The Official "MeloDrama" Thread Feb 18th - Feb 24th

KBlack25

Starter
True. I dunno how reliable this "source" who tipped ESPN on Melo's intentions is.. but I hope they're wrong. Because if they aren't then we will have to suffer the sight of seeing Melo play across the river and eventually in a different borough than us..

The source could be someone in the Nuggets' front office trying to get us to up the offer for all we know...

Hayato

Benchwarmer
Unless Melo says no to an extension...

Which is what this all hinges on.

The answer to what Melo will do exists, unfortunately it exists exclusively in Melo's head.

he has to come here..he has to know he wants us

you know when youre around people, and a girl you like is one of those people whos around, and yet you talk to your friends instead of her, even though you like her? because youre afraid to talk to her/want her to see you and see you socializing? i think the knicks are that guy and melo is the girl...lets just hope the guy lets the girl KNOW he really wants her...

Hayato

Benchwarmer
I think we need to stand firm here and not take the bait. If he truly wants to be a Knick he'll be a Knick this offseason. Don't sell the farm to get this guy. He has already stated tha place he wants to be is in New York anyway. If he chooses to sign the extension with Denver...so be it. He will be the one not happy in the long run.

id be happy with 65 mil

nyk1986

Benchwarmer
It can drag itself out all it wants.. Our leverage is now 0 if the Nets and Melo really do have a deal in place akready.. Denver can demand everything from us and threaten to pull the trigger on the Nets trade if we don't comply.. But if Gallo's the one holding this trade up then wow just wow

The NUGGETS and Nets have a deal in place, Melo still has not said either way. Most Denver news outlets feel he will say no, or not even meet with the Nets. If Gallo truly is the sticking point D'antoni needs to go. There is no way they can coexist anyways because Gallo is to soft to be moved to the 4 and to slow to guard a real NBA 2 man. Dolan and Donnie need to express to Melo that we desperately do want him and going to NJ would be worse than hypothetically staying in Denver (which honestly will not happen, Denver does not want a disgruntled money grubber playing for them only to demand a trade next year or whenever the new CBA is agreed upon). Just tell NK no, tell NY to get something going and get him in orange and blue.

skisloper

Starter
The NUGGETS and Nets have a deal in place, Melo still has not said either way. Most Denver news outlets feel he will say no, or not even meet with the Nets. If Gallo truly is the sticking point D'antoni needs to go. There is no way they can coexist anyways because Gallo is to soft to be moved to the 4 and to slow to guard a real NBA 2 man. Dolan and Donnie need to express to Melo that we desperately do want him and going to NJ would be worse than hypothetically staying in Denver (which honestly will not happen, Denver does not want a disgruntled money grubber playing for them only to demand a trade next year or whenever the new CBA is agreed upon). Just tell NK no, tell NY to get something going and get him in orange and blue.

Do not be stupid.
Gallo the sticking point ?
Denver wants Gallo, Chandler, Fields, Felton, 1st rounder and Mozgov !!!!
Walsh said NO as we would pray he would.

who knows...i just can't wait for this to be over.

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Carmelo Anthony says "no meeting at all" is scheduled with the New Jersey Nets.
Speaking Friday at a community service event in south Los Angeles, Anthony says a reported meeting with Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov is "news to me."
Anthony says: "If I was to meet with that guy (Prokhorov) to be honest I really don't know what I would say."
Prokhorov told team executives last month to end drawn-out trade talks for the Denver Nuggets All-Star forward. Prokhorov's spokeswoman insists nothing has changed with the impending NBA trading deadline, despite multiple reports of a possible meeting and/or deal.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/basketball/nba/02/18/carmelo.meeting.ap/index.html#ixzz1ELaqgWzo

STAT1

Starter
I think a deal has to get done, the Knicks have invested 2 years clearing the way for it to happen, I think we've come too far in this to miss on Melo. We can't lose out on one of the best scorers in the game because we're too scared to lose a few role players. Donnie Walsh would never hear the end of it.

If you think about the terms of the deal that's been reported it's not all that unfair. Billups is a proven performer in the postseason, having experience like that running the point vs a team like the Heat or Celtics would be a plus, not a minus. Gallinari and Wilson are never going to have the type of impact that a player like Carmelo would on this team, so you can't let either of them hold up this deal. If the Knicks can at least hold onto Landry Fields so that we have a low cost option at the starting SG position, I think we have to make the deal. Timo Mozgov, Toney Douglas or any other extraneous piece is irrelevant, those guys can be easily replaced. A player like Carmelo Anthony can't.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
^Indeed.

One thing that I think I've really overlooked is the fact that we will be able to get those Jason Kapono/Kyle Korver/Kendrick Perkins/Tony Allen type players to sign for less money to play with us. It's the same reason the Lakers managed to lock in Ron Artest for so cheap (biting them in the ass, but still), because he took a discount to play with a contender, and the same reason Shaq went to Cleveland and Boston.

If we play our cards right we can get ourselves solid roleplayers like Sebastian Telfair and Marcus Banks and Jason Kapono and Anthony Carter, Kryrlo Fesenko, etc. for minimum contracts.

Pick up Kapono as an outside shooter, pick up Sebastian Telfair or Anthony Carter as our backup PG, pick up Fesenko as a backup C, and we're in business to be a damn solid team with a great bench.

We might miss our players but we can supplant them with solid roleplayers who are known for DEFENSE because we have Carmelo and Amar'e running the offense. Pick up Kapono to hit the outside 3, find a way to hold onto Landry Fields, and see Douglas and Kapono absolutely slaughter teams from behind the arc because Amar'e and Carmelo both demand double teams.

It's gonna be great.

Hayato

Benchwarmer
Meanwhile, Stefan Bondy of the NY Daily News says a deal is "essentially" in place, while Colin Stephenson of the Star-Ledger writes that their is neither a deal in place nor a meeting set up between Melo and the Nets. Ugh. Despite all the vague reports and misinformation, New Jersey and New York are still the most likely landing places for Melo. Feb 18, 2:51 PM

TheChosen1

Benchwarmer
Dolan Met With Carmelo On Thursday; Knicks, Nuggets To Hold Conference Call On Friday

Feb 18, 2011 16:40 PM EST
Anthony_Carmelo_den_110115.jpg

The Knicks and Nuggets are set for a high-level conference call concerning a potential trade for Carmelo Anthony.

In a surprise move, James Dolan already held a meeting with Anthony late Thursday in Los Angeles, beating Mikhail Prokhorov to the punch.

In the afternoon on Friday, Knicks front office members will get on the phone with Nuggets officials. Expected to be on the call are Dolan, Donnie Walsh, San Kroenke and Masai Uriji.

The Nuggets want three starters, including Raymond Felton, plus a number-one pick. Danilo Gallinari may be the hold-up to getting a deal done.

Anthony said he is unaware of a meeting with New Jersey and in all likelihood he is hoping that a deal can be agreed to between the Knicks and

Nuggets before any meeting with the Nets is scheduled.

Via New York Daily News

STAT1

Starter
One thing that I think I've really overlooked is the fact that we will be able to get those Jason Kapono/Kyle Korver/Kendrick Perkins/Tony Allen type players to sign for less money to play with us.

I totally agree with your line of thinking. We have seen marginal role players play big roles on top teams because of the elite talent they have anchoring the roster. Guys like Eddie House and Leon Powe that look great when they're playing with superstars are otherwise scrubs anywhere else. If you bring in a player like Carmelo Anthony to pair up with STAT, anyone else you play with those guys are automatically going to look a lot better than they really are. Look how great Joel Anthony looks in Miami on defense for example. When a player can focus their effort on 1 aspect and filling that role because they have 2 superstars that can carry the team offensively I think it makes everyone better in the long run.

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Blinking

Nothing is set in stone. This is likely to go down to the wire. There are perhaps four parties that can blink before the deadline.

Denver can say --take the deal with the Nets or we will not trade you. You will either extend with us or take your chances with the new CBA. If you extend with us, we can trade you wherever we want. If you do not extend, you are subject to a new and unknown CBA and will lose a lot of $$.

The Nets can say -- sign with us, but you have 24 hours to make a decision. We are not going to let you use us in order to increase a Knicks offer to Denver.

Melo can say I will sign with the Nets, whatever the timetable, unless the Knicks make an offer acceptable to Denver. In other words, I want my guaranteed money. Melo can also say -- I will take my chances in free agency. Get whatever you can from the Knicks now.

The Knicks can say -- this is our final offer, whaatever that may be, take it or leave it. We think we can get Melo as a free agent.

But anyone of these can blink. Who is it going to be? I have no idea, but I am afraid it might be the Knicks and that at Dolan's insistence we will give up too much.

As far as the suggestions that Gallinari is the hold-up, if so, I would like to know what the rest of the proposed deal was. Perhaps, though I doubt it, we already offered Fields and Mozgov, as well as Chandler, Felton and a 1st through AR..

Last edited:

Hayato

Benchwarmer
incaracaratebob said denver wanted felton, galo, chandler, curry, and a 1st but walsh didnt bite..hmmmmmmm..

if thats true then what the hell does he want to give up? jesus christ do you wanna do an even swap between bill walker and carmelo?

isnt felton leaving in 2012 anyway? is it galo?

idk maybe walsh wants to keep his cool til the very end and walk away with a steal

Hayato

Benchwarmer
we're talking to the Kings about Dalembert if we cant get carmelo...what the hell would we do with a C/PF?

STAT1

Starter
Hayato, it makes me scratch my head too how the Knicks could pass up on a deal like that if it was true what was reported. What exactly do the Knicks expect to give up in a trade for Carmelo? We're going to lose Wilson and Anthony Randolph anyway if we wait to sign him this summer, isn't Gallinari worth the price for the guarantee of getting Carmelo in a Knicks uniform and have him a few months early for another year's playoff run? I don't see how Danilo will ever realize his full potential playing with STAT and Carmelo anyway, there won't be enough scoring opportunities for him. His value will never be higher than it is now if we make this deal.

skisloper

Starter
Last report I read was
Fields, Gallo, Mozgov, Felton, Chandler and a 1st rounder.

As much as we want Melo would anyone do that this trade for Melo and Billups ?