Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: If we get melo..we cant get a max in 2012 w/o giving up gallo..so give him up now..

Lurker

cuz hes gone at the end of year anyway

exactly..lol

Originally Posted by la2ny
    Dont really understand why LA would do that deal

The problem with this line of thinking is that it assumes we will need (or have a strong interest in) CP3 when he becomes available in two years. But what if Raymond Felton develops into a consistent all-star caliber point guard once we (hopefully) land Melo and a decent backup who can give him some timely blows during the course of a 48 minute game??? IMO, point guard may not even be a need at all by the time CP3 becomes available (and btw, I happen to think all Felton needs is a decent backup and some more time to mature to be a heck of a starting point guard for a long time).

To me, the bigger reason for trading Gallo now is that his natural position is also Melo's natural position, and if we ever landed Melo without giving up Gallo, Gallo would be relegated to 6th man duties, and even then, I'm not sure where he would fit in on the court with Melo. I mean, Melo is playing 40 minutes a night, regardless of who we give up to get him, so, what position would Gallo play with Melo on the court??? The only other reasonable position for Gallo is at the 4, and guess what, that's where our other all-star forward really belongs. We are front loaded with forwards (3's and 4's) and we are all talking about bringing in the second best small forward in the league (behind Lebron) to play with the best power forward in the league. Thus, Wilson Chandler and Gallo should BOTH be given up on before EITHER Fields or Felton.

@ Knicks47

Not totally true considering the Clipps will want 2 keep DeAndre with Blake. So I believe they'd match any offer he's bound to recieve.

Please guys watch this whole video this is brilliant

Lurker

Dont get me wrong, I want melo just as much as everyone here does but if we get melo and get no center this year its still not going to matter, we wont compete with the top 4 in the east. Watching knick games makes me sick sometimes, basically we have one chance to score on O, while on d the other team gets 2 or 3 with offensive rebounds, and defensively we get owned in the paint. If we got a defensive minded center who can board, we would be competing with the celtics, heat and bulls( not better or on the same level but a threat)

Veteran

Again if we pick up Carmelo we'll be able to convince a solid defending + rebounding center like Samuel Dalembert to sign here for cheap kinda like how the Lakers got Ron Artest for a MLE level contract

Originally Posted by SSj4Wingzero
    Again if we pick up Carmelo we'll be able to convince a solid defending + rebounding center like Samuel Dalembert to sign here for cheap kinda like how the Lakers got Ron Artest for a MLE level contract
    We probably can get Dalembert since his value has taken a hit this year.

Veteran

I mean you have to think about the team as it is right now too.

If you OK'd the potential trade for Carmelo and Billups and Billups wanted a buyout you'd be stuck with the following roster:

PG - Toney Douglas
    SG - Bill Walker
    SF - Carmelo Anthony
    PF - Amar'e Stoudemire
    C - Timofey Mozgov

Bench:

Wilson Chandler (or starting SG actually)
    Ronny Turiaf
    Andy Rautins
    Roger Mason Jr.
    Shawne Williams

That's not really going to win us any games. It may very well be the worst backcourt in the NBA.