Gallo or Fields

BreenForPrez

Benchwarmer
Sorry if there are tons of threads about this but lets say it comes down to this and Denver says "we will take either" who do you give up?

Ill get the ball rolling. Id give up Fields. I love him, and I love his game and how hard he plays, but Gallo has the potential to be lethal from outside. Imagine Amare inside, Melo mid range and Gallo outside. We would have legit threats from everywhere on the court. IMO we would have a better 3 option than Miami (miller) and Chicago (korver) and those are the two teams that wanted to beef up outside shooting.

I hate giving up either one, but lets be serious, if landry is whats holding up the deal, you do that in a second.

Thoughts?

Dario8676

Benchwarmer
Sorry if there are tons of threads about this but lets say it comes down to this and Denver says "we will take either" who do you give up?

Ill get the ball rolling. Id give up Fields. I love him, and I love his game and how hard he plays, but Gallo has the potential to be lethal from outside. Imagine Amare inside, Melo mid range and Gallo outside. We would have legit threats from everywhere on the court. IMO we would have a better 3 option than Miami (miller) and Chicago (korver) and those are the two teams that wanted to beef up outside shooting.

I hate giving up either one, but lets be serious, if landry is whats holding up the deal, you do that in a second.

Thoughts?

They already have asked for Galo over fields but me personally I would probably keep fields. I just don't see Galo getting much better over the years, and I can see Fields becoming one hell of a player.

I'd keep Fields. Melo would put Gallo to the bench, and if they did play at the same time, I can easily see Gallo getting lost in the offense and resorting to ball watching.

Fields on the other hand, is much more of an off the ball player. He doesn't need the ball in his hands to get his points, and thus would blend better with Melo and Amare who both dominate the ball.

Not to mention he seems to be that type of all around winner that teams need, a la James Posey.

Thoughts?
We need a wing guy that can play perimeter defense so we have to keep feels.I'd rather trade Gallo than fields.

BreenForPrez

Benchwarmer
So it appears people are willing to get rid of Gallo. Im sure people dont mind getting rid of randolph (only because D wont play him) and Eddy Curry. What about Wilson and RayRay?

I personally think RayRay was great in the beginning of the season but now he is just taking way too many shots. I think Wilson has a chance to be great, but thats if everything breaks his way. I think if Denver floated this proposal, you need to pull the trigger immediately.

Billups
Fields
Melo
Amare
The Moz

Thats stellar, especially with toney and shaun and ronnie coming off the bench

Dario8676

Benchwarmer
So it appears people are willing to get rid of Gallo. Im sure people dont mind getting rid of randolph (only because D wont play him) and Eddy Curry. What about Wilson and RayRay?

I personally think RayRay was great in the beginning of the season but now he is just taking way too many shots. I think Wilson has a chance to be great, but thats if everything breaks his way. I think if Denver floated this proposal, you need to pull the trigger immediately.

Billups
Fields
Melo
Amare
The Moz

Thats stellar, especially with toney and shaun and ronnie coming off the bench

That's a pretty sick starting lineup... Would Tony be our 6th man off the bench?

BreenForPrez

Benchwarmer
Id think that the 6th man would probably be either ronnie or a SG. D likes to use Toney and RayRay so potentially toney would come in as the 6th.

Anyone out there know is Melo plays SG at all?

skisloper

Starter
That's a pretty sick starting lineup... Would Tony be our 6th man off the bench?

I would not call it a sick line-up.
We lack defensive intensity.
Plus a bench of Williams, douglas, Turiaf is not quite the explosion that we need.
Hopefully Donnie can pull a back up point guard for us ......maybe a straight up deal for douglas....or combining douglas and walker...

Maybe roger Mason comes alive

BreenForPrez

Benchwarmer
How is that bench any different from the bench we have now? Its the same bench minus Wilson and we are getting a way better player in the starting line-up. Also, billups is a better big game PG than RayRay.

I agree the bench is a bit shallow, but maybe we could pull off a trade for sessions? Either way, throwing Melo into the starting lineup will take a little pressure off the bench to be good. Also, maybe the other pieces we get from Denver could be helpful. Also Azibuke SHOULD come back soon.

If the only reason to not do this deal is because of the bench and potentially the defense (not as if we had a lock down team before), pull the trigger

STAT1

Starter
I keep Fields because he's a much lower cost option to fill a starting role for the rest of this year and next. Carmelo plays the same position as Gallinari and I'd rather not play Amare at the 5 if I can avoid it.

skisloper

Starter
How is that bench any different from the bench we have now? Its the same bench minus Wilson and we are getting a way better player in the starting line-up. Also, billups is a better big game PG than RayRay.

I agree the bench is a bit shallow, but maybe we could pull off a trade for sessions? Either way, throwing Melo into the starting lineup will take a little pressure off the bench to be good. Also, maybe the other pieces we get from Denver could be helpful. Also Azibuke SHOULD come back soon.

If the only reason to not do this deal is because of the bench and potentially the defense (not as if we had a lock down team before), pull the trigger

The same bench minus Chandler is the reason why its a weaker bench.
I would do the deal as well but would not say its a sick starting 5.
Question is would that starting 5 be able to compete with the Magic, Heat and Celtics.

KBlack25

Starter
I just think Gallinari is the better player.

I like Fields' game a lot, I think he is smart, but I am not sure if he will be any better than what he is right now.

Honestly, Melo-Gallinari-STAT in the last two minutes is pretty unguardable.

STAT1

Starter

I like Fields' game a lot, I think he is smart, but I am not sure if he will be any better than what he is right now.

I agree Gallo is a better player but Fields is more suited to his role and gives us a starting option at the SG for this year and next at minimal dollars and he's very effective without having to have plays called for him on offense. Melo will be taking away a lot of the touches that normally go to Gallo anyway. If you trade Fields and keep Gallo, who are you starting at the SG, Bill Walker? If Azabuike was healthy I would rather keep Gallinari.

Melo-STAT-Billups is probably just as unguardable in crunchtime.

I agree that Gallinari is better right now than Fields.

But think about it, Fields is a rookie who makes hustle and effort plays. He's a hard worker and he will improve his game. With Melo and Amare, all we need from Fields beyond what he does now, is to work on the jumper.

As far as Felton v Billups, other than the fact that Billups is older, he's a more consistent shooter, which will be welcome running the PnR. Especially after Ray's horrific shooting lately.

Honestly, I like this trade, I just wish Melo would take somewhat of a discount, to allow us to go after Paul or Williams.

KBlack25

Starter
I agree Gallo is a better player but Fields is more suited to his role and gives us a starting option at the SG for this year and next at minimal dollars and he's very effective without having to have plays called for him on offense. Melo will be taking away a lot of the touches that normally go to Gallo anyway. If you trade Fields and keep Gallo, who are you starting at the SG, Bill Walker? If Azabuike was healthy I would rather keep Gallinari.

Melo-STAT-Billups is probably just as unguardable in crunchtime.

You could be right, but I doubt we have Billups (we def. don't have him after next year)...

The trade would give up a LOT to get Carmelo, any move we make it looks like a third star is pretty much out of the question...

STAT1

Starter
You could be right, but I doubt we have Billups (we def. don't have him after next year)...

The trade would give up a LOT to get Carmelo, any move we make it looks like a third star is pretty much out of the question...

Just curious, why do you doubt we have Billups? As far as I know his name is in every trade package being rumored right now. I don't think we'd necessarily buy him out after this season either, he's a perfect stopgap solution at the PG for next season and his large expiring contract will be of use in any future trades next year. If we have any chance at all at CP3 or Deron Williams I think we're going to have to trade for them either way. Even if we wait to sign Carmelo as a free agent I don't think we'd have enough cap space to sign 1 of those guys as free agents in 2012 unless I'm missing something.

KBlack25

Starter
Just curious, why do you doubt we have Billups? As far as I know his name is in every trade package being rumored right now. I don't think we'd necessarily buy him out after this season either, he's a perfect stopgap solution at the PG for next season and his large expiring contract will be of use in any future trades next year. If we have any chance at all at CP3 or Deron Williams I think we're going to have to trade for them either way. Even if we wait to sign Carmelo as a free agent I don't think we'd have enough cap space to sign 1 of those guys as free agents in 2012 unless I'm missing something.

Well he makes 13 million over the next two years, is aging, not really an MDA-style-PG, I think we will get him but I doubt he will be around long.

STAT1

Starter
Well he makes 13 million over the next two years, is aging, not really an MDA-style-PG, I think we will get him but I doubt he will be around long.

You might be right I guess, but I don't think we buy him out without a suitable replacement at the PG position. D'Antoni's system is absolutely reliant on having a PG that can execute the pick & roll and hit the 3 pt shot, both of which Billups is capable of doing. Not sure who we would replace him with if we bought him out Douglas is obviously not a PG that can run this offense. Maybe if we somehow landed Luke Ridnour in a separate trade?

pat

Starter
I love Gallo and think that he will turn out more of a star player, nevertheless, I'd keep Fields because you rarely come across a player who is doing ALL the little things right and who is that effective without needing any plays drawn up for him. A combination of slashing and solid outside shooting is much easier to find.