What has Damntoni Done?

Instead of arguing about D'Antoni's past accomplishments, why can't he be judged on what he's doing with the NEW YORK KNICKS? Larry Brown had a better resume when he first came to NY, but despite his accomplishments, we all knew as fans that he had to go because of the complete mismanagement of the product on the floor. D'Antoni, on the other hand, is on his 3rd year, and I'm sorry, but he doesn't get a bye from me for the 1st two years, not when the 1st two years are showing the same tendencies as year 3.

In 2 and a half years, D'Antoni:

- has yet to get our Knicks to play above-average league defense (ranked 15th or higher):alert::alert::alert:
- has kept such a short rotation each season that our starters have continually burned out by mid-season
- has no accountability for his main stars (Amar'e/Felton, Lee/Duhon), while he unleashes his wrath on rookies/role players
- has implemented a system where the team chucks up 25+ 3's every game, despite the fact that the only player who's shooting above 40% from 3 is Shawne Williams, a bench role player.:barf::barf::barf:
- has an unnatural love for small ball, even when the opposing team is trotting out Dwight Howard/Bass or Odom/Bynum in the frontcourt, he'll put out a lineup with Chandler/Williams at PF/C cause "he wants more speed" on the court.:barf::barf:
- has a coaching staff of "yes men" -- his brother, Herb Williams, Phil Weber; and would balk at any suggestion of hiring a defensive coordinator or advance scout like Frank Lawrence.

For those who still support D'Antoni for whatever reason...do you honestly believe he can lead our team to a championship? And don't give me crap about how close he was in Phoenix. I don't care about what he did in Phoenix. I'm asking if you can see the NEW YORK KNICKS winning a championship playing this style, under this coach?

KingofNy

Starter
We will never win a Championship under D'Antoni... I also think that if we fired him no other team would pick him up as their HC. Why do we continue to employ him? The fans in Phoenix hated him when he was there and no one understood why. After seeing his style night after night for the last few years I understand why... He's no better at coaching offense than he is at coaching defense.

I'd like to see D'Antoni put up 120 points a night while fielding a "normal" lineup...Not just all speed guys that can shoot. Any coach in the league could run their offense the same way and have similar results...But unlike D'Antoni, they know that style of ball doesn't work, so they don't. D'Antoni is a terrible coach and leader and I hope he's fired after the season...

We will never win a Championship under D'Antoni... I also think that if we fired him no other team would pick him up as their HC. Why do we continue to employ him? The fans in Phoenix hated him when he was there and no one understood why. After seeing his style night after night for the last few years I understand why... He's no better at coaching offense than he is at coaching defense.

I'd like to see D'Antoni put up 120 points a night while fielding a "normal" lineup...Not just all speed guys that can shoot. Any coach in the league could run their offense the same way and have similar results...But unlike D'Antoni, they know that style of ball doesn't work, so they don't. D'Antoni is a terrible coach and leader and I hope he's fired after the season...
Word. People act like D'antoni is some offensive genius.

Defense, as they say, wins championships and it?s something that Mike hasn?t exactly been renowned for in his time in the league. The Knicks are allowing 106.0 points per game while scoring 106.3 per, for a differential of +.03. That means they are allowing the most points of any of the 16 teams currently holding a playoff spot while having the second worst point differential among playoff teams.:barf::barf::barf::barf::alert::alert: The Knicks have allowed their opponents to score 100 or more points 14 times over the last 20 games. To make matters worse, the Knicks stand as the only team in the entire league to lose to the 8-42 Cleveland Cavaliers over the Cavs last 33 games, giving up 109 points in that December 18th game, breaking up a Cavs losing streak that should stand at 33 games instead of 26.:barf::barf: From November 30th too now, the Knicks stand as one of only 7 teams that Cleveland managed to score 100 or more points against during that time. The other teams on that list are Memphis, New Jersey, Indiana, Toronto, Denver, and Phoenix. 109 points allowed vs Cleveland on December 18th, against a team that averages only 94 points a game. Defense is definitely not what Mike D?Antoni is renowned for.

What Mike D?Antoni is known for however is developing high scoring, highly entertaining, offenses. As entertaining as a fast break happy team is to watch, that style of play has not resulted in the number of wins expected from a team as talented as the Knicks, playing in a weak conference no less. Especially against strong playoff teams. Out of 8 games played against Atlanta, Orlando, Miami and Boston, the Knicks have allowed 100 or more points 6 times, losing all but one of those matches. In 3 games against the Lakers & Spurs they?ve allowed point totals of 115, 109 & 101, going 1-2 in those games. New York?s record against playoff bound teams now stands at 10-14, a record that includes 0-2 marks against Boston, Atlanta, and Philadelphia.:alert::alert::alert:

If Mike D?Antoni is fired, the Knicks will have to settle with one of his assistants becoming the interim head coach (not Herb Williams) until the off-season when New York will have several worthwhile candidates to choose from. While that situation is not ideal, it could give the Knicks a shot in the arm like similar situations have given the Bobcats and Pacers players a little extra motivation heading into the seasons? stretch run.:agreed::agreed::agreed:

Now lets talk about our potential head coaches for next season and beyond. Let?s start with Ron Adams, who was the former assistant coach for the Oklahoma City Thunder, credited by many for the development of the terrific defense they showed last year. In his absence the Thunder?s defense has suffered mightily while the Chicago Bulls (his current gig) have improved defensively. This move would not only provide the Knicks with a viable defensive minded head coach but weaken a conference rival in the process. The next potential hire is the more recognizable Nate McMillan, the current head coach of the Portland Trailblazers. With injuries ravaging his team season after season, McMillan still manages to find a way to get his players (those that are healthy anyway) to compete. He has issues with Blazers? ownership and is expected to be among the coaches searching for a job come seasons? end. The list of potential coaching hires includes Spurs assistant Mike Budenholzer, who?s regarded as an up and coming head coaching talent, former Knicks great and current assistant coach for the Orlando Magic Patrick Ewing, former Knicks head coach (& fan favorite) Jeff Van Gundy and former Knicks great Mark Jackson.

Now lets talk about our potential head coaches for next season and beyond. Let?s start with Ron Adams, who was the former assistant coach for the Oklahoma City Thunder, credited by many for the development of the terrific defense they showed last year. In his absence the Thunder?s defense has suffered mightily while the Chicago Bulls (his current gig) have improved defensively. This move would not only provide the Knicks with a viable defensive minded head coach but weaken a conference rival in the process.
I read this is in an article and i thought that he would be the PERFECT fit for us,i hope D'antoni gets fired and we get him.

CoolClyde

:agreed:
before Knicks beat the Heat recently, i heard a stat (not STAT) how the Knicks were like 1-15 when trailing entering the 4th quarter. that has got to be one of the worst in the league, and highlights how tired this team is in 4Q, esp when they're not hitting 3's or shooting over 50%. Other teams win with defense and can make stops in final quarter, but not Antoni's squad. the short rotation and lack of dee constantly rears it's ugly mustache head. if walsh can't bring another 2 superstars to this team, we don't stand a chance.

Maybe we should launch a trust and give $1000 each and buy the franchise from James Dolan!?

This guy is holding us back more than anything else.

Of course D'Antoni has to go, but Dolan will never employ the 'right' coach in NY to win a championship.

If we fail to make the Playoffs this year D'Antoni might get fired, but guess what Isiah will be the replacement or Herb Williams.

In case Isiah was ever going to return, I would just stop following the Knicks, until him and Dolan are both gone.

Toons

is the Bo$$
stupid thread.

THIS IS NOT A CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM. WE ARE INCOMPLETE. I DONT CARE IF JESUS THE CHRIST HIMSELF WAS COACH, WITH PHIL AND POP AS ASSISTANTS, THE KNICKS STILL WILL NOT WIN A RING WITH ITS CURRENT ROSTER.

SMH

YOU GUYS ARE DUMB.

So the Lakers would never win a ring with dantoni as coach? or boston? i cant wait to see the system when eveything is in place.

The system isnt flawed, the players are

KnicksFan112

Benchwarmer
Maybe we should launch a trust and give $1000 each and buy the franchise from James Dolan!?

Of course D'Antoni has to go, but Dolan will never employ the 'right' coach in NY to win a championship.

If we fail to make the Playoffs this year D'Antoni might get fired, but guess what Isiah will be the replacement or Herb Williams.

In case Isiah was ever going to return, I would just stop following the Knicks, until him and Dolan are both gone.

Finally, someone else is smelling the coffee. I would join you in not following the Knicks if Dolan brings back Isiah. In fact, I would even go further and become the biggest Knick hater of all time.

By the way, Dolan will never sell the Knicks. The team is a cash cow. Even losing and being the joke of the league, the team still ranks in the top 5 in revenue amongst the NBA.

KBlack25

Starter

This.

At least D'Antoni has us in the playoff hunt. The odds that if D'Antoni goes Isiah is brought back b/c of our owner is greater than 0, which is too high. I seriously fear the fallout if D'Antoni is fired...I honestly believe that Dolan might fire D'Antoni let Walsh go and bring in Isiah round 2, and soon enough we will have traded Stoudemire for Bynum and Odom, and Bynum would have gotten a 7 year 100 million extension.

The owner, to me, is the ultimate problem. Some say "Fire D'Antoni, Bring in Coach X Who I think Would Be Better"...but Dolan isn't going to do the latter, if he fires D'Antoni, mark my words, nobody better will be brought in.

MusketeerX

Rotation player
A new coach is needed now and not later. We need a coach that will actually accept more defensive players into the line-up before we are stocked with offensively prevalent players and stand no chance of winning a chip.

elcol

Rotation player
people can say whatever they want bout dantoni cuz he can run the offence pretty well but when it comes to defence this man is a disgrace to the game of basketball i have honestly never seen a coach will his team to play defense this badly some games i honestly want to be the defensive coordinator and think i could do it better..

people can say whatever they want bout dantoni cuz he can run the offence pretty well but when it comes to defence this man is a disgrace to the game of basketball i have honestly never seen a coach will his team to play defense this badly some games i honestly want to be the defensive coordinator and think i could do it better..
:agreed: Its also funny how Philadelphia is catching up to us when they have a worse roster than us.Doug Collins>Mike D'antoni

stupid thread.

THIS IS NOT A CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM. WE ARE INCOMPLETE. I DONT CARE IF JESUS THE CHRIST HIMSELF WAS COACH, WITH PHIL AND POP AS ASSISTANTS, THE KNICKS STILL WILL NOT WIN A RING WITH ITS CURRENT ROSTER.

SMH

YOU GUYS ARE DUMB.

So the Lakers would never win a ring with dantoni as coach? or boston? i cant wait to see the system when eveything is in place.

The system isnt flawed, the players are
Boston would NEVER win a championship with D'antoni as a coach,Boston is a defensive minded team and D'antoni doesn't know anything about defense.D'antoni's system is basically ignore defense score 120 points.Nate McMillan is a good coach because even though his team is plagued with injuries they still have a better record than us.Offense sells tickets,Defense wins championships.

MusketeerX

Rotation player
To show you how poor of a coach D'Antoni is, I say you need to look no further than the coaching capabilities of Tom Thibodeau. The man has his own legitimate MVP candidate in Derrek Rose, just like us, but his team has been plagued by injuries. Noah and Boozer have only played 9 games together, yet, they are right behind the Miami Heat for the second best team in the East.

The Bull's injured roster is not that much better than ours. HOWEVER, defense is what rules the NBA, and Tommy knows how to coach defense.

Now I know a bunch of you D'Antoni fanatics (lovable bunch that you are) are going to scream we beat the Bulls twice... but, I will have you at least contemplate the fact that we match up pretty well with that team, and it is highly unlikely we would win a 7 game series against them.

cathaytrader

Benchwarmer
I like Jeff Van Gundy as a coach. I think the Knicks should bring him back with Patrick Ewing as an assistant. If they truly believe that Mozgov has something in him then bring in PE to mentor the kid.

KBlack25

Starter
I like Jeff Van Gundy as a coach. I think the Knicks should bring him back with Patrick Ewing as an assistant. If they truly believe that Mozgov has something in him then bring in PE to mentor the kid.

I hear things like this all the time.

Bring back JVG

Bring in this guy

Bring in that guy

Bring in whomever

And nobody, not a one has ever considered that maybe JVG, guy x, y, z, a, b, c don't want to work for our insane owner...Maybe those guys DON'T want to be here...so we would be firing D'Antoni, paying his last year of salary, looking for a coach on a budget, having the team adjust to an entirely new system and philosophy, with 0 guarantee that we get anyone remotely better, that we even GET JVG (who would be better) because why on earth would JVG want to come back to work with our crazy owner, who was likely part of the reason he left in the first place?

The OWNER has to change before our coaching situation gets any better.