Melo to knicks, turned down by walsh

LeFlume

All Star
Good. Billups woulden't wanna play here anyway. He would ask for a buy out. He wants to retire at home in Denver.

I would have done it in no time! Gallo has improved lately but his shooting is still very erratic and mostly ineffective. Curry is just a fat contract we want to get rid off (oh the irony :thumbsup:) and Felton is the placeholder for a superstar PG (Paul/Williams).

All that for a franchise player...looks like a no brainer to me, even if Billups wanted a buyout I'd still give up Gallo and Felton for Melo any day!

Let Douglas start, he can at least defend (in contrast to Felton).

Melo to play Point Forward.

moneyg

Starter
If its true. Foolish move by walsh.

Its basically a gallo for melo straight up. Billups and felton cancel eachother out.

Also, if we don't pickup billups option for next year, we would have more flexability this summer and he can go back to denver in the summer

That said, bilups would play here. Denver doesn't want to be the one to not exercise his team option, so there no hard feeling towards mgmt and he can return there and roll into a front office job

Walsh. You gotta do this. Seems like the best trade we can get without gutting our roster

For the stretch

Bilups
Fields
Melo
Amare
Tmoz-baron

I'm ready to roll with that to finish up this year.

This is a good lineup.

Far better than the one we will be sending out next game

Billups can be key in the post season. And we might shock some people.

Do it donnie

diddy_nyc

Rookie
If I were the GM of the Knicks, I would include a third team to sweeten the deal - A deal between the Knicks, Nuggets & Suns

Knicks get:
Melo
Nash
Lopez
Dudley

Suns get:
Billups
Anderson from Nuggets
Chandler
Shawne Williams or Bill Walker

Nuggets get:
Gallo
Eddy Curry
1st round pick via trade for Randolph
Felton

Done Deal

keyser soze

Benchwarmer
I sincerely doubt the nuggets made a concrete offer to the Knicks this early in the game. I also sincerely doubt that Walsh would turn that deal down so abruptly. The more that I think about it, I sincerely doubt every single "report" from real gm.

edit: Nevermind, I just realized that report originated from Frank Isola (who I trust infintely more than real gm - Also, Yahoo Sports is reporting it as well). So, in that case, I tend to agree with Donnie Walsh, that's a bit much. I really don't want to give up Felton unless I really have to. Let's keep playing Chicken and hope that Denver blinks first before we trade away our 26 year old point guard for Mr. Overrated, Chauncey Billups.

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
According to the article in NY Daily News:

"The Nuggets, according to a source, are asking for three starters - including Danilo Gallinari and Raymond Felton - plus Eddy Curry's expiring contract and at least one first-round pick. In that proposed deal, Anthony and veteran point guard Chauncey Billups would be coming to the Knicks."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...k_at_request_for_gallinari_felton_starte.html

It stings but you have to make this deal. First of all, Felton is a warrior but he is what he is... And he's only a stopgap PG anyway. Certainly not a dealbreaker. Billups is just as good and playoff tested. Billups would play here... why wouldn't he? Not playing for Nets is one thing... but to turn down a 2-year run with Melo/Amar'e?

In essence, Knicks are trading Anthony Randolph regardless. So that's mute. Swaping Carmelo for Gallo is a no-brainer. Billups for Felton a wash.

In other words, the cost of upgrading PG/SF (going from Felton-Gallo to Billups-MElo) is all for the price of Landry Fields? How do you not make this trade?

Word is Dolan will step in and make the trade anway.

If I told you last Summer... we trade a PG we don't have, Gallinari and a 2nd round pick for Billups-Carmelo... who wouldn't make this trade?

Billups
Chandler
Carmelo
Amar'e
Turiaf/Mozgov

Douglas, Williams, Walker off the bench.

*Let's not forget... Knicks can buyout Billups. This gives thm about 8-10 million to play with. Resign Chandler or go pursue a Big Baby and a PG. Stuff like that. They could make an offer for DeAndre Jordan and Marc Gasol... So much so that those clubs may not be able to match.
I say we try to pry Luke Ridnour from Minny, or get a backup PG somewhere/somehow... and suddenly we are IN PLAY BABY!

Deathstroke

Benchwarmer
You guys know whose probably really holding up this deal right? Dantoni, he's probably threatening to quit if they trade Gallo, I doubt Donnie honestly
cares about Felton, especially for Billups but I could be wrong, know if it was for Will this deal was probably done in no time at all

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
No what's probably holding up this deal is the fact that Denver asked for three starters.

Fields, Gallo, Felton, Curry, Randolph for Carmelo and Billups.

Billups would probably ask for a buyout cause he wants to go back to Denver. I'd love if we could swing Nene or Birdman then you maybe consider the deal, but for Billups who's probably going to want out...

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
Billups might not want to play here. So we go from having a good PG, to possibly Toney Douglas. And I read on realgm.com that the Nugs were asking for another starter along with Gallo, Curry, Felton, and the 1st rounder.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
No doubt if it were Gallo, Curry, Felton, and Randolph for Melo and Billups you do the deal.

But if it's Gallo, Curry, Felton, Randolph and Fields...it's tough for the Knicks to pull the trigger on that when Carmelo may sign as an FA anyway.

nyk_nyk

All Star
No what's probably holding up this deal is the fact that Denver asked for three starters.

Fields, Gallo, Felton, Curry, Randolph for Carmelo and Billups.

Billups would probably ask for a buyout cause he wants to go back to Denver. I'd love if we could swing Nene or Birdman then you maybe consider the deal, but for Billups who's probably going to want out...

If Melo had 2 years left on his deal, Walsh would do this yesterday. Its only because he feels DEN will be pressured by the deadline that he's taking a hard stance on this. He cant give up too much now if he's thinks DEN will lower their asking price at 11:59pm.

KnickfanaticinGA

Benchwarmer
"The Nuggets, according to a source, are asking for three starters - including Danilo Gallinari and Raymond Felton - plus Eddy Curry's expiring contract and at least one first-round pick."

That's a hefty price fro Melo and Billups as I'm sure that 3rd starter would be Fields. Now if we could put Will in place of that I'd pull the trigger...

Hayato

Benchwarmer
No doubt if it were Gallo, Curry, Felton, and Randolph for Melo and Billups you do the deal.

But if it's Gallo, Curry, Felton, Randolph and Fields...it's tough for the Knicks to pull the trigger on that when Carmelo may sign as an FA anyway.

i dont even think melo would WANT to play with 3 starters off the roster...would he?

nyk1986

Benchwarmer
Anyone think Donnie can swing something like this?

Successful Trade Scenario
Congratulations on a successful trade.

Due to New York and Denver being over the cap, the 25% trade rule is invoked. New York and Denver had to be no more than 125% plus $100,000 of the salary given out unless trade exceptions were used for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Trade ID
Trade ID #5848408

Every trade made by fans is allocated a unique Trade ID which you can share with friends and fellow basketball fans to allow them to see your trade scenario.

Try Another Trade or visit our Trade Forum.

New York Trade Breakdown
Change in Team Outlook: -5.1 ppg, -1.5 rpg, and -3.2 apg.

<table class="breakdowntable" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <th colspan="2" scope="col">Incoming Players</th> </tr> <tr> <td class="photo">
Anthony_Carmelo_den.jpg
</td> <td> Carmelo Anthony
26.5 year old , 6-8, 230 lb F from Syracuse
24.9 ppg, 7.5 rpg, 2.8 apg in 35.3 minutes </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="photo">
player_photo.jpg
</td> <td class="even"> Nene Hilario
28 year old , 6-11, 260 lb C-F from CR Vasco da Gama (Brazil)
15.1 ppg, 7.2 rpg, 2.1 apg in 30.7 minutes </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="photo">
Ely_Melvin_noh.jpg
</td> <td class="even"> Melvin Ely
32.5 year old , 6-10, 260 lb C-F from Fresno State
2.1 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 0.5 apg in 12.6 minutes </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="photo">
Flynn_Jonny_min.jpg
</td> <td class="even"> Jonny Flynn
22 year old , 6-0, 185 lb G from Syracuse
5.8 ppg, 1.5 rpg, 3.3 apg in 19.7 minutes </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="photo">
Telfair_Sebastian_min.jpg
</td> <td> Sebastian Telfair
25.5 year old , 6-0, 165 lb G from Abraham Lincoln High School (New York)
7.8 ppg, 1.3 rpg, 3.1 apg in 20.0 minutes </td> </tr> </tbody></table> <table class="breakdowntable" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <th colspan="2" scope="col">Outgoing Players</th> </tr> <tr> <td class="photo">
Curry_Eddy_nyk.jpg
</td> <td> Eddy Curry
28 year old , 6-11, 285 lb C from Thornwood High School (Illinois)
No games yet played in 2010-2011</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="photo">
Felton_Raymond_cha.jpg
</td> <td class="even"> Raymond Felton
26.5 year old , 6-1, 198 lb G from North Carolina
17.2 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 9.0 apg in 38.4 minutes</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="photo">
Turiaf_Ronny_gsw.jpg
</td> <td> Ronny Turiaf
28 year old , 6-10, 249 lb C-F from Gonzaga
4.8 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 1.6 apg in 18.6 minutes</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="photo">
Gallinari_Danilo_nyk.jpg
</td> <td class="even"> Danilo Gallinari
22.5 year old , 6-10, 225 lb F from Olimpia Milano (Italy)
15.9 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 1.7 apg in 34.8 minutes</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="photo">
Azubuike_Kelenna_gsw.jpg
</td> <td> Kelenna Azubuike
27 year old , 6-5, 220 lb F-G from Kentucky
No games yet played in 2010-2011</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="photo">
Chandler_Wilson_nyk.jpg
</td> <td class="even"> Wilson Chandler
23.5 year old , 6-8, 220 lb F from DePaul
16.4 ppg, 6.0 rpg, 1.7 apg in 34.5 minutes</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="photo">
Randolph_Anthony_gsw.jpg
</td> <td> Anthony Randolph
21.5 year old , 6-10, 210 lb F from LSU
2.1 ppg, 2.4 rpg, 0.4 apg in 7.5 minutes</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="photo">
Walker_Bill_bos.jpg
</td> <td class="even"> Bill Walker
23 year old , 6-6, 220 lb G-F from Kansas State
4.6 ppg, 1.7 rpg, 0.5 apg in 12.3 minutes</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

Denver Trade Breakdown
Change in Team Outlook: +25.5 ppg, +6.4 rpg, and +10.3 apg.

<table class="breakdowntable" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <th colspan="2" scope="col">Incoming Players</th> </tr> <tr> <td class="photo">
Felton_Raymond_cha.jpg
</td> <td class="even"> Raymond Felton
26.5 year old , 6-1, 198 lb G from North Carolina
17.2 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 9.0 apg in 38.4 minutes </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="photo">
Turiaf_Ronny_gsw.jpg
</td> <td> Ronny Turiaf
28 year old , 6-10, 249 lb C-F from Gonzaga
4.8 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 1.6 apg in 18.6 minutes </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="photo">
Gallinari_Danilo_nyk.jpg
</td> <td class="even"> Danilo Gallinari
22.5 year old , 6-10, 225 lb F from Olimpia Milano (Italy)
15.9 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 1.7 apg in 34.8 minutes </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="photo">
Azubuike_Kelenna_gsw.jpg
</td> <td> Kelenna Azubuike
27 year old , 6-5, 220 lb F-G from Kentucky
No games yet played in 2010-2011 </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="photo">
Chandler_Wilson_nyk.jpg
</td> <td class="even"> Wilson Chandler
23.5 year old , 6-8, 220 lb F from DePaul
16.4 ppg, 6.0 rpg, 1.7 apg in 34.5 minutes </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="photo">
Walker_Bill_bos.jpg
</td> <td class="even"> Bill Walker
23 year old , 6-6, 220 lb G-F from Kansas State
4.6 ppg, 1.7 rpg, 0.5 apg in 12.3 minutes </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="photo">
Brewer_Corey_min.jpg
</td> <td> Corey Brewer
24.5 year old , 6-9, 188 lb F from Florida
8.7 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 1.4 apg in 24.4 minutes </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="photo">
Koufos_Kosta_uta.jpg
</td> <td class="even"> Kosta Koufos
21.5 year old , 7-0, 265 lb C from Ohio State
2.7 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 0.2 apg in 8.6 minutes </td> </tr> </tbody></table> <table class="breakdowntable" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <th colspan="2" scope="col">Outgoing Players</th> </tr> <tr> <td class="photo">
Anthony_Carmelo_den.jpg
</td> <td> Carmelo Anthony
26.5 year old , 6-8, 230 lb F from Syracuse
24.9 ppg, 7.5 rpg, 2.8 apg in 35.3 minutes</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="photo">
player_photo.jpg
</td> <td class="even"> Nene Hilario
28 year old , 6-11, 260 lb C-F from CR Vasco da Gama (Brazil)
15.1 ppg, 7.2 rpg, 2.1 apg in 30.7 minutes</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="photo">
Balkman_Renaldo_den.jpg
</td> <td> Renaldo Balkman
26.5 year old , 6-8, 208 lb F from South Carolina
2.6 ppg, 0.8 rpg, 0.4 apg in 8.8 minutes</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="photo">
Ely_Melvin_noh.jpg
</td> <td class="even"> Melvin Ely
32.5 year old , 6-10, 260 lb C-F from Fresno State
2.1 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 0.5 apg in 12.6 minutes</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

Minnesota Trade Breakdown
Change in Team Outlook: -20.4 ppg, -4.9 rpg, and -7.2 apg.

Curry_Eddy_nyk.jpg
</td> <td> Eddy Curry
28 year old , 6-11, 285 lb C from Thornwood High School (Illinois)
No games yet played in 2010-2011 </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="photo">
Randolph_Anthony_gsw.jpg
</td> <td> Anthony Randolph
21.5 year old , 6-10, 210 lb F from LSU
2.1 ppg, 2.4 rpg, 0.4 apg in 7.5 minutes </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="photo">
Balkman_Renaldo_den.jpg
</td> <td> Renaldo Balkman
26.5 year old , 6-8, 208 lb F from South Carolina
2.6 ppg, 0.8 rpg, 0.4 apg in 8.8 minutes </td> </tr> </tbody></table> <table class="breakdowntable" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <th colspan="2" scope="col">Outgoing Players</th> </tr> <tr> <td class="photo">
Brewer_Corey_min.jpg
</td> <td> Corey Brewer
24.5 year old , 6-9, 188 lb F from Florida
8.7 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 1.4 apg in 24.4 minutes</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="photo">
Flynn_Jonny_min.jpg
</td> <td class="even"> Jonny Flynn
22 year old , 6-0, 185 lb G from Syracuse
5.8 ppg, 1.5 rpg, 3.3 apg in 19.7 minutes</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="photo">
Telfair_Sebastian_min.jpg
</td> <td> Sebastian Telfair
25.5 year old , 6-0, 165 lb G from Abraham Lincoln High School (New York)
7.8 ppg, 1.3 rpg, 3.1 apg in 20.0 minutes</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="photo">
Koufos_Kosta_uta.jpg
</td> <td class="even"> Kosta Koufos
21.5 year old , 7-0, 265 lb C from Ohio State
2.7 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 0.2 apg in 8.6 minutes</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

Trade ID#5848408

I would be able to handle that a bit more than giving Ray for an aging Billups who doesn't want to be here. Bassy's and Ely's contract's both expire this summer. We get Melo and a solid defensive minded rebounding 5 man finally.