even hustle for loose balls.

After we lose to the Nets we'll finally be under .500!

and who else is tired of watching every team score 85+ points beore the 4th starts?

Oh... notice Cavs beat the Clippers tonight. How nice.
    I am f*cking sick of it! I had always passed off the 'D'Antoni doesn't practice defence' as baseless allegory. Now, even though I can't wrap my head around it, I doubt that he does. Is that stupid? I feel stupid.

Originally Posted by SSj4Wingzero
    I feel as if his system is predicated too much on players settling for the open jump shot.

It's weird because all of Team USA had nothing but good things to say about Mike D'Antoni, and even Carlos Boozer (who's known to be a rather unpleasant fellow in some circles) said that D'Antoni came up with offensive plays off the top of his head that were some of the best he (Boozer) had ever seen (and Boozer was a Coach K product).

That being said I'm not seeing it. So far I'm not seeing what it is that makes D'Antoni that special - to some extent you have to blame the players too, since we have some streaky shooters on our team and some bad defenders, but what is it about D'Antoni's system that makes him such a "good offensive coach?" I'm not sure.
    Team USA had reason to praise: success. Hunky dory, la dee da.

To me, the 'system' seems predicated upon mathematics. It doesn't factor in - or basically factors out - the human side of success and failure. I'm not saying I'm right, that is however the way I see it - a numbers game.

I don't have the privilege of being able to watch 'The D'Antoni Show', can anyone tell me what that's like and what he preaches etc.

In simpler terms, this system is effective in the same way all things are effective: cohesive harmony and balance. We have neither. We don't maximise efficiency or potential because there's a thing called the 3 point line. We allow efficiency for opponents with our para-olympic defence.

It's a system or strategy (whatever you want to or don't want to call it) drawn on toilet paper.

Veteran

Originally Posted by ronoranina
    All good coaches need great players. Phil Jackson's a fine example. Can't go very far w out em..
    Of course they do. But the question is whether or not D'Antoni is a great coach, or whether he just looked good because it's tough to make Steve Nash and Amar'e Stoudemire look bad together.

With regards to D'Antoni...

I think he emphasizes defense to an extent. I think he tries to coach defensive game plans.

However, I think he has absolutely no idea on how to teach defense to his players.

I think that's most likely the case. I've heard him talk about defense on clips from the Mike D'Antoni Show, I've heard him emphasize defense on sections when he was wearing a mic, but I get the feeling that he just doesn't teach it well to his players in practice. Then again, one could argue that that's Herb Williams' job, or whatever.

Basically, I get the vibe that D'Antoni's teaching of defense is kinda like a cheerleader cheering on the players. He says "Defense!" and "Stay in front of him!" but maybe he doesn't really tell his players how they should get better at that? Just my hunch...

Steve Nash made Dantoni look good.. He is not a great coach.

Thank God Charlotte Bobcats started to lose some games. The Knicks are tired. That 8 man rotation from D'Antoni plus the team playing above his capacity all season long has leaded us to a situation where we can't play consistent. We switch on/off during every game. The All-Star break will give us some rest but i'm sure we'd be lucky if Philly and Indiana don't leave us behind to a 8th tier playoffs first round exit.

Our offense is flawing badly. We barely move the ball and most of the possessions end up with an open range shot or an individual effort to penetrate. Too many turnovers + no rebound + bad shooting percentage = sure defeat. Sometimes we defend well during games but we just can't stand it. We're exhausted. D'antoni's fault.

Best thing we could do right now is trade for Carmelo, try to keep the 6th tier with late momentum and build a team around Stoudemire and Anthony in the offseason. Better with a new coach.

Even with Melo we still wouldn't be a good team because of D'antoni no defense score 120 points to win system.

Gallinari embarrassed himself last night, flopping on every single drive to the basket. He doesn't have the creativity to make a drive without looking awful and forcing a ref to make a call for him. He is ugly to watch and makes me think that he should of stayed in Europe till he was 25 years old. Damn make the damn Melo trade right now, we are a freaking triple-A team right now.

Veteran

Originally Posted by Arod2k9
    Gallinari embarrassed himself last night, flopping on every single drive to the basket. He doesn't have the creativity to make a drive without looking awful and forcing a ref to make a call for him. He is ugly to watch and makes me think that he should of stayed in Europe till he was 25 years old. Damn make the damn Melo trade right now, we are a freaking triple-A team right now.
    And did you see how Kobe went between his legs about ten times, showed gallo the ball, and then shot a step back three that parted Gallo's hair??? Pitiful defense. I know the Mamba is more than a handful, but that's Godfather D'ant putting Gallo on Kobe while Chandler is giving up 6 inches trying to check Odom. How in the world KO members think Gallo is untouchable floors me.....