Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: The Symphony Of Science

  1. #1
    Evacuee Crazy⑧s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    6,486
    Rep Power
    27

    Default The Symphony Of Science

    A stepping stone.






    This is not all of SOS's videos. If you enjoy them, let them inspire you to look further in to the miracle that is existence!

    RIP - Carl Sagan - Thanks to LJ for the inspiration.

  2. #2
    Enlightened OGKnickfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    944
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    This was really, really funny and entertaining. Thumbs up.

  3. #3
    Evacuee Crazy⑧s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    6,486
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Enlightened/bitter
    Last edited by Crazy⑧s; Feb 18, 2011 at 11:46. Reason: ghandi pic ironically wouldn't appear - broken link, やっぱり

  4. #4
    Enlightened OGKnickfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    944
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Originally Posted by Crazy⑧s
    Enlightened/bitter
    Lighten up, crazy8s.

    I am sorry you were offended, but I was not speaking about the content, which, to me, is interesting. It is just funny to watch and listen to this because it mixes weird pictures, voice alteration, techno music and funny pictures of old people, moving in slow-motion.

    It is basically like dropping shrooms.

    As for atheism, I respect atheism, when it is devoid of cynicism and bitterness toward theism. Mean-spirited atheism is, to me, like mean-spirited theism, not conducive to building bridges with one another, which will ultimately make it so that we can all be connected by mutual respect and compassion.

    PEACE, brother.

  5. #5
    Evacuee Crazy⑧s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    6,486
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Originally Posted by OGKnickfan
    Lighten up, crazy8s.

    I am sorry you were offended, but I was not speaking about the content, which, to me, is interesting. It is just funny to watch and listen to this because it mixes weird pictures, voice alteration, techno music and funny pictures of old people, moving in slow-motion.

    It is basically like dropping shrooms.

    As for atheism, I respect atheism, when it is devoid of cynicism and bitterness toward theism. Mean-spirited atheism is, to me, like mean-spirited theism, not conducive to building bridges with one another, which will ultimately make it so that we can all be connected by mutual respect and compassion.

    PEACE, brother.
    Oop..Sorry.

    I presumed you were of other intent.

    It is interesting, isn't it!

  6. #6
    Enlightened OGKnickfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    944
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Originally Posted by Crazy⑧s
    Oop..Sorry.

    I presumed you were of other intent.

    It is interesting, isn't it!

    Definitely: in addition to being fascinating, I just thought they were so funny. I should have made that clear. My favorite was #2, with Hawkings.

    I watched all four, plus some others on youtube. They aren't really attacking religion, but, rather, they are promoting the spirituality of atheism, science, etc. I am all for that.

    I support people trying to find the beauty inherent in real spirituality, which is not what one gets from focusing on religious rules and bickering over trivialities.

    At the same time, atheism can also become rules-based and self-righteous.

    We need to respect others, no matter what, as part of what we believe.

    Good post.

    PEACE

  7. #7
    Evacuee Crazy⑧s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    6,486
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Originally Posted by OGKnickfan
    Definitely: in addition to being fascinating, I just thought they were so funny. I should have made that clear. My favorite was #2, with Hawkings.

    I watched all four, plus some others on youtube. They aren't really attacking religion, but, rather, they are promoting the spirituality of atheism, science, etc. I am all for that.

    I support people trying to find the beauty inherent in real spirituality, which is not what one gets from focusing on religious rules and bickering over trivialities.

    At the same time, atheism can also become rules-based and self-righteous.

    We need to respect others, no matter what, as part of what we believe.

    Good post.

    PEACE
    Personally, I can't see what's more spiritually uplifting than being interlinked with every infinitesimal part of something as amazing as the universe.

    If there are any rules to be applied, IMO, the most outstanding is to be a protecter of this one, great amalgamation of life! It was/is/continues to be everything.

  8. #8
    Enlightened OGKnickfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    944
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Originally Posted by Crazy⑧s
    Personally, I can't see what's more spiritually uplifting than being interlinked with every infinitesimal part of something as amazing as the universe.

    If there are any rules to be applied, IMO, the most outstanding is to be a protecter of this one, great amalgamation of life! It was/is/continues to be everything.
    If you listen to video #2, you hear a woman say that science is the mind of God. This is a huge abstraction, like that of much of spirituality, which is great. That's deep! I try to urge atheists to think like her: immerse themselves in finding meaning in science or "reality," independent of antagonism toward religion. However, this all still requires abstraction: it is just how our mind works.

    Unfortunately, many atheists I have met find meaning in being antagonistic toward religion. This makes them suffer: frustration, wanting to control others, by changing them, etc., needlessly. One cannot avoid suffering, if being antagonistic. I think we can propose our ideas, but we must respect others [in the process] and even be ready to see some beauty in their beliefs.

    And religion is not just about people pseudo-scientifically explaining the world to themselves, though many foolishly do. I know that religion does not, in many instances, tell me about the physical world. Many others realize this. We love these figures and books for much deeper, non-scientific reasons. This is why people will always have faith.

    For example, to me, spirituality, learning about, and from, The Buddha, Jesus, Krishna (Hinduism), Mahavir (Jainism), Nanak (Sikhism), Lao Tzu (Taoism), the various Saints [from amongst the religions], is about the very practical teachings they blessed us with. They tell us how we can be happy, right now (not in heaven or paradise), how to overcome suffering, how to be compassionate, how to find the shame that brings our egotistical fortresses tumbling down, and, most importantly, how to truly love.

    Found in both theism and atheism, it is the icy, neglected, mechanical heart that has been the perpetual foe of inner progress. We are not empirical machines.
    Last edited by OGKnickfan; Feb 19, 2011 at 10:50.

Similar Threads

  1. what does the bible really teach?
    By Knicks4lyfe in forum Hangout
    Replies: 302
    Last Post: Apr 12, 2011, 02:32
  2. 'Missing Link' in human evolution found
    By LJ4ptplay in forum Hangout
    Replies: 94
    Last Post: Mar 06, 2011, 21:14
  3. All things evolution
    By Knicks4lyfe in forum Hangout
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Feb 13, 2011, 21:13
  4. Athiests on a crusade
    By Knicks4lyfe in forum Hangout
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Feb 02, 2011, 22:02
  5. Debunking Ape man ancestor myth- WOW.
    By Knicks4lyfe in forum Hangout
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Oct 03, 2009, 21:28

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •