Could Donnie Walsh fold!?!?

TruOrngnBlu

Benchwarmer
"remember, when the Knicks were trying a year ago to acquire the cap space (through the Tracy McGrady trade) to make a run at two max-salary free agents, it was Walsh who blinked in the end and relinquished everything the Rockets were demanding."

"Bottom line: Somebody is going to have to yield, and the educated guess here is that it will end up being the Knicks -- and the player they'll ultimately surrender to get the deal done will be either Gallinari or Fields."

2 quotes from this article:http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nba/columns/story?columnist=sheridan_chris&id=6130436

Suggest Donnie may have to give up the farm to get a deal done.
I am with most here, liking the way Donnie hasn't paniced thus far, but when push comes to shove will he let this deal sail by because he wouldn't give up the goods??

I hold out faith that he doesn't fold and he rapes the Nuggets, but he's proven he's willing to take a risk in order to move foward.

I wouldn't give up Landry Fields. The guy has somthing you can't teach. His attitude, rebounding instinct, hustle plays and athleticism are all top notch and I'm sure he'll work very hard on his jump shot and general scoring ability in the summer. Landry Fields could end up as a great player in this league.

Denver can have Chandler, Gallo or Randolph, but STAT and Fields are not up for a trade imo.

I'd rather not get Melo and develop our own players than giving up all of our talent for one player.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
I wouldn't give up Landry Fields. The guy has somthing you can't teach. His attitude, rebounding instinct, hustle plays and athleticism are all top notch and I'm sure he'll work very hard on his jump shot and general scoring ability in the summer. Landry Fields could end up as a great player in this league.

Denver can have Chandler, Gallo or Randolph, but STAT and Fields are not up for a trade imo.

I'd rather not get Melo and develop our own players than giving up all of our talent for one player.
Same. I love all our players, we have a good group of guys, but Fields is THE guy you wanna keep. You can even say he's the best player on the team. Not the most dominant, but maybe one day he will be up there. We basically got the number 1 pick in the draft!

Last edited:

Agreed i can picture Fields becoming a beast in next two years i really don't want to give him up.plus if melo comes Fields is bound to get better.Denver can have anyone except STAT,Fields,and Felton.

tiger0330

Legend
Channing Frye also had a very good rookie year and has turned out to be a very pedestrian player. Fields might be the same but if I was Denver he would be a must have if I were to do a deal with the Knicks.

Still I like Donnie's strategy in taking a hard line in the negotiations. We can't beat the Net's proposed deal so why try. If Melo tells the Nets officially "I will not play for you" put the pressure on Denver to accept our offer or risk losing him for nothing.

Channing Frye also had a very good rookie year and has turned out to be a very pedestrian player. Fields might be the same but if I was Denver he would be a must have if I were to do a deal with the Knicks.

Still I like Donnie's strategy in taking a hard line in the negotiations. We can't beat the Net's proposed deal so why try. If Melo tells the Nets officially "I will not play for you" put the pressure on Denver to accept our offer or risk losing him for nothing.

I think Frye had an even better sophmore season and then got axed by Isiah for Z-Bo.

But Fields brings more to the table in terms of energy and passion than Frye. I think he could turn out to be a 'nice guy' version of Sprewell.

I wouldn't call Fields the number 1 pick this draft. I'm sure Wall and Turner will be higher value players in 2-3 years, but he's definitely better than Olowokandi, Kwame and Bogut - who were all number 1 picks

smh

Kiyaman

Legend
I have to agree about Donnie Walsh doing everything wrong from the start of go. Walsh shouldve never let the world know he had a "2010-Plan" on his arrival in New York. The signing of celebrity coach Dantoni was a foolish move when we had coach Herb Williams & Mark Aquire who knew the ins and outs of all the players. The two coaches job wouldve been on the line their first season in charge. The T-Mac trade was the official "icing on the cake" to FIRE Donnie Walsh for not firing coach Dantoni.

Our born "NBA veteran" rookie Landry Fields 39th pick in the draft actually saved the Knicks 2010-11 season with his consistent outstanding performance at being the Knicks best "team-player" on the court.
Both Knick management (Isiah & Walsh) refuse to put a SG on the Knicks, both being happy with the bad decision-making of Jamal Crawford leading the point as the team SG. I knew Dantoni was the wrong decision when the only Knick player he spoke highly of was Crawford on his arrival to New York.

Resigning SG-T-Mac was not in the Knicks 2010-Plan, and a 20 minute SG-T-Mac wouldve been perfect for our guard rotation with SG-Fields, PG-Douglas, and PG-Felton. We would always have fresh leg guards on the court, rather than run Felton to death with 40 mpg.

Donnie Walsh better not pull the deal for Carmelo Anthony, Walsh let coach Dantoni invest two season teams on the developement of "Gallo" into the NBA. This Carmelo fiasco has lit a fire under Gallo b/c Gallo has improved his skills in so many areas that Kiyaman made him a keeper. And Wilson Chandler is the right fit SF on offense/defense/rebounding for $100M PF-Amare.
Donnie Walsh attention should be on trading for Memphis FA C-Gasol, and trading Rottens/Mason Jr./and Walker for a decent 20 minute scoring-guard.
I would take a chance on the Rockets PG-Brooks to use as our backup SG in a lineup with PG-Douglas relentless defense.

Carmelo Anthony does not fit on this Knick team. We dont need any 35 minutes of nondefensive players that will hold us back in the Eastern Conference. The Knicks need two SF to wear down Lebron & Pierce, and two SG to wear down D.Wade & Ray Allan.
Stop thinking or believing Carmelo high scoring can compete with old-Pierce or King James in a series...
Its not happening anytime soon
:smokin: :gony: :smokin:

skisloper

Starter
You guys make no sense.....NO GM makes every correct decision. There goal is to secure the future...

So here we are 2 years later.

1. We have a 500 Team.
2. We are the youngest team in the NBA.
3. We have Amare locked for 5 years.
4. Enough cap space to sign a star player in 2011.
5. Enough Cap space to sign a star player in 2012.

Yes mistakes along the way but if someone would have told me 2 years ago this is the position Donnie would have put us in I would have signed on the dotted line.

APPRECIATE WHERE WE ARE AND WHO GOT US HERE.

Kiyaman

Legend
You guys make no sense.....NO GM makes every correct decision. There goal is to secure the future...

So here we are 2 years later.

1. We have a 500 Team.
2. We are the youngest team in the NBA.
3. We have Amare locked for 5 years.
4. Enough cap space to sign a star player in 2011.
5. Enough Cap space to sign a star player in 2012.

Yes mistakes along the way but if someone would have told me 2 years ago this is the position Donnie would have put us in I would have signed on the dotted line.

APPRECIATE WHERE WE ARE AND WHO GOT US HERE.

I appreciate the Miami Heat Pat Riley for taking Walsh "2010-Plan" and making it a reality. Miami built a "DYNASTY" for the next 6 years (4 Championship Rings). This offseason Pat Riley will go after PG-Jennings bad season.

As for the Knicks....
Dont believe the HYPE!

Two years ago assistant Herb Williams was suppose to become the Knick headcoach, plus the hiring of Patrick Ewing as his assistant coach wouldve automatically put discipline in the roster with Mark Aquire as his side kick on the staff.

Isiah biggest mistake on the Knicks was coaching from the G.M. office.
Isiah shouldve never came down to the practice facility (in 2003-4) and stop the team practice just to work out privately with Marbury. Isiah doing dum shit like that each season disgust Knick players.

What did we really have two years ago?
We didn't have a decent coaching-staff the last two years.
We did have two double-double bigmen in Zach & Lee, we had a low-post threat in Curry, We had a NBA ready SF-Wilson Chandler and a rough-neck Malik Rose to keep us above the bigmen edge. We also had a 6th lottery pick to get Mayo or Brook Lopez (to replace Crawford bad decision making, or replace a no show Jerome James).
We were suppose to be looking for players to replace Marbury & Crawford in the backcourt two years ago in the 2008 draft. also in the 2009 & 2010 draft (Rottens & Fields).

STAT1

Starter
Stop thinking or believing Carmelo high scoring can compete with old-Pierce or King James in a series...
Its not happening anytime soon

Carmelo Anthony was good enough to lead his team past Chris Paul & Dirk Nowitzki in the playoffs & took Kobe Bryant to 6 games in the Western Conference Finals, but he can't compete with Paul Pierce even with Amare & Chauncey helping him?

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
I think Frye had an even better sophmore season and then got axed by Isiah for Z-Bo.

But Fields brings more to the table in terms of energy and passion than Frye. I think he could turn out to be a 'nice guy' version of Sprewell.

I wouldn't call Fields the number 1 pick this draft. I'm sure Wall and Turner will be higher value players in 2-3 years, but he's definitely better than Olowokandi, Kwame and Bogut - who were all number 1 picks

smh
By " basically number one pick" I meant he's had the best play of all the ones in the draft this season lol. You never know though....

Either way, after all those picks we gave up over the last few years, amazing we got him.

Kiyaman

Legend
Carmelo Anthony was good enough to lead his team past Chris Paul & Dirk Nowitzki in the playoffs & took Kobe Bryant to 6 games in the Western Conference Finals, but he can't compete with Paul Pierce even with Amare & Chauncey helping him?

Git it right.... Chuancy Billups took the Nuggets pass a no-center & SF Hornets team, and a no-center & SF Mavs team.
Trevor Ariza & Odoms had their best postseason games in the 6 games vs Denver.

STAT1

Starter
Git it right.... Chuancy Billups took the Nuggets pass a no-center & SF Hornets team, and a no-center & SF Mavs team.

Carmelo's 27.2 points, 5.8 rebounds and 4.1 assist averages in the postseason that year had nothing to do with beating those teams? Wow.

tiger0330

Legend
I agree, AI and Melo would have gone nowhere. Chauncey was the catalyst that season.

la2ny

Starter
Jesus! Smh

don't guys get it by now...great players DO NOT win by themselves. Not Magic, not Bird, not MJ, not A'keem, not Shaq, not Kobe, not Duncan, not Pierce, Allen, or Garnett, not West, not Chamberlain, not Robertson, not Kareem, not Russel, not Walton, etc.

STAT1

Starter
I agree, AI and Melo would have gone nowhere. Chauncey was the catalyst that season.

There's no doubt Chauncey was big for the Nuggets in the playoffs that year but the Nuggets aren't going anywhere that year without Carmelo. The guy put up tremendous #'s throughout the regular season & during those playoffs. He carried the Nuggets in the 4th quarter of game 2 vs the Mavs and hit the game winner in game 3 to help them advance to the wcf, where he pretty much went shot for shot with Kobe in that series. Melo-STAT-Billups is a potent 1-2-3 punch. I'd put that up against the Celtics and take my chances even if we don't beat them the Celtics will have to play at their very best to beat us.

WrongIslander

Rotation player
There's no doubt Chauncey was big for the Nuggets in the playoffs that year but the Nuggets aren't going anywhere that year without Carmelo. The guy put up tremendous #'s throughout the regular season & during those playoffs. He carried the Nuggets in the 4th quarter of game 2 vs the Mavs and hit the game winner in game 3 to help them advance to the wcf, where he pretty much went shot for shot with Kobe in that series. Melo-STAT-Billups is a potent 1-2-3 punch. I'd put that up against the Celtics and take my chances even if we don't beat them the Celtics will have to play at their very best to beat us.

Defensively the Celtics still beat us in a 7 game series, even if you only take those 3 into account.

Melo isn't the answer, I completely agree, but he's a big part of the answer for so many reasons.

He's a clutch player who puts up big numbers and will drastically improve any team that he plays on that isn't the Celtics or Heat.

Bottom line, we DO need him or someone like him, an all star to add to our other all star (that people didn't want!) so we can then put more pieces around them and continue this SUCCESFUL (to this point) rebuild.