Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Melo to knicks, turned down by walsh

Hybrid View

Default Melo to knicks, turned down by walsh

Walsh turned down a gallo felton and curry deal for melo and billups. What you guys think?
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Good. Billups woulden't wanna play here anyway. He would ask for a buy out. He wants to retire at home in Denver.

I would have done it in no time! Gallo has improved lately but his shooting is still very erratic and mostly ineffective. Curry is just a fat contract we want to get rid off (oh the irony ) and Felton is the placeholder for a superstar PG (Paul/Williams).

All that for a franchise player...looks like a no brainer to me, even if Billups wanted a buyout I'd still give up Gallo and Felton for Melo any day!

Let Douglas start, he can at least defend (in contrast to Felton).

Melo to play Point Forward.

Originally Posted by Sprewell-Houston
    I would have done it in no time! Gallo has improved lately but his shooting is still very erratic and mostly ineffective. Curry is just a fat contract we want to get rid off (oh the irony ) and Felton is the placeholder for a superstar PG (Paul/Williams).

All that for a franchise player...looks like a no brainer to me, even if Billups wanted a buyout I'd still give up Gallo and Felton for Melo any day!

Let Douglas start, he can at least defend (in contrast to Felton).

Melo to play Point Forward.
    i agreeeee!!! Walsh blew it!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by welcometonycity
    i agreeeee!!! Walsh blew it!!!!!!!!!!
    Patience. If the offer went from Moz, Gallo, Fields, Chandler, Multiple picks to that in 3 days, imagine what it will be in 9 days.

Negotiation 101 here - Nuggets OFFERED that deal, that indicates the realistic ceiling, that means they are WILLING to take much less...

Originally Posted by KBlack25
    Patience. If the offer went from Moz, Gallo, Fields, Chandler, Multiple picks to that in 3 days, imagine what it will be in 9 days.

Negotiation 101 here - Nuggets OFFERED that deal, that indicates the realistic ceiling, that means they are WILLING to take much less...

Agree 100%, I'm sure we aren't giving all that up. If Denver doesn't budge I bet Donnie brings in some help for the remainder of the season anyways. Might not be exactly what NYers expect after all of this but it will be beneficial to the team. Donnie knows what he is doing. I trust him totally.

Veteran

The Nuggets are just being asses about the whole thing. It's all a bluffing game. I wouldn't be surprised is they didn't do a deal until the last second.

Here's a recent Quote from Peter Vecsey...

" Mercifully, this chapter shall come to a close in no later than nine shopping days. Either way, it says here, Carmelo Anthony gets left locally on the stoop of either the Nets or the Knicks. Contrary to what anonymous team officials allegedly are telling reporters, Anthony definitely will not be employed by the Nuggets after the Feb. 24 trade deadline. True, players can be dealt any time once their teamís season ends, but pitting the Knicks and Nets against each other in a bidding war will never be more advantageous than it is now. The closer Anthony gets to free agency, the less leverage, if any at all, the Nuggets own. Donít believe for a second owner Josh Kroenke will take a chance on Anthony reconsidering the $65 million extension if heís still a member of the Nuggets after the deadline, as he recently indicated. If Anthony were serious about re-upping for an additional three seasons, a commitment needed to be made long before trade negotiations went as far as they have. So, which suitor is it going to be, Knicks or Nets? Iím not even sure his employer or Anthonyís tattoo artist knows for sure. " End Quote

Veteran

Nyk Logo

If its true. Foolish move by walsh.

Its basically a gallo for melo straight up. Billups and felton cancel eachother out.

Also, if we don't pickup billups option for next year, we would have more flexability this summer and he can go back to denver in the summer

That said, bilups would play here. Denver doesn't want to be the one to not exercise his team option, so there no hard feeling towards mgmt and he can return there and roll into a front office job

Walsh. You gotta do this. Seems like the best trade we can get without gutting our roster

For the stretch

Bilups
    Fields
    Melo
    Amare
    Tmoz-baron

I'm ready to roll with that to finish up this year.

This is a good lineup.

Far better than the one we will be sending out next game

Billups can be key in the post season. And we might shock some people.

Do it donnie

If I were the GM of the Knicks, I would include a third team to sweeten the deal - A deal between the Knicks, Nuggets & Suns

Knicks get:
    Melo
    Nash
    Lopez
    Dudley

Suns get:
    Billups
    Anderson from Nuggets
    Chandler
    Shawne Williams or Bill Walker

Nuggets get:
    Gallo
    Eddy Curry
    1st round pick via trade for Randolph
    Felton

Done Deal

Originally Posted by moneyg
    If its true. Foolish move by walsh.

Its basically a gallo for melo straight up. Billups and felton cancel eachother out.

Also, if we don't pickup billups option for next year, we would have more flexability this summer and he can go back to denver in the summer

That said, bilups would play here. Denver doesn't want to be the one to not exercise his team option, so there no hard feeling towards mgmt and he can return there and roll into a front office job

Walsh. You gotta do this. Seems like the best trade we can get without gutting our roster

For the stretch

Bilups
    Fields
    Melo
    Amare
    Tmoz-baron

I'm ready to roll with that to finish up this year.

This is a good lineup.

Far better than the one we will be sending out next game

Billups can be key in the post season. And we might shock some people.

Do it donnie
    fields would likely be the 3rd starter. good move by walsh

Originally Posted by Toons
    fields would likely be the 3rd starter. good move by walsh
    I bet the third starter probably would of been Mosgov.

I sincerely doubt the nuggets made a concrete offer to the Knicks this early in the game. I also sincerely doubt that Walsh would turn that deal down so abruptly. The more that I think about it, I sincerely doubt every single "report" from real gm.

edit: Nevermind, I just realized that report originated from Frank Isola (who I trust infintely more than real gm - Also, Yahoo Sports is reporting it as well). So, in that case, I tend to agree with Donnie Walsh, that's a bit much. I really don't want to give up Felton unless I really have to. Let's keep playing Chicken and hope that Denver blinks first before we trade away our 26 year old point guard for Mr. Overrated, Chauncey Billups.
    Last edited by keyser soze; Feb 15, 2011 at 08:23.

Originally Posted by bboycustom92
    Walsh turned down a gallo felton and curry deal for melo and billups. What you guys think?
    I think Donnie knows he has wiggle room yet!....I'm hoping he's got a NENE up his sleeve..

According to the article in NY Daily News:

"The Nuggets, according to a source, are asking for three starters - including [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] and [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] - plus [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]'s expiring contract and at least one first-round pick. In that proposed deal, Anthony and veteran [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] would be coming to the Knicks."

It stings but you have to make this deal. First of all, Felton is a warrior but he is what he is... And he's only a stopgap PG anyway. Certainly not a dealbreaker. Billups is just as good and playoff tested. Billups would play here... why wouldn't he? Not playing for Nets is one thing... but to turn down a 2-year run with Melo/Amar'e?

In essence, Knicks are trading Anthony Randolph regardless. So that's mute. Swaping Carmelo for Gallo is a no-brainer. Billups for Felton a wash.

In other words, the cost of upgrading PG/SF (going from Felton-Gallo to Billups-MElo) is all for the price of Landry Fields? How do you not make this trade?

Word is Dolan will step in and make the trade anway.

If I told you last Summer... we trade a PG we don't have, Gallinari and a 2nd round pick for Billups-Carmelo... who wouldn't make this trade?

Billups
    Chandler
    Carmelo
    Amar'e
    Turiaf/Mozgov

Douglas, Williams, Walker off the bench.

*Let's not forget... Knicks can buyout Billups. This gives thm about 8-10 million to play with. Resign Chandler or go pursue a Big Baby and a PG. Stuff like that. They could make an offer for DeAndre Jordan and Marc Gasol... So much so that those clubs may not be able to match.
    I say we try to pry Luke Ridnour from Minny, or get a backup PG somewhere/somehow... and suddenly we are IN PLAY BABY!

i wish Donnie would've pulled the trigger on this...