Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: OFFICIAL: ANTI-D'Antoni Thread

Brewer & Shelden Williams should both provide better defense off the bench, & possibly Balkman if he ever gets any run, so that should help our weakness there, but until we bring in a defensive minded starter calibre C then Turiaf is gonna have to hold down the fort. I like the defense that Billups will bring at the PG position & Fields is solid, so our backcourt D shouldn't be too bad either. We're just vulnerable inside with Melo & STAT, hopefully there's another trade in the works to acquire someone like Dalembert or Camby. If we equip MDA with a legit defensive starting C that can block shots, then really there should be no reason why this team can't play top level defense.

>>>>> Bump

I agree with this thread

Thumbs down Smfh...

Giving a team the day off has its benefits, although it is interesting that D'Antoni has routinely bemoaned the lack of practice time since the Anthony deal was consummated on Feb. 21. The fact is, the Knicks have had chances to hold plenty of practices and or film sessions but D'Antoni elects not to. For example, over the last six days the Knicks could have held five practices/film sessions and they had just one.

For the past two seasons, D'Antoni has decided not to hold morning shootarounds on game days. The vast majority of teams conduct home and road shootarounds, unless they are playing back-to-back days. A shootaround usually runs from 45 minutes to an hour, although Pat Riley and Phil Jackson are renowned for occasionally going two hours.

The Knicks' only schedule shootarounds on the road, which is one reason why D'Antoni is called a player's coach. But the Knicks' suspect home record the past two years, plus their struggles since adding Anthony and Billups, leave D'Antoni vulnerable to criticism. The Knicks are 19-16 at the Garden this season. They have a rabid fan base but hardly a home-court advantage.
    We'll that answers what would Phil do.
    Not even a meeting, walk through,

A power point?

Life is good when you get $6 mil to come up with excuses.

I don't do excuses!

Originally Posted by Red
    We'll that answers what would Phil do.
    Not even a meeting, walk through,

A power point?

Life is good when you get $6 mil to come up with excuses.

I don't do excuses!
    MDA is renown for his short practices, 45 minute sessions are not an anomaly with this head coach. He thinks that saving their legs gives them more energy to run his uptempo system. In some ways you can understand the logic but when your team is looking like crap because they can't get on the same page because of a lack of practice time you would think holding at least a walk through of some sort would be beneficial. Apparently MDA doesn't believe his team needs it.

Just rereading some of this stuff makes me wanna say I told you so, but I wont...

Media This Thread Must Be Resurrected Until Mike Goes!

Originally Posted by Clyde & The Pearl
    Just rereading some of this stuff makes me wanna say I told you so, but I wont...
    Read it and weep.

More to come...
    That's how Rajon Rondo made his bones. As a former shot-distributor in the ABA, NBA and Italy, it's unfathomable D'Antoni fails to grasp the intense difficulty to divide shots among Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce and Ray Allen to their satisfaction.
    Finding a substitute for Billups would be impossible. Finding someone who specializes in blocked shots, defense and rebounding (two out of three ain't bad) would be next to impossible. Who can they secure for $8 million carved between two bigs, maybe three -- Samuel Dalembert, Reggie Evans, Kenyon Martin, Nazr Mohammed, Kwame Brown, Jeff Foster?
    That's why it pays to stick with Billups. Yes, his salary puts the Knicks over the cap, but it solidifies the second most important position. And by keeping him, it permits the Knicks to use the $5 million mid-level exception (if the new CBA doesn't eliminate it) to split between two of the aforementioned players.

That brings us to D'Antoni's shaky status. Who cares that he took the Suns twice to the Western Conference finals? Alvin Gentry took the same talent there last season. What's important is how well D'Antoni coached the Knicks in the playoffs, with or without all his talent. Pretty lousy, from what I observed.
    While we live in world of diminished expectations -- the Mysterious J. can attest to that -- D'Antoni lowered the limbo bar. Save for a couple stretches when I suspect the Celtics dozed rather than the Knicks dazzled, his team came home for two games and did not compete . . . and that simply does not compute.
    "Boston today is a better team than we are in every sense of the word."

This quote was brought to you by a guy who's 50-50 to get outcoached by Kurt Rambis, Roy Rubin and Red Klotz. So, we have a franchise which has lost its last ten playoff games led by a (lame-duck?) coach who has lost 10 of his last 11.
    D'Antoni doesn't deserve to get more time just because the Knicks tanked his first two seasons. This is his 17th on the sidelines. It's not like he figures to get better at the job if given more years. If he can't react to adverse situations now why prolong his stay just because he's owed $6 million? It's like keeping a player who stinks just because he's making important money.

The best time to evaluate a coach is when things go wrong, not when they're winning. When you're down and out, you've got to do something, think of something that's helpful. What did D'Antoni do of consequence for the Knicks when they were hurting and undermanned?

Melo and Amar'e got swept and look what they did? They were not rendered useless. D'Antoni was rendered useless.
    After Sunday's column, I got an e-mail from a prominent former NBA coach. While he agreed D'Antoni "basically had been outcoached by Doc Rivers
    , he's probably a little better than u had him in last article.
    "Mike is essentially another Nellie (Don Nelson). Wants to coach a wide open game with no big men and then complains he never had a big man."

I don't believe for a silly second Walsh -- or Dolan, should he dictate the decision -- will do the right thing and ditch D'Antoni, especially following endorsements by Stoudemire (effusive) and Anthony (milquetoast).

(FYI: superstars are notorious for expressing one sentiment publicly and going the opposite way privately to management.)
    Unlike Billups, D'Antoni would be easy to replace. Mark Jackson should've been hired initially. ABC-ESPN viewers are praying Jeff Van Gundy returns to the office. Mike Brown is unemployed. And Rick Adelman still wants to coach.

Look how the Rockets played the last two years without Yao Ming. I've yet to hear anyone knock his ability or say it wasn't fun playing for him.
    Calm yourself; Thomas has no shot to resurrect his coaching or front office career with the Knicks. If he did, if Dolan was truly considering bringing him back, the False Prophet would not be trying to manipulate every influential journalist within the sound of his voice.

Originally Posted by Red
    Read it and weep.

More to come...
    Who wrote that?

Originally Posted by KBlack25
    Who wrote that?
    Awww man Black.... who cares!

Vecey frm the post. And guess what "I hate his articles, whether I agree with them or not". But relevant IMO none the less.

Its just a matter of time.

Originally Posted by Red

Vecey frm the post. And guess what "I hate his articles, whether I agree with them or not". But relevant IMO none the less.

In time for what?

Originally Posted by AmareForPresident
    In time for what?
    Before the axe gets dropped on DA's neck.

Originally Posted by knicksman20
    Before the axe gets dropped on DA's neck.
    LOL. Not exactly but a matter of time before this City and mega-media stop offering excuses and start calling this guy out, and for his head as you stated.

"Mike is essentially another Nellie (Don Nelson). Wants to coach a wide open game with no big men and then complains he never had a big man

This is it in a nutshell. How the heck could this guy complain when he doesnt use the Bigs we have or have had?

Originally Posted by Red

I care who wrote it -

If it was a blog poster who started a blogspot website it's less valuable than if it is a beat writer.

Additionally, I was interested to read the whole thing.

Originally Posted by KBlack25
    I care who wrote it -

If it was a blog poster who started a blogspot website it's less valuable than if it is a beat writer.

Additionally, I was interested to read the whole thing.
    Oh my bad i assumed th link was at the bottom.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Is Vescey up to your standards?lol