Lakers vs. Knicks--"Unofficial Game Thread"

KingofNy

Starter
Does it even matter at this point lol. Refs at this juncture are a pretty moot thing to object 2.

The refs starting really sucking it up when we got their lead down to 9. I agree we played like crap but the refs definitely called a crapload of calls in the Lakers favor the last 7 minutes of the 3rd. At the same time they weren't giving us calls (Gallo's drive, Chandler's 3), they gave Kobe a bullcrap and 1 call and then called Douglas for blocking that 3 point attempt. He didn't even touch the guy.

We still would of lost anyways, I'm not disputing that. I don't even think Melo can save this team because it all boils down to coaching and our coach is garbage. Coaches mean everything to a team. You can have all the stars in the world but if your coach sucks like D'Antoni, you're going to have a hard time winning.

Here's an example: Look at St. Johns... They've are playing awesome now and it's all because of the new coach. Steve Lavin took the same EXACT players that sucked the last 3 years and made them relevant and good enough to compete and beat the best teams in NCAA. That is coaching. D'Antoni is a joke.

la2ny

Starter
The refs starting really sucking it up when we got their lead down to 9. I agree we played like crap but the refs definitely called a crapload of calls in the Lakers favor the last 7 minutes of the 3rd. At the same time they weren't giving us calls (Gallo's drive, Chandler's 3), they gave Kobe a bullcrap and 1 call and then called Douglas for blocking that 3 point attempt. He didn't even touch the guy.

We still would of lost anyways, I'm not disputing that. I don't even think Melo can save this team because it all boils down to coaching and our coach is garbage. Coaches mean everything to a team. You can have all the stars in the world but if your coach sucks like D'Antoni, you're going to have a hard time winning.

Here's an example: Look at St. Johns... They've are playing awesome now and it's all because of the new coach. Steve Lavin took the same EXACT players that sucked the last 3 years and made them relevant and good enough to compete and beat the best teams in NCAA. That is coaching. D'Antoni is a joke.

The refs usually favor the aggressor when games momentums shift. When we were aggressive in the 1st half we got some calls that shouldn't of been called it goes both ways. Jus gotta play through it. I never did like D'antoni as the coach of the Knicks. His style just doesn't fit this city im sorry. This city is rugged and would be better represented by a hard nosed D team like Boston. He would have been canned if he were in Detroit, Boston, or Philly with this crap

KingofNy

Starter
The refs usually favor the aggressor when games momentums shift. When we were aggressive in the 1st half we got some calls that shouldn't of been called it goes both ways. Jus gotta play through it. I never did like D'antoni as the coach of the Knicks. His style just doesn't fit this city im sorry. This city is rugged and would be better represented by a hard nosed D team like Boston. He would have been canned if he were in Detroit, Boston, or Philly with this crap

I pretty much agree with everything you said. I've been saying this forever, why does NY accept D'Antoni? I don't get it, he is terrible. He needs to start putting our losses on his shoulders and make adjustments and stop blaming everyone else. When he blamed the fans 2 days ago that was my last straw with him.

NY is supposed to be tough. D'Antoni's bad coaching and no defense disrespects the Garden, organization and fan base in my opinion and I hate that the rest of the country looks at our team as a joke...I can't stand it. FIRE D'ANTONI, HIRE A DEFENSIVE MINDED COACH, GET MELO AT ALL COSTS!!!!

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
I've maintained a balanced opinion of this team and its woes, avoiding pointing fingers etc. I know that we were basically destined for a .500 season, but the debacle has to end.

This system, this coach, is heralded for offensive brilliance.

Where is it?

I've played, watched, written about basketball for nigh on 2 decades now, and would love for some of the following: KBlack, tiger0330, TR1LL1ON, ronornanoroanaonaianana, mafra, ISayyUggh, SSJ4wingzero or anyone that cares to, to tell me what is so genius about this offence.

Someone distract me from pulling my ****ing hair out.

It really has become painful.

la2ny

Starter
I've maintained a balanced opinion of this team and its woes, avoiding pointing fingers etc. I know that we were basically destined for a .500 season, but the debacle has to end.

This system, this coach, is heralded for offensive brilliance.

Where is it?

I've played, watched, written about basketball for nigh on 2 decades now, and would love for some of the following: KBlack, tiger0330, TR1LL1ON, ronornanoroanaonaianana, mafra, ISayyUggh, SSJ4wingzero or anyone that cares to, to tell me what is so genius about this offence.

Someone distract me from pulling my ****ing hair out.

It really has become painful.

Loco Ochos has returned :cool: !

knicks just have so many holes as a team that is showing in the past 2-3 weeks.If we have a bad shooting night then we cant win.Our perimeter defense has no discipline and cant contain anyone.No low post defender that can go one on one with elite bigs.No other consistent scorer to keep us out of slumps and keep the pace going.no bench.no halfcourt offense.no post player.WHEW this can be a long season so i suggest you 50+ win knick fans brace for it.The sad thing is that even if we do fire mike and get a defensive coach,these guys are so used to being bad on D that we would probably need to edit the roster again.Walsh got us in a truck load of crap because we can get melo and win 50+ wins a year but now our team is going to always be a defensive liability with dantoni stuff but yea walsh needs to get rid of dantoni because championship and dantoni doesnt go in the same sentence but dantoni and extreme fun does.so what would you knicks fans want? get melo score 120 a game and getting bounced in the 2nd round and at most the ECF or a team that gives up 95 ppg and scoring 101 ppg and being a contender?

Btw if anyone says amare is a post player get out.facing up is totally another story.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Yeah, when I think of the Knicks, I think of our greatest teams with big men protecting the paint and the rest of the team also bringing defense. We don't even have bad defensive players. I love fast paced style, but it's not fast paced when we're not playing good. I want us to own the paint on both ends.

tiger0330

Legend
Merci monsieur.
Welcome back, Crazy. Man did we miss you.

Pretty much proven now that D'Antoni has had 2 different teams that use his system that it's the players that make the system not the other way around.

He's no genius, his Suns team had the talent we don't.

He had shooters, a great PG and guys that could play inside.

To make his system work, you need guys that shoot the 3 better than we do given the number of 3s his teams take, he had that in Phoenix even with his 2nd unit, James Jones, Casey Jacobson, Barbosa guys that could shoot 40% or better from 3. Our best shooter is Fields at 38%.

mafra

Legend
The offense is flawed b/c Dantoni fails to realize that his players are humans, not robots... And thus are inconsistent and streaky.

It seems the idea is to shoot quicky... 1st open shot. No ball movement. Not higher pct shot tho, and if you don't tire your opponent then that makes defense even tougher.

And when Knicks go cold it's almost as if they take farther shots and then there's no ball movement.

Again tonight NY jad like an 0-11 streych from 3.

Tired of coach and his excuses. 25-25 and sinking fast. Team doesn't even hustle for loose balls.

After we lose to the Nets we'll finally be under .500!

and who else is tired of watching every team score 85+ points beore the 4th starts?

Oh... notice Cavs beat the Clippers tonight. How nice.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I feel as if his system is predicated too much on players settling for the open jump shot.

It's weird because all of Team USA had nothing but good things to say about Mike D'Antoni, and even Carlos Boozer (who's known to be a rather unpleasant fellow in some circles) said that D'Antoni came up with offensive plays off the top of his head that were some of the best he (Boozer) had ever seen (and Boozer was a Coach K product).

That being said I'm not seeing it. So far I'm not seeing what it is that makes D'Antoni that special - to some extent you have to blame the players too, since we have some streaky shooters on our team and some bad defenders, but what is it about D'Antoni's system that makes him such a "good offensive coach?" I'm not sure.

This system doesn't work without a Steve Nash like pg.. plain and simple. And our shooters are much to streaky for it to work as well. This shit isn't for us.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Tiger's right. We need better players. We'll be up and down the rest of the way unless we get Melo before the deadline.

Paul, or a PG of his ilk, would really catapult us into the stratosphere. If we can keep Gallo and manage a trade for Melo, I think we can make a deep run in the playoffs this season. But, this offense needs a PG that can break down the D at will and control the tempo consistently to get shooters great looks... Felton, while very good, is not great in these areas. Paul, simply put, is. As long as we have Mike D as our coach, and I think we will, Paul is THE single most important acquisition we can make to our team.

Nice to have you back Crazed1..

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Raymond Felton is a solid PG, but he's not Steve Nash.

Wilson Chandler is a solid Forward, but he's not Shawn Marion.

Landry Fields is a good SG, but he's no Joe Johnson.

I think you guys get what I'm trying to say.

D'Antoni's system worked for Steve Nash and co. because Steve Nash is possibly the best shooter in the NBA and Leandro Barbosa, Raja Bell both shot better from behind the arc than any of our guys.

When Landry Fields is your best 3-point shooter you have problems.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Raymond Felton is a solid PG, but he's not Steve Nash.

Wilson Chandler is a solid Forward, but he's not Shawn Marion.

Landry Fields is a good SG, but he's no Joe Johnson.

I think you guys get what I'm trying to say.

D'Antoni's system worked for Steve Nash and co. because Steve Nash is possibly the best shooter in the NBA and Leandro Barbosa, Raja Bell both shot better from behind the arc than any of our guys.

When Landry Fields is your best 3-point shooter you have problems.

All good coaches need great players. Phil Jackson's a fine example. Can't go very far w out em..

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Welcome back, Crazy. Man did we miss you.

Pretty much proven now that D'Antoni has had 2 different teams that use his system that it's the players that make the system not the other way around.

He's no genius, his Suns team had the talent we don't.

He had shooters, a great PG and guys that could play inside.

To make his system work, you need guys that shoot the 3 better than we do given the number of 3s his teams take, he had that in Phoenix even with his 2nd unit, James Jones, Casey Jacobson, Barbosa guys that could shoot 40% or better from 3. Our best shooter is Fields at 38%.

That's right. So why the inability to adapt? Is it stubbornness or incapability? ★ Thanks for the welcome back.

The offense is flawed b/c Dantoni fails to realize that his players are humans, not robots... And thus are inconsistent and streaky.

It seems the idea is to shoot quicky... 1st open shot. No ball movement. Not higher pct shot tho, and if you don't tire your opponent then that makes defense even tougher.

And when Knicks go cold it's almost as if they take farther shots and then there's no ball movement.

Again tonight NY jad like an 0-11 streych from 3.

Tired of coach and his excuses. 25-25 and sinking fast. Team doesn't even hustle for loose balls.

After we lose to the Nets we'll finally be under .500!

and who else is tired of watching every team score 85+ points beore the 4th starts?

Oh... notice Cavs beat the Clippers tonight. How nice.

I am f*cking sick of it! I had always passed off the 'D'Antoni doesn't practice defence' as baseless allegory. Now, even though I can't wrap my head around it, I doubt that he does. Is that stupid? I feel stupid.

I feel as if his system is predicated too much on players settling for the open jump shot.

It's weird because all of Team USA had nothing but good things to say about Mike D'Antoni, and even Carlos Boozer (who's known to be a rather unpleasant fellow in some circles) said that D'Antoni came up with offensive plays off the top of his head that were some of the best he (Boozer) had ever seen (and Boozer was a Coach K product).

That being said I'm not seeing it. So far I'm not seeing what it is that makes D'Antoni that special - to some extent you have to blame the players too, since we have some streaky shooters on our team and some bad defenders, but what is it about D'Antoni's system that makes him such a "good offensive coach?" I'm not sure.

Team USA had reason to praise: success. Hunky dory, la dee da.

To me, the 'system' seems predicated upon mathematics. It doesn't factor in - or basically factors out - the human side of success and failure. I'm not saying I'm right, that is however the way I see it - a numbers game.

I don't have the privilege of being able to watch 'The D'Antoni Show', can anyone tell me what that's like and what he preaches etc.

In simpler terms, this system is effective in the same way all things are effective: cohesive harmony and balance. We have neither. We don't maximise efficiency or potential because there's a thing called the 3 point line. We allow efficiency for opponents with our para-olympic defence.

It's a system or strategy (whatever you want to or don't want to call it) drawn on toilet paper.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
All good coaches need great players. Phil Jackson's a fine example. Can't go very far w out em..

Of course they do. But the question is whether or not D'Antoni is a great coach, or whether he just looked good because it's tough to make Steve Nash and Amar'e Stoudemire look bad together.

With regards to D'Antoni...

I think he emphasizes defense to an extent. I think he tries to coach defensive game plans.

However, I think he has absolutely no idea on how to teach defense to his players.

I think that's most likely the case. I've heard him talk about defense on clips from the Mike D'Antoni Show, I've heard him emphasize defense on sections when he was wearing a mic, but I get the feeling that he just doesn't teach it well to his players in practice. Then again, one could argue that that's Herb Williams' job, or whatever.

Basically, I get the vibe that D'Antoni's teaching of defense is kinda like a cheerleader cheering on the players. He says "Defense!" and "Stay in front of him!" but maybe he doesn't really tell his players how they should get better at that? Just my hunch...